Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, that was one main thing that turned me off of the comic. Butcher is cast in the role of "amoral bastard, but you can't help but kinda want to like him", except the writing in the comic usually didn't manage to deliver on the latter half, so you ended up with "amoral unlikable bastard that is constantly being wanked by the writing". Show Butcher is less over the top, and just as importantly Urban is so loving charming that you actually do kinda want to like him. That loving Spice Girls monologue :allears:

Book Butcher always gently caress the CIA woman in an ugly pose and do sexposition. So dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

after watching the show (pretty good, basically anti-capitalist agitprop) i went and skimmed some of the comics... and im very glad the changed the show a lot.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Garth Ennis was really important to me growing up, because Preacher was the only comic book that ever really felt worth reading, and it got me into other alternative comics like Transmetropolitan and Hellboy and The Walking Dead, back before those things had worn out their welcome.

I stopped reading the boys at Love Sausage and I really enjoyed this show. Simon Pegg was an excellent dad.

I’m all in for S2. I’m really interested to see where they take all the characters. The only actor I’m not crazy about is Huey, I think everyone else is perfect.

I saw some twitter buzz to the effect of “The Boys is a trash show and not worth watching because of its attempts to make abusers appear sympathetic” and I gotta say as hosed up as it is, watching the Deep’s life spiral into garbage until he himself is being sexually abused by a normal woman is honestly one of the bolder takes on the show and I could easily see S2 turn him into an eco-terrorist just as easily as I could see a reverse heel-turn (until it comes out that he raped Starlight and Huey kills him or something)

Also I have to give props to the writers. Hearing Billy tell his origin story, then hearing what the doctor told Homelander, I was so sad and bummed. It felt like such a painful and harsh story to tell. I’m genuinely impressed that the ending of S1 was less gruesome but somehow, to me at least, even sadder and more hosed up.

And yeah I’m literally terrified of Homelander.

I also think only Kimiko having super strength works better for the show and genuinely makes the story more engaging. One of the reasons I stopped reading the Boys comics was because every single storyline was just resolved by fisticuffs, this TV set up just requires smarter writing.

Kripke worked on Supernatural? I made it like 8 seasons in before I just couldn’t make more room in my head for stupid bullshit.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bust Rodd posted:

one of the bolder takes on the show

giving the middle eastern guy the super power of suicide bombing was certainly a choice. got a bit of a :chloe: out of me but nobody else has really brought it up so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And I have no interest in ever watching Supernatural, but from what I understand the big draw of the show was the really well written main characters and not being afraid to switch up the status quo like having good guys become villains and vice versa.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 2, 2019

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

bring back old gbs posted:

giving the middle eastern guy the super power of suicide bombing was certainly a choice. got a bit of a :chloe: out of me but nobody else has really brought it up so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is one of things that stuck out as A Real Problem. There's quibbles like when it's a big deal that the Mayor of Baltimore or whatever knew about Compound-V but petty stage moms across america know too? Or the fact that none of the "heros" did a heel turn prior to the events of the show. These are small snags in an overall well laid out setting and they can be hand waived away with writing and the right pacing can keep the audience from even thinking about it so whatever.

But the first supe created in the Middle East just happens to get nuclear self-explodey abilities...Maybe this was Garth Ennis' contribution to season one?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Bust Rodd posted:

I also think only Kimiko having super strength works better for the show and genuinely makes the story more engaging. One of the reasons I stopped reading the Boys comics was because every single storyline was just resolved by fisticuffs, this TV set up just requires smarter writing.

Yeah, I liked that turn as well. It was kind of 'meh' that every supergroup was dealt with by 'each of the Boys mutilates someone'.

Frenchie being a weapons expert was a cool turn, and of course, relying on this thread's darling, Laser Baby, is more fun and interesting than 'super-strength punch'.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dr. Poz posted:

This is one of things that stuck out as A Real Problem. There's quibbles like when it's a big deal that the Mayor of Baltimore or whatever knew about Compound-V but petty stage moms across america know too? Or the fact that none of the "heros" did a heel turn prior to the events of the show. These are small snags in an overall well laid out setting and they can be hand waived away with writing and the right pacing can keep the audience from even thinking about it so whatever.

But the first supe created in the Middle East just happens to get nuclear self-explodey abilities...Maybe this was Garth Ennis' contribution to season one?

Homelander said he'd been trying for a long time, the nuke guy was just the first one to go into action.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dr. Poz posted:

Or the fact that none of the "heros" did a heel turn prior to the events of the show.

Isn't it heavily implied that they did but that it was always successfully covered up? I mean hell even by the end of the season no one knows that most of the seven are bad guys. Even The Deep was handled by good old corporate PR.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
I enjoyed the comics when they came out. Going back and rereading, there is so much crass, juvenile, often sexist Ennis humour that I'm glad they cut out of the show.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

I could easily see S2 turn him into an eco-terrorist just as easily as I could see a reverse heel-turn (until it comes out that he raped Starlight and Huey kills him or something)

I hope they keep him in a side arc as an eco-terrorist. In the comics he's portrayed as being pretty savvy and peaces out before the poo poo hits the fan.

Also there is no way a budget aquaman is getting rapey with Starlight. With how her character has developed she would fry him if he even looked at her inappropriately after that first incident. He can talk to lobsters and breath underwater, she is bulletproof and flings energy blasts.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'm honestly anticipating the Seven splitting straight down the middle, if not eventually coming down to the rest of them versus Homelander.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I listened to a doofy rear end in a top hat at work go on a 5 minute rant about how the actress playing Queen Maeve would make a better Wonder Woman than Gal Gadot and he swore to god it had nothing to do with Gal being Israeli and Dominique McElligott being a white Irish woman.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I absolutely love that after like ~50 years Aquaman finally got a cool actor that embodies the character and finally gets to be taken seriously by the public with a big budget movie that wasn't terribly reviewed, then The Boys comes out with The Deep who's like a rapist idiot and not even that jacked and steals the spotlight.

I want eco terrorist DEEP. They shoot it in Toronto, work the Ripley's VOUGHT Aquarium into it

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 2, 2019

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Rhyno posted:

I listened to a doofy rear end in a top hat at work go on a 5 minute rant about how the actress playing Queen Maeve would make a better Wonder Woman than Gal Gadot and he swore to god it had nothing to do with Gal being Israeli and Dominique McElligott being a white Irish woman.

Gina Carano IMO. Either as wonder woman, or just to tie me up and step on me and call me a pathetic man-worm not worthy of her boots.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rhyno posted:

israelis are white.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Groovelord Neato posted:

israelis are white.

Not to a lot of racists!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

bring back old gbs posted:

:actually: There was no suicide at all. :v: You see him walk away from the building unharmed even though he's on fire.

They should have absolutely given him a different power.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If you don’t think that “a suicide bomber who keeps serving their own blast” isn’t the literal perfect foil to Homelander I don’t know what to say. Who cares if it’s too on the nose, it’s just poetry.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Imagine having opinions about the nationality of the bad guy on a show where the good guys kill someone by shoving a bomb up their rear end.

Also Butcher's accent reminds me of Slade Wilson's accent on Arrow, which is a good thing.

SardonicTyrant fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 2, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he should've been able to control vehicles with his mind and rammed them into crowds.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
There have been a few characters whose power was to blow themselves up again and again. That guy from Marvel's Civil War, an unnamed kid from Stormwatch: Team Achilles, and Der Schreck from an RPG called Godlike are the ones that come to mind.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

KNIFECRIME, A Near Eastern descended guy in the UK who can teleport the nearest kitchen knife into his hand.

As a huge nerd i was bothered by a Sunni supervillain with a big gently caress off tattoo. :colbert:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Groovelord Neato posted:

he should've been able to control vehicles with his mind and rammed them into crowds.

A technokinetic Supe would be interesting.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
There are no telekinetic supes, it's just Translucent trolling them

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Watched this over the past couple of days.

It started out strong but started to fall apart around the religion episode. The guy playing Homelander is doing a good job carrying it though and I'm willing to give S2 a chance just for him.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

what kind of villain were some of you expecting homelander, a superhero fueled by nationalism and hate, to create?

were you expecting the blonde haired, blue-eyed ubermensch to fight the klan or some poo poo? lol.

eternal war is eternal revenue.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Owlbear Camus posted:

KNIFECRIME, A Near Eastern descended guy in the UK who can teleport the nearest kitchen knife into his hand.

As a huge nerd i was bothered by a Sunni supervillain with a big gently caress off tattoo. :colbert:

Look buddy if were worried about what is and what isn't haram im like 99% compound V is on that list

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he didn't "create" it since the powers gained are random.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Bust Rodd posted:

Look buddy if were worried about what is and what isn't haram im like 99% compound V is on that list
ten bucks its real life adrenochrome.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey just cause this is the only real thread for it, my pie-in-the-sky Make-A-Wish foundation level deathbed request is a shaved head Timothy Olyphant as Spider Jerusalem with Aubrey Plaza as Yelena. I'm sure there are lots of tall, buxom blondes who could play Channon, but Caitlyn Olson would perfectly embody the snark.

Seriously, with Preacher and The Boys both being critically acclaimed successes a man can dream.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

Homelander said he'd been trying for a long time, the nuke guy was just the first one to go into action.

Right, but I don't mean "specifically engineered a super villain," I mean a kid was born a supe and either due to nature or nurture just turned out to be not heroic in even the slightest sense. Like, being a Vought employee just never held appeal.

MiddleOne posted:

Isn't it heavily implied that they did but that it was always successfully covered up? I mean hell even by the end of the season no one knows that most of the seven are bad guys. Even The Deep was handled by good old corporate PR.

I don't remember it being implied, but I was expecting some kind of acknowledgement like that. As for the spoilered bit: This is the kind of "hand waving" I was talking about, but please don't take this as a negative for the show. It's something that is simply not that important to the plot at hand, but stuck out to me. Yes corporate PR can take care of a lot of problems, especially with Super Hero backing, everyone falls short, and some people are just lovely in a way that can't be concealed.

Like I said, not a huge gripe, but something that makes the world building feel just a little bit incomplete to me.

Dr. Poz fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 2, 2019

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Groovelord Neato posted:

he didn't "create" it since the powers gained are random.

Im fine with the story being that Homelander ran experiment after experiment. killing every hopeful and kind candidate until he managed to find an exploding psychopath, they pay lip service to this by Homelander saying it took forever to find the guy.

But it's arguably more problematic to have Homelander exploding brown guy after brown guy set to the Rocky theme as he realizes they all have friendly and heroic intentions for their new abilities. So maybe that's why it just got the one line

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 2, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just read the line as "the supifacation process is basically lethal" and the survivors end up as mute c-spam mods, like Kimiko. Captain has enough brains left to explode, then look directly at the camera and blow up again. It probably just took dozens of tests before they had a guy who was sane enough to turn loose.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

the superdupers plotline just took a very dark turn...

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Homelander's already pretty Nazi as it is so wondering what benefit Stormfront could bring to the series.

SardonicTyrant posted:

ten bucks its real life adrenochrome.

In the comics Butcher describes Compound V to Hughie and says something along the lines of "Now the synthesis involves some hosed up process that you don't want to know about", so basically

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Homelander's already pretty Nazi as it is so wondering what benefit Stormfront could bring to the series.

pr campaign after homelander has a heated gaming moment.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

gender-swapping stormfront is a bad move because it shows a massive misunderstanding of fascism.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Groovelord Neato posted:

gender-swapping stormfront is a bad move because it shows a massive misunderstanding of fascism.

Plenty of fascist women in the Trump admin and they've already made Maeve a bit too sympathetic for it to really work with her.

Although if they make her into a "Shazam" like character who also switches gender when she powerups just lol at that kind of massive fuckup

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

Could be redeemed if she has the "wait Gilead sucks for the Wives who collaborate, too?" moment a lot of CHUD barbies experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
I call them Klaus Barbies. Anyway, Groovelord is right.