Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The irony is that the '94 event had few issues outside of the rain and mud, and that just ended up adding to the experience. They had a loving blueprint in front of them but they tossed it aside because they wouldn't make enough money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Alhazred posted:

Seems on brand considering that the original Woodstock festival was also a huge clusterfuck where everything went wrong.
No kidding; when people look back nostalgically at the OG Woodstock, they are ignoring all of the crazy poo poo from there

Let’s face it, a concert like that is also just not that important anymore when you can livestream a concert from your house. Also the music industry is becoming less and less homogenized thanks to the Internet; which is why you have random guys from online like the Old Town Road kid having a giant hit despite never doing anything before that.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I'm pretty sure the experience of actually being at a concert is different than streaming it

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

FlamingLiberal posted:

Let’s face it, a concert like that is also just not that important anymore when you can livestream a concert from your house.

I was wondering "what's the wrongest thing I'll read all week" and here it is, you've saved me the trouble of going to look for it.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

brugroffil posted:

I'm pretty sure the experience of actually being at a concert is different than streaming it

It is but it's not the be-all end-all of music experience.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
depends on the music

streaming a metal show vs attending a live metal show are two very different beasts

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
streaming Wacken while I take a huge dump is pretty sweet

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

brugroffil posted:

Get a load of this old guy. :corsair:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodstock_%2799

Read the whole thing, it's amazing. They burned a American flag on the main stage, a bunch of fires started and a van got torched, ATM machines were smashed open, riots everywhere. They had to call in the NY State Troopers to restore order.

It sounds like a reenactment of the Playboy concert show from Apocalypse Now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

food court bailiff posted:

I was wondering "what's the wrongest thing I'll read all week" and here it is, you've saved me the trouble of going to look for it.
I’m saying compared to 1968.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

brugroffil posted:

It is but you can't always attend a live concert. If you're living in, say, Mongolia but your favorite band is from Nebraska that makes it kind of difficult to actually go see them. If a concert is streamed it isn't the best experience possible but at least you can watch them live. Maybe invite your closest Mongolian friends over if they haven't heard of them, that sort of thing. It also lets lesser bands get a lot more exposure as really how much does it cost to stream something? It's practically free considering that practically everybody has an intertubes connection these days. Actual band tours might not come anywhere near where you live or your schedule might not fit in heading for a venue that's two hours away.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

SO DEMANDING posted:

Move to somewhere with a Microcenter :getin:

I live in Houston, my dude :kiddo: 3 Fry's and 1 Microcenter. It's a pain in the rear end to get into the microcenter here since they moved. The traffic flow sucks right there. 59, westpark tollway, and 610 all come together right there and it's a right followed by an immediate 'jump across 2 lanes to an unprotected left on a busy street'.

e: I was going to show the lovely intersection and end up showing how gritty a part of Houston it's in too https://www.google.com/maps/@29.725413,-95.468313,3a,75y,142.17h,62.22t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_T2_90nMjaFrweNcO7YenA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

BloodBag has a new favorite as of 18:26 on Aug 2, 2019

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It is but you can't always attend a live concert. If you're living in, say, Mongolia but your favorite band is from Nebraska that makes it kind of difficult to actually go see them. If a concert is streamed it isn't the best experience possible but at least you can watch them live. Maybe invite your closest Mongolian friends over if they haven't heard of them, that sort of thing. It also lets lesser bands get a lot more exposure as really how much does it cost to stream something? It's practically free considering that practically everybody has an intertubes connection these days. Actual band tours might not come anywhere near where you live or your schedule might not fit in heading for a venue that's two hours away.

Oh for sure, but I was responding to someone who seemed to be saying it was an almost the same thing substitute. Especially for a festival style concert, it's not!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Indeed. It did seem they said that when what they said was taken out of context.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Waynestock was better anyway even though Aerosmith was the only act and they arrived late.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Microcenter Chat: A few years of living just around the corner from the nearest Microcenter spoils you in ways you've never realized. During that time I made a grand total of zero Newegg purchases, because why bother?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm guessing Fry's is probably going the place of most electronics stores where the internet just killed its business model dead, you can get speciality parts without having to rummage through bins and shelves, and off-the-shelf electronics you can also get online and basically anywhere else.

Dick Smith's down under died a similar death, though apparently a massive bungled deal on an overmarketed video game tablet accessory helped it along. JB Hi-Fi seems to be doing okay though. I think it's one niche you can do well with as long as you don't gently caress up because it's high-margin products that people like to get a look at and try before they buy.

TBH this sucks, since I'm the type of shopper who wants to actually see, touch and feel the product and take it home with me that very day instead of waiting days for it to show up on my front doorstep. It sucks even more now that I live in a city with very limited brick-and-mortar options for electronics. I've watched as places like Circuit City, CompUSA and Radio Shack died with nothing other than internet shopping to replace them. All that's left in my neck of the woods is a local shop that caters mostly to ham radio buffs and offers hilariously overpriced PC components and......Best Buy.

Shame about Fry's. The last time I visited the one near Gwinnett Place, things didn't seem that dire. But there wasn't much foot traffic, either.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

BloodBag posted:

What's going on with Fry's electronics? Stores nationwide look like they're emptying out of inventory.

https://www.thelayoff.com/t/YbiPZw8

What do?

That's a bummer. There just were things at Frys that weren't easy to get elsewhere, even online. There's no where to buy a server rack in Tucson, and buying one online often means freight costs. Also not to mention when poo poo goes wrong on the weekend and you run a 24/7 program, driving to Frys to grab something that Best Buy doesn't have is a lot more palatable than waiting for the lovely local computer store to open on Monday.

And it was one of my favorite places to just browse the aisles.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

TBH this sucks, since I'm the type of shopper who wants to actually see, touch and feel the product and take it home with me that very day instead of waiting days for it to show up on my front doorstep. It sucks even more now that I live in a city with very limited brick-and-mortar options for electronics. I've watched as places like Circuit City, CompUSA and Radio Shack died with nothing other than internet shopping to replace them. All that's left in my neck of the woods is a local shop that caters mostly to ham radio buffs and offers hilariously overpriced PC components and......Best Buy.

You know what kind of shopping sucks to do online? Gifts for friends when you don't have something specific in mind. It's nice being able to walk around a place and come across something in the store that you might not have known to even look for if you had to intentionally search for it.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Dick Smith's might have died anyway but they were absolutely murdered for profit by the new owners that bought them for maybe $10 million, legally cooked the books, sold $500 million of shares and escaped before the hollowed-out husk collapsed

https://foragerfunds.com/news/dick-smith-is-the-greatest-private-equity-heist-of-all-time

At least we still have Jaycar.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

BigDave posted:

Les Wexner, yeah. He's the only client of Epstein's they have been able to verify, and the two of them have been very close. Epstein almost certainly has video of him loving children

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/25/business/jeffrey-epstein-wexner-victorias-secret.html

Fixed.

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
Seconding the Micro Center love. Was running HDMI cable from my PC to the TV in the living room. Cable 2 ft too short. I had another cable I could bridge the gap with, but no coupler. Went to Micro Center, asked for a female-female HDMI coupler, he hands me the product, and I'm in and out in a minute. They're the epitome of, "Turning the screw: $1. Knowing which screw to turn: $10,000."

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

It was amazing when the Renton Fry's first opened. It was packed, and there was just so much there. Over the last few years, though, I've seen a consistent decline. I doubt the back row of registers has been opened in the last decade, even on Black Friday. Huge swathes of shelves were often bare and pegs were empty everywhere. I'm also a very hands-on sort of buyer, and I've bought my last few computers cases because I could handle them at Fry's and they always had a big selection.
I started going again in the last couple months because it's computer upgrade time, and went to look at the motherboards. They had like 6 models, all older, NONE on display, and some they hadn't even bothered printing up a picture of the board layout. Their RAM list board was confusing and messy. The area where they have computers and laptops on display were consolidated onto like 4 islands instead of the usual, like, 8. Maybe had a dozen monitor models on display. The TV section was a third empty. The console gaming section was reduced to two aisles, and organization was terrible at best. I've been mentioning it to friends, and that I thought it would be fairly easy to consolidate the entire store into half the square footage because it was so empty.

There are no Microcenters anywhere near me--the nearest seems to be in LA, about 1200 miles. There are almost no stores that carry computer components anymore. Best Buy has a handful of component brands and models on shelves. Most 'computer stores' in the area are just tech support, and none of the other types are big enough to have decent variety.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I live in Minneapolis, and as far as I know we only have one Microcenter in a first-ring burb. I’ve only been there once when I was building a graphics rig for rendering software about ten years ago but I was absolutely amazed by it.

I had no idea it existed.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Wtf are you all on about? Microcenter is like the unholy spawn of Montgomery Ward loving Radio Shack.

All the employees are creepy weird dudes incapable of communicating.

Inventory seems to be a random assortment of poorly organized, usually overpriced poo poo that fell out of an overturned truck in Hong Kong.

Should you actually find something you want, checkout lines take forever because they try to get you to fill out ten surveys and forms at the register. Why do they need to keep six people waiting while they try to get some poor sob’s address and pitch an extended warranty for his nine dollar phone cable?

Want to return something? Just LOL.

Microcenter is poo poo and I predict their demise within five years if the others are half as bad as mine.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
For years they were your only decent option for local Mac sales and support. The first time I ever went there was helping a friend bring her Mac Classic in for a repair. They're still the cheapest place to buy Apple computers.

It's also your only local option for most maker stuff like Raspberry Pi's. They actually charge MSRP (or lower) whereas all the sellers on Amazon charge twice as much for the tough to stock options.

High Lord Elbow posted:

Wtf are you all on about? Microcenter is like the unholy spawn of Montgomery Ward loving Radio Shack.

Inventory seems to be a random assortment of poorly organized, usually overpriced poo poo that fell out of an overturned truck in Hong Kong.

Should you actually find something you want, checkout lines take forever because they try to get you to fill out ten surveys and forms at the register. Why do they need to keep six people waiting while they try to get some poor sob’s address and pitch an extended warranty for his nine dollar phone cable?

Microcenter is poo poo and I predict their demise within five years if the others are half as bad as mine.

You must have a really bad manager at your location. I've never experienced any of that.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I live in Minneapolis, and as far as I know we only have one Microcenter in a first-ring burb. I’ve only been there once when I was building a graphics rig for rendering software about ten years ago but I was absolutely amazed by it.

I had no idea it existed.

That's the one I shop at, and yeah it's kinda hidden. You'll probably never drive by it by accident. And nthing Microcenter appreciation. They're very good at what they do.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Definitely echoing the Micro Center love. I'm lucky enough to have one 20 minutes away and both recent build I did I bought parts from them. Processor/Mobo combos are sweet, knowledgeable employees are great, and even though other parts were like $5-10 more expensive than hunting online it was convenient just grabbing everything there and fun wandering around a huge computer parts wonderland

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Aw gently caress. I haven't been to Fry's since my kids were born because they're loving money vampires... but I used to just love walking the aisles and dreaming of those hi-fi components and TVs.

And as a kid, I'd get the friday paper just to see their poorly laid out backpage specials ad.

I think they got new owners or something. They put a lot of emphasis on their email newsletter with the personalized coupon code that takes $5 or whatever off. They've also been trying to get some kind of live podcast/FBLive thing off the ground.

But yeah, Microcenter is addictive

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

Aw gently caress. I haven't been to Fry's since my kids were born because they're loving money vampires... but I used to just love walking the aisles and dreaming of those hi-fi components and TVs.

And as a kid, I'd get the friday paper just to see their poorly laid out backpage specials ad.

I think they got new owners or something. They put a lot of emphasis on their email newsletter with the personalized coupon code that takes $5 or whatever off. They've also been trying to get some kind of live podcast/FBLive thing off the ground.

But yeah, Microcenter is addictive

I could support a reasonable drug habit with what I'm spending on kids shoes these days.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

tactlessbastard posted:

I could support a reasonable drug habit with what I'm spending on kids shoes these days.

When I told my friend what I was spending on childcare back in 2005 his reaction was 'that's an Xbox a week!'. He now has a child in private school and I'm pretty sure he's spending a iPhone XR a week.

If GameStop could somehow leverage their manchild market with actual childcare they'd be golden.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
True. I think we'll be in the $400 range for 2 kids@5 days/week... and that's still like half what some of my friends pay for childcare.

The crazy thing is that it's not dumb lucrative since you need to constantly hire staff and make sure the kid-teacher ratios are right.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

My oldest starts kindergarten this fall. Instead of daycare cash, we’re gonna buy a car.

The monthly payment will still be less than childcare.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

High Lord Elbow posted:

Sorry you have a lovely Microcenter :(

My "local" one (its an hour away), is fantastic. Clean, always well stocked, and always busy. Never had them ask for anything at the register nor push extended warranties.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

BloodBag posted:

I live in Houston, my dude :kiddo: 3 Fry's and 1 Microcenter. It's a pain in the rear end to get into the microcenter here since they moved. The traffic flow sucks right there. 59, westpark tollway, and 610 all come together right there and it's a right followed by an immediate 'jump across 2 lanes to an unprotected left on a busy street'.

e: I was going to show the lovely intersection and end up showing how gritty a part of Houston it's in too https://www.google.com/maps/@29.725413,-95.468313,3a,75y,142.17h,62.22t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_T2_90nMjaFrweNcO7YenA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Christ this really is the worst. You'd think there would be a side entrance and a quick U-turn under the freeway would let you zip in but nope!

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

In early adulthood, I moved to, and lived for a few years, in a major metropolitan area, and my first computer was this hand-me-down frankenstein thing from my stepbrother and his friend. It had Windows 98 (not SE) on it, to give an idea of timeframe. They took me to the local Microcenter and said "welcome to your new home" as they swept their arms across the isles, game-show-style. It was a wondrous place, yet a bit overwhelming because I knew much less about computers then. Frank needed a new HDD (and eventually, a new GPU for an Everquest experiment), but I think we also had a CompUSA in the area because I remember buying both of those in the same place but the store was a vastly different layout than what I remember of MC.

My external HDD backup drive is now 10 years old; that same Microcenter is still accessible, just a 2½ hour drive away. Maybe I'll head up there and buy a new drive, to trigger the nostalgia neurons.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone else noticed Petsmart just getting shittier poo poo in when it comes to livestock? I mean mostly fish (though I do laugh now, seeing they sell snakes and scorpions; in my orientation the dude glibly said that people who buy or shop for 'those animals' are not Petsmart people. That was over a decade ago and clearly Petsmart realized they needed those people!) but overall the store I used to work at is loving gutted. They removed half the fish tanks, everything is tiny and standard size rather, the waterfall planted tank is gone. I see a ton of new dog and cat foods, but the fact they have 'grocery store' brands and an entire aisle of those makes me laugh. Again, years ago in training being told Petsmart only sold the good and best stuff, when now you can get loving Alpo.

Live animals is one of the few places where people balk at buying online, if only for paying for overnight shipping or dealing with DOAs. And I say that as someone who has spent a few grand over the years on shipping fish to me!

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
The Fry’s in Las Vegas has been in serious decline for four or five years. When I went back last year, there were like four employees working in 200,000 square feet of store, the shelves were half empty, and the processors and motherboards glued to the wall were like a year out of date. I didn’t bother going in during this year’s visit, but my friends who still live there assure me it sucks rear end.

On the other hand, I live close to a Microcenter, and get to play the “order one online for pickup, but also grab one off the shelf” game with quantity-limited Raspberry Pis. Fry’s doesn’t even carry Raspberry Pi stuff. No wonder they’re going out of business.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Petsmart. Where the pets mart.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Walmart

Where are the walls?

Oh.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cowslips Warren posted:

Has anyone else noticed Petsmart just getting shittier poo poo in when it comes to livestock? I mean mostly fish (though I do laugh now, seeing they sell snakes and scorpions; in my orientation the dude glibly said that people who buy or shop for 'those animals' are not Petsmart people. That was over a decade ago and clearly Petsmart realized they needed those people!) but overall the store I used to work at is loving gutted. They removed half the fish tanks, everything is tiny and standard size rather, the waterfall planted tank is gone. I see a ton of new dog and cat foods, but the fact they have 'grocery store' brands and an entire aisle of those makes me laugh. Again, years ago in training being told Petsmart only sold the good and best stuff, when now you can get loving Alpo.

Live animals is one of the few places where people balk at buying online, if only for paying for overnight shipping or dealing with DOAs. And I say that as someone who has spent a few grand over the years on shipping fish to me!

I went to Petsmart this weekend for the first time in a year or two, and it's definitely a lot more cramped than I remember it being, like literally if you stick your butt out leaning down, you're going to hit the shelves behind you. It's definitely weird that they'd even bother stocking the lovely foods considering that you can pick that up at any Walmart.

I thought maybe it was just my nearest Petsmart, this makes me wonder which vulture capital bought it out.