Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, can't speak on the comic, but The Boys tv show is fantastic. Karl Urban is a lot of fun, and the Snyder Superman influences on how Homelander is handled, his costume and how he's shot, are pretty cool. It fits well with—and I'm not saying this part is a specific response, I imagine it's in the comic—the way he's specifically what Ma and Pa Kent in those movies were trying to keep Clark from growing up into.

Not that you have to like those movies to like the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I'm really enjoying it as well. It's extremely violent at times and does a good job of using the violence for comedy or pure horror and not just shock value. The comedy isn't over the top, the characters make reasonable choices for who they are, it's just well put together.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Homelander in this series, is Brightburn with more self-control and better handlers.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

It's Brightburn if you change the malign influence from a telepathic alien spaceship to capitalism.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
A lot of similarities to Hyperion from Supreme Power too. Superman but what if evil isn't exactly an original concept. :)

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

The MSJ posted:

I hope this leads to seven more hours before a reveal that the aliens have to destroy us to save the galaxy.

Right now Another Life has gone a bit viral in South East Asia because in one episode they use a rambutan as an "alien fruit".

drat, I know SciFi has a tendency to cut corners because of the budget, but that’s a really lazy prop decision.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The MSJ posted:

Right now Another Life has gone a bit viral in South East Asia because in one episode they use a rambutan as an "alien fruit".

Whoa Black Betty!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just rewatched Dark Crystal and it's still so goddamn good. The story is pretty standard fare but it's fun and visually it's still one of the greatest movies ever made. The creativity of Jim Henson and the people behind DC is just off the charts.

I'm usually really adverse to Hollywood dredging up the corpses of beloved movies/TV from the past and trying to make a quick buck off of it, but my hype levels for the new Dark Crystal show are off the charts. I just love how true it looks to the original movie and that they actually went with using puppets instead of making it into some CGI cartoon.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah I am cautiously excited for Dark Crystal 2.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Just finished Orange is the New Black. Not only did they shoehorn in some manipulative current events poo poo with ICE, they directly had it up against a well-connected white girl on parole's life being just, like, so hard because she can't have a pot brownie for six months with no shred of irony. Life's just so unfair you guys! Now here's a scene of a mother desperately trying to reach out to her kids who think she just up and vanished one day, followed by Piper getting seduced by a wealthy redhead... but aw, she misses her prison wife!

They also spent way too much time on the former subplot and tried to make us care about characters that unceremoniously disappeared towards the end, as in they showed them disappearing. I get it, ICE is the currently worst thing to happen in ever. Have a spin-off maybe, there were so many plot threads dangling for characters that have been there since the beginning. There are parts of the show I'll always like, but it's going to be a hard rewatch, if ever.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just watched the first episode of the boys and yeah I am totally on board for this.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Just watched the first episode of the boys and yeah I am totally on board for this.

It somehow gets better and better. They'd better be giving me a second season.

vv thank you, excellent work, Inspector vv

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 4, 2019

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
They're already shooting the 2nd season, some goon or another posted pictures of them filming nearby their work.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1157846994980937728?s=21

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

LifeLynx posted:

Just finished Orange is the New Black. Not only did they shoehorn in some manipulative current events poo poo with ICE, they directly had it up against a well-connected white girl on parole's life being just, like, so hard because she can't have a pot brownie for six months with no shred of irony. Life's just so unfair you guys! Now here's a scene of a mother desperately trying to reach out to her kids who think she just up and vanished one day, followed by Piper getting seduced by a wealthy redhead... but aw, she misses her prison wife!

They also spent way too much time on the former subplot and tried to make us care about characters that unceremoniously disappeared towards the end, as in they showed them disappearing. I get it, ICE is the currently worst thing to happen in ever. Have a spin-off maybe, there were so many plot threads dangling for characters that have been there since the beginning. There are parts of the show I'll always like, but it's going to be a hard rewatch, if ever.

Wow. How horrible for you to be forced to have to think about something important.

gently caress off you piece of poo poo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
I dunno, Piper always seemed out of place as the main character. The criticism of the unironic juxtaposition of her banal middle class problems with the real poo poo a lot of the other inmates go through is very valid in my opinion. I haven't seen the latest season, but if it's anything like the rest of them, any scene with Piper will make me want to do something else for the duration. The ICE angle sounds interesting, but if it's constantly followed up by Piper readjusting to life out of prison, I can imagine it being insufferable. Her non-problems were out of place while she was in prison; imagine hownout of place they are when she returns to her boring middle class life.

Joda fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 4, 2019

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Nihonniboku posted:

Wow. How horrible for you to be forced to have to think about something important.

Like I said, it was only bad because it was in the loving same few minutes as showing Piper have a nervous breakdown because she couldn't have a shot of tequila. It did make me think about how horrible it was, it was really good at making me angrier at ICE, but was constantly interrupted by reminding me how tone deaf the showrunners were. Not once were the two situations compared with any sense of self-awareness, which would have tied it all together in a meaningful way.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

King of New York is on prime and anyone who doesn’t watch it, whether they’ve seen it before or not, is very much depriving themselves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4bprq-BYi0

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 4, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

This response seems...extreme. I feel like i'm on twitter

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

veni veni veni posted:

This response seems...extreme. I feel like i'm on twitter

This is the morning after two white supremacists in two separate domestic terrorist attacks shot and murdered 26 people, injured 20 more, and left behind manifestos filled with hate against immigrants.

The poster above decided it would be appropriate to write a derisive comment dripping with condescension complaining about being forced to have to think about issues that immigrants have to go through.

About a show that has always had immigrant stories, particularly Latinx, at its forefront. A show that has always had social justice issues at the front and center. (Didn't we just finish a full three seasons dealing with the Black Lives Matter movement?)

They complained about the story about an ICE detention facility being shoehorned in, when they actually began setting it up last season.

How well they handled the story is a legitimate discussion. But their comments were gross and disgusting. I shouldn't have to explain myself, you should be holding the above poster accountable.

Orange is the New Black didn't do anything this season that they haven't done every single season prior to this one.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I can only hope that when I too am gunned down, it will not have been in vain. That someone, somewhere, will use my grisly death to score points in an argument about a TV show.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You completely twisted the intent of their post into something you could lash out at. Nothing they said was gross or disgusting. They were literally complaining about the same thing you seem to be complaining about.

There are already two websites, the two biggest websites in the world in fact, that are specifically made for people to just yell "gently caress you!" at each other all day. I really don't want to read it in the Netflix thread.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Nihonniboku posted:

This is the morning after two white supremacists in two separate domestic terrorist attacks shot and murdered 26 people, injured 20 more, and left behind manifestos filled with hate against immigrants.

The poster above decided it would be appropriate to write a derisive comment dripping with condescension complaining about being forced to have to think about issues that immigrants have to go through.

About a show that has always had immigrant stories, particularly Latinx, at its forefront. A show that has always had social justice issues at the front and center. (Didn't we just finish a full three seasons dealing with the Black Lives Matter movement?)

They complained about the story about an ICE detention facility being shoehorned in, when they actually began setting it up last season.

How well they handled the story is a legitimate discussion. But their comments were gross and disgusting. I shouldn't have to explain myself, you should be holding the above poster accountable.

Orange is the New Black didn't do anything this season that they haven't done every single season prior to this one.

Nice meltdown. It's a loving TV show.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

King of New York is on prime and anyone who doesn’t watch it, whether they’ve seen it before or not, is very much depriving themselves

love that movie

$56.90? gently caress you very much

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
https://youtu.be/saXM2VOBI0M

I don’t care how dumb this is, I’ll be watching every episode.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Just watched King of New York for the first time last week, I want to third the recommendation.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I gotta rewatch Dear White People S2. Other than the last scene, I don't remember anything about Sam's involvement in the secret society storyline.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Minus Man just got put on Prime. Is it good?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've been watching In The Heat of the Night the series on Prime. I remember seeing it on local TV like ten years ago and remembered it as sleepy daytime TV on the level of Matlock or something, but I'm surprised by how dramatic it can get. Also, the show started in 1988, but it appears to be shot in widescreen. For late 80s TV, it's shot really well.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I loved Heat of the Night. Check out the movie it's based on if you haven't already.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

This is a great flick

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Medullah posted:

I loved Heat of the Night. Check out the movie it's based on if you haven't already.

I saw it back in high school and loved it. I bought the Criterion during last month's sale, watched it, then started watching the series.

I'm constantly in awe whenever there's some backwards poo poo going on in 1988 that I just naively assumed went away decades before.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I watched all six seasons of Justified on Prime over the past couple weeks. This show is surprisingly even throughout its entire run. With most shows there's always at least a few episodes that are just a waste of time or outright bad but I can't really think of any for this one. I guess the first half of the first season was kind of boring with all the one-off episodes but that's about it. Well that and that weird subplot in season two or whenever with Winona deciding to steal a bunch of money from the vault for no reason. Apparently, season five is considered the bad one but I still thought it was fine, which is weird because I loving hate Michael Rappaport. I'm mostly just impressed it managed to be consistently good and didn't fizzle out or go off the rails midway through. I don't watch a whole lot of tv for this reason. The theme song is godawful though, jesus christ.

I'd just finished watching Vice Principals before this, so it took a second to get used to seeing Walton Goggins as legitimately intimidating again. Boyd and Russell are pretty similar characters I guess, they both even sassily hip-check things. Russell is just a bit more flamboyant and psychotic.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
How can you hate Michael Rappaport??

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
his instagram/sports take/real-life persona is cringe as gently caress

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

pahuyuth posted:

That loving accent

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

pahuyuth posted:

https://youtu.be/sJeuWZNWImE

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

This is the only other good thing he’s done.

The guy just irritates me. He’s always so grating, and not in a good way. I have bad memories of some lovely Fox sitcom with him too. But he was supposed to be an irritating piece of poo poo in Justified, so it worked for me.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

He does a good job not doing his usual shtick and actually Acting in the movie Chuck. It's from 2017, it was incredibly well reviewed and it's streaming on Netflix under the name The Bleeder. Starring Liev Schreiber in one of his best roles ever alongside of a totally stacked cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

A few episodes into The Boys and I'm really enjoying it. I liked the comic too and am impressed with how the show has managed to sand off some of the rougher edges of the comic without it feeling watered down and still sticking to the same themes.