Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Oseram settlements will also comment on her outfits.

Then you have the people in Meridian who will call her a savage seemingly regardless of what she wears.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 18:24 on Aug 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

bony tony posted:

She's a Rogue, she can't wear heavy armor.

Don't you mean Rouge?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Alhazred posted:

Then you have the people in Meridian who will call her a savage seemingly regardless og what she wears.

"First I was The Outcast and now I am The Savage :sigh: "

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Der Kyhe posted:

I'm sorry but this the most stupidest "hearth, love and friendship conquers all" bullshit I have ever read.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmXQvMkamhQ

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've been playing the original Resident Evil 2 and I like how droll (possibly inadvertently) it can be.

Completely trashed room, desks turned over, blood on the walls, corpses everywhere: Leon/Claire's comment: "Someone made a mess here..."

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Shadow of the Tomb Raider has separate difficulty levels for combat, puzzles and exploration

Combat obviously determines how tough enemies are to kill and how much damage you can take, plus health regen, how common ammo drops, how easy it is to escape enemies once spotted etc.

Puzzles determines whether or not puzzle elements get highlighted when you do the special vision mode, adjusts how long it takes for Lara to start dropping hints about what to do (and how much of a hint you get) and how long you get when part of the puzzle requires timing (like turning a crank and then running over to shoot something).

Exploration changes how obvious the usual white splotches to indicate where you can climb (like Horizon: Zero Dawn) are and how difficult QTEs are when you lose your grip. Hardest difficulty also turns off checkpoint saving so you have to find a campfire, which requires resources to light.

It's cool because I am bad at games and normally put everything on easy the first time I play, but in this case it's cool that I can still make the exploration and puzzles feel not totally on-rails while still having fun, easy combat where I can stalk around with a bow and headshot fools all day.

More games should do this. System Shock did it 25 years ago and so few games have this option.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Dishonored 2 has no official difficulty trophies. You can change difficulty at any time and tweak it to a fine degree: make enemies more or less perceptive, make your mana regenerate faster, how much damage you take, how hidden you are when leaning. The true hard-mode achievement of the game is refusing to accept any superpowers at the start, and unlike the previous game you don't even get the basic teleport.

Every loving stealth game after this one should have the stat screen that charts all your kills and times compromised and can be consulted at any time. Deus Ex is kinda dead since the last game was meddled with and the developers have been strong-armed into making a lovely Avengers tie-in, but if it comes back and with that loving "Foxiest of the Hounds" No-Alarm trophy it better have a stat screen. It's galling to have a trophy for a game 20 hours long with no track your progress.

One thing Dishonored 2 does better than the previous game is that you can use your lethal weaponry as a pacifist. There are frequent bloodflies nest to destroy, barricades to blown up, and clockwork soldiers to electrocuted.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I really hope they make a dishonored 3 at some point, it's an amazing series and the only stealth game I truly enjoyed. The lore is also fascinating and the death of the outsider add on was great for exploring some of the more mysterious stuff. The gimmicks some level had, such as the mansion level in dishonored 2, were also fun as hell .

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN9QKz4NZt0&t=1205s

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I'm finally playing through Battletech by Harebrained Schemes and I love that there's an achievement for carrying out a Highlander Burial (a fan term for dropping a 90-ton assault mech called a Highlander onto a light mech).

Also whoever designed the sound effect for one-shotting an enemy's cockpit needs a raise because it's incredibly satisfying.

I'm not enjoying how the game occasionally decides to just spawn enemy reinforcements directly on top of me but this isn't the thread for that.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Power of friendship, eh? (if you actually watch this, you're an idiot, because it's bad)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nekR9CvgNM

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Polaron posted:

I'm finally playing through Battletech by Harebrained Schemes and I love that there's an achievement for carrying out a Highlander Burial (a fan term for dropping a 90-ton assault mech called a Highlander onto a light mech).

Also whoever designed the sound effect for one-shotting an enemy's cockpit needs a raise because it's incredibly satisfying.

I'm not enjoying how the game occasionally decides to just spawn enemy reinforcements directly on top of me but this isn't the thread for that.

Yeah, the game is annoyingly fond of "Oh hey, here's an entire new fresh lance for you to fight, spawning in your back and/or directly next to the objective you're supposed to guard". Worst instance I can recall was a mission along the lines of "hunt the scout lance" at medium difficulty. I figured that since I was up against a scout lance, I probably ought to bring a mix of lights and mediums to keep up with them. Which was a good idea up until the exact moment a full heavy lance spawned in next to me. I guess the game expects you to just run away in those situations, but that's not much help when at least one of your mechs just gets annihilated in the opening salvo.

That said, those times when you turn a would-be ambush right around by just walking up to those fucks and punching the head right off of their best mech tend to more than make up for it. :allears:

Perestroika has a new favorite as of 14:09 on Aug 5, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Perestroika posted:

That said, those times when you turn a would-be ambush right around by just walking up to those fucks and punching the head right off of their best mech tend to more than make up for it. :allears:

I'm just picturing a Light Mech just gleefully standing and waiting, fist raised to the sky, for a Heavy Mech to finish landing in front of them so the bold little fucker can smash its head off.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Check the payout/salvage of the mission. If it looks unusually high for its rating, then you can probably expect reinforcements.

Speaking of Battletech, I love the voice acting for the mechwarriors you hire. They all sound like complete dorks, and it adds so much to their character even though most of them are just generated. Glitch, one of the preset generated mechwarriors in the campaign mode, is the best character in the game.

Battletech also has a bunch of random events that can happen to you and your crew, and one of them is you and your officers playing the actual tabletop game and arguing about the mechanics. :allears:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, the game is annoyingly fond of "Oh hey, here's an entire new fresh lance for you to fight, spawning in your back and/or directly next to the objective you're supposed to guard". Worst instance I can recall was a mission along the lines of "hunt the scout lance" at medium difficulty. I figured that since I was up against a scout lance, I probably ought to bring a mix of lights and mediums to keep up with them. Which was a good idea up until the exact moment a full heavy lance spawned in next to me. I guess the game expects you to just run away in those situations, but that's not much help when at least one of your mechs just gets annihilated in the opening salvo.

I had an assault lance (there was at the very least a Zeus and a Demolisher) spawn into my rear arc within weapons range in the middle of me dealing with a convoy guarded by a mixed heavy/assault lance. The evac zone was through the reinforcements.

I just quit out of the game because gently caress dealing with that nonsense after the convoy alone was three Demolishers and an SRM carrier.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm just picturing a Light Mech just gleefully standing and waiting, fist raised to the sky, for a Heavy Mech to finish landing in front of them so the bold little fucker can smash its head off.

One of my favorite moments in the tabletop game was taking a severely damaged Spider that was barely holding together and doing a Death from Above against an Awesome that was beat up but still had all its parts. The Spider had no arms, was missing its left torso, and basically had no armor left (as if Spiders come with armor in the first place). The roll was a pretty long one but I was like gently caress it, that Spider is practically useless anyway. Might as well go for it. Well, it hit and the Awesome was standing by a hill. The Death from Above would have shoved it into the hill but you can't shove things up hills with that ability. The mech that got hit just dies.

The other fun thing in the rules is that if a mech kicks a mech that is one height level down the kick goes into the upper half of the mech instead of the legs. I may or may not have developed a habit of bouncing light mechs at hills to kick heavier mechs right in their big, stupid loving faces. While everybody always obsesses over assault mechs like the Atlas there's so much dirty poo poo you can do to them with tiny mechs.

Yes, the Spider is my favorite mech. Why do you ask?

Battletech the board game just has so many little details that you know came about because during play testing somebody was like "well let's see, what happens if...well can I just jump on another mech?"

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 14:37 on Aug 5, 2019

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!

FreshFeesh posted:

I'm about 200 pages late for Metal Gar Solid V chat, but I've really been enjoying the gameplay since picking it up last month and today noticed a nice little touch that I appreciated.

Quiet, the sniper buddy you can take with you on missions, is typically hidden up on high vantage points or on faraway hills, providing cover fire for when a mission goes pear-shaped. That means she's rarely near you, particularly when looking down the sights of her rifle. Carrying a wounded prisoner through the jungle toward the escape chopper, I noticed that she would faithfully lower her rifle if I stood in her line of fire.

Just a little tiny thing that I could easily imagine having been ignored or skipped in most games, but I appreciated here.

My favorite part of MGSV was beating the poo poo out of the four soldiers that are always there to greet you on the helipad when you return to base before doing whatever I went there to do.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Clam Chowdown posted:

My favorite part of MGSV was beating the poo poo out of the four soldiers that are always there to greet you on the helipad when you return to base before doing whatever I went there to do.

Thank you, Boss!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Necrothatcher posted:

I've been playing the original Resident Evil 2 and I like how droll (possibly inadvertently) it can be.

Completely trashed room, desks turned over, blood on the walls, corpses everywhere: Leon/Claire's comment: "Someone made a mess here..."

*Licker drops from the ceiling*

Leon: "Oh, boy."

*Man with large chunk bitten out of his bicep*

"Guy's a maniac, why'd hebiteme"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've been playing Eternal Ring on the PS2 and like how the dragons are all very different. The one in the intro is the most straightforward, just flying by and burning the boat that brings you, the main baddie Dragon, who may be the same one I don't know, can possess people and is hording the title treasure, the dragon in the water shrine is helping you on your quest and the one sleeping in the Limestone Cave just doesn't give a gently caress. I like the variety.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

Claire Redfield examining a gore-soaked desk: "Nothing unusual here."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Technically correct, in the RE universe.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Old School RuneScape is on mobile, and skill grinding/combat is just passive enough that it's the perfect game for when I'm hanging out with my gf on the couch watching her play Zelda.

I also like that while skill leveling can be repetitive, the quests are all unique (if occasionally aggravating) adventures and you're never just collecting bear asses. It's a charming, janky little MMO and I think I enjoy it now more than I did in the early 2000s.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
My favourite RE2 quip is Claire exasperatedly exclaiming "What's wrong with you?" as walking corpses shamble towards her.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Morpheus posted:

My favourite RE2 quip is Claire exasperatedly exclaiming "What's wrong with you?" as walking corpses shamble towards her.

What about Leon:

*shoots what looks like a bloody, limping, unarmed person* That was a clean shot, why didn't it do anything?

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
There's quite a few in RE4 too.

Leon examining a cabinet full of freshly decapitated and skinned human heads:

"Man, that's not good."

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Olaf The Stout posted:

There's quite a few in RE4 too.

Leon examining a cabinet full of freshly decapitated and skinned human heads:

"Man, that's not good."

Makes sense, given that he's been through an entire city taken over and destroyed by zombies. A European village? Eh, old hat by now for him.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Skeleton War 2020
Accidentally posted this in the RE thread

SkeletonHero posted:

I forget exactly when it happens, but in RE6 either a tank or the Ustanak or something explodes onto the scene, and Jake mutters “Dammit!” with all the emotion and urgency of a man who just locked his keys in his car, and it never fails to get a chuckle out of me.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
They released Metal Wolf Chaos on Steam.

One of the main tags in the Steam store is just “America.” :911:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Final Fantasy 14 has a series of dungeons which are a huge FF3 reference and it’s great. One of the minibosses is a Xande Clone that emerges from a treasure chest.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

In Shadow Warrior 2, Wang holds most weapons in the usual FPS manner of the lower right corner. But if you equip the Sawed-Off Shotgun, he'll hold in the bottom center of the screen DooM-style.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Similarly the very first thing I did in Doom 2016 was turn on the feature that put all the guns at the center of the screen.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I always loved the smiling face doomguy gets when you pick up a bigger weapon down at the bottom of the screen.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
De5il May Cry: You can hold down L3 and the camera will focus on the right direction you should go to proceed with the mission. This is incredibly useful because you can go to all the wrong directions first to get all the good stuff before carrying on with the story.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Samuringa posted:

De5il May Cry: You can hold down L3 and the camera will focus on the right direction you should go to proceed with the mission. This is incredibly useful because you can go to all the wrong directions first to get all the good stuff before carrying on with the story.

Every game needs this. Dead Space had it too and it was such a good feature.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Every game needs this. Dead Space had it too and it was such a good feature.

Yeah, it was really useful. IIRC, Dead Space 2 had it so you could follow a trail to benches and save points, I think? Actually, given it's talent for misdirection and weird things, I'm surprised it didn't try and get you to follow a dud direction at least a couple of times.

Also, the rest of the UI and HUD was also great, with your inventory displayed as an in-universe hologram in front of Isaac's face, and your health bar as an indicator on your suit.

tight aspirations has a new favorite as of 14:02 on Aug 7, 2019

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

tight aspirations posted:

Yeah, it was really useful. IIRC, Dead Space 2 had it so you could follow a trail to benches and save points, I think? Actually, given it's talent for misdirection and weird things, I'm surprised it didn't try and get you to follow a dud direction at least a couple of times.

Also, the rest of the UI and HUD was also great, with your inventory displayed as an in-universe hologram in front of Isaac's face, and your health bar as an indicator on your suit.

I am a huge fan of diegetic UI in games, especially if the interface element is out-and-out Video Game but is present for a good reason.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's cool how Horizon Zero Dawn's own version of survival witcher eagle vision is literally the holographic overlay Aloy sees with her focus.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I did like how they point out very early on that only Aloy can see what the focus produces, but it almost never comes up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

It's funny when you think that, given Aloy has had the focus for her entire life, she's probably kind of a lovely tracker without it.