Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

Can't wait for Harbor Freight to enter the hot air balloon market.

I assume they would call that product line "Icarus International" or something of the sort.

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Is there any reason to get this green/black Wera set
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001NQQCM/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_jUXrDbVNSG32V

...over this insulated set (aside from the superior color scheme)?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0085NTQJK/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_UUXrDbM0NG9YA

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

nmfree posted:

They won't be filled with hot air, they'll use the cheaper and more effective hydrogen instead.

I figured they would sell the "air" from their stores. There has to be a lot of combustibles that give them the unique smell.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

The insulated drivers have wider shafts, so getting to some recessed fasteners can be more difficult or impossible with the insulated.

I've also noticed when prying with the insulated, the shafts flex and bend more.

Also, how often do you actually do work on electrically live equipment?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

MRC48B posted:

Significantly more than I should. But in my defense, nobody labels panels properly, and I don't like working in the dark anyway.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

MRC48B posted:

The insulated drivers have wider shafts, so getting to some recessed fasteners can be more difficult or impossible with the insulated.

I've also noticed when prying with the insulated, the shafts flex and bend more.

Never on purpose. I just noticed that they were cheaper for some reason.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

The only reason to get the insulated is the color, or working on live equipment.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

MRC48B posted:

The only reason to get the insulated is the color, or working on live equipment.

They're also about $4.50 cheaper on Amazon right now.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Cat Hatter posted:

They're also about $4.50 cheaper on Amazon right now.

MRC48B posted:

The only good reason to get the insulated is the color, or working on live equipment.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Colostomy Bag posted:

I figured they would sell the "air" from their stores. There has to be a lot of combustibles that give them the unique smell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8mD2hsxrhQ

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

MRC48B posted:

I would love to hear the marketing justification for that one.

Y'know what will connect us with potential customers? Hot air balloons

those balloon festivals are all over the place and the unconventional shapes get all the attention. it probably works out pretty well when you consider the cost against the number of people that see the balloon.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Makita impact
You are a pleasure to use
I want to caress

So we're renting some space in a basement at work, 3.6 meter ceilings, and the previous tenant had left a bunch of photo studio rigging bolted to the ceiling. I'd told him to clean up for three months now, so on Friday I decided to take matters into my own hands, brought the impact, and within the hour I had 30+ fasteners yanked out.

Brap is life.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm aware this is in a car forum, but you guys buy so many tools that I'm sure you'll have opinions on this. My first house is on the border of woods and holy poo poo no one told me this was going to be a constant war. I've been borrowing some power tools but I'm getting ready to buy some stuff. I need a hedge trimmer, pole saw, and chainsaw. Hedge trimmer is for hedges and more ornery plants and vines. Pole saw is for tree limbs 40 feet above my head to clear space for a fire pit I just installed among other out of reach limbs, and the chainsaw is actually for cutting down trees, maybe 14 inches in diameter at most.

How far has electric come? I'd be using these things seldomly so I feel like gas might be overkill, but if they don't have the power, I'm fine with gas as well. Past this point I'll take recommendations for brands or if I go all electric, a battery system.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 5, 2019

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I have no personal experience, but FWIW, I work in a hardware store and people love Dewalt and Milwaukee cordless garden tools, even Ryobi's 18v are pretty popular. Although I live/work in a relatively urban area

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I'd say electric is pretty drat good these days for all the tools you mention, if the quality is right. I have the Ryobi pole saw and weed wacker, and both are pretty decent for non-pro duties. The chain tensioning on the pole saw does suck a bit, but that's more an annoyance. Get a 5ah battery and you can work for quite a while. Low noise is a big plus for me, but I don't know how close your neighbors are. Borrow a big gas saw for the big trees. I don't think you will find many powered 40 foot pole saws though.

Edit. That being said, I love my big Stihl gas weed wacker with harness and bush blade. One of my most used garden tools and it will cut small trees no problem. It's in a different league to the 18v one, but it's obviously a case of cost and need

Humbug fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 5, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

um excuse me posted:

How far has electric come? I'd be using these things seldomly so I feel like gas might be overkill, but if they don't have the power, I'm fine with gas as well. Past this point I'll take recommendations for brands or if I go all electric, a battery system.

Electric has come far enough that it can take the place of gas in many uses. I switched to an electric mower this year and it's quiet and performs just as well as a gas mower. Plus, it's super easy to store and lighter.

I also have a blower from the same company that is at the same level as gas.

Check out Ego -- https://egopowerplus.com/products

All their stuff uses the same batteries, so if you stay in the ecosystem, you only need a couple batteries for using many tools. Additionally, they charge fast -- a 7.5AH battery charges in just about an hour. I've got a 1/3 acre yard and I run through ~80% of that battery in a mow.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
I have the ego pole saw, pole hedge trimmer, 16" chain saw, and one of their trimmers. I'm very pleased with all of them.

I don't know if a pole saw is viable for 40' tall limbs. I can comfortably cut limbs 10-12' off the ground. you'd need to be standing on at least a 30' tall ladder which doesnt sound like a great idea.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hire someone or get the shotgun, got it. I still have use for a pole saw below those heights, I was just listing extremes to best describe the range I'm looking for.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

How bad do you think leaves will be?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It's a convenience thing mostly. The fall is peak firepit season, I don't want to be constantly raking leaves to use it. Like I said in the original post, I'm backed against woods so a fire can easily get out of control very quickly. Plus I've toasted the leaves off branches up there before. Didn't think heat stayed concentrated that high up

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

You can get a manual pole saw with extensions to get up about 20'-25' or so. Forty feet is pretty dang up there.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I have a heavily forested 2 1/2 acres, and I'd spring for a gas chainsaw, the care and feeding is a little bit of a pain, but I don't think a cordless would have handled the 4 apple trees and a giant 40' Alder that fell during a snow storm and blocked my street during a snow storm that also caused a power outage.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

um excuse me posted:

I'm aware this is in a car forum, but you guys buy so many tools that I'm sure you'll have opinions on this. My first house is on the border of woods and holy poo poo no one told me this was going to be a constant war. I've been borrowing some power tools but I'm getting ready to buy some stuff. I need a hedge trimmer, pole saw, and chainsaw. Hedge trimmer is for hedges and more ornery plants and vines. Pole saw is for tree limbs 40 feet above my head to clear space for a fire pit I just installed among other out of reach limbs, and the chainsaw is actually for cutting down trees, maybe 14 inches in diameter at most.

I just got a milwaukee M18 chainsaw.
It replaced a poulan 16" gas chainsaw.

So far, i used it to cut down 3 20ft high cedar hedges, the trunks were probably 12" in total. Took a 4 AH, 9 AH, and a 16Ah battery. I did a lot of cuts, as I didn't want to fell the whole thing at once, and then I chopped it up into little pieces of firewood.
- More power than the gas saw
- Runtime on the 12 AH battery is about the same as a tank of gas, which is one tank of chain oil
- Runtime on the 9AH battery, could be OK, battery overheated before it ran out.
- 4AH battery was in there by accident, as I wanted to make it lighter, and it lasted minutes.
- The chain is more delicate than the poulan, it was a .050 chain and this one is .043 or something. It appears the drive gear is damaging the chain, but for my use its fine. Chain gets dull just as fast, the chain was super sharp at the beginning which probably contributed to the 9ah overheating.

- Saw is longer than any normal saw, so no case fits.

I also have the m18 weed wacker, the older one not the one with polesaw attachments. Its good, but certainly not as good as the stihl gas we had.
I have been seeing more and more contractors with stihl electric, but i had milwaukee batteries already and not infinite money to buy new batteries and charger.

I really hope that milwaukee comes up with a lawnmower, as I really like not having to maintain small gas motors. The pressure washer won't be replaced by electric yet, and neither will the generator. two is better than trying to take care of 4-5 motors.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

^Milwaukee is supposedly the only battery chainsaw from the major makers that has a decent chain tensioner and bar fastening system, if you're not already in the ecosystem it may not be worth it.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Elviscat posted:

I have a heavily forested 2 1/2 acres, and I'd spring for a gas chainsaw, the care and feeding is a little bit of a pain, but I don't think a cordless would have handled the 4 apple trees and a giant 40' Alder that fell during a snow storm and blocked my street during a snow storm that also caused a power outage.

This. A chainsaw is one of those tools that when you need it, you really fuckin' need it and no bullshit powering it. Any long-time woods resident knows this from experience and keeps their saw(s) in tip-top condition.

A nice Husky or Stihl in the 16"-20" range is a godsend.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

um excuse me posted:

Figured I'd compare my experience with my 80v Kobalt chainsaw to blindjoe's Milwaukee since I used to sell chainsaws to homeowners.

Costs the same as a Husqvarna 440 18" 2-stroke saw that will be much more capable if you plan on using it frequently or in some sort of emergency where you can't take your time with your work but your local power company etc. wouldn't be doing the work themselves.
Too long to fit in a case.
Ran a speed test* against an 18" Poulan Pro and the Kobalt won.
Uses the same chain as the Poulan Pro (Oregon S62).
Comes with a 2AH battery that works out to slightly shy of a 9AH M18 in overall capacity.
Has a scrench stored in the handle (I hate tool-less chain tensioners. YMMV)
Battery charges from dead in 30-minutes.
Making repeated cuts through the lower trunk will drain the battery in short order**
Cutting through branches or the upper trunk will wear me out faster than the battery.
The timeout that shuts the saw off before you have to press the "On" button again is really short to the point that basically any time you set the saw down to move something will require you to press the button again before you pull the trigger. I'm sure this is intentional, but still mildly annoying when dealing with branches.

*Three cuts through a pair of 2x4s screwed together. Gas saw was already running when I started.

**The battery was probably overheated rather than dead. There is no status light for an overheated battery other than the charger refusing to charge it until it cools down. Charger will still blow cool air through the battery's vents until it is cool enough to start charging though.

Glamour shot:

For scale:

The 3 year battery warranty/ 5 year saw warranty is really nice but I've found that if I need individual parts it is often better to call Greenworks (the manufacturer) and they'll send me what I need and send the bill to Kobalt. Fun fact: the Greenworks 80v batteries are electrically identical and can be used interchangably after widening the alignment channel (likely defeating the warranty in the process).

If running 3+ pounds of lithium through a table saw doesn't get you to clench up, I don't know what will.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
My thoughts about gas vs electric has always been colored by the lawnmowers, chainsaw, and weed whacker I used growing up, where it was always a huge loving hassle to get the damned 2-strokes running again after sitting for awhile. If I needed to keep a small yard clear I'd lean heavily toward electric, just for the "grab and go" ability, and not having to gently caress around with spilling gas, how old the gas is, how gunked up the carbs are, etc.

There's a point where gas is the better option (in chainsaws especially, I imagine) where gas is the least hassle, but if it's just occasional use or a small yard, I'd lean heavily towards electric.

That said, there are probably much more reliable gas engines being put into things now than thirty years ago.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

boxen posted:

My thoughts about gas vs electric has always been colored by the lawnmowers, chainsaw, and weed whacker I used growing up, where it was always a huge loving hassle to get the damned 2-strokes running again after sitting for awhile. If I needed to keep a small yard clear I'd lean heavily toward electric, just for the "grab and go" ability, and not having to gently caress around with spilling gas, how old the gas is, how gunked up the carbs are, etc.

There's a point where gas is the better option (in chainsaws especially, I imagine) where gas is the least hassle, but if it's just occasional use or a small yard, I'd lean heavily towards electric.

That said, there are probably much more reliable gas engines being put into things now than thirty years ago.

You'd be surprised. Engines are more fuel efficient so the passages are smaller so they clog up easier.

This post is basically why I've replaced everything but the riding mower with electric. If I could foresee an incident where I wouldn't be able to drag a fallen tree out of the way with my Jeep or cut a bit off and do the rest at my leisure, I'd probably have a Husqvarna (or a Stihl if I liked spending money) and some Tru Fuel so I don't have to worry about maintenance.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Under an acre- electric all the way. 5 acres? Gas all the way. I still have a handful of small battery tools I use for hedges and light timing, but when you want to take out 3/4" thick black berries-nothing beats a gas brush hog. I don't recall having any fuel issues, but I switched to non-ethonol with stabil for all my stuff years ago.

Now my buddy did just by the crazy Huskavarna cordless "hedge" trimmer. That drat thing can cut through 1" saplings. Too bad with two batteries it was over $800.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Can't recommend Stihl highly enough. Yes, you're paying for the name but you're also paying for something that can handle serious abuse, has replaceable parts (that are available), and will last far longer than most other saws on the market.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

In terms of 2 stroke stuff, or anything that doesn't use a ton of fuel, it is absolutely worth getting ethanol-free gas if you can. We run race gas in chainsaws (pro saws, not homeowner) and it won't varnish for years. Original carbs and one set of fuel lines on our 660 and 440 10 years later. Same deal with our string trimmer. Bought a Shindawa T270 20 years ago (:stonk:), still on the original carb despite gas sitting in it for 6 months every year.
I think most homeowners could probably get away with running Trufuel or another one of the canned premix in things like chainsaws/hedgeclippers/etc.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I'm sorry for bringing up the Ford/Chevy debate of chainsaws (for what its worth, hardly anybody ever bought a Husqvarna or Stihl chainsaw and was disappointed).

Didn't know race gas was formulated for long shelf life though. I thought it was just higher octane without ethanol.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I know this has been posted about endlessly, but I got an M12 ratchet (non-Fuel) and it fuckin rocks.
I didn't go for the Fuel version because money, and also, I loosen the bolts first and then brap em off, so I didn't really see the need for a stronger one.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I accidentally left my M12 ratchet at the junkyard last year and have been looking to finally replace it (and the battery that was in it). Do you guys have and issues with the size of the ratchet head on the fuel version? The non-Fuel I had issues with clearance on the body of it and had to use a deep well socket or extension on it a lot.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
It doesn't fit everywhere, but that's usually due to the extra diameter of the body. Where it does fit I'mma use it. Probably my single most used tool.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I've got the 3/8 fuel and the 1/4 brushed and that feels like the perfect combo to me. It's definitely harder to fit the fuel in some places but it's such a game changer otherwise that it's not a big deal to me. Can almost always engineer a swivel socket/extension solution to the problem anyways.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I've run both Husqvarna and Stihl. Both make good saws in general. They've both made consumer-level mediocre saws too. My recommendation is to find a local dealer and get something they recommend that's just bigger than you'll think you need. Most cheapo homeowner saws are 35-40cc, and I think stepping up to a 45cc is worth it for anyone but the most casual of users. I've also got an Echo CS-400 that's my loaner/quick and dirty saw, and it's been flawless. Big poo poo gets the Husqvarna 262XP, which is a converted 261 that I find at a pawnshop for $75 with a burned piston.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

sharkytm posted:

I've run both Husqvarna and Stihl. Both make good saws in general. They've both made consumer-level mediocre saws too. My recommendation is to find a local dealer and get something they recommend that's just bigger than you'll think you need. Most cheapo homeowner saws are 35-40cc, and I think stepping up to a 45cc is worth it for anyone but the most casual of users. I've also got an Echo CS-400 that's my loaner/quick and dirty saw, and it's been flawless. Big poo poo gets the Husqvarna 262XP, which is a converted 261 that I find at a pawnshop for $75 with a burned piston.

Eh, bigger saws are not only more expensive but they're heavier too so you get worn out faster. At least until you start getting into fancy magnesium saws, in which case I agree with Ferris Bueller's thoughts about Ferrari ownership: "if you have the means..."

Down in the $200-$400 range most people already think is a fair bit of money (keep in mind one of the top ten reasons people cite for chainsaw ownership is "in case I need one"), I've maybe once in a decade had someone bring in a Husqvarna chainsaw that they couldn't start and not had it fire up in the first two pulls. Even the comparably crappy Husqvarna (and presumably Stihl) saws are really good and more than enough for the average homeowner in my opinion. Homesteaders etc can still get an 8hp saw with a 6ft bar if they need one too.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I’ve posted this before, but my favorite saw is still my MS260. It’s the entry level pro saw. If you’re lucky you can find one for $250 used. Mine has a 20” bar with a muffler mod and I love the power to weight. It’s better than any farm boss or similar home owner saw. When I need to do larger trees I have a MS 362 and MS 660, but they barely get ran once a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Hypnolobster posted:

I've got the 3/8 fuel and the 1/4 brushed and that feels like the perfect combo to me. It's definitely harder to fit the fuel in some places but it's such a game changer otherwise that it's not a big deal to me. Can almost always engineer a swivel socket/extension solution to the problem anyways.

Are they as loud as air ratchets? I always want to work on things when kids are sleeping, so that means no air tools for me.
The little clicky thing looks like the same part as air ratchets, so I am worried they will sound the same.