Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Royal W posted:

My mom and grandmother had a lifetime of unresolved hostility and I think my grandma dying without my mom getting the closure she needed to either repair the relationship or put it behind her really hosed her up.

The thing is that these people are determined to withhold closure because it’s the only power they have and it’s not going to change even if they live to 100. Wouldn’t it be better to have more years of your life to work through it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

MasBrillante posted:

The thing is that these people are determined to withhold closure because it’s the only power they have and it’s not going to change even if they live to 100. Wouldn’t it be better to have more years of your life to work through it?

I can't come up with a response that isn't too E/N or detailed so I'll just quietly agree with you.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Royal W posted:

I can't come up with a response that isn't too E/N or detailed so I'll just quietly agree with you.

Not forcing you to share, but there’s an E/N thread that might be best to share it in (or here! Whichever you feel comfortable with)

Consider this a safe space.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe
Closure from your abuser is a myth, anyway. True closure comes from yourself, coming to terms and making peace with the past and yourself.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yeah if they were at all inclined to play out whatever closure script you're waiting on you wouldn't have a problem in the first place, and if your mental wellbeing relies on them you're still under their power and not in a headspace where it'd really help even if it did happen

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Holy gently caress, threatens suicide to get back at her own daughter? That's...wow.

Lol my mom used to do this all the time. One time I came home drunk at 22 and she pulled that card so I told her she threatened that too much and when I wanted to die I actually followed through on it and she was a coward, so she got real quiet, let me go to bed and proceeded to call the rest of our family in tears and told them I said she should kill herself. that was a fun time

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I binged this thread over the weekend and my god y'all. I thought my dad screwed me up by running off when I was 9 and pretty much vanishing from my life, but now I feel kinda lucky. (Even though it took me like 20 years to get past it.) It could have been so much worse if he'd stayed. I guess we're technically estranged because if he tried to contact me now I'd ignore it. I doubt he's posting on forums like that, but I'd bet he tells similar deluded stories.

Also like someone said earlier I'm glad my mom died before Facebook and Fox News could rot her brain.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Holy gently caress, threatens suicide to get back at her own daughter? That's...wow.

Mine did.

kakotheres
Nov 9, 2016

Do the job that is in front of you

Jeez man, is this a thing, cuz I thought it was just mine. Age 9ish I remember her walking out the door down the street to the hospital. She told me they would kill her at her request and that it was all my fault. I was pulling at her clothes, screaming and crying, and that was clearly her objective. She denies this action to this day.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

GCU Quelle Suprise posted:

Jeez man, is this a thing, cuz I thought it was just mine. Age 9ish I remember her walking out the door down the street to the hospital. She told me they would kill her at her request and that it was all my fault. I was pulling at her clothes, screaming and crying, and that was clearly her objective. She denies this action to this day.

I wasn't told directly, my aunt informed me that my mom wanted to kill herself because she failed as a parent since I'm not the kind of daughter I'm supposed to be. Fun times to know someone wants to die because you're a disappointment amd not good enough, let me tell you.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Bobbie Wickham posted:

Closure from your abuser is a myth, anyway. True closure comes from yourself, coming to terms and making peace with the past and yourself.

this is important not to just blow past. there literally is no closure.
your parents/whomever could come to you with their hat in hand and grovel for forgiveness while completely accepting responsibility and it won't make you feel any better because it doesn't change anything

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

teen witch posted:

Not forcing you to share, but there’s an E/N thread that might be best to share it in (or here! Whichever you feel comfortable with)

Consider this a safe space.

It's not really my story to tell, and I don't know enough of the details to not editorialize what happened between my mom and her mom. All I can do now is learn from them, and from how my mom treated me, and be mindful of how I'm raising my own kid so I can hopefully break the cycle. One year down, only all the rest of them to go!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

might pop this in the OP

E: holy gently caress imgur got loving wretched

MongolArcher
Jan 2, 2009

Oh good gods, I'm so sorry.

Mine would threaten to kill herself or 'just go away and leave you' and it gutted me every time. I'm so very sorry she did that. It was cruel and irresponsible and you're NOT to blame, not at all!

drat. I wish I could make you tea and give you a hug.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

MongolArcher posted:

Mine would threaten to kill herself or 'just go away and leave you' and it gutted me every time. I'm so very sorry she did that. It was cruel and irresponsible and you're NOT to blame, not at all!

Mine didn't ever threaten to leave me behind.

She did send me away though. Halfway through sixth grade, a decision was reached (that I had some coached input in) that I was just too much to handle for my mom and maybe I should try living with my dad for awhile. So I packed a suitcase, the whole rest of my life was put in boxes, and a mentally unwell 11-year old was abruptly placed in the care of a mentally unwell 40-year old who hadn't been a hands-on, active parent in nearly a decade.

While I was there, I suddenly became 'so well behaved.' Upon reflection, and reading this thread, I think I realized that I fell into the "if you have emotions and you act on them, you'll get sent away" mindset, so that's why my 'outbursts' stopped.

I was with my dad through middle school, and then it was decided (this time without my input) that I would actually be better off back with my mom. So, once again I was packed up and sent off, nominally to spend the summer at my mom's, like I had been doing. Only this time She told me when I got there "By the way, your dad thinks its best if you stay with me from now on".

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Antivehicular posted:

This is making me wonder about the Venn-diagram overlap for RP posters of "was callous about or careless with their children's possessions, don't understand why their children are still hung up on 'just toys' decades later" and "will hold grudges for years as a grown-rear end adult based on poo poo like wording on birthday cards." I suspect it is a circle.

My parents.... well, anyway ......

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Bobbie Wickham posted:

Yeah. Getting over an abusive childhood is a grieving process. The good thing about grieving is that you do it at your own pace, and you don't need anybody else's permission.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

MongolArcher posted:

Oh drat, sorry, I didn't mean she actually went through with it. She just threatened to as a means of making me feel guilty for not wanting to fight about poo poo that happened 30 years ago and not texting her enough.

SulfurMonoxideCute fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 5, 2019

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

quote:

Lately I found sheet music which is about half a century or more old. My ED teaches piano lessons (and yes, this is part of what she was given growing up…I had to mention it…Yeesh, better left unsaid than to make that comment but couldn’t help myself)….and so I put them in a bubble mailer, sent them to where I think they are living, put the return address of the post office asking them to let me know if they are returned. So far, haven’t heard they have been. One can get pretty desperate or devious in how one does things with an EC.

quote:

I neglected to mention the sheet music was from my own days of taking piano lessons and were placed in the music bench which my ED used as well as a child and which was my parent’s piano.
I have no idea what any of this was supposed to do!

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

I think the idea is to remind her daughter that mom is in fact responsible for her success in life. Narcissist mom could also just be getting rid of some trash in the most convoluted way possible. Who knows!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

trickybiscuits posted:

I have no idea what any of this was supposed to do!

1) I know and understand my daughter so much because I remember that she used to take piano lessons, (lessons that I GAVE TO her), many many years ago. This shows I am a good parent.

2) Despite all the pain she has caused me I want my daughter to be happy, so I am sending her something I know she would like, (Even after they are adults, all kids like exactly the same stuff they were told to like as kids.)

3) I am checking up on whether or not it gets returned/delivered because in truth I neither know or care about my daughter, and what I really want to do is make it about me and MY unasked for, invasive gesture.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

boar guy posted:

this is important not to just blow past. there literally is no closure.
your parents/whomever could come to you with their hat in hand and grovel for forgiveness while completely accepting responsibility and it won't make you feel any better because it doesn't change anything

At least I would get the satisfaction of calling her an awful hosed up person who failed me completely and made me hosed up too. Some chance of closure is better than none at all ya know?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Captain Rufus posted:

At least I would get the satisfaction of calling her an awful hosed up person who failed me completely and made me hosed up too. Some chance of closure is better than none at all ya know?

Trust me, you don't get any satisfaction.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Hi All,
I want to bump up this thread for two reasons… One is because it is so powerful and needs reading/rereading and the other is because it relates to a question.
So realizing that my own counsel has not been particularly helpful, I, too, reached out to a counselor today. I would like some feed back from you wise people.
This gal (thirty something… we live in a very small town and finding counselors that you are not connected to in some way is like finding a needle in a haystack) told me that her approach to the situation would be to have me write a letter of accountability, to put in writing all of the things that I wish I had done differently, that I am accountable for, that could have contributed to the estrangement. I wanted to say ,”Honey, the way this estrangement has made me feel about myself, you’d need a pick up truck full of paper for that letter). Send it or not she said. I told her that I think I am pretty cognizant of my sh*t and that I am not sure what purpose this would serve. She maintained that in saying things aloud to someone else there is release, that it is therapeutic. I’m thinking it will be more tears and pain, except this time in public… I am so horrified by this whole situation and feel so guilty I have not been able to speak of it to anyone except my other children (BIG mistake) and my husband.
What do you guys think? Anyone try this approach?

She means connected to as in she already sought and dismissed their services...

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I’m pretty cognizant of my poo poo as I dismiss this paid professional’s advice in favor of the random observations of an internet message board full of people whose own children won’t speak to them.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Hmmmmm...
https://youtu.be/3iFxUCSTfRU

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014
The counselor wanted me to reflect upon my actions and acknowledge concrete things I did wrong, but that makes me uncomfortable and sad, so I don't want to. Internet people, please tell me that it's useless to do that, so I don't have to do any hard work or feel bad.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This woman actually posted a couple times years ago things to the effect of “I think I need to take some responsibility.” Let’s see what happened!

OP

quote:

Sheri,
I am in the process of writing a letter of accountabiity, mostly for me. I don’t think these EC end up the way they are purely by genetics or by accident. I am writing it more as therapy for me. Whether it gets mailed or not remains to be seen.
Can you give us a little more info? Who are the “experts”? What will happen with these letters? Will they be made public? What is involved in this “event”?
Thanks.

quote:

Rainbow, smart woman you are not to bash.

missmarkleygirl, The event will be a letter writing expert to help. She has a book on the subject of writing all sorts of personal and heartfelt letters, plus she’s a very nice woman. It’s just feedback, maybe some perspective taking. Nothing earth shattering, but helpful. And nobody saying this is how it’s done. The event will not be live, but will be in article form, incorporating a few letters and offering some thoughts about wording, the intentions of the letter, etc. I think it will be useful to those who want to write a letter–whether it’s one they’ll leave, or one they’ll send or whatever.

Sheri McGregor

OP again

quote:

TeburyCastle,
I completely understand, which is why I said I think I owe an apology to those who have been here, done this. I didn’t mean to suggest that this was the “right” thing for anyone to do… I was just responding to Sheri’s comment about letter writing because this is the right thing for me at this stage of our estrangement. I am so sorry if I offended you.
My daughter has also slammed the door on me, leaving me to surmise what the heck went wrong. I too was a good and loving mother. I have taught third grade for over three decades… I know I was a good parent. But something went wrong , something within our family unit. Not from MY perspective, but obviously from hers. I have nothing to lose by trying to see things from her perspective… .(if I could only figure out what that is!). I will no longer grovel, which I have been doing to no avail for the past year and a half, no more pleading and begging….Just an attempt to understand her childhood from her perspective. For me, I think this is part of being able to let go because I honestly have no expectation that it will make any difference to her. But it will to me. I can go to my grave knowing I tried to stand in her shoes and understand HER reality to help her heal and, maybe in the end, to help me forgive her for the excruciating pain she has caused.

Oh yeah, the Grand High Witch offers writing coaching events and even reads and edits letters to the estranged children. So presumably some people try to be a little human, and she line edits that right out:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

MasBrillante posted:

Oh yeah, the Grand High Witch offers writing coaching events and even reads and edits letters to the estranged children. So presumably some people try to be a little human, and she line edits that right out:

Hey leave us witches out of it! We try and admit our faults, unlike these monsters.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

teen witch posted:

Hey leave us witches out of it! We try and admit our faults, unlike these monsters.

I wasn’t just talking about any witch; I was talking about this one!

But my apologies I shan’t slander anymore witches because of this childhood nightmare.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Be coached just how you coached your kids!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My dad had a huge meltdown when I decided to move 3000 miles away. After I "got too big" for physical abuse, it was mental abuse and guilt tripping for my entire childhood and adolescence.

I find the complete lack of empathy I've developed gives me extreme resolve when my two year old is having a fit, especially in public. Child, you haven't seen poo poo. You can't outlast me. My wife can't stand my zen disregard of what strangers might think of the sight. Give in to my patience, young grasshopper.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

MasBrillante posted:

I wasn’t just talking about any witch; I was talking about this one!

But my apologies I shan’t slander anymore witches because of this childhood nightmare.

You leave the blessed names of Frank Oz, Anjelica Houston and Roald Dahl, even if he hated it, out of your mortal mouth!

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I want to go in that forum and suggest these people write a letter to their child's father-in-law explaining how his daughter is a horrible person who stole their son away.

You know, like my mother.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

BrigadierSensible posted:

1) I know and understand my daughter so much because I remember that she used to take piano lessons, (lessons that I GAVE TO her), many many years ago. This shows I am a good parent.

2) Despite all the pain she has caused me I want my daughter to be happy, so I am sending her something I know she would like, (Even after they are adults, all kids like exactly the same stuff they were told to like as kids.)

3) I am checking up on whether or not it gets returned/delivered because in truth I neither know or care about my daughter, and what I really want to do is make it about me and MY unasked for, invasive gesture.
That makes no sense and is therefore probably correct, thank you.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

MasBrillante posted:

This might help clarify some things. Or maybe make them more confusing, I don’t know:

https://twitter.com/stefanmolyneux/status/1157076342476857344?s=21

My plan, for whenever my balls dry up and I'm riding out into the twilight with whatever vaporous hormones are donating motivation to do anything, is play me some god drat video games. I have a personal goal of not falling behind the technology curve when I've eventually got grandkids to school in SoulCalibur 18 or whatever's out in that distant decade.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
if i knew my mother was honestly, sincerely remorseful for the things she's done, and legit wanted to make amends, i would hear her out. even after everything i've described. but that's not the reality of the situation, and there's no way i could know she was on the level with any real certainty. god knows she's done the "make up, then gradually increase the awfulness until everything snaps again" thing too many times.

that probably makes me a sap. i don't think anyone really wants to lose their parents, which makes estrangement that much more significant, and sad

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Someone who spends 18+ years doing the same wrong things day in day out without realising or questioning it is not going to come to a big revelation. That is who they are.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

vortmax posted:

I binged this thread over the weekend and my god y'all. I thought my dad screwed me up by running off when I was 9 and pretty much vanishing from my life, but now I feel kinda lucky. (Even though it took me like 20 years to get past it.) It could have been so much worse if he'd stayed. I guess we're technically estranged because if he tried to contact me now I'd ignore it. I doubt he's posting on forums like that, but I'd bet he tells similar deluded stories.

Also like someone said earlier I'm glad my mom died before Facebook and Fox News could rot her brain.

Yeah it can always have been worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Someone who spends 18+ years doing the same wrong things day in day out without realising or questioning it is not going to come to a big revelation. That is who they are.

yeah. exactly