Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

wafflethief posted:

drat, you guys make my Attilla seem normal-ish.

He never pees outside his box, only small poops nearby but never more than a meter away. Grouchy and very picky about his hay. Used to use his hay bin as a toilet so now it just gets put on a shelf in his litter tray.

He also seems to have (mostly) lost his taste for USB wires.

Probably a dumb question but do you put hay in his litter box as well? Or make the hay manger litter box accessible? (I like to have 2, one at the litter box with hay in the box too, since they go through it so fast, and one elsewhere near the food/water)

Rabbits need to eat while they evacuate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Funny you should mention this. She has a husbun-in-waiting, but both of them need to be desexed and her husbun (Bart, who is a Holland Lop as well... I think they call his pattern a charlie?) needs to get over his nasal infection.

This is Bart burrito'd and getting his meds. I cannot get over this face.

D’awww. If he’s getting super sweetened syrupy meds with kickin painkillers like Jareth got for an ear infection one time then he probably loves it.

Veterinary meds often have unacceptable-for-humans levels of additives and adulterants to make them palatable to animals.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

D’awww. If he’s getting super sweetened syrupy meds with kickin painkillers like Jareth got for an ear infection one time then he probably loves it.

Veterinary meds often have unacceptable-for-humans levels of additives and adulterants to make them palatable to animals.

Apparently he is very angry about taking his meds, but once he's all wrapped up, he's calmed down. He's such a little grump!

Also! This is an older photo of Nutmeg (and my coworker, Amber). I can assure you all that the car is stopped and parked safely, and that after this Nutmeg was placed safely in her carrier. She just really loves to perch!

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Probably a dumb question but do you put hay in his litter box as well? Or make the hay manger litter box accessible? (I like to have 2, one at the litter box with hay in the box too, since they go through it so fast, and one elsewhere near the food/water)

Rabbits need to eat while they evacuate.

Yea it was right next to it where he could reach it while doing his business. He just preferred to sit on top of it instead. The shelf its on now means he cant quite squeeze on top of it, but its still plenty accessible at pooptime.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is there anything to do for a rabbit that's scared besides leave her alone? Came home to them working on the apartment next door very noisily and boom-ily and Lillian will only sit in the corner of her pen and shake :(

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013
Not sure, maybe make sure has somewhere dark to hide?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RichterIX posted:

Is there anything to do for a rabbit that's scared besides leave her alone? Came home to them working on the apartment next door very noisily and boom-ily and Lillian will only sit in the corner of her pen and shake :(
Wrap her in a tight blanket and hold her. Pay attention to her body temp, they'll get chilled when they're scared. Sometimes rabbits get scared, and they generally recover fine if it's not too bad. Also this:

wafflethief posted:

Not sure, maybe make sure has somewhere dark to hide?
It helps a lot.

You could also move the pen to someplace quieter if the work's going to go on, or put up some foam blocks or something around it to block some sound.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Cool, thanks guys. She has a little dark hut that she was hiding in, after the work stopped I opened her pen and she came out to hassle me for food after a half hour or so. She's acting pretty normal now.

I hope today was the only work day. If it keeps happening I might move her pen upstairs temporarily, she usually deals with changes of venue pretty well. She may get some blanket time tomorrow if it's still going on.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

RichterIX posted:

Cool, thanks guys. She has a little dark hut that she was hiding in, after the work stopped I opened her pen and she came out to hassle me for food after a half hour or so. She's acting pretty normal now.

I hope today was the only work day. If it keeps happening I might move her pen upstairs temporarily, she usually deals with changes of venue pretty well. She may get some blanket time tomorrow if it's still going on.

If it keeps happening she’ll probably get used to it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If it keeps happening she’ll probably get used to it.

This is true. My rabbits got used to the fire alarm going off.

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

grack posted:

And now we know the quality of the food in your house.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

grack posted:

Our Himalayan follows the vacuum cleaner around to try and figure out whether it's the boss or he is.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Good news everyone, Broussette is finally back to her clean self! :toot:
I suspect a big part of it was moving her hay rack back next to her litter box and I feel real dumb for not thinking about it sooner.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Our Himalayan follows the vacuum cleaner around to try and figure out whether it's the boss or he is.

At home the established bun-hierarchy goes like this: me > bunny > other people > roomba. Poor roomba used to be at the top but she eventually figured out it was all bark and no bite.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Also I didn't remember seeing pictures of the Himalayan so I checked and...

FactsAreUseless posted:

Here is rabbit.

Just lol. That's some trust right there, you've got a great bun. :allears:

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Yeah, I was actually kind of surprised that the work next door bothered Lillian so much because she generally likes to investigate noisy things, and will generally follow the insanely loud shop vac around when we are cleaning up her pen. I think it was the booming that got to her-- I could hardly hear anything but when I sat on the floor I could feel the whole building vibrating from whatever godforsaken thing they were doing.

This morning she violently flopped in front of me so she seems to be okay at least for now.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Also I didn't remember seeing pictures of the Himalayan so I checked and...

Just lol. That's some trust right there, you've got a great bun. :allears:
He's an exceptionally sleepy rabbit. He spends most of his time either asleep in a ball on his feet or flopped over.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also sleepy

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

looks like the usb popped out. no wonder why your rabbit fell asleep (:kimchi: i'm a sucker for the patchwork/harlequin/the ol' shotgun of fur coloring rabbits :kimchi:)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

a big fat bunny posted:

looks like the usb popped out. no wonder why your rabbit fell asleep (:kimchi: i'm a sucker for the patchwork/harlequin/the ol' shotgun of fur coloring rabbits :kimchi:)
I have decoy cords scattered around my computer desk. The Harlequin has no incisors and the Himalayan mostly goes after cardboard but sometimes he goes after cords due to boredom or curiosity and the decoys have worked well to keep him from biting anything that matters.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
Has anyone here ever heard of the streamer Mopgarden? She has a super cute bunny named Buster, and earlier this week she did an ASMR stream that ended with her bringing him out to chill.

Buster is apparently a very vocal bunny.

https://twitter.com/MopGarden/status/1153761159645974528

Have any of you ever had a bunny that honks when it gets pets? I watched the ~30 minutes before this, and he was literally just sitting in her lap (and occasionally getting offered carrot, which he refused). He just honks a lot.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm not going to watch an ASMR video unless it's 100% rabbits eating.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

That rabbit is either very happy or having a severe asthma attack

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Man, it’s a shame that dogs and rabs aren’t compatible. Every time I think about getting back into keeping rabs I remember my eventual goal to get a dog and I’m like “welp can’t get on the whole bun ball and chain for 12 years”

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Counterpoint: Rabbits own.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
A rabbit is like a little dog that uses a litter box, and that you can't take to a winery. You win, society wins.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Halloween Jack posted:

A rabbit is like a little dog that uses a litter box, and that you can't take to a winery. You win, society wins.

...What did your rabbit do to a winery? :ohdear:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's wasn't their bun.

Look, Harriet likes to swirl a glass of something red while she plots. And if the winery has subpar red, well then that's where the line must be drawn.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nothing, because I don't want him getting eaten by some bougie couple's unleashed dog, or trampled by their vile children.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Anyone here ever move cross country with a bun?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Anyone here ever move cross country with a bun?

Yeah moved cross country with 3 flemmies. Our vet recommended we basically try to do the trip as fast as possible while not exceeding 12 hours on the road a day. Took 5 days total, but we had to drive very very far. The vet also recommended against taking extra breaks on the ride for the rabbits and just trying to get it done.

Brought some tarps to keep under them when xpenned in the motels. Be extra certain the hotel actually accepts pets, we had multiple websites lie about that.

Because of previous illness we and the vet were comfortable with us doing intramuscular saline so we got prescribed a bag of saline, needles, and medicam. Didn’t need it but it was a nice backup.

Some rabbits can be finicky drinkers and dehydration is the big risk, so we also bought some Horse Quench, basically apple flavoring for horses/rabbits. Didn’t need it, but it was a funny purchase.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Ok. Will definitely get our vets recommendation. Fiancee got a job in Olympia, so we will be moving there from Madison WI. We will probably drive out there with her car and the rabbit and a car full of other crap, I'll fly back and finish things up at my job and then drive out with a uhaul.

How did you have the rabbits in the car? Right now we have just a small carrier that we take him to the vet in, but I would feel bad having him locked in that small thing for 12 hours a day.

At the same time, she has a small 2 door hatchback with not very much room.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Ok. Will definitely get our vets recommendation. Fiancee got a job in Olympia, so we will be moving there from Madison WI. We will probably drive out there with her car and the rabbit and a car full of other crap, I'll fly back and finish things up at my job and then drive out with a uhaul.

How did you have the rabbits in the car? Right now we have just a small carrier that we take him to the vet in, but I would feel bad having him locked in that small thing for 12 hours a day.

At the same time, she has a small 2 door hatchback with not very much room.

We used a collapsible medium sized dog carrier for all 3 flemmies because they’re big. But just make sure there’s enough vertical space to sit up if desired. Doesn’t need to be a big carrier, and a smaller one is safer from a restrain perspective in case of sudden movement.

They spent most of their time hunkered down, but would perk up when we stopped and let them out.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Anybody have experience with their rabbit suddenly deciding to dig out their litter box? Ludo suddenly developed this habit while we were on a weekend trip. At first I thought he was acting out because we left him with a pet sitter for a weekend, and maybe because his little playhouse got damaged. Now I think he just likes doing it.

A big lop can kick a lot of litter around, and after I cleaned it up, he'd just do it again as soon as he needed to use the litter box. Fresh litter didn't make a difference; the only thing that does is putting some paper down on top of his litter. But I'm reticent to do that, since it's a health risk.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Can you provide him with a box he’s allowed to dig in maybe?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I forgot to mention, I took him outside in his harness yesterday and tried to get him to dig in the garden, but he wasn't interested. I should take him out more often, though. He also got a nail trim; maybe that will help.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Anybody have experience with their rabbit suddenly deciding to dig out their litter box? Ludo suddenly developed this habit while we were on a weekend trip. At first I thought he was acting out because we left him with a pet sitter for a weekend, and maybe because his little playhouse got damaged. Now I think he just likes doing it.

A big lop can kick a lot of litter around, and after I cleaned it up, he'd just do it again as soon as he needed to use the litter box. Fresh litter didn't make a difference; the only thing that does is putting some paper down on top of his litter. But I'm reticent to do that, since it's a health risk.

Oh man. Once they start doing it it's a bitch to get them to stop. Marfa and Spock both had seemingly different reasons for doing it and I never could quite stamp out the behavior. Throwing down a layer of fresh hay seems to help, but that may end up wasting some hay/creating a potential source of illness depending on 1) whether the rabbits pee and poo poo all over it 2) whether the rabbits will still eat the peed and shat-upon hay.

In a wild/warren setting, rabbits seem to want to dig their burrows when they need more space or to clean out a smelly "latrine" compartment. Conventional wisdom is that house rabbits will often start digging out their litter boxes to "clean out" a smelly or unsatisfactory litter box or if they feel cramped/cabin fever in their enclosures and want more space (they're trying to make their "den" bigger). However, lots of rabbits also seem to dig almost compulsively or in response to stress or for pleasure. There's also an argument to be made that digging out the litter box is a really good way to trigger a response and get attention from a distressed and confused human.

I never tied it 100% but it seemed as though the frequency of litter box emptyings would go up when the mangers were out of hay/the litter box was wetter or smellier/so on.

Many rabbit owners recommend having a dig box filled with some kind of substrate like litter, pellets, paper, or even soil. I've also heard of stacks of phonebook paper (beware of ink!) placed in the box for the rabbit to make its own substrate with. There are arguments that using a different kind of substrate from what's in the litter box and placing it away from the litter box prevents the rabbit from simply adopting it as a second place to piss and poo poo, but I've also heard lots of horror stories about rabbits relieving themselves in their dig boxes and becoming used to it/preferring them/then having their litter box training become all messed up and destabilized.

One thing I tried with limited success was switching from paper pellets to Feline Pine, if only because they're a bit heavier/larger and harder to fling than other litter. You want to be careful with rabs eating the wood litter but mine never did, but YMMV.

Godspeeeeeed and tell us all about your journey! Sorry this is all disjointed and rambly and I don't have better advice to offer!

Invest in a cheap wet/dry vac if you haven't already!!!!!!!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Rabbits are genetically programmed to dig, and once they've found a spot they like it's really difficult to get them to stop. You could put a backstop around the litterbox to keep him from flinging crap all over the place.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Also worth getting a litter tray with high sides and potentially even a lid (maybe one of those fancy igloo ones PetSmart sells that have a little staircase so Ludo can feel like he's entering his own little Sanctum SantorumSanctorium whenever he has to make plops/he can slip and fall while getting in or out and never use it again). Also recommended- putting the litter tray inside a container like a cardboard box or large bin with a round entrance hole cut out. Good luck dude! Try all the things and tell us how it goes!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

edit: I have never had a rabbit that sleeps as hard as this doofus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Is this where I can post to see if a rabbit would be a good pet for me? I'm doing it anyway.

I currently live alone in a larger than average suburban studio apartment and work full-time. It gets pretty lonely here because I am a Something Awful goon and was thinking of getting a pet. My landlord disallows dogs but everything else is fair game. I'm not too fond of cats, birds, reptiles, or small rodents, so I was thinking a rabbit would be a good fit. I've been looking into rabbit ownership 101 in my spare time but still can't really decide if I would be able to properly care for a rabbit to the fullest extent. Here are my gripes:

- I work 9 to 5 and sometimes get stuck in overtime up to 8pm or sooner. The rabbit would be alone for possibly 12 hours at a time and I don't know if that's detrimental to a social animal.

- It's very possible to rabbit-proof my home, but I get nervous at the idea that the rabbit would find some way to endanger itself anyway. I would like it to free-roam even when I am not in the house.

- I'm not opposed to getting two rabbits to alleviate the first issue, but it sounds like a much bigger task. I would of course find the most ethical method to get a rabbit and avoid pet store chains.

- If I had to leave for something like a business trip, could I have someone else without rabbit experience easily care for it?

- Do they smell? Does the large amount of hay they eat smell? Do I smell?

For reference, the only other animal I've had as a pet is a small dog.