Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

Psychepath posted:

I believe the precedent is that the possum familiars are tied to their people in a way that will let them be similarly long-lived, well past a normal possum's time, but they can be killed. But I also suspect that Paw Paw, like Balnor, would go into death saves instead of being outright killed like an NPC.

Actually a little disappointed after the most recent episode that Paw Paw is unkillable and just reverts to possum form, and explicitly has "plot armor" as Murph described. Emily gets a bunch of no-risk extra attacks and Paw Paw is so much less interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
dear lord this is a beefy sode

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
They said in the Short Rest, they said they’ll do around 30 more episodes. I’m assuming they’ll start a new campaign

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

theCalamity posted:

They said in the Short Rest, they said they’ll do around 30 more episodes. I’m assuming they’ll start a new campaign

Season 2: The Campaign After the Campaign After the Campaign

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
Well it's not a goliath but this will work too.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Holy poo poo Moonshine lmao

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

theCalamity posted:

I certainly hope so, I love these doofy fuckers and 30(ish) episodes more isn't even close to enough. I saw a video earlier on YouTube that mentioned the story of Sir Bearington too, and now I really want Murph to allow Emily to really lean in to some of her sillier ideas and see where they end up.

HoboTech posted:

Well it's not a goliath but this will work too.

I'm actually kind of disappointed. I know Jake said it was what he was hoping for, and if it's something he's happy with that's ultimately for the best but I can't help feeling that a Half-Elf is just kind of boring, and was really hoping for something a bit odd like a Goliath or Genassi. I'm not a player though, so maybe they just stand out to me visually and aren't all that odd for actual players. I do like the angle they've worked out, with it making Hardwon closer to The Crick, but at the same time, he was already a huge fan anyway, so it doesn't really feel like it adds much besides some narrative convenience to make it easier for him to settle there in an epilogue. Something that wouldn't have been out of place as is. I still hope they have him come back as a Gnome for a one-shot regardless.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
https://twitter.com/eaxford/status/1155914410621165569

I know most of you don't give a poo poo, but this basically never happens with podcasts, so I'm excited.

I don't even have to go to loving London!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
They have two UK & Ireland tour dates, and they're both in the UK. Not that I'm shocked they'd stick to the UK, but why the gently caress would you advertise it as being a UK & Ireland tour if you're only appearing in the UK?

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

This is admittedly pushing it as far as thread relevance goes, but Polygon do a board game show once a month, and Brennan Lee Mulligan is on the newest one.

Overboard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrjCPnbEMfE

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Reminds me how the McElroy's used to play Quiplash. You should all go back and watch those. Even the premise is good: A bunch of comedians play a party game in which you vote for the funniest answer.

Edit: just noticed this isn't the McElroy thread, which I am subscribed to, but there is probably a decent overlap and good advice is good advice.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 31, 2019

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Not Operator posted:

This is admittedly pushing it as far as thread relevance goes, but Polygon do a board game show once a month, and Brennan Lee Mulligan is on the newest one.

Overboard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrjCPnbEMfE

I love Brennan.

"Now if this was a REAL war I'd get his coins...you're not even checking the rules, don't wanna check?"

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Hey so 'In the Bag' with Balnor might be the funniest thing they've ever recorded. I don't want to seem like I'm shilling for their Patreon, but if you ever considered going to $10, now's the time.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Not Operator posted:

Hey so 'In the Bag' with Balnor might be the funniest thing they've ever recorded. I don't want to seem like I'm shilling for their Patreon, but if you ever considered going to $10, now's the time.

In the Bag with Balnor sucks, sorry. I'm all about Getting Deep with Hardwon.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

theCalamity posted:

In the Bag with Balnor sucks, sorry. I'm all about Getting Deep with Hardwon.

poo poo. I am very tempted right now.

Is this just in character conversations with Hardwon and Balnor?

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Balnor starts a podcast. Everybody brings their own segment.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

RC Cola posted:

poo poo. I am very tempted right now.

Is this just in character conversations with Hardwon and Balnor?

No, it's a convo Hardwon has with other people. Just listen to In the Bag with Balnor

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Not Operator posted:

It was a bit too disconnected and random for me, I think. Don't get me wrong, it was still quite funny; but I enjoy the more set formula of the actual episodes, Short Rests, discussions about media and so on more. It just made me feel sorry for Hardwon at times too. Jake seems to really enjoy leaning in to making his characters kind of dopey and not as cool as they think they are, but he leaned a bit too hard in this instance and made Hardwon kind of pathetic and actually pitiable. I'd presume it's just a joke for the sake of this particular thing, much as they talked about how it's canon that Jivelin was dating Gemma and she thought Hardwon was a forgettable ex, but it was still kind of jarring to listen to.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I’ve been binging through the 8-bit Book Club backlog (thanks for the suggestions, it’s pretty much my favorite podcast now) and it really is shocking to hear how many NADDPOD goofs originated from this show. I’m particularly surprised at how much inspiration Murph seemed to pull from the 2nd World of Warcraft book they read—there’s a Jenna and a Jaina who are dwarf sisters, and Emily keeps calling Jaina Gyna. The main character also goes on a vision quest to gain favor from all four elemental spirits. Like whaaaaat?! And then of course there’s all the DnD-adjacent episodes...

I’m on the episodes just after their summer hiatus and I’m sure there are even more references to come

PS: also Dimension 20 owns, add my glowing recommendation to the pile. In fact, Dropout owns! I’ve also enjoyed the other shows on there, especially Paranoia & Rank Room, upon which Murph, Caldwell, & Jake all have made guest appearances

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Its not Naddpod related at all, but Erotic Book Club is my favourite thing on Dropout.

I honestly expected to have a subscription for a month while I watched the back half of Dimension 20, but they really do keep pushing out good content.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
If we're giving recommendations, then I'd like to recommend Dungeons & Daddies (Not a BDSM Podcast). Which isn't actually related to NaDDPod, Dropout etc. at all, but I think the content and tone of the podcast is similar enough that anyone who likes NaDDPod will probably like Dungeons & Daddies. It's another comedy D'n'D podcast, and while there is some drama, it focuses on the silliness and hi jinx in the same way that NaDDPod does.

The basic gist of the podcast is that 4 regular dads are traveling to a soccer game with their kids when they cross over in to a D'n'D realm in some unspecified (and unimportant) way, and when they wake up all the kids have been taken so they set out to get them back. They still have their car (some brand of soccer mom van I think), their mobiles etc and the DM has folded those things in to the campaign in small ways. So they can use the car to travel around conveniently, and their phones can still ring their families on Earth, but every time they use the phone they have to roll to see how much the battery degrades. One of them has a smaller penalty though, because he has a Nokia 3210 or something; so the battery life is better. They also suffer damage every time one of them tells a dad joke for the first few episodes. Which seems to have stopped pretty quickly, for the simple reason that they only have like 8HP or 10HP and they were constantly running each other in to the ground health-wise by telling dad jokes. They still tell dad jokes, but they've become immune to the psychic damage it causes. It still annoys everyone else around them though.

The DM has a story set out, but like Murph he's happy to let the cast just gently caress around and warp any characters they come across in silly ways to make them more amusing, and the cast themselves lean in to the silliness of their characters. So, they start every episode with random facts about their characters to let you know dopey facts that give you a better insight in to how they think. So for instance, one of them likes a kind of sopey musician that he's a bit ashamed of and tells everyone their CD is stuck in the car's music player, but really, he just never takes it out because he likes listening to it. It reminds me a lot of how Jake tends to portray Hardwon, by making him less cool than he thinks he is.

What made me think it'd be something a NaDDPod listener might enjoy though is the episode I listened to today. Which is the 5th episode (they only have 14 out so far). The received some magic items, didn't actually find out what they did and then immediately used one of them in a way that completely derailed the DM's plans, throwing the big fight they had been building up out they window as they instead just dealt with the fallout of their own silliness. If anyone wants more details, then what happened is: 3 of the 4 dads were getting out a jail and stopped to pick up their gear before they went to help the 4th, who was facing off with a boss and few grunts in an elevator shaft; while grabbing their gear, they come across some magic items and each take one, before setting aside the last item for the 4th guy. The item they save for him is a bag of beans, which the DM says he isn't going to give them the full details of and will let them find out on their own. When they reach the roof of the tower and see the last member is in the elevator shaft, they throw the entire bag down the shaft. At which point, the DM stops the game, makes them go outside and simulate what happens by placing 8 dice in a bag (to match the number of beans) and throwing it off a two story height to see how many dice fall out of the bag; because that's apparently the instructions on the bag if anyone is ever stupid enough to throw the entire bag at once, instead of one bean at a time. This done, 4 beans fall out of the bag, with 3 of them having harmless effects and the 4th generating a 60ft square pyramid that bisects the tower they are in, collapsing it and nearly killing them all as the boss decides there's enough insane poo poo happening that his plan must have worked (he wanted to summon an Eldritch horror) and just peaces out; and the cast struggle to find some way to land safely. It's the same kind of dumb poo poo the BoBs do basically, or maybe even as the Trinnyvale crew do, given that Caldwell is a bit more inclined to humor their silliness and not at least attempt to keep them on track.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

tsob posted:

If we're giving recommendations, then I'd like to recommend Dungeons & Daddies (Not a BDSM Podcast).

I believe it's now (Sometimes a BDSM Podcast)

anyways it's great and probably the dnd thing that makes me laugh the most every week. beth may is an absolute treasure, and most of the rest of the guys are from Story Break so they have a good, comfortable rapport with each other

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Isn't that also DMed by Anthony Burch? I've heard some weird things about him.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
If you need a further reason to sign up a Patreon account, Jake has started doing streams where he chats to people and answers questions while painting minis. He did his second one last night, and they're fun as a background noise or second monitor material. Jake getting defensive as gently caress about his animal companions is great. He had no idea why people started flooding the chat with "F" after Caw-Caw was brought up, and then insisted Caw-Caw was alive and fine for a short while afterwards. Obviously in a comic manner, but still fun to witness. Especially given that at one point he was basically going "I know where Caw-Caw is. I sent her off to give a message to Mee-Maw. I mean Maw-Maw. Wait, where is Caw-Caw. She's fine. Let me roll a dice to see where she is. Oh, it's a natural 1. I guess Caw-Caw's dead".

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I personally love the slow development of Jake from normal bro to mini-painting turbo nerd. It's like watching someone fall in love.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

I hope my wife doesn't find me streaming.

Oh I painted this one earlier. Pretty cool, right?

I hope my wife doesn't come home early.

Uh, yes, we are coming to NYC.

I hope my wife doesn't find out how much I spent on minis.

Not Operator fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 13, 2019

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Orcus outta nowhere

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

given hardwon's insecurity about his new body, i wonder why we haven't heard anything about his new dick

Rip_Van_Winkle fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 16, 2019

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Is his new body a virgin?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Jesus, this latest episode was a loving trip. Murph really packed that one encounter: a maguffin that could heavily influence the tide of the upcoming war (even if just by influencing the Elves), Akarot trying to take the maguffin and one of Thiela's top henchmen just trying to gently caress up the whole city in an entirely separate plot. As Bev said, all their biggest enemies come to roost at once. Mavris brought the heat too, coming in with some clutch rolls to save Moonshine 3 or 4 times over. His twinspell was ridiculous too; dealing 10d6+40 damage to two enemies at once. That's probably the single biggest damage roll any of the players have rolled in the entire game, and he was rolling it on two enemies at the same time. Not to mention Bev falling after Akarot kills him, landing with two immediate death save rolls against him because of falling damage. I seriously thought he was dead for good when Murph said that it wasn't Moonshine's go after that, when she went to heal him and instead had Akarot walk over.

I think I might actually have to relisten to the episode again in the next few days, because I was playing a puzzle game while I was listening to it and ended up only half paying attention to some parts, but the action, drama and humor were all so on point that it feels like it deserves my full attention at some point.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

dimension20 spoilers lmfao is an immortal robert moses really the big bad of this season because that is perfect

this new season is a delight

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

It was a heartbreaking episode, especially the stuff with Kugrash and Pete

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

What a great episode. Spread them cheeks!

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

I wish Zac was a permanent part of the boobs. He played off of everybody really well, and the party really benefited from having an arcane caster around too.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Speaking of Zac (and others) -

https://www.twitch.tv/dropoutlive

Dropout has been streaming the previously paywalled episodes of Fantasy High on Twitch. One of them was followed by Brennan talking to Emily and Murph and mentioning...

https://twitter.com/dimension20show/status/1164657297102123018

They're going to start a livestream continuing Fantasy High.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Also I don't want to link them all in a row, but the Nannerfly effect posters are all loving amazing.

There's a thread surrounding this bad boy that contains them all.
https://twitter.com/NADDPod/status/1166396261265657856

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Everybody please be sure to

PRAISE
CHRIST
and
PICKLE YOUR
DICE

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

“I’m not superstitious.”

“Praising the dice devil makes me nervous.”

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
If I could fillet here, if I could just fillet here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

That stupid fish gag broke me multiple times. I had to pull over while driving.