Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Hector Delgado posted:

Finally someone who appreciates Birdemic

We are legion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The only good thing about Birdemic is the Rifftrax of Birdemic.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Policenaut posted:

Another year, another hope that Keichiro Toyama (SIREN, Gravity Rush) has something new to show us.

https://twitter.com/PlayStation_jp/status/1157305070523842560?s=19

Fuuuckkkk

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

GreenNight posted:

The only good thing about Birdemic is the Rifftrax of Birdemic.

Even the Rifftrax of Birdemic is hard to watch, and I say that as someone who will frequently answer “what’s your favorite movie” with “Battlefield Earth”.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Dewgy posted:

Even the Rifftrax of Birdemic is hard to watch, and I say that as someone who will frequently answer “what’s your favorite movie” with “Battlefield Earth”.

Replace Battlefield Earth with Twilight.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Oh good grief I did not realise I had forgotten to say the film. It is the Lone Ranger. I just had a stupidly fun time with it and I think it might be more favoured later on in life.

Also it is much much younger than I realised! I would have said 2007 maybe 2008. Nope. 2013.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

VideoGames posted:

^^ My friend, prey is incredible. I got sucked into the story the same way as I did God of War and Nier:Automata. Basically if you have ever played and liked System Shock, then this is System Shock 3 :D

Thread, I just sat down with Lady Videogames to watch a film I know has been maligned for a long while just to see if it truly was bad and I ended up having a really good time. Maybe it was due to the time span between it being released and the time I watched it, but I had an absolutely great time and I will definitely go to bat for it from now on!

Oh wow, it’s that good huh? So far we seem to be very similar in what hits us in story games so I’ll absolutely get that in the backlog. I haven’t played System Shock because my pc was poo poo back then so that never registers for me when people say it about Prey. I think I understand what the general gameplay is in the “genre” though. Like an immersive fps game that has some life sim like vibes? More of a granular experience of the details? I’m not explaining my view of it well but it actually seems to line up with my interests.

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Are you going to Skellige for the first time? You can just head there and fast travel back whenever, the only barrier is the content in Skellige is a few levels higher than most of the base stuff in Novigrad.

Yeah first time, I forgot that it was possible to fast travel back and forth. Cool!

gey muckle mowser posted:

You can finish TF2's campaign in like 6-7 hours, it's short but really great. Play that first and then go back to RDR2.

I always enjoyed fps campaigns around that length. Like sure you better have good mp and other replayability to back it up but it’s SO much fun to blast through an exciting fps story in a day or two.

BBQ Dave posted:

Here's what I think makes it rare and awesome (no spoilers):
- The amazingly designed environment you get to know and feels like a real space (signage, living spaces, there are enough bathrooms etc.).
- A crafting system so simple it never gets annoying, but things still feel scarce enough for it to feel survival horror and presented in such a way that it feels like you're turning in your tickets at an arcade rather than slaving away at a work bench.
- RPG elements that let you drastically change your character for radically different playthroughs
- It's scary. Not Bioshock scary, system shock scary.

Not going to lie this sounds incredible :aaa: I’m weak for well designed environments and that kind of obsessive detail.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

the year 2019 could be when I finally get into Prey and Dishonored lol

e: are the audio and surround issues in Prey really as bad as people seem to think?

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 2, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

VideoGames posted:

Oh good grief I did not realise I had forgotten to say the film. It is the Lone Ranger. I just had a stupidly fun time with it and I think it might be more favoured later on in life.

Also it is much much younger than I realised! I would have said 2007 maybe 2008. Nope. 2013.

The last half hour of The Lone Ranger is great. It's unfortunate that you have to sit through an extremely boring two hour long movie to get there.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It's also extremely weird that the first two hours of The Lone Ranger are basically a remake of Dead Man. Dead Man is a western from the 90s about an effete white city slicker who goes out West and gets shot, left for dead, and blamed for a crime he didn't commit. But an eccentric Native American finds him, declares that his brush with death has given him essentially magic powers, and nurses him back to health. The white man toughens up and learns to fight and becomes a cool western tough guy.

It's literally the exact same plot. The primary differences being that Dead Man was lauded for it's portrayal of Native Americans, using all native actors for native roles and having long dialogue sections in native languages.

And before you say it's just a coincidence, the white guy in Dead Man was played by Johnny Depp.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I'd watch Lone Ranger again over Wild Wild West anyday. Cowboys vs Aliens was amazingly dull.

My 2 cents.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Did that Pride and Prejudice movie with the Predator ever come out

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Kilometers Davis posted:

the year 2019 could be when I finally get into Prey and Dishonored lol

e: are the audio and surround issues in Prey really as bad as people seem to think?

The only really bad issue I know about Prey is the loading times suck, especially on PS4. If you can play it on PC on an ssd that'd be the way to go. I didn't notice any audio issues but I don't have surround either.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Dead Man is real good, I think that was a Jim Jarmusch film.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Donovan Trip posted:

Dead Man is real good, I think that was a Jim Jarmusch film.

I watched this in a film class, where Prof was a massive William Blake fan who hated Johnny Depp. He was so conflicted. Good film.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Brightman posted:

The only really bad issue I know about Prey is the loading times suck, especially on PS4. If you can play it on PC on an ssd that'd be the way to go. I didn't notice any audio issues but I don't have surround either.

Games like Prey really make me hope Sony isn't blowing smoke about PS5 crushing load times on PS4 games.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Policenaut posted:

Another year, another hope that Keichiro Toyama (SIREN, Gravity Rush) has something new to show us.

https://twitter.com/PlayStation_jp/status/1157305070523842560?s=19

drat, got my hopes up for a second.

While everyone is talking about their backlogs of games they shamefully haven't gotten around to yet, which of these should I play first:

Prey
Nier
RDR2
Shadow of the Colossus (I missed most of the PS2 era so this would be a first time)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Shadow of the Colossus is a masterpiece that can be completed in one weekend!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

While everyone is talking about their backlogs of games they shamefully haven't gotten around to yet, which of these should I play first:

Prey
Nier
RDR2
Shadow of the Colossus (I missed most of the PS2 era so this would be a first time)

Play rdr2 first so you can delete it after a few hours and get on with the good gaming

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I would play Prey, than SotC, then Neir, in that order, for maximum and supreme emotional devastation

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Gripweed posted:

It's also extremely weird that the first two hours of The Lone Ranger are basically a remake of Dead Man. Dead Man is a western from the 90s about an effete white city slicker who goes out West and gets shot, left for dead, and blamed for a crime he didn't commit. But an eccentric Native American finds him, declares that his brush with death has given him essentially magic powers, and nurses him back to health. The white man toughens up and learns to fight and becomes a cool western tough guy.

It's literally the exact same plot. The primary differences being that Dead Man was lauded for it's portrayal of Native Americans, using all native actors for native roles and having long dialogue sections in native languages.

And before you say it's just a coincidence, the white guy in Dead Man was played by Johnny Depp.

First of all what the gently caress
Second of all what the gently caress

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BBQ Dave posted:

I beat it last night too :hfive:! Best expansion I've played in a long time, Toussaint has big shoes to fill. Honestly Olgierc was such a destructive jerk to everyone around him (strangers and family), I didn't care if he got his soul back but I saved him so I could take down the SPACE GENIE. You don't kill a guy with a spoon just for talking loud in a bar. I vanquished the space genie for spoon man, rest his soul. If you haven't played the game and that last three sentences don't make you want to play the game, YOU have a Heart of Stone!

Dead Man's Party was amazing, not to mention the title is an Oingo Boingo Reference, so awesome. The Auction house felt like a call back to FF6! Shani was interesting and had her own thing going on career wise, personality, insecurities about her future, not just a brainless female character to follow you around. If you go back to the brother's grave after Dead Man's Party you can find flowers by his grave, Geralt speculates Shani left them and is missing Olgeric's little bro and his hands on hips swagger. The flowers appear even if you manage to talk her into (uncomfortable looking) rowboat sex.

That Shani scene has to be the most realistic sex in gaming. Two hammered people fumbling at one another before one pukes. Love it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not if you paid attention and brought Shani the flowers she likes!!!!!!

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

just blindly picked up ni no kuni 2 on a psn sale and enjoying the hell out of it. the combat reminds me alot of the tales series and is really scratching that arpg itch ive had for a while. i like that you can control whatever character you want right off the bat and you can play as the president with a gun.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finished plague tale. A very charming but flawed game. Overall I am glad I played it but it wasn’t another low key surprise masterpiece like Hellblade.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Prey
Nier
RDR2

Definitely Prey first. It's very replayable so play it first and you might feel like playing it again after beating one or two of the others.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That's about where I fell on A Plague Tale. I think it's an imperfect game but it's got heart and delivers on a unique vision. It's cool that projects like these still get made and I hope Asobo uses the critical success they've received to become another solid middle ground developer.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Finished plague tale. A very charming but flawed game. Overall I am glad I played it but it wasn’t another low key surprise masterpiece like Hellblade.

I thought it blew hellblade: the binaural whisper quest away in all categories except being boring.

More seriously i thought it was a fun uncharted rip off that maybe could have been 3-4 hours shorter to keep the pacing up.

A true master lesson imo in taking one gameplay mechanic and exploring it so fully that it comes full circle by the end boss that was just really neat.

A bit too gamey and janky in many parts. Gotta stick to the script or the illusion breaks, but solid effort!

Edit: actually i meant to say last of us rip off

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 3, 2019

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Helblade did outclass most other games ever in presentation and polish tho, mehburger tho i found it to be personally.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
What's the general impression on Valkyria Chronicles 4? The original was one of my absolute favorite games on PS3, from the style, characters, combat and general story beats; how does it compare to it?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ham posted:

What's the general impression on Valkyria Chronicles 4? The original was one of my absolute favorite games on PS3, from the style, characters, combat and general story beats; how does it compare to it?

It is as good or better, if you loved VC1 you need to jump on 4 ASAP

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its more vc1 like it feels like an expansion campaign. I petered out after a dozen hours i should go back

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Ham posted:

It's very similar to VC1, so if you loved that one you'll probably love VC4. I never played the second or third installment, but from what I understand VC4 is considered a return to form after two mediocre sequels.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Real hurthling! posted:

Play rdr2 first so you can delete it after a few hours and get on with the good gaming

Hah, I've heard so much mixed stuff on this game, I loved the first one and I'm hurting enough for good Western action that I'll probably put up with more than I should, but I guess I'll wait for it to get a little cheaper before I pull the trigger on it.

Thanks for the recommendations guys! Sounds like Prey > Shadow > Nier is gonna be a good, soul-crushing time.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

OK, I take back what I said about Okami being good. QTE drawing sequences? When you're drawing with the drat thumbstick, and oh yeah the symbol you're drawing is flower if you're drawing it over a tree but means sun if you draw it over the sky so of course you're drawing it over a tree in the sky so if it's slightly off you get a sun instead and have to go all the way back to the start, and if you take your time to draw it just right well gently caress you there's a time limit so you go back to the start, and have to sit through the same interminably slow unskippable text that this fuckin game has, it took me ten goddamn tires to get through that tree blooming dance section.

Garbage game.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Gripweed posted:

OK, I take back what I said about Okami being good. QTE drawing sequences? When you're drawing with the drat thumbstick, and oh yeah the symbol you're drawing is flower if you're drawing it over a tree but means sun if you draw it over the sky so of course you're drawing it over a tree in the sky so if it's slightly off you get a sun instead and have to go all the way back to the start, and if you take your time to draw it just right well gently caress you there's a time limit so you go back to the start, and have to sit through the same interminably slow unskippable text that this fuckin game has, it took me ten goddamn tires to get through that tree blooming dance section.

Garbage game.

:allears:

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

I also finished this just now. Loved the setting and atmosphere, but the gameplay felt repetitive and simplistic, with most levels being essentially a series of self-contained puzzles with exactly one correct solution. There are a couple of areas later in the game where you're given a bit more freedom, the game could've definitely used more of those. It also could've been a couple of hours shorter, even with the new abilities you gain over time it started to feel repetitive by the halfway mark.

Overall a pretty good indie game, definitely worth playing through once, but the 35 bucks I paid for it felt like a bit much.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Please ignore the same few people that are talking poo poo on Red Dead 2, it’s a fantastic game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

100 million ds4s spamming x to trot on a human face for eternity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Arthur Morgan being a terrible singer is a charming detail

Also I love how free flowing this party feels. Just soaking in good feelings.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 3, 2019