Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I like the beyond meat burgers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
patent office should have been closed in like 1910 which was the first time someone asked. nothing was invented in the 20th century

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yep.

“Everything that can be invented has been invented.” Charles H Duell,. Commissioner of the US Patent Office 1899.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
he really didnt say that dont be dumb

mystes
May 31, 2006

“640K ought to be enough for anyone.” Charles H Duell, Commissioner of the US Patent Office 1899.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
also that big security issue i mentioned about the health care services provider:

https://www.joepaduda.com/2019/07/26/corvels-problem-may-be-ransomware/

russian ransomware lol

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

def. close the patent office to software yeah

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Munkeymon posted:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

:agreed:

name one good invention from like, the last decade, i'll wait :colbert:
this is clearly the right attitude

and since i posted about car firewalls, its now possible to own a self-driving car through its cameras in this pdf
there's also a moving jpg of the proof of concept:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP-qTdRugEI

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Munkeymon posted:

At least don't allow transferring parents to shell companies that only use the patent to litigate or license out. If you aren't using it directly gently caress right off.

mystes
May 31, 2006

necrotic posted:

At least don't allow transferring parents to shell companies that only use the patent to litigate or license out. If you aren't using it directly gently caress right off.
This is problematic because it screws over people who invent things but don't have the resources to manufacture them themselves.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
if your patent is worth a poo poo you'll be able to find the money

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

mystes posted:

This is problematic because it screws over people who invent things but don't have the resources to manufacture them themselves.

You should be able to dispute a patent if the owner isn't using it

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

FOIA'd FBI report on an OpenBSD infrastructure attack back in 2002 posted:

________ has administrative control over the Internet host cvs.openbsd.org and ________ has administrative control over the Internet host ftp.openbsd.org
From here. I'm not sure what to make of this.
EDIT: This makes it seem as if it's quite legit.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 2, 2019

mystes
May 31, 2006

Chalks posted:

You should be able to dispute a patent if the owner isn't using it
Then why would anyone offer to license it if they could just wait and dispute the patent?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

D. Ebdrup posted:

and since i posted about car firewalls, its now possible to own a self-driving car through its cameras in this pdf
there's also a moving jpg of the proof of concept:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP-qTdRugEI

lmao hell yeah

now just do a buffer overflow so it goes full blast into the column :getin:

mystes
May 31, 2006

D. Ebdrup posted:

From here. I'm not sure what to make of this.
EDIT: This makes it seem as if it's quite legit.
Isn't this just the FBI investigating after oprnbsd's server got hacked?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

mystes posted:

Isn't this just the FBI investigating after oprnbsd's server got hacked?
If the vcs server with the code got hacked and there aren't cryptographically signed files from before and after the hack that can be verified, Reflections On Trusting Trust by Ken Thompson should pretty much scares the living daylights out of anyone, I think?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mystes posted:

that seems less important in the software context

mystes
May 31, 2006

D. Ebdrup posted:

If the vcs server with the code got hacked and there aren't cryptographically signed files from before and after the hack that can be verified, Reflections On Trusting Trust by Ken Thompson should pretty much scares the living daylights out of anyone, I think?
If the FBI was investigating, openbsd probably knew about it, and as long as they had any backups (even if not signed) they could presumably have looked at them to see if anything was changed?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

that seems less important in the software context
If software should be patentable it would be dumb to add additional rules just for software that would screw over inventors. If software isn't patentable then it's a moot point.

Everyone always thinks that banning patent trolls is the obvious solution but it's actually really hard to define patent trolls. It's much better to limit what can be patented somehow or grant fewer patents although it may be hard to decide how to do that either.

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 2, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

mystes posted:

If the FBI was investigating, openbsd probably knew about it, and as long as they had any backups (even if not signed) they could presumably have looked at them to see if anything was changed?
I would hope so, but there's no transparency about it. It also doesn't, at least to me, appear to be related to the other infamous OpenBSD hack which is what Theo talks about in this thread.
At least, the FOIA'd request makes it seem as someone outside of FBI got access to the code?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

mystes posted:

this is probably a fair assessment considering that the openbsd people are (rightfully) possibly the most security-conscious and/or paranoid bunch on the planet

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hi guys I submitted a FOIA request for all information about backdoors they sent me a document about anal sex. Do you think I've uncovered some sort of smoking gun?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Krankenstyle posted:

lmao hell yeah

now just do a buffer overflow so it goes full blast into the column :getin:

little bobby ram-firetruck we call him

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

mystes posted:

Hi guys I submitted a FOIA request for all information about backdoors they sent me a document about anal sex. Do you think I've uncovered some sort of smoking gun?
:nws::https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3377048&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=397#post497212974

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

mystes posted:

hot take: it isn’t obvious why the first person who has an idea should be entitled to collect rent from it anyway. just cancel patents imo. creative people are still gonna invent useful things, and the world will be a better place with less ip hoarding and rent-seeking

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you are willing to have all research funded directly by the government that might sort of work I guess.

The other problem you'll run into is that with no incentive for disclosure, people who invent stuff are going to do everything they can to keep it secret forever if they can still make money that way.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
what is this, im not good with computers.

:(

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 2, 2019

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Schadenboner posted:

Welp, the dirty deal is done. I’m the proud driver of a ‘15 Fiesta.

:sigh:

The Mirage was just a little too small, and a 1.2L lawnmower engine was just a little too scary.

l... loading canbus hacking tools?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mystes posted:

If you are willing to have all research funded directly by the government that might sort of work I guess.

The other problem you'll run into is that with no incentive for disclosure, people who invent stuff are going to do everything they can to keep it secret forever if they can still make money that way.

if you aren’t careful, nbsd will appear and loudly explain bizarro-world IP law to this thread too

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Soricidus posted:

hot take: it isn’t obvious why the first person who has an idea should be entitled to collect rent from it anyway.

its actually incredibly obvious

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
counterpoint; its not

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't know what to think any more

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

haveblue posted:

I don't know what to think any more
dont, and let strangers on the internet tell you what to think

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

mystes posted:

which works fine for many things

for software specifically there seems to be plenty of motivation to invent even without exclusivity, it's hard to keep software techniques secret, there's way too much in the way of independent reinvention being shut down, and the patents are usually obfuscated to the point that they're barely helpful to others. and they last too long.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

no more secrets

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dylan16807 posted:

for software specifically there seems to be plenty of motivation to invent even without exclusivity, it's hard to keep software techniques secret, there's way too much in the way of independent reinvention being shut down, and the patents are usually obfuscated to the point that they're barely helpful to others. and they last too long.
I think unfortunately we've reached a point where it is probably is possible to keep software techniques secret with stuff moving to cloud services and I'm a bit concerned about that, but yeah I don't think eliminating software patents would make much difference and they do last too long for software.

Like the best thing I can think of as a legitimate software patent is SIFT and that was academic research that would have been done even without software patents.

I just feel the need to point out that if you eliminated all patents you would have to fund pharma research directly but that wouldn't be a bad thing.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

mystes posted:

I just feel the need to point out that if you eliminated all patents you would have to fund pharma research directly but that wouldn't be a bad thing.

If we get to get rid of all of the sales and marketing overhead of pharma I'm not seeing a downside.

I think IP law isn't a bad idea but it dramatically needs updating. Patents are based on the idea that it takes years for news of discoveries to travel, Copyright is great if you're Disney and terrible if you're anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Volmarias posted:

Patents are based on the idea that it takes years for news of discoveries to travel

lmao no they aren't. they're based on the idea that news of discoveries will travel fast, therefore you need protection since clearly other people will want to take your idea

like in the time when the constitution was written, which explicitly grants congress the ability "To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;" you would be able to get news from all the way around the world in about 3-4 months and transatlantic communications were typically 3-4 weeks each way - news of an invention would take quite a lot less than years to travel