Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Captain Invictus posted:

Rami Ismail is a great game dev and smart dude but also really loving sucks when it comes to not calling out lovely dev behavior like that and gets really twitter-aggressive about it

Jason schrier being that way really is a bummer too. I honestly expect better of him.

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Bakeneko posted:

According to that, it’s only the alpha that’s an EGS exclusive. It sounds like they’re doing everyone else a favor by letting those guys pay for the privilege of bug-testing their half-finished game before its actual launch.

Why would anyone pay to play an alpha, anyway? I know it’s already a thing on Steam, but I can’t imagine being that impatient myself.

This was may take on it, and I think it's genius.

"Here's a bag of cash to make it one year exclusive"
"gently caress yeah, we can get it online tomorrow!"
"Is... is it done already?"
"lolno"

Yong's posted a long one about the Ooblet deal, with some extra details like a ton of the discord posts. Most interestingly, however, is the Reddit activity. Specifically the deleting of any negative threads... just like what PGI did with r/transverse that got the entire company banned. :geno:

Also the Epic head endorsed the announcement, but he also endorses wage theft and marketing gambling to children so no surprise there

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Bakeneko posted:

Why would anyone pay to play an alpha, anyway? I know it’s already a thing on Steam, but I can’t imagine being that impatient myself.

Don't Starve was in early access for years before it was officially released but was very playable during this period.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Alaois posted:

jesus christ you two

it was a bad joke post

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

it was a bad joke post

it's still referencing part of a post on the same page that foldable highlighted specifically

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

It might be a slugfest between two megacorps, but as always the people who suffer are the consumers who get no say. And now Schreier is calling consumers entitled shits because we'd like to have more control over our purchases in an increasingly anti consumer industry.

Captain Invictus posted:

Rami Ismail is a great game dev and smart dude but also really loving sucks when it comes to not calling out lovely dev behavior like that and gets really twitter-aggressive about it

Jason schrier being that way really is a bummer too. I honestly expect better of him.

yeah, like i do get why jason and others defend them, lots of indie devs get hosed over on steam and other places and if epic comes along and buys their exclusivity and they have the posibility of breaking even and even making a profit, i can understand why Jason and rami would go to bat for them at least somewhat. the issue is epic sucks for a ton of reasons and is anti openly consumer. but alot of these guys don't give a gently caress about them because they are "part of the problem" which while somewhat understandable because of the various horror shows like GG. i still find kinda gross. like Jason is willing to crap on them from generic left wing positions, but thats it which sucks because if anyone could expose their various flaws, it would be him.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Alaois posted:

it's still referencing part of a post on the same page that foldable highlighted specifically

i don't blame dan for feeling way he does. what i said was my opinion, though i said it in a stupidly dickish way. but i find it kinda true. like you need consumers to buy your stuff at the end of the day and if you act like a snarky dick or do stupid poo poo, that might affect sales.

that being ooblets does seem cute and i might pick it up on xbox at some point . i do think they could have been less snarky and such about going epic store, but they have people to cater to who like that sorta thing.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 3, 2019

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/Reignited_Spyro/status/1157707307234410498?s=19
uh is this real

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

probably or at the very least it wouldn't surprise me. some indie devs seem to be so far up their own asses, they don't care what stupidly horrible poo poo they will say because they always know some people will defend thems for various reasons and they can always say "well any consumer who complains is a reactionary so gently caress em" and various people will just clap and cheer. i think coming down genuine consumer criticism in dickish ways or trying to whataboutism it away (like no poo poo their are actual real issues in the world, i could lose healthcare at any day but people can still be upset by dumb buisness practices), just opens the door for more right wing assholes to take those genuine peoples places places. the loving chuds are gonna be pricks and assholes anyway. its in their nature.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 3, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's extremely fake.

This exchange, on the other hand, is very real:

Endorph posted:

love this supportive and transformitive community

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

No here is his actual message they edited

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hub Cat posted:

No here is his actual message they edited

well, i take back much of what i said. at least he is trying to do proper outreach.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

good, thanks

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

good, thanks

same. i am legit happy they just kinda smug but somewhat responsive rather then, well whatever that was. Glad dipshits faking discord screenshots are doing nothing but giving the devs a way to pretend anything bad they said was actually faked. gently caress gamers and gently caress these devs too!!!!

i think this goons sums up my overall opinon of them.

treat posted:

People aren't supporting a single project though, they're donating to a studio with zero incentive for return on investment. People are paying to keep the business and lifestyle of these dickheads afloat, and the second they're no longer forced to rely on this support they go full Randian objectivist and berate their community for "having the gall to think you might be entitled to a copy of my game just because you payed to have it made. You see, had we gone with kickstarter we might remain beholden to you, our fans, but we took 'donations' from you instead so we owe you nothing and moreover we don't even need your filthy peasant money anymore."

Hemingway To Go! posted:

They were just a dumb neoliberal indie dev of a couple people. There's a contingent that really likes games like that - see Animal Crossing and Stardew, I actually had heard of Ooblets as well and had an eye out on it before all this - so I guess that's partially why this blew up.

Partially that and that this functions unfortunately as a huge gotcha, they are an exceptional case in how indie teams handle exclusivity deals but unfortunately tying leftist language into neoliberal "We are ABOVE YOU, lowly PEASANTS" and strawmaning arguments is unfortunately going to be an effective recruitment tool for right wing gamers who want to show leftists in a bad light, that no matter how reasonable your concerns are you're a toxic gamer anyway, they'll never listen, and you might as well listen to their youtubes, understand their world view from them, eventually taking voting cues from them. There are multiple subreddits that claim to be leftist but always side with large corps and strawman away all concerns about them... I don't think they're really helping either.

And now that large corperate CEO Tim Sweeney supports their statements, it's not just an exceptional case from a dumb little indie team. This will never go away.

It's also making fun of autism. Meme is "autistic screaming". But ableism is fine among a certain contingent of neoliberal anyway, since they are only sympathetic to people who were born well off in the upper classes and had no childhood trauma or anything that prevents them from just knowing how to perform social interaction.

treat posted:

Holy poo poo. Picture a balding, middle-aged otaku being handed a fat check before violently shoving everyone nearby to the ground and taking off full sprint into traffic toward the bank.

seems the devs like digging holes too.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 3, 2019

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
He's right, gamers do suck rear end.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Gamers are terrible but all they are doing is giving them ammo. The devs need to logoff for the weekend and come back hat in hand on Monday even if they don't really mean it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hub Cat posted:

Gamers are terrible but all they are doing is giving them ammo. The devs need to logoff for the weekend and come back hat in hand on Monday even if they don't really mean it.

this. like they arnt fully wrong but they are just curbing the hornets nest and hoping it makes them more dosh. going solely epic probably somewhat hurt their sales, this stuff probably has too though not as much as the epic stuff. i like animal crossing and was open to picking this game up at some point, maybe on console, but not so much now.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
The worst thing he did was decide to approach it with a goofy / psuedo-hostile attitude to try and ward off the criticism. And then stick with it when it failed.

That criticism was going to come anyway, regardless of what he did. Best option was to just put it out there, explain the reasons, and then deal with the fall-out.

People are also complaining that "they're censoring their subreddit". Ooblets had 1K subscribers back in July. In the last two days, it jumped another 2K users. A lot of these aren't people who are there because of interest in the game, they're there to start fights and be shitheads.

Any dev is right to pre-emptively worry about blowback from agreeing to exclusive deals that may not be consumer friendly but save their development team and keep their people paid and fed. This is a version of "no ethical consumption under capitalism", you can't be too harsh with someone for making this choice. It sucks, but the dev isn't the root cause.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The devs made anyone who'll come to their defense assholes. There's accepting that there are going to be unfair attacks and there's inviting an ever worse attack comfortable in the knowledge that other people will stand up for you.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MillennialVulcan posted:

The worst thing he did was decide to approach it with a goofy / psuedo-hostile attitude to try and ward off the criticism. And then stick with it when it failed.

That criticism was going to come anyway, regardless of what he did. Best option was to just put it out there, explain the reasons, and then deal with the fall-out.

People are also complaining that "they're censoring their subreddit". Ooblets had 1K subscribers back in July. In the last two days, it jumped another 2K users. A lot of these aren't people who are there because of interest in the game, they're there to start fights and be shitheads.

Any dev is right to pre-emptively worry about blowback from agreeing to exclusive deals that may not be consumer friendly but save their development team and keep their people paid and fed. This is a version of "no ethical consumption under capitalism", you can't be too harsh with someone for making this choice. It sucks, but the dev isn't the root cause.

i undestand why they made the choice and i don't blame them for it, but the smarmy dickhead/psudo left/whataboutist approach to explaining it and than constantly doubling down trump style rubs me and a bunch of people the wrong way. i just want some loving honesty. just be open about it. game development costs a poo poo ton of money and they wanted to make an actual profit and epic helped them with that. cool and i get it. loving outer worlds went epic exclusive and i will still get it(consoles but you know what i mean). but they were honest about it. these guys had to make it a thing to prove how wacky and psudo lefty they were and looked like dicks and than they doubled down and then piss on all consumers because clearly anyone who complains is a chud. gently caress em.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 3, 2019

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The only good thing I can really say about the Epic Games Store is that because they're behind Steam, they go way overboard with giving me free games.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i undestand why they made the choice and i don't blame them for it, but the smarmy dickhead/psudo left/whataboutist approach to explaining it and than constantly doubling down trump style rubs me and a bunch of people the wrong way. i just want some loving honesty. just be open about it. game development costs a poo poo ton of money and they wanted to make an actual profit and epic helped them with that. cool and i get it. loving outer worlds went epic exclusive and i will still get it(consoles but you know what i mean). but they were honest about it. these guys had to make it a thing to prove how wacky and psudo lefty they were and looked like dicks and than they doubled down and then piss on all consumers because clearly anyone who complains is a chud. gently caress em.

Dave Oshry put it best
https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1157073247390748674

If they had just gone, "poo poo guys, they drove a dump truck full of money up to our house. We're not made of stone", we might not have been having this conversation. People would still have been cross about it becoming Epic-exclusive, but you'd have some understanding for the devs, since they wanted to get their game out and made properly.

I don't accept the whole, "Well, lovely gamernerds gonna be lovely gamernerds" excuse. All it does is muddy the waters of any argument, since you can just try and paint anybody who opposes you as being a shitheel. It enforces a notion that people will never let GamerGate or the alt-right truly die, because as long as they exist, they serve as stooges to prop up or invoke when they screw up or want to deflect criticism.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Isn't that what devs and the journalists have been saying in the first place?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Roth posted:

it's hard to tell. There is an agenda here. The devs and journalists that fall in line with Tim Sweeney or the previously unimportant devs are getting signal boosted in a "look at this poo poo" kind of manner - sort of like how the ooblets devs were an unimportant exceptional case to how to take a epic deal before all this - and the ones who devs and journalists not are getting buried. I certainly can't keep track. We're also entering the part of the discourse this where the opposition to is starting to Epic is starting to get lovely enough that agreeing with any notions they have sounds too much like supporting their shittier notions.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Their biggest mistake was framing the entire thing as an argument. They shouted into the abyss of the internet "here's why you're wrong, you buncha dummies, neener neener" and were apparently surprised that the internet might want to argue back.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 3, 2019

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
What's being lost in this conversation, by the way, is how absolutely abysmal Steam is as a platform for indie devs to work with. It's very hard to stand out among the utter crap that's shoveled over there, and they take an obscene percentage of revenue. They have yet to improve even with this competition from Epic.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Roth posted:

depends on the dev and the journlists.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What's being lost in this conversation, by the way, is how absolutely abysmal Steam is as a platform for indie devs to work with. It's very hard to stand out among the utter crap that's shoveled over there, and they take an obscene percentage of revenue. They have yet to improve even with this competition from Epic.

this. i can easily understand why they would run to epic. but steam doesn't care because it wins by attrition sorta.

John Murdoch posted:

Their biggest mistake was framing the entire thing as an argument. They shouted into the abyss of the internet "here's why you're wrong, you buncha dummies, neener neener" and were apparently surprised that the internet might want to argue back.

this. if they had said "we want to make money and epic offered us a ton so we are taking their offer" no one would have really cared. but they tried to make it weirdly political or something and poo poo on the plebs and now they are eating poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Dave Oshry put it best
https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1157073247390748674

If they had just gone, "poo poo guys, they drove a dump truck full of money up to our house. We're not made of stone", we might not have been having this conversation. People would still have been cross about it becoming Epic-exclusive, but you'd have some understanding for the devs, since they wanted to get their game out and made properly.

I don't accept the whole, "Well, lovely gamernerds gonna be lovely gamernerds" excuse. All it does is muddy the waters of any argument, since you can just try and paint anybody who opposes you as being a shitheel. It enforces a notion that people will never let GamerGate or the alt-right truly die, because as long as they exist, they serve as stooges to prop up or invoke when they screw up or want to deflect criticism.

thats kinda also a issue i have. they use the existance of rear end in a top hat chuds as an excuse to poo poo on consumers or not better themselves as company. its weird.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

AFAIK Steam's cut is industry standard and overcrowded marketplaces are nothing new either. Indie devs tried jumping ship to the Switch except oops too many did it and now the eShop suddenly has a discoverability problem too.

This isn't a defense of that industry standard cut, nor do I think Valve and Steam couldn't be better, I just feel like characterizing these problems as unique to them is disingenuous.

Also while it is only a small step, Valve did recently release three new experimental doodads with the pretty clear goal of increasing discoverability.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

John Murdoch posted:

AFAIK Steam's cut is industry standard and overcrowded marketplaces are nothing new either. Indie devs tried jumping ship to the Switch except oops too many did it and now the eShop suddenly has a discoverability problem too.

This isn't a defense of that industry standard cut, nor do I think Valve and Steam couldn't be better, I just feel like characterizing these problems as unique to them is disingenuous.

Also while it is only a small step, Valve did recently release three new experimental doodads with the pretty clear goal of increasing discoverability.

Do these doodads work? Because their "solution" to Greenlight sure didn't!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Define "work"? They get games that might otherwise go unnoticed in front of eyeballs. I'm not sure how many people are actively using them day in, day out though. I also have no illusions that Valve will necessarily keep working on them.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 3, 2019

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I get things through recommendations by devs I follow on Twitter, I've never actually looked for things through Steam; meaning devs could have been going through Itch.io or self-hosting for all I care.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Consider for a moment the types of indie games that are getting bought out by Epic. These are often indie darlings that have had a lot of attention from the indie sphere and were contextually high profile projects. It is true that many indie developers have struggled to find footing on Steam, but these aren't the developers that Epic is going after. Epic isn't offering heaps of cash to middle road devs who aren't shifting shovelware or producing spotlight grabbing hits. Epic is consistently targeting high profile indie games with the exclusivity deals, often only after the heavy lifting has been done by crowdfunding to even get the games noticed. They swoop in after an audience has been cultivated and then start offloading the cash dumps on the developer to go exclusive.

Epic's model certainly helps the developers they decide to pick up, but it's hardly a solution for the mid-tier developers who don't get the runaway success funding stories. Those poor guys get left behind and drowned in the sea of asset flips because they don't have the market value Epic craves.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Plus even though this is similar to other woke washing things, racism and sexism or the term SJW did not enter any actual statements. It was entirely the devs framing this in leftist economic language while engaging in lovely capitalism and calling people toxic gamers for having consumer based concerns. They are justifying a lot of anti-leftist propaganda.
But gaming circle jerk/gamers rise up and a game journalist or two just sided with the devs because "gamers are toxic" even in an incident where the gamers that started all of this were not being toxic but just asking about normal concerns. The right wing recruiters don't need to edit anything to take the high ground, and the only gently caress up was the one guy who edited in anti-semetism and that incident will probably be forgotten. All we have here is a bunch of people who say how leftist they siding with capital and laughing at people who ask questions and making up poo poo about the questions they were asked and a CEO supporting them, no edits needed. Extremely effective propaganda that cannot be dismissed the way a lot of other lovely gamer controversies have.
Something awful forums response has been great, but reddit's a poo poo show and twitter probably is, I refuse to look at it, and those are the bigger platforms. Kind of worried this will not de-escalate.

also this post is sadly true.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Consider for a moment the types of indie games that are getting bought out by Epic. These are often indie darlings that have had a lot of attention from the indie sphere and were contextually high profile projects. It is true that many indie developers have struggled to find footing on Steam, but these aren't the developers that Epic is going after. Epic isn't offering heaps of cash to middle road devs who aren't shifting shovelware or producing spotlight grabbing hits. Epic is consistently targeting high profile indie games with the exclusivity deals, often only after the heavy lifting has been done by crowdfunding to even get the games noticed. They swoop in after an audience has been cultivated and then start offloading the cash dumps on the developer to go exclusive.

Epic's model certainly helps the developers they decide to pick up, but it's hardly a solution for the mid-tier developers who don't get the runaway success funding stories. Those poor guys get left behind and drowned in the sea of asset flips because they don't have the market value Epic craves.

I wonder if Epic has tried to go after Toby Fox

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Which is exactly what Valve did when they tried to establish Steam,.In fact pretty much every bad thing Epic does(there are many legitimate is issues) is something Valve has also done.
Which makes the people using those arguments because they can't buy a game on Steam seem less like they actually care about the issues rather than just stanning for valve. Unfortunately those are the one screaming the hardest so they drown out any real discussion.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Do these doodads work? Because their "solution" to Greenlight sure didn't!

lmao of course they don't. Valve is only interested in crowd/algorithm "solutions" that involve no money or effort from them.

Though to be somewhat fair, online marketplaces have only ever been good at serving what you're specifically looking for. I've never had Steam recommend me a single game that I didn't already know I wanted. That's even before oversaturation. Hell, that's even before Steam supported non-Valve games. Online marketplaces don't support undirected browsing.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Actual thread content: BrutalMoose's Thrifting: Black Spine Edition

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

buddhist nudist posted:

Online marketplaces don't support undirected browsing.

Gaben fondly looks at his latest knife, then laughs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Leal posted:

Gaben fondly looks at his latest knife, then laughs.

"So what's not to like?"