Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
More like blasted right into the face! And well, it's text that he's on a constant feed of aerosolised drugs to function, so.

They don't really play up Bane as a drug addict too much except maybe in the original (where I think Azrael was also using Venom for a while) and some later bits like Batman Beyond, but it's an interesting angle for a character who's a counterpart to Batman's near-superhuman insane physical training. (It's implied that BvS Batman is using steroids mind)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Darko posted:

And arent afraid of doing stuff like awkwardly bringing Ra's back *in* one of the two Lazarus pits in the movie (the other being the sewers). Just fully embracing the comic absurdity instead of constantly pointing out that you're in on the joke goes so much farther with me.
Yeah, it's the thought that I really appreciate. You can tell the Nolans really mulled over immortality and rebirth actually mean. It's similar to how they adapt Robin. They don't adapt a specific Robin, but instead adapt the idea of a Batman who is a better man than Batman because of Batman.

It's another reason why I get sad when people dismiss his films. Because I think this exercise of adapting a character by considering who they essentially are when you take everything superficial away from them is really smart.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Dark Knight Rises is my least favorite of the three but I can’t deny that “...THEN, YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO DIE” is fuckin ownage

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Mine is "Crashing this plane...WITH NO SURVIVORS!"

So campy

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

McCloud posted:

Mine is "Crashing this plane...WITH NO SURVIVORS!"

So campy

I’d love to see more of these critical / cool moments miss the timing. I hate how it perfectly syncs with the attack. Have Bane go “.... any second now” or just have the attack cut his cool moment.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’d love to see more of these critical / cool moments miss the timing. I hate how it perfectly syncs with the attack. Have Bane go “.... any second now” or just have the attack cut his cool moment.

They already did that in the last movie, famously, so why replay the greatest hits

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mastershakeman posted:

They already did that in the last movie, famously, so why replay the greatest hits

Funny thing is apparently that wasn't planned, the explosives did go off late.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'd forgotten that comic movies used real explosion instead of cgi

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I can never get thru TDKR for more than 20 mins, so many extraneous characters, so little pull from the plot making you want to watch the whole thing

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The Rises batsuit was hard to breathe in (like all the various movie batsuits) and I love the part where Catwoman is trying to talk him out of sacrificing himself and is like YOU DON'T OWE THESE PEOPLE ANY MORE and it show a close up of Bale's face. And like, his mask is off center and he's trying to look stoic while clearly fuckin' dying from the heat/lack of air (they filmed in the summer) and it holds the shot for an extra few seconds so that in that moment the entire movie breaks and you just see an extremely uncomfortable Christian Bale ibstead of a battleworn Batman.

I'm still angry special features for Rises don't include the take during the big brawl towards the end where Bale and Hardy were so tired they just both lost it at the same time and like fell into each other's arms crying and embracing each other telling each other how tired they were over and over again for like five minutes straight. I think Bale was the one who told this anecdote. Should have just used that in the actual movie.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Neo Rasa posted:

The Rises batsuit was hard to breathe in (like all the various movie batsuits) and I love the part where Catwoman is trying to talk him out of sacrificing himself and is like YOU DON'T OWE THESE PEOPLE ANY MORE and it show a close up of Bale's face. And like, his mask is off center and he's trying to look stoic while clearly fuckin' dying from the heat/lack of air (they filmed in the summer) and it holds the shot for an extra few seconds so that in that moment the entire movie breaks and you just see an extremely uncomfortable Christian Bale ibstead of a battleworn Batman.

My friend has always described that moment as looking like Batman just finished a hot dog eating competition and it’s apt

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Bale Batman just looking like he hasn't got a clue and the Batsuit is killing him is completely on-theme for TDKR.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
All I can ever see is the poor guy breathing out of his mouth. Batfleck doesn't have this problem, he is always on point, comfortable as a total rear end in a top hat.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I think all that to make Batman look ridiculous is completely intentional

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

All I can ever see is the poor guy breathing out of his mouth. Batfleck doesn't have this problem, he is always on point, comfortable as a total rear end in a top hat.

Unlike every other guy who’s played Batman, he had already worn an extremely uncomfortable gimp suit for a superhero movie before, he knew the tricks

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I feel like there's always some trade offs. The BvS Batman costume looks a lot more flexible and it's definitely the most mobile live-action Batman has ever seen. There are a lot of great shots of it, but there are a lot of weird shots where Batman looks overly squat and has no neck. The Dark Knight costume works more consistently to give Batman a great silhouette, but it never worked super well for close-up non-action scenes.

Like in my mind's eye, the Keaton costume has the best silhouette, but a quick google search gives a bunch of images of it looking so off and the ears looking like bunny ears.

It's kind of funny that it's probably one of the most adapted superhero costumes, but might be one of the hardest to adapt.

EDIT: it's kind of weird to live in a world where Captain America and DC Captain Marvel have had inarguably better on screen costumes than Batman. Even if Cap's worst costume is the actual worst on-screen superhero costume.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 3, 2019

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Double post, sorry

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I think "squat, neckless" Batman might have been the point, as Snyder shoots him he's supposed to be like a gargoyle come to life to jam hot pokers into sex traffickers. Just this looming beast that, if one were to see them in the dark, would not be sure was human or not.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah the Miller-esque no-neck Fatman translated very well to film.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Was it the Begins suit or the 89 Keatonsuit that had no mobility for the neck?

I know TDK suit was redesigned for better visibility, but I think the original was a pain too.

I really do like the BvS suit and think it got the right "fridge" look for an older Batman that doesn't need to Ninja as much.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It was every costume after Adam West until The Dark Knight.

The Cameo posted:

I think "squat, neckless" Batman might have been the point, as Snyder shoots him he's supposed to be like a gargoyle come to life to jam hot pokers into sex traffickers. Just this looming beast that, if one were to see them in the dark, would not be sure was human or not.
No, I get the intention. And sometimes he looks like a terrifying muscle monster, but sometimes it just doesn't work for me and the squatness is more odd than intimidating. it's just like, yes, there are times where Nolan was playing up how awkward and odd it is for Bruce to be in the suit and it works. But sometimes it just looks funny.

The armor suit is probably the most consistently good Batman costume though.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Everything up to TDK had the cowl as one solid piece that went at least down through the shoulders (and thus got connected to the cape), I think TDK made it so the cowl and actual bodysuit were in a couple of different pieces so Bale could pull it off in that one scene and not look a tenth as goofy as Keaton does in Returns when he has to RIP THE THE loving THING and has a huge chunk of rubber sticking up, TDKR they just made it like a motorcycle helmet.

BvS I think was the first time someone went “why don’t we just make the suit out of material you can move and turn your head and torso in?”

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Another '66 connection (or at least I hope it is, would let me forgive the scene a little more) -
Bane winning over public opinion by reading a letter on live TV as if anyone cares who he is or his level of authority. In the theater, that moment felt blindingly stupid, but through the magic of "it's an homage to campy Bat-villains swaying public opinion via TV," I can at least hand-wave it.
Is Dark Knight Rises just a warm-up version of Lego Batman?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Bale's Batman voice getting progressively worse and sillier was always amazing to me. Especially in the scenes where he was only talking to people who knew he was Bruce Wayne. If there were a 4th Nolan film he would straight up sound like Donald Duck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2yv8aT0UFc

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

It's just becoming a contest of who can have the most galaxy brain take to hand wave away Nolan's dumber decisions.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Space Fish posted:

Another '66 connection (or at least I hope it is, would let me forgive the scene a little more) -
Bane winning over public opinion by reading a letter on live TV as if anyone cares who he is or his level of authority. In the theater, that moment felt blindingly stupid, but through the magic of "it's an homage to campy Bat-villains swaying public opinion via TV," I can at least hand-wave it.

Begins has stuff like a newspaper being thrown into view with some spin on it, Nolan definitely had 66 in mind in different ways through all three movies.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

It's just becoming a contest of who can have the most galaxy brain take to hand wave away Nolan's dumber decisions.

This but Snyder.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Space Fish posted:

Joker throwing his goons into the fight during the Dent fundraiser was straight out of Batman '66.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I like the suit for Batfleck. He's a squat lil muscle weirdo and it works great for his character in BvS.

I think that of the three Nolan movies I only really like the batsuit in Rises because the awkwardness of movement helps sell Bale's Batman as past his prime and tired. It doesn't work as well in the other two when he's supposed to be on top of his game.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Sometimes it's nice to talk about films, rather than just beat them.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Batfleck looked goofy as gently caress.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Gatts posted:

I think all that to make Batman look ridiculous is completely intentional

The '89 costume looks phenomenal except for when he has to turn his neck or you can see how short Keaton was.

I'm a huge fan of Batman costumes where the cape drapes over the shoulders. I think it's basically only the Burton flicks and BTAS that does that outside of comics, though.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Batfleck looked goofy as gently caress.

I’m surprised you feel that way. The only time I thought it looked goofy was the Batmobile scene where he side swipes Superman. For some reason they crushed the blacks so it’s like a super dark scene with Batman’s bright white eyes. I always thought it looked really weird. They probably wanted to highlight his eyes to showcase his expression, but a little more lighting in the cockpit would have been nice.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I loved how Afleck looked with the cowl off and the rest of the costume still on. I think it us just in one scene in his cave, but he looks like one if those badass knights from Excalibur.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Batfleck with the cowl on looks like a poorly painted little Warhammer 40k figure. It's adorable.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

josh04 posted:

but i can't be smug doing that :(

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

josh04 posted:

:Goon sits down to watch film:
"I bet they told you that you mean something, that you're here for a reason. My forums taught me a different lesson... They taught me film only makes sense if you force it to."

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

FilthyImp posted:

:Goon sits down to watch film:
"I bet they told you that you mean something, that you're here for a reason. My forums taught me a different lesson... They taught me film only makes sense if you force it to."

"Oh hey, some executive at Disney is also called Martha!"

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Steve2911 posted:

This but Snyder.

Wow you guys are really smart. Tell me some smart things I can repeat please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I'll take Batfleck's squat gargoyle look over the Batman Begins suit's weird bobble-head design.

Fuckin' cowl looks like it was cast off of Cory Taylor's neck.