Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

MasBrillante posted:

This is some of the creepiest poo poo I’ve ever read.

That person just revealed, without a hint of understanding, the tools they use to control their children. Guilt, primarily, with a dash of potential tantrum if they don't meet your expectations immediately. Congrats to the seemed child who successfully saw through their bullshit, no your mother doesn't need some stupid measurements right away and if she throws a tantrum that's her problem not yours.

well done

MasBrillante posted:

I have told my 5 children, more then once, all about the day they were born. How happy and excited we were. Estranged children seem to forget it’s not just their birthday but also our day in bringing a new life into the world. As parents, we have equal stake in their birthday – the planning and preparations for the nursery, naming them, holding them close and cuddling them for the first time, those tiny feet and hands, talking to them, falling asleep with them in our arms. I remember all my children’s day of birth. I’m sure my estranged child doesn’t give me any thought on her birthday . I’m sure she doesn’t make any connection but she cannot take away that day of pure joy it was for me.

no, you don't. kindly gently caress off. so creepy how they've managed to make another person's birthday completely about them and how THEY felt when they had a child

MasBrillante posted:

For quite some time, I’ve read posts about estrangement involving DILs or SILs and want to start a new thread about these relationships.

Adding a new ‘ingredient’ to any ‘recipe’ will either enhance the outcome or ruin the dish. We know this from years spent in our kitchens. When there’s something ‘wrong’ with whatever is added, too spicy, too cold, outdated, there can be little to do but start over again. Sometimes, the basic ingredients are unavailable and then the menu must be changed.

For whatever the histories, the reasons, the shortcomings or failures in the psyches or character of our estranged,married ‘children,’ adding a spouse to the mix can be, and often is, toxic. Yes, we can put the onus on the new family member, but our adult children bear responsibility too for pulling away or disappearing. Maybe the antidote to the poison in their households is withdrawal or alienation. Perhaps it’s a self-preserving decision. Maybe it’s the only way they can see to save their presence in their children’s lives. I’m offering thoughts, not excuses, none of which are healthy ones. Maybe it isn’t directly about us but we are collateral damage.

We see ourselves, as parents, as the ‘main course’ on an estrangement menu. I’m going to play devil’s advocate here and suggest we are side dishes. This point of view has been the only way I could come to terms, after 17 years, with the damages (bad meals?) in my life with two married sons and ultimately destructive DILs, the mothers of estranged GC.

How many of us had fractious relationships with difficult MILs? Mine was beyond difficult. BUT, she was never excluded, she was a mother/grandmother whose position was respected and it would never have occurred to me to isolate or dismiss her from our lives. If I could I’d write -never-in caps. I am not angling for sainthood here, just presenting a different point of view. The estrangement epidemic in our society tells me our ‘kids’ throw out the dishes and don’t/won’t prepare another one for the table. Why this prevails is attributable to so many ingredients in our world today and for experts to address, not me.

Of course, we Mothers in particular think (believe?) an estrangement is about us. It can be, of course, but more often than not in these marriages it can be about an ingredient in a child that has spoiled. When that’s mixed with another……we know the result.

Healing a wound that will never fully heal requires distance, perspective, new thinking and time. Too much time. It demands that we write new menus for our lives, never the ones we could make with our eyes closed. We will develop new and nurturing recipes, ones that feed us. We will always love those tried and true dishes but know we can’t eat them any longer and feel well.

Our EC who live with difficult, controlling, selfish, immature, neurotic, punishing or mentally ill spouses are living in a hell different than ours. Thinking about their reality, not ours, is a first step in taking care of ourselves, always while recognizing our own heartbreak, honoring our questions about who our child has become, considering the pressures we can’t really know about and acknowledging that we are powerless to change anyone other than ourselves. Only the two people in a marriage know it’s Truth despite the clues others can imagine.

Please don’t misread this as some intellectual exercise. Self-talk only goes so far. Even after 17 yrs of struggle, something in my heart’s ache can produce ‘food poisoning’ but now I can recover much more quickly.

We know we were good Mothers (and Fathers) who didn’t do anything to deserve what we wound up with ( or without). We must turn all the love, nurturing, support and caring we gave our children towards our own brokenness to mend the wound as best as we can. Being here is a beginning.

I hope this post hasn’t offended anyone but that it prompts some thoughtful cyber-dialogue having voices with other points of view.

in which a woman stretches a metaphor to the breaking point and far beyond. Also, that bolded line lol. So brave and understanding of her to state categorically that neither she, nor anyone else on the entire forums, could possibly be to blame

sweet geek swag posted:

She's afraid her daughter killed herself, as the last thing her daughter texted to her was to tell her kids she loves them. Now whether or not she has reason to believe that is anyones guess, but she seems legitimately worried.

I don't think so. Let's read that part again:

quote:

I have been a mess all day because nobody has heard from her since Saturday when she talked to my sister. She had even sent me a text asking me to please tell her daughters (my granddaughters), that she loves them very much.

The daughter talked on the phone to the sister on Saturday. On a separate occasion, sometime in the past, she HAD texted that message. I wouldn't be surprised if they were completely different occasions, as in the daughter texted that to her a long time ago and she's just bringing it up as ammunition so she doesn't look completely insane, which she likely is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There are dogs with less seperation anxiety than her.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Play posted:

That person just revealed, without a hint of understanding, the tools they use to control their children. Guilt, primarily, with a dash of potential tantrum if they don't meet your expectations immediately. Congrats to the seemed child who successfully saw through their bullshit, no your mother doesn't need some stupid measurements right away and if she throws a tantrum that's her problem not yours.

well done

no, you don't. kindly gently caress off. so creepy how they've managed to make another person's birthday completely about them and how THEY felt when they had a child

in which a woman stretches a metaphor to the breaking point and far beyond. Also, that bolded line lol. So brave and understanding of her to state categorically that neither she, nor anyone else on the entire forums, could possibly be to blame

The daughter talked on the phone to the sister on Saturday. On a separate occasion, sometime in the past, she HAD texted that message. I wouldn't be surprised if they were completely different occasions, as in the daughter texted that to her a long time ago and she's just bringing it up as ammunition so she doesn't look completely insane, which she likely is.

It also turns out that the “children” are 16 and 20:

“I thought I was close to ED’s children, 20, 16, but haven’t contacted them, because if it feels awkward to me, I know it must be for them!”

It is likely she sent this message because grandma was WITH the grandchildren who are not, in fact, actually estranged and that it means exactly what it said.

Part of how these women gaslight is by jumbling up events out of time and sequence to make it seem like the signs are all there. To them, it’s not lying because their feelings are real. Some of them even claim it’s to add anonymity.

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

mllaneza posted:

It happened to me when I started approaching mom's height; mom's barely over five feet so I was 11-ish. That's when she started making jokes about putting a brick on my head. I was still hearing "You'll always be a child to me." in my late 40s.

Hello fello headbrick child

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some Bitch posted:

When we are stressed about paying bills and the child runs in the room and wants us to look at their play dough creation for the 5th time and we are trying to save the house or not get the power shut off and we snap at them or act dismissive to their “creativity” and they have hurt feelings, later is this reason for them to say we were “dismissive of their needs”. The other 4 times we were very attentive to the play do creation but those times don’t register, it was when we gave them a “bad feeling” they remember.

This woman seems to know exactly how she screwed up as a mother; she just wants everyone to tell her no, it's okay, you were too busy with bills to care about your child or what was important to them, it's not your fault.

And yeah, of course the kid is going to remember a time when you made them feel like garbage, why is this surprising.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
She sounds like someone who screamed at her kid at the drop of a hat because she was 'always stressed' and she even still is dismissive - why the quote marks around creativity? Sounds like her adult son tried to talk to her about it years later and she scoffed.

People tend to put more weight on bad events than good ones sure but lol

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I remember reading one of those mommy blogs that seemed normal enough at first, but a few entries in I got that weird uncanny valley creepy feeling, and soon I discovered that this mom wouldn't let her kids color or paint or do anything artistic like that because "They're not good at it and they're just going to waste the materials, and I need those for meeee." So she would buy crayons and paints and paper and poo poo, and just not allow her children to touch them. Her thing was like why should I encourage their "creativity" when it is going to cost me money/inconvenience me.

That was about 10 years ago, so I expect her to show up on these forums any day now.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

LyonsLions posted:

I remember reading one of those mommy blogs that seemed normal enough at first, but a few entries in I got that weird uncanny valley creepy feeling, and soon I discovered that this mom wouldn't let her kids color or paint or do anything artistic like that because "They're not good at it and they're just going to waste the materials, and I need those for meeee." So she would buy crayons and paints and paper and poo poo, and just not allow her children to touch them. Her thing was like why should I encourage their "creativity" when it is going to cost me money/inconvenience me.

That was about 10 years ago, so I expect her to show up on these forums any day now.

Holy shiiiiiiiiit. That is beyond sad. One of the best things about working with kids was their bizarre crayon renditions of me.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Why is the daughter-in-laws always evil? Is that a sign of a specific personality disorder? There was one a few pages back where the estranged mother/hell witch blamed multiple daughters-in-law for multiple estrangements that were all separate.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
it's mothers who are irrationally angry that their son has a relationship with a woman other than themselves

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Why is the daughter-in-laws always evil? Is that a sign of a specific personality disorder? There was one a few pages back where the estranged mother/hell witch blamed multiple daughters-in-law for multiple estrangements that were all separate.

Sweet sweet internalized misogyny plus the chaser of a false sense of “competition” eases the pain of being a poo poo parent. I know the stereotype is for the husband to complain about his MIL but I’ve seen some batshit MIL/SIL drama.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They hate their Sons In Law too. It’s super obvious when the son in law has finally had enough of his mother in law abusing his wife and he goes from the long-suffering poor sap that got saddled with my bitch daughter to the Most Abusive Husband.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

GI_Clutch posted:

It seemed like she was being demonized more for calling him out publicly than him for being racist publicly.

I'm addicted to this site (and advice columns and discussion boards in general), and on a related site I read this long comment that was so good I saved it:

quote:

Don't rock the boat.

I've been thinking about this phrase a lot lately, about how unfair it is. Because we aren't the ones rocking the boat. It's the crazy lady jumping up and down and running side to side. Not the one sitting in the corner quietly not giving a gently caress.

At some point in her youth, Mum/MIL gave the boat a little nudge. And look how everyone jumped to steady the boat! So she does it again, and again. Soon her family is in the habit of swaying to counteract the crazy. She moves left, they move right, balance is restored (temporarily). Life goes on. People move on to boats of their own.

The boat-rocker can't survive in a boat by herself. She's never had to face the consequences of her rocking. She'll tip over. So she finds an enabler: someone so proud of his boat-steadying skills that he secretly (or not so secretly) lives for the rocking.

The boat-rocker escalates. The boat-steadier can't manage alone, but can't let the boat tip. After all, he's the best boat-steadier ever, and that can't be true if his boat capsizes, so therefore his boat can't capsize. How can they fix the situation?

Ballast!

And the next generation of boat-steadiers is born.

A born boat-steadier doesn't know what solid ground feels like. He's so used to the constant swaying that anything else feels wrong and he'll fall over. There's a good chance the boat-rocker never taught him to swim either. He'll jump at the slightest twitch like his life depends on it, because it did .

When you're in their boat, you're expected to help steady it. When you decline, the other boat-steadiers get resentful. Look at you, just sitting there while they do all the work! They don't see that you aren't the one making the boat rock. They might not even see the life rafts available for them to get out. All they know is that the boat can't be allowed to tip, and you're not helping.

Now you and your partner get a boat of your own. With him not there, the balance of the boat changes. The remaining boat-steadiers have to work even harder.

While a rocking boat is most concerning to those inside, it does cause ripples. The nearby boats start to worry. They're getting splashed! Somebody do something!

So the flying monkeys are dispatched. Can't you and your partner see how much better it is for everyone (else) if you just get back on the boat and keep it steady? It would make their lives so much easier.

You know what would be easier? If they all just chucked the bitch overboard.

Anyway, thrilled about this thread.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Goth parenting, why the hell not.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love that Hozier likes the post.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Black is gender neutral and hides stains!

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Kid is going to grow up thinking pain is fun and will have the worst taste in everything.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

someone's rebellious phase is gonna involve a lot of tie dye

Saint Drogo fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Aug 2, 2019

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Saint Drogo posted:

someone's rebellious phase is gonna involve a lot of tie dye

I would like to meet the flower child rebel teen from a goth family.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wicker Man posted:

Kid is going to grow up thinking pain is fun and will have the worst taste in everything.

Don't doxx me

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Excellent The Giver roleplaying.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

That disembodied head of Miffy/Nijntje will be their best friend... until their parents throw it out.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

LadyPictureShow posted:

That disembodied head of Miffy/Nijntje will be their best friend... until their parents throw it out.

What are they gonna do with all that stuff once they throw their baby away?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

1redflag posted:

What are they gonna do with all that stuff once they throw their baby away?

Keep it in pristine condition in the attic; whine online when their EC doesn't want it for their precious grand-baby.

E: When I was 3, I had a stuffed bear I named 'Little Squisher'. He popped a seam and my mom said she would fix him. I asked about when he would be 'okay' at least twice a week for months. One day my dad yelled 'I threw him out!' when I asked. It was because he had a hole, and my mom wasn't bothering to repair it; she'd just put him in a box in the basement.

One time in an argument about him not respecting my things (I was in the hospital, he came to visit and proceeded to go through my apartment and go through/throw out some of my stuff) I said 'You've never given a poo poo about anybody else's stuff; you even threw out Little Squisher. He was my favorite!'
He didn't get my point and got mad that I was 'still hung up' on a toy from twenty years ago.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 2, 2019

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beachcomber posted:

Excellent The Giver roleplaying.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LadyPictureShow posted:

Keep it in pristine condition in the attic; whine online when their EC doesn't want it for their precious grand-baby.

E: When I was 3, I had a stuffed bear I named 'Little Squisher'. He popped a seam and my mom said she would fix him. I asked about when he would be 'okay' at least twice a week for months. One day my dad yelled 'I threw him out!' when I asked. It was because he had a hole, and my mom wasn't bothering to repair it; she'd just put him in a box in the basement.

One time in an argument about him not respecting my things (I was in the hospital, he came to visit and proceeded to go through my apartment and go through/throw out some of my stuff) I said 'You've never given a poo poo about anybody else's stuff; you even threw out Little Squisher. He was my favorite!'
He didn't get my point and got mad that I was 'still hung up' on a toy from twenty years ago.

Fuckkkk. One time my mom tried to throw away my bear that my dad had gotten as a replacement for my actual Teddy Bear (the one I was originally attached to, which ended up being returned to me). It’s head was falling off. I was crying hysterically, as I tended to do, and said I would sew her head back on to save her.

My parents let me keep this bear whose head is held onto its body by like five giant uneven loops of thread. As a teenager I hid stuff in its body.

This is because my parents are not broken.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

LadyPictureShow posted:

gently caress, I made a little 6:1 replica of a Gears of War lancer in college out of model magic. It took hours and hours and I was really proud of how well it turned out. I kept it in a side room of my parents house, out of the way, and when I came home one weekend it was broken with a bunch of the little detail pieces snapped off and missing. I asked my mom if she knew what happened and she said nothing, so I asked my dad and he scoffed at me and said, "well you kids have broken a lot of my things over the years." Didn't admit to breaking it, didn't apologize, just made a throwaway statement about kids breaking poo poo as if that is somehow abnormal for kids. I asked if he threw away the pieces that broke off and he said "I thought they were trash."

My parents were pretty lovely to me most of my life but once their parents started getting sick/dying they totally 180'd but it feels very hollow. The one time my dad ever kind of apologized it was at a huge family gathering, with no warning, in the middle of a restaurant, and he basically cornered me mid-conversation into accepting the apology.

We don't talk much. We get along fine now I guess but we only talk if someone died, is about to die, is getting married, or is knocked up.

They were completely different people with my brothers, but at least my brothers acknowledge as much. I think my middle brother is more hung up on how I was treated than I am at this point. I was used to it because it was all I knew, he didn't figure it out until he was in high school-early college.

13Pandora13 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 2, 2019

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

This is making me wonder about the Venn-diagram overlap for RP posters of "was callous about or careless with their children's possessions, don't understand why their children are still hung up on 'just toys' decades later" and "will hold grudges for years as a grown-rear end adult based on poo poo like wording on birthday cards." I suspect it is a circle.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

MasBrillante posted:

Fuckkkk. One time my mom tried to throw away my bear that my dad had gotten as a replacement for my actual Teddy Bear (the one I was originally attached to, which ended up being returned to me). It’s head was falling off. I was crying hysterically, as I tended to do, and said I would sew her head back on to save her.

My parents let me keep this bear whose head is held onto its body by like five giant uneven loops of thread. As a teenager I hid stuff in its body.

This is because my parents are not broken.

My family had it's fair share of issues, between BPD in several of us, untreated sleep apnea, divorce and anger issues. But I clearly remember one time we turned the whole car around, drove 30 minutes back to the hotel to get my sister's stuffed bunny, and then resumed our trip. On a different occasion my parents paid shipping across the country when it got lost before a plane ride.

She still has that bunny. It is super threadbare and she's repaired it herself several times. We both still talk to both of our parents and visit them when we can.

Treatment of the kid's favorite toys seems to be one of many canaries in the coal mine.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Relentless posted:

Treatment of the kid's favorite toys seems to be one of many canaries in the coal mine.

Yeah, same with our share of issues because we are a group of individuals, after all. But I think you’re right - often abusive parents cannot empathize with anyone other than them caring about an object they see as worthless. And in their ageism, they assume all parents must think the same thing.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

LadyPictureShow posted:

My 35 y.o. wife will never forgive her mom for the loss of both Puppy and Blankie. She put them in the laundry like she was supposed to and somehow they ended up in a donation bag.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Play posted:

well done

Yeah, she's really incoherent on another read. Pretty much everything in that post makes very little sense. I think my brain was just tryjng to create a path through that made sense.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sweet geek swag posted:

Yeah, she's really incoherent on another read. Pretty much everything in that post makes very little sense. I think my brain was just tryjng to create a path through that made sense.

Honestly that’s probably exactly what they are going for.

Edit: And these are well-practiced abusers. They are good at it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

I see they haven't barcoded the back of his head yet.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Renewed, I’m sorry that you’re going through this with the rest of us, but glad you’re here as knowing you’re not alone is very helpful.

Speaking as a Christian, my advice to you is to pray that God will soften your child’s heart towards you. Have you ever heard the saying that goes something to the effect of ‘the same water that hardens the egg softens the potato’? Only God can soften someone’s heart and give you grace and favor in their site.

That’s the only reason I believe I have somewhat of a relationship with my son. My ex started turning him against me when he was in grade school so when we split up when he was 9, he refused to live with me. He’ll be 40 later this summer and I’ve been trying to re-establish a relationship for over 30 years. I hear from him when it’s convenient for him. I know if he had his druthers he wouldn’t have a relationship with me as he’s told me so.

For the life of me, I don’t know why God has allowed this to happen to me as I was a good mother and tried to raise my raise in the fear and admonition of the Lord, but my ex overruled me and allowed our son to do whatever he wanted so of course that was who my son wanted to be with. I was ‘the old biddie’ that he didn’t have to listen to. All I can say is that we don’t know why God works in our lives the way he does, and that He can bring great good out of great evil.

I think you have to be emotionally ready to move on, and when you are, it’s like you are finally done with the crying, guilt and shame.

Yes, I totally believe your 40 year old son still hates you because his dad “turned him against” you when he was in 2nd grade.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

MasBrillante posted:

Yes, I totally believe your 40 year old son still hates you because his dad “turned him against” you when he was in 2nd grade.

Also, she clearly hasn’t caught on that god is trying to tell her that SHE is the one that needs to change, not her son.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Beachcomber posted:

My 35 y.o. wife will never forgive her mom for the loss of both Puppy and Blankie. She put them in the laundry like she was supposed to and somehow they ended up in a donation bag.

A similar thing happened to Ayn Rand and look how that turned out.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"The same water that hardens the egg softens the potato" is fantastic bullshit pseudo-folk pseudo-wisdom. I want it on a fake distressed barnwood plaque for my kitchen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Another good one prompted by something 13pandora13 said: My dad started the only ‘apology’ conversation with me about how he was when I was a kid that summed up to “I was young and I didn’t want a kid” while we were driving from the hotel to my wedding

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 3, 2019