Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Boinks posted:

I'm not trolling, show was too toned down and they didn't spend enough time developing the boys relationships with each other.

tell us more about comicsgate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

You wouldn't get it Mom he's called SPAWN and he's from HELL.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

I think the best part of the show is watching the fandom bitch about it and getting desperately afraid for the state of mental health treatment in this country.

I mean the number of posts I've seen that start with "I don't understand why Hughie didn't cut off A-Train's head with a bread knife and keep it as a trophy" then segue through "here's exactly what I would say to the person who killed a loved one while they bleed out on my floor, I've got it written down here wait a minute" and into kind of a tacit realization that they view the Punisher as a possible future career path the moment anybody harms anyone they give a poo poo about is getting kind of terrifying.

kazmeyer fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 3, 2019

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Admittedly, wasnt too impressed with this show at first. And then a dolphin was ejected from a van, and it culminated with one of the best cliffhanger ending setups I've seen in a long time.

This show is good as hell.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It really helps that things move along at a good pace.

Also loving poo poo man the design and sound on those gills is loving body horror gross.

Fwipwipwip

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Boinks posted:

Neither of those things are extreme, try again.

What the gently caress is this supposed to mean?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I like Karl Urban well enough but I hope he works on that accent between seasons.

It's so crazy to me that Homlander is Hood and I didnt even notice, that dude killed it.

And lmao, Trump literally won the majority of white women votes ffs, a female nazi is just fine. There's no loving gender requirement for being an ignorant racist piece of poo poo.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Aug 3, 2019

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Archyduchess posted:

It's not edgelord grade.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Archyduchess posted:

"I can't jerk off to it" is usually an underlying theme

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Owlbear Camus posted:

You wouldn't get it Mom he's called SPAWN and he's from HELL.

We can all have some fun but the next person to talk poo poo about my crispy Husbando is gonna taste some loving curb

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

-Blackadder- posted:

I like Karl Urban well enough but I hope he works on that accent between seasons.

It's so crazy to me that Homlander is Hood and I didnt even notice, that dude killed it.

And lmao, Trump literally won the majority of white women votes ffs, a female nazi is just fine. There's no loving gender requirement for being an ignorant racist piece of poo poo.

Not to mention the whole thing with that one female concentration camp guard that conservatives were hyping a couple months back. Modern fash absolutely are willing to use women as icons as long as its convenient. And as mentioned upthread, that could make for an interesting situation when she does end up running into the deeply misogynistic parts of the ideology.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

-Blackadder- posted:

the first episode i thought he was actually an american doing a bad kiwi accent lol

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I felt that Haley joel osment really turned it on for his emotional scenes, dudes got some chops

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I felt that Haley joel osment really turned it on for his emotional scenes, dudes got some chops

I really think his weight killed his career. If you're big in showbiz, you're the jolly fat friend if anything.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
He was pretty good in Futureman too

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
He maintains his weird kid face too which doesn't help.

I mean, he seems to be a nice guy and has a good demeanor with respect to his career. Would be nice to see him get more work

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dude's shown his chops a few times, he just got the Furlong curse.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

GD_American posted:

I really think his weight killed his career. If you're big in showbiz, you're the jolly fat friend if anything.

That's like exactly the character he plays in... pretty much nearly every movie now? Seems like he's always the platonic friend of a female who may or may not be gay depending on the needs of the narrative.

I like seeing him around because he's a former child star who seems to have kept his poo poo together, but I gotta be honest that I find his appearance really distracting because it's so obviously Haley Joel Osment. I mean, as a grown man he still has a baby-face despite the weight and the beard, and it's like the face of Osment when he did Sixth Sense but stuck onto the head an overweight 30-something guy. He's just too immediately conspicuous and recognizable, maybe?

On the subject of this show, I'm partway through the finale and... I gotta say I have never seen anything like this. It feels like uh... what the Watchmen film by Zack Snyder was trying to do and ultimately failed at.

Also, I just saw the uh, "sex scene" with Homelander and Liz Shue (another perhaps overly recognizable face? it works in this instance) which has to be one of the creepiest/funniest/strangest things I've ever seen. The only real precedent/analogue to the relationship between Homelander and Stillwell would be... Season 2 of American Horror Story - Asylum, with Sarah Paulson and Zachary Quinto. It's all SO deeply disturbing.. Was that relationship and lactation stuff in the comic? Because Stillwell was male in the comics, I think I read? Anyway, it's... interesting.

I gotta agree that Antony Starr is the big standout and absolutely owns all of his scenes, and the way that he played the character in terms of every bit of body language was SO loving FRIGHTENING! And the way other people acted around him really sold it, it's like anyone who knows him except Stillwell is absolutely terrified shitless, like they're in a room with a schizophrenic tiger who could maul them at any moment. It's very effective, how they played his scenes out.

That all being said, Karl Urban deserves a ton of credit for basically carrying the plot and nearly every bit of narrative/exposition on his back. And he made it all seem really fun with his accent and mode of speech which I gotta say does resemble what Londoners of that age might've talked liked as teenagers in the 90s - I mean, in a cartoonishly overstated way, which is appropriate for comic book adaptations... Again, I don't know how much of his accent was in the comic, but Butcher talks a HELL of a lot in every episode and a ton of it would just be fairly dull exposition with most actors, but he's got enough charisma and energy to make it all work. If they'd cast the wrong actor in that Butcher role, it easily could have made the entire series an absolute poo poo-show. So honestly, I'm pretty drat impressed at what Karl Urban manages to do here.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 3, 2019

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Yeah, I just saw the ending, and I'm kinda speechless.

People are really calling this a cliffhanger? For real? That is NOT a cliffhanger; certainly not by any definition that *I* am familiar with. It did a pretty drat good job of wrapping a lot of things up. And the final scene ANSWERED questions! I mean, it raised new ones too, of course, but that's the entire point of serialized fiction! Now, a real cliffhanger would have been if we didn't even have the scene with A-Train getting a heart attack after their confrontation and Hughie trying to save him, followed by their escape. That wrapped up Hughie's entire emotional arc for the season really nicely, that whole scene. And if it were a real cliffhanger, we would not have found out about Becca and Homelander's kid for sure, they would have left it like... ambiguous about whose kid it was, for instance, and they were very very very clear it was Homelander's. That piece of information is *needed* to explain the behavior of Rawls and Jennifer in prior scenes of the show.

Anyway, I felt like it did a good job of wrapping up the arc from this season, while simultaneously setting up a whole new slate of interesting developments. A real cliffhanger, in my opinion, would be the final scene of Season 2 of Westworld. Now that, that is a cliffhanger. You don't know WHAT the gently caress it portends or means you just have the magnitude and scope of the scene's implications on everything. Another great "proper" cliffhanger is the end of Season 1 of Lost, with the view from inside the open hatch ending the season. That is like the modern standard for cliffhangers. I mean, it's a perfect example. With The Boys, they SHOWED US what was inside their mystery box - Becca and her son, alive - and ended it there. That's like, the opposite of a cliffhanger! It would be like Lost ending season 1 with the scene that opened Season 2, instead.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 3, 2019

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Rhyno posted:

Dude's shown his chops a few times, he just got the Furlong curse.

Speaking of, if anyone didn't know already, Edward Furlong is back as John Connor in Terminator: The New One That Maybe Won't Suck Because Linda Hamilton Is Back And Looking Badass As Hell

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

kaworu posted:

That's like exactly the character he plays in... pretty much nearly every movie now? Seems like he's always the platonic friend of a female who may or may not be gay depending on the needs of the narrative.

Further reinforcing the point- Tyler Labine went thin because he had hit a plateau.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

DrNutt posted:

Speaking of, if anyone didn't know already, Edward Furlong is back as John Connor in Terminator: The New One That Maybe Won't Suck Because Linda Hamilton Is Back And Looking Badass As Hell

With no hyperbole I can say the Dark Past trailer is the best looking Terminator trailer in like 30 years and Arnold went nuts on some MRA tools on reddit during an AMA. They were like how do feel about Terminator becoming feminist propaganda and he was like “you obviously haven’t seen these movies if you don’t think Linda Hamilton is the biggest bad rear end ever and obviously the main hero of the franchise, please stop watching them.”

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DrNutt posted:

I really hope they've been hiding Furlong away in a gym for the past 2 years and he pops up in the movie looking like a brick poo poo house pulling a shotgun out of a box of roses

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Azhais posted:

He was pretty good in Futureman too

Yeah I think he's pretty much stuck being typecast as weirdos or villain characters.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Bust Rodd posted:

With no hyperbole I can say the Dark Past trailer is the best looking Terminator trailer in like 30 years and Arnold went nuts on some MRA tools on reddit during an AMA. They were like how do feel about Terminator becoming feminist propaganda and he was like “you obviously haven’t seen these movies if you don’t think Linda Hamilton is the biggest bad rear end ever and obviously the main hero of the franchise, please stop watching them.”

This loving owns, thanks for sharing because I doubt I ever would have otherwise heard about reddit poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's gonna be the opposite, John Conner's going to be a basement dwelling WoW addict and that's what stopped Judgment Day.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rhyno posted:

It's gonna be the opposite, John Conner's going to be a basement dwelling WoW addict and that's what stopped Judgment Day.

i know:(

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Spice girls pep talk, dolphins ejected from vans, and baby laser eyes were top moments on this one. Fantastic show.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Deep's downward spiral, the black humor in the failed dolphin rescue and also getting exiled to the midwest was my favorite part of the show.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

kaworu posted:

It's all SO deeply disturbing.. Was that relationship and lactation stuff in the comic?
No, it really can't be repeated enough that Homelander in the comics is really, really straight-laced.
The dark humor is in him becoming a terrible, morally bankrupt murderer and, i think, engineering a coup over the mysterious photos he keeps being sent implicating him in all these atrocities he has no recollection of.

etalian posted:

getting exiled to the midwest
All i thought was 'poo poo, dude's landlocked right'

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Haley Joel Osmont is really funny in the otherwise sort of forgettable The Spoils of Babylon.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Archyduchess posted:

Haley Joel Osmont is really funny in the otherwise sort of forgettable The Spoils of Babylon.

Did his character die? his face got hosed up pretty bad

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

Did his character die? his face got hosed up pretty bad

He dead

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

the dark fate trailer was laughably bad but that owns.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

the dark fate trailer was laughably bad but that owns.

Arnold dunking on people always owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DklAU4GNpxA

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

etalian posted:

Arnold dunking on people always owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DklAU4GNpxA

lmao i smoke eh staw-geeh anywheah i wahnt

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I thought this was one of the best things I've seen yet streaming, possibly the best in terms of a streaming service series. I can only hope that they maintain the quality. The cast is top notch but especially the guy playing Homelander, and Karl Urban.

I know they're not exactly bound to the comics, but does the story line come to some kind of conclusion there?

I did consider The Captain's ability to be a bit... problematic. Hopefully spawning supervillains will lead to the destruction of Homelander and The Seven by those supervillains.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FilthyImp posted:

No, it really can't be repeated enough that Homelander in the comics is really, really straight-laced.

Homelander in the comics is the one who first demands a blowjob from Starlight and he gets Captain America to suck his dick every year on the back of an eternal promise of a future spot on the Seven. He's not strait-laced at all; he's as much a hedonist as any of them.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

everyone keeps praising Transmetropolitan

how edgelordy is it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Transmetroplitan was pretty edgy 20 years ago but now it’s themes of political corruption and police brutality and xenophobia are so commonplace that it feels almost like historical fiction.

The true “attitude of the book” is simply “would Hunter S. Thompson, armed with 2 filthy assistants and laser gun that makes you poo poo your pants, entertain you as he exposes all of societies ills to a deaf and uncaring population?”

It’s good OP