Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
The Sceptre Master Quartz works equally well on Machias and Fie. Fie gets additional mileage out of it because her normal attack hits twice, so if the sepith-drop effect triggers, it gets triggered twice. Machias gets additional mileage because his attack can hit multiple enemies at once, so more sepith gain on average. You also don't want to be careful about making teams centered around offensive casting because offensive arts aren't really that great in this game.

Fie alternates between melee and ranged field attacks. In order to do the ranged one, she has to be aimed precisely at the enemy. That's the downside of Fie's field attack. The upside is that her weapon covers 3 types, so she can stun more types of enemies than any other character.

If you made it past the half-way point FC, you actually HAVE met the weird guy before. You just didn't know it was him.

If an enemy has high defense, it's usually a good idea to use Machias' Defense Down craft combined with Rean's Strength Up craft to break through their guard. If you haven't yet, it's also a good idea to upgrade one or two of your team's weapons at the orbal factory since you don't have Laura to smash stuff with her comically huge sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Erpy posted:

If you made it past the half-way point FC, you actually HAVE met the weird guy before. You just didn't know it was him.

For the record, as of this moment, he's finished all three Sky games, and I'm in chapter one (apparently still the prologue according to my save? I have been grinding too much) of the first but was told to wait for a little so something he suspects is coming isn't spoiled for me.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

Cyouni posted:

Interesting note: since Fie's got gunblades, she can shoot people with the gun portion as a field attack. I want to say it automatically triggers once they're within a certain distance, but I'd have to recheck that.

Erpy posted:

Fie alternates between melee and ranged field attacks.

I didn't know this until it was mentioned in a YT comment a little while ago and holy poo poo what a difference. I'd had her pegged as worst field character by a mile because of how long the windup on her swing is. Now she's actually useful!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- You're low on sepith because you spent a lot to open up all of Laura's slots. That was, in retrospect, not a great idea.

no regrets

END ME SCOOB posted:

For the record, as of this moment, he's finished all three Sky games, and I'm in chapter one (apparently still the prologue according to my save? I have been grinding too much) of the first but was told to wait for a little so something he suspects is coming isn't spoiled for me.

It's not a spoiler exactly (actually if anything it's more likely to spoil Sky than the other way around) but I want to capture the purity of a first experience on recording.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Level 1 Thief posted:

I didn't know this until it was mentioned in a YT comment a little while ago and holy poo poo what a difference. I'd had her pegged as worst field character by a mile because of how long the windup on her swing is. Now she's actually useful!
I've found the worst field character to always be the staff-users. It's slow, it has insane windup, and I don't even think it really stuns things that much.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

24. A Link Between Churls

They tried.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Level 1 Thief posted:

It's not a spoiler exactly (actually if anything it's more likely to spoil Sky than the other way around) but I want to capture the purity of a first experience on recording.

I feel like I need to point out that I have spent an absolutely shameful amount of time grinding while I avoid progressing the plot. So much so that I'm censoring this screenshot.

I'll bet nobody is surprised to learn I've opened everyone's slots. (Or that this is not 100% serious.)

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jun 1, 2019

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Resting restores CP in this game, but only sometimes. Whenever you rest at any place for free, it's just your HP and EP that gets restored. If you rest at an inn, including the Kirsche's Bar in Trista, you pay 100 mira and get the HP/EP restore plus 100 CP boost. If you rest at a more luxury hotel, like the Esmeralda where you've been staying, you pay 200 mira and get your HP/EP/CP maxed out. So in the end you didn't actually waste your money because walking up to your bed and picking Rest just restores your HP and EP. If you spent a lot of CP fighting a schoolhouse boss and don't want to go into your practical exam with a disadvantage, you can use the rest option at the Kirsche Bar to quickly max out your CP beforehand.

The game won't even allow you to gather the bath salts before fighting the Fate Spinner bounty monster. (the Fate Spinner is the same monster you had to visit Ravennue village early for in Trails in the Sky FC, btw) If you try to head to the fort or gather the salts before facing the monster and having Machias/Jusis' little moment, your party members cut in before you can leave the screen and tell you to go back.

S-breaks take longer than S-crafts selected from the menu. You pay for the ability to butt into line with some additional delay.

The reason Jusis and Machias couldn't restore their combat links was because of that status they were under. (the little symbol with the two figures and a wavy line) It's an actual bad status that severs your link and prevents you from establishing it until it runs out. It's pretty annoying, but there are practically no enemies/bosses whose attacks can inflict it, so you mostly see it during story-focussed battles where the game forcibly inflicts it. And yeah, until you put both Jusis and Machias into the active party, your characters will refuse to engage the monster.

Emma is very definitely not a bad liar, ahahaha. Not at all.

END ME SCOOB posted:

I feel like I need to point out that I have spent an absolutely shameful amount of time grinding while I avoid progressing the plot. So much so that I'm censoring this screenshot.

I'll bet nobody is surprised to learn I've opened everyone's slots. (Or that this is not 100% serious.)

Since experience scales to monster levels, I estimate it would take roughly between 60 and 80 hours or so to grind your characters to maximum level in the prologue. Heck, level 50 is grindy to reach on a normal run since the most rewarding groups in the final dungeon start dropping in experience by the time you're around level 40. That kind of tedium would probably be enough to permanently comatose most people.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 1, 2019

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
- ADF down is another status only really great against bosses, and then only if you have good casters. Trash enemies tend to die quick to arts anyway.
- The first battle against Zwordar was made easy because of Rean's 200 CP Critical S-Craft, but those guys can be a real pain if you don't kill them fast.
- In this game, Magic Crafts kinda suck even if the one using them is a caster. The second game improves arts in general.
- You haven't been challenged much because you're on Normal difficulty. Normal in this game is easy, so you shouldn't be having much trouble.
- Machias and Jusis's link breaking is scripted, but them getting an assist in that first battle is random.
- Rean's a noble, but he's a country noble from the sticks. Bath salts are a fancy urban noble thing.
- They want you to go to the fort first because it's a pretty lengthy jog through monster-filled dungeons, and it's kinda a hassle to go back and forth through that area. The game is trying to minimize the trips you have to go through here.

END ME SCOOB posted:

:stare: Playing normally, one should not hit level 50 even by the end of the game. The max level which carries over to SC is 45. Level 40 would be more expected.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Soo... are your final exams over with by now?

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

ugh goddammit i'm so loving bad about this

25. Tanks for Visiting

So here's the rundown I should've posted like a month and a half ago, feel free to ignore: We have the entire rest of chapter 2 recorded, but I was starting to run into a severe audio sync issue I couldn't quite pin down and no settings I tried fixed it by any acceptable amount. So what I have facing me is roughly five hours of videos that are all recorded differently that I need to manually put back in place. Some real life issues I won't get into (not finals, but thank you for bumping the thread, I was worried about that) reared their heads and instead of making a reasonable post about it my bad habit of ghosting came back and "I'll deal with it tomorrow" became "oh god it's been two months of tomorrow again." I really am sorry about that.

The good news is I finally tracked down the one loving checkbox that made everything go haywire. I've also taken some steps to make editing these things a bit less of a burden and we got a really solid test recording done this week (well, until it crashed, but I'm pretty sure that was RotTR's fault, it was always pretty crashy in DX12). I'm feeling pretty confident in how chapter 3 should go, so please hang with me while I deal with the problem files for a bit longer.

Also the chapter 2 boss sucks.

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 31, 2019

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Good to see this one back on track.

By the way, did you ever get around to purchasing that Frog Strap accessory in the mall in Bareahard? Like the plushy you bought in the last chapter in Celdic, it's one of the items required to get a zemurian ore shard for a final weapon and Christie's in Chapter 2 is the only place in the game where you can get it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- "The McMansion of forts" is a VERY appropriate description. It's a provincial army fort.
- You almost missed that book.
- I do like how the game shows Jusis getting confused or upset at seeing the fort, but doesn't wait long to make it clear why.
- People are used to healing and other pseudomagic through Orbments by now. But being able to do such things without orbments is another matter.
- Remember those kids reading for later. (Of course it's another Red Moon Rose.)
- Silver Hourglass is one of those accessories that goes straight into the junk drawer. Status protection is much better. You'd need really good stats on an accessory to make it a pure stat piece better.

Level 1 Thief posted:

Also the chapter 2 boss sucks.

Too Late Boss Tip: There's a reason why that fight starts off with Jusis and Machias linked. Jusis is good at Thrust attacks, Machias at Strike. One of the bosses gets unbalanced by Thrust, the other by Strike. You can get a great deal of bonus damage in through link attacks. Also, have Rean use Move to get behind one of them and have him Arc Slash both at once. I've tried this on both Hard and Nightmare and it is very effective.

Midterm Exams are coming up, so here's a couple tips:
- You have a choice of people to study with. You can only do like 3 of the 6 without Max Bonding Points. Normally you handle this in the LP by doing all you can now and then coming back to show the others off later, but in this case, I recommend reloading to see the others immediately, as part of the recording, and do that before doing the exams. Each group you study with gives you the answer to one of the questions on the exam. Machias and Elliot's question can be skipped for sure, but the others might be harder.
- Don't overthink the "art history" question.
- Your grade increases based not just on the 6 multiple-choice questions you get asked, but also talking to certain people on the study day, and finding certain books (shiny glowing dots) hidden around the campus, some in spots you wouldn't think of. Be diligent. Thankfully you can't leave campus so there's only so much ground to cover.

Practical Exam bonus condition clarification: The condition only applies to what YOU do, not the enemy.

If you've done well with AP, and I think you have, after the practical exam, you should get the Ingenuity fire-type quartz as a reward for ranking up. IMO, that's best for Alisa, as she has two locked fire slots (which are otherwise of little use on her) and needs the substantial EP regen the quartz provides.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

- People are used to healing and other pseudomagic through Orbments by now. But being able to do such things without orbments is another matter.

I mean I get it, it just comes across a little weird coming from a world where you can't do either of those things, looking into one where if you have the right jewelry you can summon a small tornado at any time.

Erpy posted:

By the way, did you ever get around to purchasing that Frog Strap accessory in the mall in Bareahard? Like the plushy you bought in the last chapter in Celdic, it's one of the items required to get a zemurian ore shard for a final weapon and Christie's in Chapter 2 is the only place in the game where you can get it.

I'll have to check, but I don't think so. I've pretty much resigned myself to having to replay all the chapter end dungeons anyway so it'll get taken care of before chapter 3 starts. (We did get the book from the kids, as seen in this video.)

26. Begrudging De-grudging

Rean's quest to have a meaningful heart-to-heart with every single person in the world continues on schedule. Machias might sleep better if he wasn't in his summer uniform.

also I started streaming adventure games check it out if you're into that

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 4, 2019

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Jusis is probably my favorite main character as far as plot goes in the Erebonia games. But with 3 and 4 coming out and the (apparently) massive plot dumps that come with them, that could change

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
- The party's conclusion that Bleublanc's probably not a real noble, but rather someone who plays up the stereotype is a pretty neat little bit if you played Sky the 3rd and are aware of B's supposed backstory.

- This is probably the first (and one of the few) times when the various heads of the Noble Faction are brought up and where it's mentioned that Angelica's dad is an agressive and hotblooded man while Patrick's dad is actually a fairly decent and reasonable guy.

- If I recall correctly, you can actually listen at the door of Count Gorti's bedroom (the inhabitant of the first residence in the Noble District who ate that treesap gemstone the other day) and hear that he's suffering from a pretty bad stomach ache. So yeah, eating that Dryad's Tear didn't do him much good.

- Jusis being good with kids gets brought up a couple of times in the games and it's also one reason a certain later character latches onto him early and often, much to his own frustration. XD

- Machias' embarrassed rant and Fie's childish lalalala-can't-hear-you reaction never stops being amusing.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Level 1 Thief posted:

I mean I get it, it just comes across a little weird coming from a world where you can't do either of those things, looking into one where if you have the right jewelry you can summon a small tornado at any time.

Yeah, I understand that. I kinda feel the same way. It's probably still an attitude that persists because orbal technology is only about 50-ish years old

- It's nice that other characters acknowledge that Rean's actions can be unusual. Jusis brings up Rean's excessive self-sacrifice here, and it should go without saying that Alisa also picked up on that.
- Sara said that if Rean doesn't "plant himself somewhere, he'll just get blown away by the next big gust that comes along". It basically was trying to say that Rean needs to pick a solid direction for his life, something he really believes in and pursues that, or else he'll get caught up in the plans of others and be used by them.
- I wouldn't call Fie's delivery of "Good Boy" creepy. "Patronizing", certiainly, but creepy, no.
- Wait, Ricky is actually in town before you bring Anton back? How did I miss him twice? I actually looked to see if I could find him, to see if there was a clue for the hidden quest, but I still missed him.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

- It's nice that other characters acknowledge that Rean's actions can be unusual. Jusis brings up Rean's excessive self-sacrifice here, and it should go without saying that Alisa also picked up on that.

What's interesting is that Jusis and Alisa notice the same trait, but jump to completely opposite conclusions. The rather naive Alisa sees Rean's lack of regard for his own life as selflessness and it causes her to be fascinated by him as a person. The rather cynical and jaded Jusis sees the same habit, but rather than seeing the good in it, it makes him wonder if there's something fundamentally broken about Rean.

- Wait, Ricky is actually in town before you bring Anton back? How did I miss him twice? I actually looked to see if I could find him, to see if there was a clue for the hidden quest, but I still missed him.

LOL, I missed him the first time too. He's kind of hidden away in that little corner seat near the station door.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Erpy posted:

What's interesting is that Jusis and Alisa notice the same trait, but jump to completely opposite conclusions. The rather naive Alisa sees Rean's lack of regard for his own life as selflessness and it causes her to be fascinated by him as a person. The rather cynical and jaded Jusis sees the same habit, but rather than seeing the good in it, it makes him wonder if there's something fundamentally broken about Rean.

And what's even more interesting is that in CS 2 Alisa and Jusis's views of Rean have essentially reversed positions. It seems clear (at least to me) that Alisa has recognized that Rean has self-worth issues, while Jusis has fallen sway to Rean's optimistic outlook and is willing to follow Rean's path.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Hey, did you know that audio interfaces can record at somewhat different speeds depending on whether they're in a USB 2 or 3 slot? Did you know that Premiere 2019 sometimes just softlocks when you try to open the import menu after you've been working for a while without saving? It's been an exciting few days.

27. Farewell, My Youth

Group A saves a very relatable young man, then finish up their field study quests. Nothing else really happens.

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 13, 2019

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
- If you want to "speed-run" your way to the fort, you'd probably do well to not just run all the way but to also hold down the Turbo button for additional speed. This will VERY MUCH come in handy in the next chapter where there's a lot of long-distance running.

- Anton's "troubled existence" was already a factor in FC and you were forced to deal with it if you wanted all chapters of Carnelia in order to trade for an ultimate weapon. Back then he and Ricky were hanging out in front of the Grancel department store where Anton was busy crushing on one of the passing NPCs and literally counting the number of times she was passing by, leering at her every time she passed him. Unbeknownst to him, she was aware (and thoroughly uncomfortable) of the fact he was making goo-goo eyes at her, eventually just avoiding getting near him. If you convinced her to resume her usual route by flashing your bracer emblem, Anton would be in good enough spirits to give you the final Carnelia chapter as he prepared to confess to his latest "Goddess". You later learn that she rejected him in the most certain terms possible, sending him into the usual Anton spiral of depression and drama.

When you first saw him chronologically in SC was when he was doing the EXACT same stuff; standing on the edge of a battlement screaming at the world. Then an earthquake happened and he nearly went kersplat. XD

And the last time Japanese players saw him chronologically was in Crossbell where he also popped up. And presumably his outburst was a reference to something that happened in either Zero or Ao. His luck with ladies hasn't really gotten better.

- I believe the level cap in FC is 50. 40 is just the maximum level that gets transferred if you import into SC. It's also the level where experience gain from enemies in the final dungeon starts plummetting.

- Rean and Machias could link before just fine. It was just Jusis and Machias who were barred from linking.

- Speaking of Carnelia, if you're interested in the blond guy, check out this canon (fan translated) manga, which takes place largely between SC and 3rd and features the white coated blond guy as well as two characters you know well.

https://www.esterior.net/2016/08/translation-wednesday-bonus-ring-of-judgment-complete-download/

- Actually, the butler was looking for Lady Annabelle, the eccentric pink-haired noble whose wallet you returned back in Celdic.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 13, 2019

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- Yeah, Anton is certainly a weirdo.
- The sad music during Anton's bridge event is the "Game Over" music.
- I actually use the cooking in this game because it is really handy, so even if I had 10 Globby Fat on hand here, I would still go get another 5.
- It's a good idea to finish all side quests before completing the last required quest on the list, as the story can advance in an unexpected way.
- If you had handed over the Globby fat before killing the monster, the restaurant scene would have a little extra dialogue from Machias. This version has all the dialogue of the version with Machias.
- New NPC dialogue usually happens after major main plot beats.
- One-off food items have the same gold potion bottle icons as Tear Balms and Battle scopes. Gold bun things on a white plate are unique food items and you can make as many of those as you have ingredients, once the person who can make it is known.
- Sister Tatiana being former nobility is just backstory, nothing to do with a quest or any NPC's here.
- The Chapter 1 hidden quest had Passion leaves, I think.
- :confused: Were you expecting that NPC's in the game would see all the blue, pink, and green hair and describe it as brown, black and red hair?

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

- :confused: Were you expecting that NPC's in the game would see all the blue, pink, and green hair and describe it as brown, black and red hair?

Usually these things are for character design distinction and don't get acknowledged at all in-universe, or if so only selectively. Think how in Persona 4, Kanji and Yosuke keep getting crap for coloring their hair despite Yukiko being the only party member with black hair, in a group that also includes solid grey and solid blue.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'd forgotten how much I love Cassandra Morris as Fie. If she were any more laid back she'd be horizontal.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

It's the end of chapter 2!

28. Ladder Safety

Group A visits the underground waterway and it's about what you'd expect. Fie speaks her mind on a controversial topic. alternate thumbnail

29. Big Trrrouble

Super successful rescue! Hope you're ready for some really bad gameplay, because hoo boy this one got a bit rough.

I'm not gonna do the books post right away but it should happen before we get to the next field study. We're gonna start recording chapter 3 soon so if there's anything we need to go back and get (besides previously mentioned Frog Strap) it's now or never.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
That mystery novel lie is probably the extend of Emma's lying abilities getting any better. And even now, Fie's clearly not buying it.

It's not like Aerial's EP cost is an issue when there's a recharging station in the very same room.

One thing that's consistent about S-crafts is that they never move your characters and have unlimited range.

Despite the Analyze art looking fancier, it's actually worse than the Detector craft, since the latter makes the enemy more vulnerable to unbalances, so you barely ever have a reason to use the art over the craft.

You were right in swapping in Emma when someone needs reviving, but you were wrong in forgetting she has a revival craft.

Yeah, that "I never look at turn bonusses in a Trails game"-moment wasn't your finest one...

You correctly noted that the battle was a callback to that Trails in the Sky moment with the two dogs. Then you went genre-savvy and assumed killing one would buff the other. To which Falcom said "LOL no, no reusing that gimmick", meaning the only effect spreading out your damage had was allowing them to double-team your guys more often. Speaking of double-teaming, that was the real gimmick in this battle and the reason it linked Jusis and Machias. One of the dogs is weak to thrust and the other to strike. Jusis has A on thrust and Machias has A on strike, meaning the battle has a lot of opportunity to get in follow-up attacks, if you don't spam arts all the time.

You probably figured as much, but that "innocent young couple" Bleublanc mentioned was totally Trails in the Sky's main duo.

Speaking of Sky, if you still remember who Lechter is, you can probably make an educated guess about what the blue haired loli's deal is.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Erpy posted:

Yeah, that "I never look at turn bonusses in a Trails game"-moment wasn't your finest one...

It's less that and more "it's tough to try to keep up an entertaining and relevant conversation and also keep careful tabs on every part of a lite tactical RPG system so those little circles tend to slip my mind while we're recording."

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- "No way I'm starting with that." :allears:
- Zeram Powder/Capsule is indeed pretty great stuff. The catch is that it's rare. I think you might be able to synth some at the pawn shop, but it's expensive (in terms of grinding need).
- I tried to run to the side so I could close the gate, but all that happens is that they say "that's the wrong way!"
- Right general idea with the boss's weaknesses, but wrong in specifics. Both are resistant to magic. The golden dog is weak to Machias's Strike attack, the red one is weak to Jusis's Thrust attack. Here's a video I made showing how to take advantage of that (Hard difficulty)..

- You're absolutely correct that this battle is about teamwork. You're also absolutely correct that getting Rean to the opposite side of one of them and arc-slashing is a good idea.
- Demonic Scythe is great against trash enemies because of Deathblow, but all bosses are immune to that for obvious reasons. Additionally, Rean is not very good at magic, so Rean using offensive magic against bosses is not ideal.
- Double Cracker is the nasty dangerous attack these bosses have. Faint resistance is a little helpful, but it usually hurts enough to kill anyone it hits regardless (on Hard or higher at least).
- Food is really good because it heals and removes negative status effects (or heals and buffs), so don't neglect making food.
- Confused enemies attack random targets, which usually means the closest one, so it probably would still attack anyway even if Confuse landed.
- :lol: That red arrow. :allears:
- Machias is going to mellow out from this point on. He and Jusis will still constantly bicker, but it'll be a lot less antagonistic. At the same time though, they never give a hint of romantic feelings towards each other either. In my view, they end up falling into the category of "vitriolic best buds".
- Actually, Rufus might not win "prettiest board member".
- You missed out on a perfect score in Chapter 2 by 1 point - you flubbed "how did Crow trick us" at the very start.
- Level 2 ranks are really important because of Finishing Blow.
- The achievement icon for Chapter 3 is also from the most important and visually striking scene.
- Good luck with Chapter 3, it's either my favorite, or second-favorite chapter.

Erpy posted:

Despite the Analyze art looking fancier, it's actually worse than the Detector craft, since the latter makes the enemy more vulnerable to unbalances, so you barely ever have a reason to use the art over the craft.

Yeah, Analyze also takes time to cast. In my video I used Battle Scopes to check the enemies out because I was waiting for more buffs anyway.

- If you want to farm victory quotes you missed, the old schoolhouse is good, although it would probably best be handled off-screen and edited together. And there's no rush to getting them.
- Other last minute things? Well, nothing comes to mind for Chapter 2, but Alisa's Ch 3 bonding event is a should-watch. Elliot's is probably skippable like usual. The practical exam bonus condition applies only to YOUR characters.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 20, 2019

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

- Zeram Powder/Capsule is indeed pretty great stuff. The catch is that it's rare. I think you might be able to synth some at the pawn shop, but it's expensive (in terms of grinding need).

IIRC, the thing you need for a Zeram Powder at the pawn shop is a Mishy Plush, which you can win by doing a certain minigame in the final chapter while picking a male party member as company for that event. (if you take a female party member to that event, Rean is a gentleman and gives her the plushy) That means there's a hard cap on the amount of Zeram Powders you can farm and you're also forced to avoid all the other attractions.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Erpy posted:

IIRC, the thing you need for a Zeram Powder at the pawn shop is a Mishy Plush, which you can win by doing a certain minigame in the final chapter while picking a male party member as company for that event. (if you take a female party member to that event, Rean is a gentleman and gives her the plushy) That means there's a hard cap on the amount of Zeram Powders you can farm and you're also forced to avoid all the other attractions.

And since it's an item you'll never use anyway because "what if I need it later", that just isn't worth it.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

And since it's an item you'll never use anyway because "what if I need it later", that just isn't worth it.

Sky and Cold Steel actually broke me of that habit. Especially because bosses in the latter half of Cold Steel II can be a bitch and a half.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Sky and Cold Steel actually broke me of that habit. Especially because bosses in the latter half of Cold Steel II can be a bitch and a half.

Cooking became especially valuable at a certain point where I'd ground up making as many as I could for the recipe book and then going back and noticing how useful some of them were. I'd reload and old save, make a back, and then try whatever fight was kicking my butt again.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Eventually, you'll get Moebius, which is the best Quartz in the game, aside from maybe Vermillion. At Max level, it doubles item efficacy and also gives items an m AoE. So maybe save a single powder or capsule for that, because, not gonna lie, it feels pretty good.

It blows my mind that someone likes Field Study 3. It's the slowest part of the game, maybe the slowest part of five US released Trails games. Plus you have a really wooden selection of characters.

Edit:
No. Any time that loving Jenis Academy pops up is slower

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 20, 2019

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I liked field study 3. I liked the change of pace from the usual towns as well as the atmosphere of the place. The amazing field music for that part probably played a role too. And hey, it's not too bad with Turbo mode.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Just remember to keep Motivate up a lot more and it'll help. Doubling up on it for the 50% Str is no joke, and really helps to make things easier.

On a different note, you may want to keep Rean's starting quartz (Force?) up on someone constantly for the MQ exp, as due to its CP scaling it's one of the most strongest MQ in the game. I think at level 5, it outputs +25 CP every time the user kills an enemy.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Cyouni posted:

Just remember to keep Motivate up a lot more and it'll help. Doubling up on it for the 50% Str is no joke, and really helps to make things easier.

On a different note, you may want to keep Rean's starting quartz (Force?) up on someone constantly for the MQ exp, as due to its CP scaling it's one of the most strongest MQ in the game. I think at level 5, it outputs +25 CP every time the user kills an enemy.

Yeah, stacking buffs, not just strength, is really helpful as that extra 25% makes a big difference.

As far as keeping Force on someone all the time, it's not really that essential unless you simply want it on all the time for the CP boosts. Since Master Quartz only has 5 levels, its experience scaling curve is a lot more jagged than that of characters. After an MQ levels up, its experience gain drops off so sharply it doesn't add much for a while and you might as well use that time to level up a lower level MQ until monster levels catch up and your first MQ starts gaining more than single digit experience again.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Erpy posted:

I liked field study 3. I liked the change of pace from the usual towns as well as the atmosphere of the place. The amazing field music for that part probably played a role too. And hey, it's not too bad with Turbo mode.

This is pretty much what I would have said to Veryslightlymad. The chapter also has some of my favorite scenes, and doing the rounds of talking to NPC's isn't bad. Chapter 3 is also the point where you start getting your hands on more powerful Arts, and they start to become an effective part of your offense.

Also, absolutely make an effort to keep your buffs up as much as possible in boss fights. Not just the damage ones either, increasing your defense or speed - all those advantages really add up dramatically. It's what I did in this version of the Chapter 2 boss. You don't have to be perfect on it, but neglecting it leads to longer fights, and more of your characters dying.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

30. Cram Session

Rean has barely ever studied for this whole game, so we're gonna have to turn to the dark arts to get through midterms.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
And where does all that hard work and studying get you, if you do everything right? Stay tuned!

Maybe I was a bit harsh on chapter 3. I mostly meant "I'm surprised anyone could think it's the best" and instead said "I'm surprised anyone can like it". Which was dumb of me to say. There are a few moments in it. I just think the pacing is really off, and it gets more and more off on replays. And this half leading into the chapter is great, too, after we get past all the study stuff in this video. You could make a pretty solid argument that chapter 3, after the exams, even though not all of the class is on the same page quite yet, is where Class 7 cohesively comes together as something like a family.

Pay close attention to who you can pick on the practical exam for extra dialogue.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- Acceptable/Sibling bickery is about the right way to describe Machias and Jusis's relationship, yes.
- I can respect not wanting a walkthrough of all the possible things. He did find the first bonus study book right away without help (and Beryl) so he knew what to look for.
- The Lionheart medals aren't quite endgame, but close. If you're diligent, you can get them early. You'll know when you get them.
- Seiryuu is good for it's two-statuses-in-one, making it great indeed for Fie/Machias/Gaius and other physical attackers.
- What Sara is talking about with combat links doesn't care about your link level with a person.
- I knew you'd miss the book in the Gym. It's out of the way with no reason to go near it, even if you're talking to all NPC's.
- Towa is a good choice as the answer is hard to guess otherwise. Emma is also a good choice. Crow or Jusis are about equally good depending on how well you know either survival or military stuff. Alisa's answer is perhaps just as likely to make you uncertain on the test than it is to help, and Machias's answer is completely skippable if you've been paying the least bit of attention to game mechanics. If you cared about getting more AP, though, it's best to use reloading to see the study events you aren't going to pick so you know the answers.

Erpy posted:

- The weird thing about "female student" in the library is that she has a unique model and enough coherence as a character to earn herself a name, yet for some reason she doesn't get one.

She doesn't have a unique model, it's a generic platinum blonde female noble model, used in a couple places, often crowd scenes with lots of students milling about. There's one of them in Class I.

The actual baffling unique model is the "long-purple-haired spiral twintails" girl from Artisan street in Barehard, no name, and used only there and nowhere else ever again.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
- Openly bashing Sara's shittiness as a teacher is like Class VII's unofficial daily teambuilding excercise. It helps that she usually brings it on herself.

- When Cold Steel's PC port first came out and people didn't have savegames to start New Game+ with maximum bonding points yet, some folks used Cheat Engines to lock the bonding points variable in place to keep it from decreasing. Then this part of the game bugged out for them since it runs out when bonding points reach 0, meaning they were permanently stuck.

- Yeah, Emily and Theresia are in charge of the lacrosse club. Also, when you were in Bareahard, you briefly witnessed Theresia's dad fussing to his fellow noble in the Sorciere restaurant over her friendship with a commoner, though we did learn that Emily's family is fairly influential in Heimdallr.

- The weird thing about "female student" in the library is that she has a unique model and enough coherence as a character to earn herself a name, yet for some reason she doesn't get one.

- The gimmick with the black cat is that if you manage to locate her and give her milk twice during a Trista sequence and then talk to her on the morning before heading out on a field study, she'll give you a Zeram item.

- Hibelle (who was sharing the table with Loggins in the cafetaria) is the second year heading up the Wind Orchestra. He plays the violin, just like Elliot. The first time Rean spoke to him he made a comment like: "Don't bother with the puns about my name."