Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Boywhiz88 posted:

I’ve never seen Hugo although I got it free from iTunes awhile back. I’ve read that it’s Scorcese’s actual last good movie,

Silence was a very good movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

Also Wolf Of Wall Street

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The scene where you find out how Leo actually gets home in Wolf of Wall Street is just so good. My only problem with the movie was it took me literally years to find a day where I felt ‘right, I have 3 hours where I know I won’t get distracted’ in order to watch it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Robert Harris on HTF put up an early review of the new Blu-ray of Sweet Charity, saying the new 4K restoration by Universal and Kino Lorber is pretty much flawless.

For those unfamiliar with the film, it's Bob Fosse's debut feature and based on Fellini's Nights of Cabiria and is a pretty amazing film. Kino is even including both the full roadshow cut and an alternate "happy ending" version.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Wolf of Wall Street is one of the best films of the decade

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Unmature posted:

Wolf of Wall Street is one of the best films of the decade

I'll even go as far as to say that it's good enough to stand up to his older movies.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It's 3 hours of really awful people, and it's exhausting. When I saw it in the theater a power surge took out the projector 10 minutes before the end. No way was I sitting through that again. They gave us the option of leaving and getting a voucher or staying for 47 Ronin. You'll never guess what we did.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Silence was one of the few movies where I saw people walk out of.

It was during the early part, where there was a lot of preaching and talk of God. I like to imagine that these people were upset that a movie about priests had religious content in it. But they missed out on something that's fantastic that I honestly need to get around to seeing again.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Silence was criminally ignored. Barely any marketing, and doa during awards season. Most people I talked to didn't know Scorsese had a release that year, and it's one of his best. One of the only serious, quality films about God released in a long time.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

It's 3 hours of really awful people, and it's exhausting. When I saw it in the theater a power surge took out the projector 10 minutes before the end. No way was I sitting through that again. They gave us the option of leaving and getting a voucher or staying for 47 Ronin. You'll never guess what we did.

There was a point in the movie where I just became horrified. Henry Hill in Goodfellas is more sympathetic than Jordan Belfort in Wolf of Wall Street. The fact that some people walked out of the theater thinking that Belfort is cool and a role model is disturbing in a way that I can't put into words.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CPL593H posted:

There was a point in the movie where I just became horrified. Henry Hill in Goodfellas is more sympathetic than Jordan Belfort in Wolf of Wall Street. The fact that some people walked out of the theater thinking that Belfort is cool and a role model is disturbing in a way that I can't put into words.
Part of the problem is that Scorsese let him be in on the joke even though he's the same piece of poo poo he always was.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Casimir Radon posted:

Part of the problem is that Scorsese let him be in on the joke even though he's the same piece of poo poo he always was.

I get the distinct impression Scorsese doesn't think what Belfort did was that bad. The movie has a victimless-crime angle to it.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Did y'all watch the same movie?
You expect cosmic justice from a film, Wolf of Wall Street intends to make you angry that Bellfort never gets his comeuppance. That's the entire point.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Lizard Combatant posted:

Did y'all watch the same movie?
You expect cosmic justice from a film, Wolf of Wall Street intends to make you angry that Bellfort never gets his comeuppance. That's the entire point.
He got to cameo in the movie...

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Casimir Radon posted:

He got to cameo in the movie...

If the film didn't convince you he'd sign off on anything for a pay cheque I don't know what will. Look at that scene again, what is happening in it?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

TheScott2K posted:

I get the distinct impression Scorsese doesn't think what Belfort did was that bad. The movie has a victimless-crime angle to it.

Yeah, this was my issue w Wolf. clearly if you’re not a sociopath, you’ll recognize that this dood is scum. But Scorsese makes it so stylized and cool and never really gives him a fall.

In Goodfellas, Henry Hill is clearly worse off at the end of the movie. Wolf shows Belfort making a comeback despite everything.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Boywhiz88 posted:

Yeah, this was my issue w Wolf. clearly if you’re not a sociopath, you’ll recognize that this dood is scum. But Scorsese makes it so stylized and cool and never really gives him a fall.

In Goodfellas, Henry Hill is clearly worse off at the end of the movie. Wolf shows Belfort making a comeback despite everything.

And? I mean, he did make a comeback. Life is not ruled by justice

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Paramount is releasing It's a Wonderful Life on UHD 10/29. Even has HDR and a few 4K featurettes, including a piece on the new restoration. According to their press release, 90% of the film was restored from the 35mm nitrate camera negative, with the remainder from 35mm nitrate fine-grain positives. Really curious to how it's going to look since I'd imagine B&W nitrate in 4K HDR is going to have some incredible black levels.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Boywhiz88 posted:

A friend of mine worked at Stratton Oakmont during the era depicted in The Wolf of Wall Street, and she said the movie wasn't even a tenth as crazy as the firm was in real life.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
My main reaction to Wolf of Wall Street was “nobody should be this rich.” It’s a vomitous kinda feel, the guy has to keep chasing more absurd extremes to the point that he looks pathetic.* It’s like a Fellini film.

*Sure some people didn’t see it that way but some people saw Full Metal Jacket and were inspired to join the military.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

My main reaction to Wolf of Wall Street was “nobody should be this rich.” It’s a vomitous kinda feel, the guy has to keep chasing more absurd extremes to the point that he looks pathetic.* It’s like a Fellini film.

*Sure some people didn’t see it that way but some people saw Full Metal Jacket and were inspired to join the military.

I know someone who not only joined the military but specifically chose the Marines right out of high school because of Full Metal Jacket. At the height of the Iraq war.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

Paramount is releasing It's a Wonderful Life on UHD 10/29. Even has HDR and a few 4K featurettes, including a piece on the new restoration. According to their press release, 90% of the film was restored from the 35mm nitrate camera negative, with the remainder from 35mm nitrate fine-grain positives. Really curious to how it's going to look since I'd imagine B&W nitrate in 4K HDR is going to have some incredible black levels.

Yea I'll probably buy it just for the novelty of seeing a black and white film from that time period in 4k/HDR. Should be interesting.

Looks like Scarface and American Gangster UHDs were just announced as well. I wonder what it is behind the scenes that has led to so many Ridley Scott films getting UHD releases? Not that I'm complaining.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Big name director and he’s probably been willing to help make it happen.

I’m down for both of those UHDs. Scarface is kind of whatever to me but I love it’s soundtrack and the first part of the movie is p enjoyable. American Gangster is a go-to “put this movie on while I do other tasks.” There are elements of that movie that are so good and others that are just WTF.

Namely, T.I. Who let him act???

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Boywhiz88 posted:

I’m down for both of those UHDs. Scarface is kind of whatever to me but I love it’s soundtrack and the first part of the movie is p enjoyable. American Gangster is a go-to “put this movie on while I do other tasks.” There are elements of that movie that are so good and others that are just WTF.

American Gangster and Blow are a great "why isn't this better?" double feature

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

American Gangster and Blow are a great "why isn't this better?" double feature

My feeling on American Gangster(I haven't seen it in years) was that it just didn't have enough of an actual story to justify itself. Frank Lucas is a compelling character and of course Denzel put in a strong performance but it's a movie where things kinda just happen and then some more things happen and then it ends. There wasn't much of a discernible beginning, middle, and end, just a bunch of scenes that probably could've been edited together in any order without effecting the overall experience all that much.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boywhiz88 posted:

They're releasing the wrong DePalma film on UHD.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

They're releasing the wrong DePalma film on UHD.

To be fair, unless they redid all the opticals, 4K would really look rough. A quarter of the film is third generation with a few bits being fifth gen.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

To be fair, unless they redid all the opticals, 4K would really look rough. A quarter of the film is third generation with a few bits being fifth gen.

I figured this wouldn't benefit from something like that, I just wanted to mention Phantom of the Paradise. I have that French blu-ray of it and it looks really nice but I figured that is the best it will get. And yes the superimposed Death Records logo over all the stuff that said Swan Song is very noticable.

edit: ACKSHULLY. Does anyone know how the Shout Factory release compares to the French region free blu-ray?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

I figured this wouldn't benefit from something like that, I just wanted to mention Phantom of the Paradise. I have that French blu-ray of it and it looks really nice but I figured that is the best it will get. And yes the superimposed Death Records logo over all the stuff that said Swan Song is very noticable.

edit: ACKSHULLY. Does anyone know how the Shout Factory release compares to the French region free blu-ray?

I only have the Shout! edition, but I read that it's the same transfer as Arrow's except they did some additional color correction.

All the opticals look way better than they have any right to be. Only parts that look roughest are the bathtub scene (which is mostly fifth generation because it not only used compositing originally, it had to be optically printed AGAIN to remove the logos) and a few of the zoomed shots like Swan's press conference. Reliance Mediaworks did the remastering and the fact the opticals don't look like a grainy mess or waxy is pretty impressive, but you can definitely tell there's a lower image quality. Everything else looks fantastic.

Shout's edition does have a reel of outtakes that seems to include pre-optical shots.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
One of my favorite rabbit holes of late is blocks of old commercials on YouTube, and I found this gem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPOSYV8mgoA&t=1247s
(should start at 20:47)

Out of curiosity, I punched $29.95 into an inflation calculator and that's about $70 in 2019 :tenbux:

Now I don't feel bad about spending that much on a UHD

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Y’all like Abbot and Costello?

• One Night In The Tropics (1940)

• Buck Privates (1941)

• In The Navy (1941)

• Hold That Ghost (1941)

• Keep 'Em Flying (1941)

• Ride 'Em Cowboy (1942)

• Pardon My Sarong (1942)

• Who Done It? (1942)

• It Ain't Hay (1943)

• Hit The Ice (1943)

• In Society (1944)

• Here Come The Co-Eds (1945)

• The Naughty Nineties (1944)

• Little Giant (1946)

• The Time Of Their Lives (1946)

• Buck Privates Come Home (1947)

• The Wistful Widow Of Wagon Gap (1947)

• Abbott And Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)

• Mexican Hayride (1948)

• Abbott And Costello Meet The Killer, Boris Karloff (1949)

• Abbott And Costello In The Foreign Legion (1950)

• Abbott And Costello Meet The Invisible Man (1951)

• Comin' Round The Mountain (1951)

• Lost In Alaska (1952)

• Abbott And Costello Go To Mars (1953)

• Abbott And Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde (1953)

• Abbott And Costello Meet The Keystone Kops (1955)

• Abbott And Costello Meet The Mummy (1955)

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Iron Crowned posted:

One of my favorite rabbit holes of late is blocks of old commercials on YouTube, and I found this gem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPOSYV8mgoA&t=1247s
(should start at 20:47)

Out of curiosity, I punched $29.95 into an inflation calculator and that's about $70 in 2019 :tenbux:

Now I don't feel bad about spending that much on a UHD

I think you mean 23:18? Unless somehow a Pontiac is somehow relevant to this thread, in which case I'm the one looking a fool.

It's funny to see one of the central, eye catching movies being Starman (which certainly deserves love, it's just odd for how forgotten it became), but it's cool that Stop Making Sense gets the same treatment (which, instead, is still appreciated exactly how much it deserves to be).
But jesus America, you couldn't just keep blackface off screen for 2 seconds, could you?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is there an Abbot and Costello set with just the ones where they meet monsters?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

DVD only, but yeah.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZR3W3M8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_p3btDbQSFPBRN

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

The Universal Monsters 30-film Blu set has all the meet the monster movies. Well worth it since it has the complete Dracula, Frankenstein, Mummy, Invisible Man, Wolfman, and Creature series plus the ‘43 Phantom and the A&C movies. Lots from 4K restorations

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I think you mean 23:18? Unless somehow a Pontiac is somehow relevant to this thread, in which case I'm the one looking a fool.

It's funny to see one of the central, eye catching movies being Starman (which certainly deserves love, it's just odd for how forgotten it became), but it's cool that Stop Making Sense gets the same treatment (which, instead, is still appreciated exactly how much it deserves to be).
But jesus America, you couldn't just keep blackface off screen for 2 seconds, could you?

But the Jolson story! A movie I never knew existed.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

The LA Drafthouse has a video store attached to it, and I'm thinking of getting an external DVD player for my laptop so I can watch some movies. Any tips?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Abbey Road 50th Anniversary Edition detailed:
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=320332

Biggest news is that it includes a Dolby Atmos mix on the Blu-ray disc (in addition to 96kHz/24-bit mixes in LPCM stereo and DTS-HD MA 5.1)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

And still they do not release the Let It Be movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

And still they do not release the Let It Be movie.

Next year - Peter Jackson is doing a new doc using all the unused footage and the original film will be included as well.