Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Howdy!

I'm looking for more mellow, hypnotic films. Examples of films that I've seen that fit that profile: Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives, Last Year at Marienbad, Kurosawa's Dreams, Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring, Has's The Saragossa Manuscript, and Felini's 8&1/2. I guess I'll elaborate by stating what I'm not looking for: I love David Lynch, Nicholas Windig Refin, and Panos Cosmatos for their hypnotic cinematography, but I'd like something like that where the content isn't so dark. I guess in a nutshell: recommend me a movie that feels like a dream, but not a nightmare.

Thank you very much!

magic cactus fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Have you seen any Rivette? (You may have, if you’re familiar enough with Marienbad to cite it here.) His stuff isn’t exactly “out there” content-wise, but it’s definitely slow-moving and hypnotic in its own way. If you can find a copy of Cohen’s Blu-Ray of La Belle Noiseuse that might be a good starting point.

EDIT: The Story of Marie and Julien might also be a good one in terms of mood. It’s a little more explicitly dreamlike.

oneforthevine fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 6, 2019

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

oneforthevine posted:

Have you seen any Rivette? (You may have, if you’re familiar enough with Marienbad to cite it here.) His stuff isn’t exactly “out there” content-wise, but it’s definitely slow-moving and hypnotic in its own way. If you can find a copy of Cohen’s Blu-Ray of La Belle Noiseuse that might be a good starting point.

EDIT: The Story of Marie and Julien might also be a good one in terms of mood. It’s a little more explicitly dreamlike.

I'm not familiar with Rivette at all actually. Thanks a bunch for the recommendations, I'll look into it post haste.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I’m looking for some good seafaring movies. I rewatched Master and Commander last night and it’s still great. Submarine movies are cool too, but mainly looking for stuff in the vein of Master and Commander.

Horatio Hornblower has a number of very worthwhile adaptations that should do the trick.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
Watch more of Apichatpong Weerasethakul if you can
Most things by Raul Ruiz (Manoel on the Island of Marvels, On Top of the Whale, Three Crowns of the Sailor, City of Pirates, etc.)
Limite
Jean Cocteau movies
Jean Rollin's
The short movies of Nobuhiko Obayashi
Sergei Parajanov (Colour of Pomegranates, Ashik Kerib, Shadows of Our Forgotten Ancestors)
Bi Gan (Kaili Blues, Long Days Journey into Night)
Czech/Slovak stuff like Valerie and her Week of Wonders, Morgiana, Fruit of Paradise, Birds Orphans Fools, Szinbad
Shuji Terayama (Pastoral: to Die in the Country, Grass Labyrinth, Farewell to the Ark, etc.)
Naomi Kawase (Suzaku, Shara)
Marguerite Duras (India Song, Agatha and the Limitless Readings, L’Homme Atlantique)
Aleksandr Sokurov's
A bunch of surrealist silent French movies (The Seashell and the Clergyman, Menilmontant, Autumn Mists, Entr’acte, etc.)
Man Follows Birds
Cafe Noir
A Midsummer's Fantasia
Romance Joe
Serail
Cuadecuc, Vampir
a bunch

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

El Graplurado posted:

Seconding this

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I’m looking for some good seafaring movies. I rewatched Master and Commander last night and it’s still great. Submarine movies are cool too, but mainly looking for stuff in the vein of Master and Commander.

While not in the same vein as M&C, Deep Water is an amazing documentary.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

magic cactus posted:

Howdy!

I'm looking for more mellow, hypnotic films. Examples of films that I've seen that fit that profile: Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives, Last Year at Marienbad, Kurosawa's Dreams, Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring, Has's The Saragossa Manuscript, and Felini's 8&1/2. I guess I'll elaborate by stating what I'm not looking for: I love David Lynch, Nicholas Windig Refin, and Panos Cosmatos for their hypnotic cinematography, but I'd like something like that where the content isn't so dark. I guess in a nutshell: recommend me a movie that feels like a dream, but not a nightmare.

Thank you very much!

So many come to mind. In addition to El Grap's recommendations, I would add:

the films of Tsai Ming-liang
the films of Bela Tarr (a bit dark, maybe, but try Werckmeister Harmonies)
the films of Andrei Tarkovsky
The Long Day Closes
Aguirre, the Wrath of God
The Conformist
The Tree of Life
(among other Malick)
Innocence (2004, Lucile Hadzihalilovic)
The Scent of Green Papaya and The Vertical Ray of the Sun
Waiting for Happiness

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

El Graplurado posted:

Watch more of Apichatpong Weerasethakul if you can
Most things by Raul Ruiz (Manoel on the Island of Marvels, On Top of the Whale, Three Crowns of the Sailor, City of Pirates, etc.)
Limite
Jean Cocteau movies
Jean Rollin's
The short movies of Nobuhiko Obayashi
Sergei Parajanov (Colour of Pomegranates, Ashik Kerib, Shadows of Our Forgotten Ancestors)
Czech/Slovak stuff like Valerie and her Week of Wonders, Morgiana, Fruit of Paradise, Birds Orphans Fools, Szinbad
Shuji Terayama (Pastoral: to Die in the Country, Grass Labyrinth, Farewell to the Ark, etc.)
Naomi Kawase (Suzaku, Shara)
Marguerite Duras (India Song, Agatha and the Limitless Readings, L’Homme Atlantique)
Aleksandr Sokurov's
A bunch of surrealist silent French movies (The Seashell and the Clergyman, Menilmontant, Autumn Mists, Entr’acte, etc.)
Man Follows Birds
Cafe Noir
A Midsummer's Fantasia
Romance Joe
Serail
Cuadecuc, Vampir
a bunch

I'm familiar with some of these, mainly Parajanov and Valerie and her week of wonders and the "classic" surrealists. Gonna take a look at some of the others. I've heard good things about Bi Gan, so I think I'll track down Kaili Blues. Thanks for the recommendations!

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

FitFortDanga posted:

So many come to mind. In addition to El Grap's recommendations, I would add:

the films of Tsai Ming-liang
the films of Bela Tarr (a bit dark, maybe, but try Werckmeister Harmonies)
the films of Andrei Tarkovsky
The Long Day Closes
Aguirre, the Wrath of God
The Conformist
The Tree of Life
(among other Malick)
Innocence (2004, Lucile Hadzihalilovic)
The Scent of Green Papaya and The Vertical Ray of the Sun
Waiting for Happiness

I'm familiar with Tarr and Tarkovsky, as well as Malick and Aguirre, but these others seem very interesting indeed. Thanks!

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TrixRabbi posted:

Mary Jane's Not a Virgin Anymore (1998)
Metropolitan (1990)
Fast Times at Ridgemont High if you've somehow never seen it.
Everything else by John Hughes obviously
The Big Chill (pretty much tonally and thematically the same as Breakfast Club except it's about aging Boomers in the mid-80's instead of Gen X teens in the mid-80's)

this seems really interesting thanks. also good coming of age movies?

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012
Ok i'm not sure under which topic this would fit the best, but does an horror movie about body hair exists? I mean an movie which main focus/killer is body hair. Not hair extensions or wigs, but the hair on your arms, chest, etc......
My friend asked me about that and the closest i ever got was Body bags/Hair

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

What are the best places to start with Hou Hsiao-Hsien?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
The Puppetmaster, if you can find it. I adore the first segment of Three Times, am cooler on the other two. Bounced hard off of Flowers of Shanghai (saw it when I was 18), but many consider it to be one of his best, and I think you'd be into it. Bounced hard off of Goodbye South, Goodbye and saw it in recent years, so if you're not familiar with his milieu, you could save this "gangster film" for later. Same with The Assassin as a "martial arts flick", but that ended up very fine if you knew what to expect. I think that's all I've seen. A lot of fans talk about A City of Sadness, Millennium Mambo, and Café Lumière as well.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Flowers of Shanghai is very slow, and suffers from a lovely home video release too. It should be a beautiful film, but that dvd is very ugly. I could see someone having a hard time with it, but still think it's worthwhile. Probably best if you're already into slower cinema and somewhat familiar with Chinese brothel period dramas.

My personal intro to Hou Hsio-hsien was The Assassin. It's easy to see and as long as you're not expecting an action flick I think it's amazing. If you're already interested in Hou it should be a great entry point. After that I came across this review of Millenium Mambo, and that movie is not only great, but sort of came along at the perfect time in my life and is still easily my favorite of his so far. A City of Sadness has definitely earned its reputation, Daughter of the Nile is quite good too. Personally I liked all of Three Times, even the boring parts. Think that's all I've seen so far. I have the Masters of Cinema Early Hou set, but haven't watched any just yet. I think The Boys from Fengkuei is supposed to be the best of those.

And speaking of The Puppetmaster, haven't watched it yet, but I love that someone added this poster to tmdb:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Coaaab posted:

A lot of fans talk about A City of Sadness, Millennium Mambo, and Café Lumière as well.

A City of Sadness is a great film and not a bad place to start, but only if you're vaguely familiar with the post-war history of Taiwan. Otherwise, you might feel rather lost at times. Though I guess that goes for many of Hou's films.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
i watched the island of lost souls and the testament of dr mabuse today. recommend me movies from the 30s to watch. i have the petrified forest lined up for now (mostly because of leslie howard being amazing in 49th paralel).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Slaapaav posted:

i watched the island of lost souls and the testament of dr mabuse today. recommend me movies from the 30s to watch. i have the petrified forest lined up for now (mostly because of leslie howard being amazing in 49th paralel).

Dracula, Frankenstein, Gone With the Wind, Wizard of Oz, All Quiet on the Western Front, Modern Times, City Lights, Bride of Frankenstein, Scarface, The 39 Steps, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington...

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Slaapaav posted:

Limite
Holiday
Gold Diggers of 1933
The Lady Vanishes
One Hour With You
One Way Passage
Pepe le Moko
Humanity and Paper Balloons
Leibelei
The Mascot
Dames
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Carnival in Flanders
La Chienne
Love Me Tonight

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
39 steps was pretty good!

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Tonight's movie options. Never seen any of these:
a) Winter's Bone
b) The French Connection
c) The Untouchables

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Tonight's movie options. Never seen any of these:
a) Winter's Bone
b) The French Connection
c) The Untouchables

French Connection.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
I need a recommend for the most unpredictable movie you can think of. My girlfriend has the most uncanny ability to figure out movies before they are 1/2 through. The closest I got to the end was 12 Monkeys.

Looking for anything not comedy. Not a fan of comedy.

And it can’t have any rape scenes. She freaks out.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

If your girlfriend can figure out the ending twist of Remember Me before it happens, then either have her start rattling off lottery numbers or check her phone to see if she's reading Wikipedia in the bathroom.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Try Witness for the Prosecution...

I guarantee she’ll guess one twist, but definitely not all of them. The last twenty minutes are *wild.*

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
They're sort of in the cultural zeitgeist, so she might've heard about them, but honestly I think it's pretty tough to predict the ends of Inglourious Basterds or Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood just because there's no real way to know which direction Tarantino is going. I don't know if Blackhat is something you can necessarily "figure out," but if it is, I think it'd be hard to guess, just because there are lots of possibilities. I'd be pretty surprised if she can predict the end of Glass. Really I'm a little suspicious of how many movies she can in fact predict before halfway through: lots of movies throw in twists after the 1st half that aren't so much "unpredictable" but rather they're one of a dozen twists the movie could've thrown in, so how would anyone know that twist is coming rather than some other twist? So for instance in Margaret someone dies, but it's not like there's an obvious person who is going to die or even an obvious candidate for death.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Show her Clue and see if she can guess that it has three different endings.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I want some movies that are kind of, uh, 'high energy' where you don't really know what exactly is going to happen next, you're just enjoying the ride.

I guess the best examples I can think of are Detention (2012) and Sorry To Bother You. The Crank movies count but I don't want to limit it to just action movies. I've seen Holy Motors which technically falls under this banner but I don't think I want something quite that artsy.

Also I'd like to see some cool movies that use colour as vibrantly as stuff by Tarsem Singh and Zhang Yimou. Or SpiderVerse.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

bewilderment posted:

I want some movies that are kind of, uh, 'high energy' where you don't really know what exactly is going to happen next, you're just enjoying the ride.
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension!, After Hours, F for Fake, Burn After Reading.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

bewilderment posted:

I guess the best examples I can think of are Detention (2012) and Sorry To Bother You. The Crank movies count but I don't want to limit it to just action movies. I've seen Holy Motors which technically falls under this banner but I don't think I want something quite that artsy.

Also I'd like to see some cool movies that use colour as vibrantly as stuff by Tarsem Singh and Zhang Yimou. Or SpiderVerse.

House (1977)

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
i know this is a really hard question, but what's your favorite zombie movie of all time

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Kanine posted:

i know this is a really hard question, but what's your favorite zombie movie of all time

Omega man. easy question

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Kanine posted:

Everyone's favorite is Return of the Living Dead. You want their second favorite.

Which is Night of the Living Dead. Watch them in order of release, though.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Slaapaav posted:

Omega man. easy question

Not even the best adaptation of that story. Not even the second best! Get lost!

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

DeimosRising posted:

Not even the best adaptation of that story. Not even the second best! Get lost!

i havent seen the last man on earth so il give you that but please dont say the will smith movie is better because charlton heston > will smith.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Slaapaav posted:

i havent seen the last man on earth so il give you that but please dont say the will smith movie is better because charlton heston > will smith.

Last man on earth and The HΩmega Man

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

It's kind of amazing that I Am Legend has been adapted into a movie three times (four, if you count Asylum's take on it, I suppose), and yet none of them have had the balls to stick to the original ending.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Timby posted:

It's kind of amazing that I Am Legend has been adapted into a movie three times (four, if you count Asylum's take on it, I suppose), and yet none of them have had the balls to stick to the original ending.

do they shoot a dog in it or something?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Will Smith movie is pretty great if you watch the proper cut without the bullshit theatrical ending for assholes.

It's not much of a horror movie, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lurdiak posted:

The Will Smith movie is pretty great if you watch the proper cut without the bullshit theatrical ending for assholes.

It's not much of a horror movie, though.

Isn't the theatrical ending closer to the book? At least Neville kills himself in the theatrical cut while in the director's cut he gets a "drives off into the sunrise" ending or something like that.

Maybe my memory's shot again, I don't know.