Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

A while back the Junk Food Dinner podcast posited that Predator is a slasher. I just watched Predator for the first time in ~7 years, and I'm inclined to agree

It's absolutely a slasher, that's the whole joke: slasher but instead of nubile girls, it's the most masculine men who ever testosteroned. Was that not obvious from Shane Black's rewrites?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Junkfood cinema?

And yeah Predator has always been a slasher.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Shrecknet posted:

The original J Michael Stracynzski script for World War Z

Knowing that this exists and was a possibility just makes the bland gruel we got so much more disappointing.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I was today years old when I learned that I live a mile away from the diner where The Blob was filmed :eyepop:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

What are some good horror movie podcasts? I've been listening to Nightmare on Film street lately and I really enjoy them (both of the host just love horror movies so much!), but unfortunately I've almost made it through their entire backlog and now I'm hungry for more.

The podcasts can neither be positive or negative in nature, I'm just as happy to listen to people complain about movies they hate as I am excited to listen to people praise movies they love.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What are some good horror movie podcasts? I've been listening to Nightmare on Film street lately and I really enjoy them (both of the host just love horror movies so much!), but unfortunately I've almost made it through their entire backlog and now I'm hungry for more.

The podcasts can neither be positive or negative in nature, I'm just as happy to listen to people complain about movies they hate as I am excited to listen to people praise movies they love.

I really enjoy The Evolution of Horror. Each "season" is a different subgenre, and he goes chronologically through some of his favorites/seminal films from the history of the subgenre. I've found some new gems through it, and he has really insightful interviews every episode too!

edit-- People also seem to like In Vorhees We Trust, but I couldn't get into the hosts' style after a couple of episodes so YMMV.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 4, 2019

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I don't generally listen to podcasts but I recently found out one of my favorite comic creators, Evan Dorkin, is doing a horror movie podcast with one of his buddies that's been pretty enjoyable so far.

https://tearthemapartpodcast.home.blog/

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 4, 2019

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Nameless Cults is v. good, and done by noted cineD poster uncle boogeyman

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I noticed that the original 1973 "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark" is available for purchase and rent on YouTube and GooglePlay so I purchased it. Now to see if it's really as scary as I remember it freaking me out watching it on TV when I was a kid, whether it holds up at all.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPXsBNH7g8Q

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 4, 2019

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
drat, Shudder just got A Nightmare on Elm St. parts 1-6. Ain't marathoned those in a while.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

gently caress yes.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I had no idea "giant killer snails" was such a thriving subgenre

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Uzumaki is real

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Just checked out The Nightingale with a Q&A after the showing with Jennifer Kent, Aisling Franciosi and Baykali Ganambarr; it was pretty cool. I brought my Babadook book to get signed (again) and she personalized it for me, so that's cool as all loving hell.

The film though is fantastic, I loved it the whole way though the run time is a little long. It's fuckin' brutal though and starts off pretty quickly and goes straight for a triple gut punch. I wouldn't say it's a horror film per se, but there's some really good horror scenes midway through that got the hair on the back of my neck raising; it'll fit in well with this thread and I think a lot of people in here will like it. The violence is excessive but it's painting a really god drat bleak image of a really loving lovely time in Tasmania's history I personally had no clue about.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Faculty of Horror takes an academic/social studies look at classic horror movies and is one of the best podcasts I've subscribed to. It's co-hosted by Andrea Subisatti who is editor of Rue Morgue magazine where Alexandra West is a bit more of a sociologist/academic type.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mick Garris's podcast is a little more "inside baseball" than straight review, but listening to the absolute masters wax nostalgiac about their movies is pretty great. The Chuck Russell one is just them talking about how they did the Blob effects for an hour.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I remember We Have Such Films To Show You being kind of okay but I also still haven't found a movie podcast that I follow on the reg outside of Nameless Cults.

e: Speaking of which, thanks for recommending that etsy store Boogs, got this a few days ago.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 4, 2019

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
I just posted this in the thread for Midsommar:

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I'd already been imagining "Ari Aster's Friday the 13th" and getting a kick out of the idea... and then by coincidence I rewatched the original Friday the 13th yesterday and discovered that's already pretty much what it is! Honestly the first Friday probably resembles Hereditary and Midsommar more than it does some of its later sequels.

I wish I could find whatever review or article where I'd first read someone describe the "particularly American" horror trope to play like another film being interrupted.

Honestly Friday the 13th is due for a re-evaluation by pop culture at large, methinks. Time has transformed that movie from a "gory shocker" (thanks, TV Guide) to a legitimate slow burn thriller.

If it's been a long time since you've last seen it I recommend giving it a return trip and completely wiping everything you know about the series from your mind before you go in. It's still cheesy in parts and the acting still mostly sucks, but even if it's by accident it's a way more interesting (and scary) movie than it's ever been given credit for. It's also a really sad movie.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OG F13 is also surprisingly progressive, sexually. Especially for something from 19-freakin'-80.

Women initiate sex and are in control of the encounters.

The creeper incel dude is rightly shamed out of the cool kids.

I'm not gonna call it a feminist masterpiece, but it is 100% more progressive than you remember.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Thanks to everyone for the horror podcast recommendations! I'm looking forward to checking those out!

Anyway, here's kind of a weird question: What horror movie has the most inappropriate end credits music?

I watched Willow Creek for the first time last night, and it finishes in a genuinely unsettling way...and then this upbeat punk rock song about Big Foot starts playing. Don't get me wrong, under any other circumstances I would love to hear an upbeat punk rock song about Big Foot, but when I've just finished watching a scene where it's heavily implied that a woman is about to get raped by a sasquatch, it doesn't really fit the mood.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Anyway, here's kind of a weird question: What horror movie has the most inappropriate end credits music?

It might be recency bias, but Crawl. Not that it isn't a good choice, it's just tonally a pretty weird note to end on one shot after a rescue helicopter lowers a rope while the orchestra swells.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Bad Dreams using Sweet Child O' Mine. Not sure if it's particularly inappropriate but it definitely doesn't fit well.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

but when I've just finished watching a scene where it's heavily implied that a woman is about to get raped by a sasquatch, it doesn't really fit the mood.

Lol I forgot about that ending. Big foot movies are always weird as hell.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Shrecknet posted:

It might be recency bias, but Crawl. Not that it isn't a good choice, it's just tonally a pretty weird note to end on one shot after a rescue helicopter lowers a rope while the orchestra swells.
Yeah I felt if it was a comedy it would have fit a lot better. I don’t know if they were inspired by An American Werewolf in London or something but it didn’t work in Crawl.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Hot Take: I thought it was great. Caveat: I was drunk.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Shrecknet posted:

OG F13 is also surprisingly progressive, sexually. Especially for something from 19-freakin'-80.

I'm not gonna call it a feminist masterpiece, but it is 100% more progressive than you remember.

Hell, you could argue having Mrs. Voorhees as the killer is itself pretty feminist for an 80s slasher.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Shrecknet posted:

It got savaged for being misogynistic at the time. At least by Siskel and Ebert.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

It got savaged for being misogynistic at the time. At least by Siskel and Ebert.

Horror films in general for the longest while would get broadbrushed as misogynistic. Just going off the top of my head on horror films from the 80s and earlier that had female killers are:

Berzerk! (1964)
Play Misty for Me (1971)
Sisters (1972)
Zombies of Sugar Hill (1974)
Profundo Russo (1975)
Carrie (1976)
Happy Birthday to Me (1982)
Curtains (1983)
The Initiation (1984)

I know there's more but this is a start.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

M_Sinistrari posted:

Horror films in general for the longest while would get broadbrushed as misogynistic. Just going off the top of my head on horror films from the 80s and earlier that had female killers are:

I ain't sure about the first Friday the 13th in specific and I definitely think painting all of horror with that brush is wrong, but if someone's stance is that slashers are misogynistic, that's not capital T True, but it's certainly lowercase a accurate.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

TOOT BOOT posted:

And they were probably not wrong, honestly. What looks like "confident women in control of their sexuality" in one context can also look just like "slutty babes meant to titilate the male audience" in another.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I ain't sure about the first Friday the 13th in specific and I definitely think painting all of horror with that brush is wrong, but if someone's stance is that slashers are misogynistic, that's not capital T True, but it's certainly lowercase a accurate.

From what I'm remembering of the time, especially with how popular horror was with the home rental market, it was open season for horror to get criticized. The Misogyny label I remember getting a substantial amount of air time whether it was a legit criticism or just sloppy scholarship.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So they remade invasion of the body snatchers only with poo poo weasels and youtube and called it assimilate.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Part 3 is the only one I would call misogynistic. It's at least the most mean spirited.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Did some googling and found a surprisingly recent (from just a year ago) and relevant long-form blog post re: reconsidering Friday the 13th, slashers, and misogyny.

(TLDR: Basically boils down to "male gaze" talk)

quote:

While the accusations of misogyny levelled at the slasher-movie genre are, for the most part, misguided – for the most part: there are certainly exceptions – there is no question that there is a disparity in the way that boys and girls are treated in their respective kill-scenes, which may be summed up thus: boys die in shock moments, girls get stalked.

As with everything else, this is less prominent in Friday The 13th than in many similar films; but it is nevertheless there. The opening double-murder illustrates the point exactly: the boy is attacked quickly and collapses; the POV shot then follows the girl as she backs away in terror, making futile efforts to find either a way out or somewhere to hide; and the camera freezes on her screaming face as she realises that she is going to die…

quote:

The film proper follows the same pattern. We do not see either Ned or Bill die: instead, we are shown Ned’s body after the event, and follow Alice as she discovers Bill’s. Only Jack dies on-camera…and that (yes, okay) is because he’s just had sex.

We do not witness Brenda’s death either, but she is treated as the girl counsellor is, with the camera showing us her fear as she recognises that she in danger. With both Annie and Marcie, however, we watch from start to finish, every disturbing moment, as the killer singles them out, pursues them, terrorises them, and slaughters them. Annie’s death scene occupies a full two minutes of screentime, from the moment in the car when she realises something is wrong, to the moment when she has her throat cut. Marcie’s death is even more drawn out: between her realising that she is not alone in the bath-house to taking an axe between the eyes, almost two-and-a-half minutes pass.

And there is something else we need to note about Marcie: the way she is dressed, in panties and a short t-shirt that doesn’t cover them.

quote:

This is where I have an issue with slasher movies, occasionally to the point of being genuinely offended: their tendency, not just to have girls naked or in skimpy clothing when they die, which bad enough, but to have the camera leer at their bodies while the killer is closing in; sexualising the moment of death, and turning mortal terror into a peep-show.
https://andyoucallyourselfascientist.com/2018/07/08/friday-the-13th-1980/

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Hell, you could argue having Mrs. Voorhees as the killer is itself pretty feminist for an 80s slasher.

“Fifty year old lady goes nuts when her son drowns and starts murdering camp counselors” does not strike me as particularly feminist

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

I like Event Horizon. I also like the song Funky poo poo by Prodigy. I do not like these two things together.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

We have a (sadly) neglected SHORT FILMS thread that this kinda stuff is perfect for.

I already posted it in there, but anyone/everyone should post cool stuff like this more in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

M_Sinistrari posted:

Berzerk! (1964)
Play Misty for Me (1971)
Sisters (1972)
Zombies of Sugar Hill (1974)
Profundo Russo (1975)
Carrie (1976)
Happy Birthday to Me (1982)
Curtains (1983)
The Initiation (1984)

I know there's more but this is a start.

Proto-slasher Alice Sweet Alice from 1976. I think it gets bonus points cuz the killer is revealed to be a woman killing out of radical conservatism/religious delusions, and blaming it on other women.