Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Leal posted:

Gaben fondly looks at his latest knife, then laughs.

what makes me sad is how dead valve is as a dev. most of the talent left for greener pastures and after giving a green light to such abortions/scams as hunt down the freeman, you can see how little they care about their IPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what makes me sad is how dead valve is as a dev. most of the talent left for greener pastures and after giving a green light to such abortions/scams as hunt down the freeman, you can see how little they care about their IPs.

IIRC Hunt Down The Freeman exploited a loophole in their engine licensing. The Source Engine license (which cost $100k) included what was basically an unlimited license to use Valve's IP in Source-based games. It was intended as a way for Source Engine devs to use Valve assets like textures and props in their games (since they don't have an equivalent to the Unity or Unreal asset stores and think of how successful Gary's Mod was) and they didn't expect anyone would just up and make a fan sequel to Half-Life without asking them first. They now have much stricter terms with reusing their IP for new licensees.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
On the one hand, they've also supported Black Mesa which is some quality stuff.

But on the other hand, they've also supported a number of middling pseudo-sequels (at least one that's a follow-up to Opposing Force, a few standalone Portal mods of varying quality) that simply weren't the kind of total garbage fires that get noticed.

In general, Valve has always had a really weird relationship with outside creators when you look at everything TF2 did, for instance. I've always had very mixed opinions on their "make content for our games, because we certainly won't, but don't worry we'll pay you" attitude.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What's being lost in this conversation, by the way, is how absolutely abysmal Steam is as a platform for indie devs to work with. It's very hard to stand out among the utter crap that's shoveled over there, and they take an obscene percentage of revenue. They have yet to improve even with this competition from Epic.

There was a reddit post a while back that broke it all down, but Valve eat a lot of costs and offer so many support services for devs, that other game clients including Epic simply do not do.

Devs may be taking it for granted because it’s been there for so long, but Steam is incredible in what it offers, let’s not pretend otherwise.

Not to mention Epic is offering no competition, their client is still as lovely as day one and they’re just buying out the market in attempt to be the only storefront on the market. Do you really think if they reach that goal, they’ll keep the PC ecosystem as free and open as Valve let it be? No chance.

The weird part in all of this though is why Valve keeps letting devs advertise for free on their platform , only to pull out last minute. You’d think they would update their terms of agreement so that dev’s couldn’t pull that on them.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lol poor Valve getting taken advantage of by those cruel indie devs

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Asuron posted:

There was a reddit post a while back that broke it all down, but Valve eat a lot of costs and offer so many support services for devs, that other game clients including Epic simply do not do.

Devs may be taking it for granted because it’s been there for so long, but Steam is incredible in what it offers, let’s not pretend otherwise.

Not to mention Epic is offering no competition, their client is still as lovely as day one and they’re just buying out the market in attempt to be the only storefront on the market. Do you really think if they reach that goal, they’ll keep the PC ecosystem as free and open as Valve let it be? No chance.

The weird part in all of this though is why Valve keeps letting devs advertise for free on their platform , only to pull out last minute. You’d think they would update their terms of agreement so that dev’s couldn’t pull that on them.

:thunk:

Could it be that Reddit is full of idiots and that in fact Valve benefits from letting all and sundry shovel their poo poo onto Steam? No, I'm sure it's the ungrateful indie devs who are the real masterminds of exploiting poor, defenseless Valve.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mr.Radar posted:

IIRC Hunt Down The Freeman exploited a loophole in their engine licensing. The Source Engine license (which cost $100k) included what was basically an unlimited license to use Valve's IP in Source-based games. It was intended as a way for Source Engine devs to use Valve assets like textures and props in their games (since they don't have an equivalent to the Unity or Unreal asset stores and think of how successful Gary's Mod was) and they didn't expect anyone would just up and make a fan sequel to Half-Life without asking them first. They now have much stricter terms with reusing their IP for new licensees.

yeah i am over reacting clearly but its still loving sad. i am glad they are actually looking into who uses it now.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
video games were a mistake. it's nothing but trash

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

endless traaaaaaaash

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

rudecyrus posted:

video games were a mistake. it's nothing but trash

nah. its just 99.9999999% trash.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

there has never been a good video game

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

watho posted:

Yoshi's Island tho

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

watho posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=capTpivF8n0

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Crosspost from uspol. There’s finally someone in congress who has noticed the pipeline (and doesn’t support it):

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

No doubt this is because of hbomb’s influence.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Team Fortress 2 was good until they added Demoknight

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Valve has been an institution in decline for years and it's really starting to show. Artifact getting developed and then basically abandoned in less than a month after release (lol) while Dota Underlords is basically getting overdeveloped to death at the moment (huge swingy gamechanging patches almost every 2 weeks) is just indicative of how internally the organization is just broken. There is no organizational vision anymore and the internal culture is just bad. I'd compare them to Google but at least Google still outputs a good thing every now and then.

They're collecting rent on their e-store monopoly just fine but without it they would just topple.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Dapper_Swindler posted:

nah. its just 99.9999999% trash.

Everybody knows that there 15 good games.

Super Mario World
Doom
Myst
Bloodborne
Sid Meier's Civilization
Resident Evil 4
Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist
Google Chrome's No-Internet Dinosaur Jumping Game
The Star Wars Arcade Game
Bert Higgins: The Man from H.E.L.L
Undertale
Crash Team Racing
Fallout: New Vegas
Monty Python's Complete Waste of Time
& Sleeping Dogs

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Crosspost from uspol. There’s finally someone in congress who has noticed the pipeline (and doesn’t support it):

thanks for the repost. but like she said its not just the channers and reddit fuckers and the out and out alt right types.
its also poo poo like this,

https://twitter.com/JohnCornyn/status/1142414736572768256

the regular right dog whistles it too. its nothing new to anyone here. but jesus.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

Deadly Premonition is actually just one game.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Super Mario World
Doom
Team Fortress 2
Bloodborne
Sid Meier's Civilization
Resident Evil 4
Undertale
Crash Team Racing
& Sleeping Dogs

honestly. i like most games and it takes alot for me not to like one. last game i disliked was left alive and that was more of disappointment.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Roth posted:

Team Fortress 2 was good until they added Demoknight

sounds like someone who got bodied by a shield charge one too many times tbh

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:thunk:

Could it be that Reddit is full of idiots and that in fact Valve benefits from letting all and sundry shovel their poo poo onto Steam? No, I'm sure it's the ungrateful indie devs who are the real masterminds of exploiting poor, defenseless Valve.

.... what?

This is just a discussion on services Valve provide which are actually pretty substantial. Don’t make it weird man

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

:hmmyes:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thanks for the repost. but like she said its not just the channers and reddit fuckers and the out and out alt right types.
its also poo poo like this,

https://twitter.com/JohnCornyn/status/1142414736572768256

the regular right dog whistles it too. its nothing new to anyone here. but jesus.

Yeah I’m thinking about that guy who posted the youtube about being deprogrammed by contrapoints videos, where he said it was the algorithm feeding him ben shapiro and praeger u nonstop that got him started.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

:hai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzvXBFwcyek

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

Super Mario World
Doom
Myst
Bloodborne
Sid Meier's Civilization
Resident Evil 4
Undertale
Crash Team Racing
& Sleeping Dogs

WHERES TETRIS

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Asuron posted:

.... what?

This is just a discussion on services Valve provide which are actually pretty substantial. Don’t make it weird man

Such as?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Captain Invictus posted:

sounds like someone who got bodied by a shield charge one too many times tbh

Demoknights are pathetically easy to kill because the people who play them tend to be incredibly dumb

watho
Aug 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-41YUSZ9VAg

i know im directly contradicting my no effort troll post but deadly premonition is the loving best

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

It got bumped off the list by 'Google Chrome No-Internet Dinosaur Jumping Game'

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah I’m thinking about that guy who posted the youtube about being deprogrammed by contrapoints videos, where he said it was the algorithm feeding him ben shapiro and praeger u nonstop that got him started.

well i think alot of it starts out with personal issues and than they full into the algorithm and or from chan communities. maybe it starts with irony than "irony" and than they legit believe it. the /pol/ types are honestly dumber than people act like they are.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well i think alot of it starts out with personal issues and than they full into the algorithm and or from chan communities. maybe it starts with irony than "irony" and than they legit believe it. the /pol/ types are honestly dumber than people act like they are.

100% agree

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

like i have friend who fell into that life and was in some of those really bad discords, he got scared after charlotseville and he started to open his eyes to how hosed up it all was and how lovely and backstabby all the nazis were. he has his life in order now away from that poo poo. it all started with a ton of problems at homes and spending time on various chans. just like I did, hell it was one reasons for our friendship. he and that stupid helped me get through a lovely high school and CC. i just grew out of it outside having a hosed up sense of humor.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

No doubt this is because of hbomb’s influence.

That's future Peer of the Realm Harris Bomberguy.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Noah Gervais is branching out into console games it seems

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

gently caress yeah. can't wait to here is opinion on Days gone.

Edit: interesting. i liked his opinion, i skipped zero dawn part because i havent beaten it yet, but i am sure its a interesting opinion too.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 4, 2019

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

The bandwidth cost for hosting game files, patches, screenshots, promotional videos, &c. The organizational and bandwidth cost of setting up user forums for just about every game that has ever been available on the platform. Steam Workshop. VAC is also a not-insignificant feature available to devs for free.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I remember going to youtube under a long-dormant account that I've never used before on YouTube. A couple recommended videos were blatantly alt-right talking point videos. Zero history and the algorithm had a few lined up for me to try.

And really, it makes sense; if the algorithm sees that market as a rich source of views, related views, binge watching, comment wars and interactions, all of that is gold for advertising revenue, even if it raises a general of shitheads. An angry viewer who can be led to a whole bunch of other videos and comment wars is ideal in terms of "interaction".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Silicon Valley millionaire with a bachelor’s in engineering: “Engagement is the perfect measure of merit, and objective enough for me to continue to believe I am an apolitical philosopher king!”

[Distant gunfire]