Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
how many frequencies could there be michael? a million?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
No honest man needs that many frequencies.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/CaseyExplosion/status/1157645756993605632

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Raere posted:

If we don't publish which frequencies we use, we are completely safe :agesilaus:
nice avatar/post combo

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

CommieGIR posted:

We post in YOSPOS, we're likely on a list already.

yeah......someone's ignore list!!!

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nomnom Cookie posted:

recommendation 1.a.2.q: rotate radio channel assignments at least once every 120 days

your frequency must be at least 8 digits long, contain no repeating characters, and at least 2 of the following groups: numbers, letters, punctuation.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

"I've written hundreds of patents in my 15 years" sure yes but have they ever been tested
Anyone who's ever worked in IP knows that patents who haven't been unsuccessfully contested in court aren't worth much. Those who pretend not to are idiots or grifters.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

evil_bunnY posted:

Anyone who's ever worked in IP knows that patents who haven't been unsuccessfully contested in court aren't worth much. Those who pretend not to are idiots or grifters.

Not worth much, but worth enough to put in a scary letter to thousands of people offering settlement for only a few hundred dollars each.

For the kind of people with business models like that a case ever going to court, no matter the outcome, is a spectacular failure because you have to actually pay lawyers when things go to court.

If you work with real valuable IP that's been created in good faith then you're correct, but there's the whole other problematic side of IP that's probably an industry unto itself.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Aug 5, 2019

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ErIog posted:

If you work with real valuable IP that's been created in good faith then you're correct, but there's the whole other problematic side of IP that's probably an industry unto itself.
Yes my posts only stands for actual IP enforcement. Trolling is a different business entirely.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evil_bunnY posted:

a couple of the patents passed to issue are finally being used in full blown litigation and I'm definitely watching to see how they fare. judging from the first round of "these are invalid because..." filings being based on interpretations almost directly contradicting what I wrote as reasons for allowing them they probably will sail through. unfortunately for the people doing to suing that interpretation also makes the patents not really apply to the product they are suing over.

I do know that several others were used to shut down several Chinese knock offs of a small inventor's successful product, but those didn't make it to the courtroom.

also in security news apparently cloudflare is dropping 8chan. I have to admit I'm pretty unclear about what the results of that will be.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

also in security news apparently cloudflare is dropping 8chan. I have to admit I'm pretty unclear about what the results of that will be.

Yeah, I think its a one off from the focus of the shooting. He seemed ready to defend them that AM before he announced a 180 move.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i thought that 8chan was on some bulletproof host, but it was just cloudfare????

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

Well now we know exactly how many mass shootings it takes for CF to drop a customer I guess.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

they are probably on bulletproof hosting, but cloudflare was handling ddos protection and whatnot. that's why I was wondering what the results would be - I don't know how robust those sorts of shady hosts are to the sort of stuff that cloudflare intercepts.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

a successful IPO in September

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

pseudorandom name posted:

ticker: CHAN on the nasdaq

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

pseudorandom name posted:

that'll happen after they rebrand to 88chan

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Vomik posted:

ticker: CHAN on the nasdaq

what? no, it'll be CLOD or FLAR or something

FauxR34L
Feb 27, 2005
Serious Business
pl

FauxR34L
Feb 27, 2005
Serious Business
pll

FauxR34L
Feb 27, 2005
Serious Business
pp
llama

pls p

FauxR34L
Feb 27, 2005
Serious Business
I’m proud that p

FauxR34L
Feb 27, 2005
Serious Business
I’m p

FauxR34L
Feb 27, 2005
Serious Business
probabllvpll

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Gehsundheit

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Shifty Pony posted:

they are probably on bulletproof hosting, but cloudflare was handling ddos protection and whatnot. that's why I was wondering what the results would be - I don't know how robust those sorts of shady hosts are to the sort of stuff that cloudflare intercepts.

i mean, the dns records were just pointing at cloudflare. before they come back up, they'll just move to another ddos protection. there may be a day or so of downtime, but before they come back up they'll (unfortunately) be behind another ddos protection provider.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

toss up between security fuckup and terrible programmers

quote:

Digital bank Monzo has urged nearly 480,000 customers to change their pins after it left banking information exposed to unauthorised staff for six months.

The bank, which is now valued at £2bn, said it usually stores pin records in a “particularly secure” part of its internal system where it can tightly control which staff can access them. But on Friday, the bank discovered that pins were also being copied on to log files, that while encrypted, could be accessed by about 110 unauthorised engineers.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

who do you think makes the security fuckup?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Two great flavors, together at last.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

secfucks are immaculate, created by the whims of a capricious god

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Terrible Programmers are Secfucks.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Cocoa Crispies posted:

users, obviously

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

infernal machines posted:

secfucks are immaculate, created by the whims of a capricious god

if the fuckups didn't exist, it would be necessary for us to create them

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

if the fuckups didn't exist, it would be necessary for us to create them

is this from a nsa challenge coin or something?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
voltaire division

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Setting up an on premises Atlassian stack. Jira does not allow database passwords with special characters :discourse:
Of course the MySQL defaults require special characters, so you have to toggle the strong password requirement off.
Pretty minor because it's on the back end and there's a lot more DB security than passwords, but still.

Jira also does not support MariaDB at all, MySQL 10.x (came out 15 months ago), or Postgres 10.x+ (came out 22 months ago)
I'm sure they'll finally support current versions...when the old ones are on the cusp of EOL.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
More like AtlASSian :xd:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
jira is some of the worst software ever written. its bad, the developers who wrote it should be ashamed of themselves, and using it is always pulling teeth.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

give them some credit, getting such poor performance out of a database when the use case is basically "list stuff linked to this key" is pretty impressive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Raere posted:

I'm sure they'll finally support current versions...when the old ones are on the cusp of EOL.

doubtful whether they will at all since they want to get rid of on-prem