Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I think it will help a poo poo ton. Epic still has the lion's share of the Denver market, so I think it will reduce weekend visits by a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I imagine that if my local mountain, Mt. Hood were to be purchased by Ikon/Epic I would probably go to other Ikon/Epic resorts and probably the most well known ones, which I think would probably be disliked by the locals. But when I travel to ski, I take vacation and only like to ski weekdays. So, maybe a mixed bag.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Biohazard posted:

I just think it's funny that they made this big deal how they were doing it because it got too busy and traffic was a problem. I mean that's all true, but clearly that was just the reason they gave because Ikon hadn't finished signing their fat check yet. Can't say I blame them, but it's not going to stop going to abasin being a miserable experience, which is a drat shame since it's a great mountain.

Yup the height of hypocrisy. Can't blame then either though.

I am guessing pass sales were not looking very good, but who can say. I barely went to a basin so I am not overly concerned (parking/lines/etc are bad). Maybe I will consider an ikon in a future year. We will see.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eejit posted:

I think it will help a poo poo ton. Epic still has the lion's share of the Denver market, so I think it will reduce weekend visits by a lot

I would guess you are right and I don't have any stats but when ikon came out I would say over 60% of my ride group switched. Two years ago lines seemed shorter at the epic resorts, last year I was mostly broken but really no lines in the 25 days I did ride at epic resorts.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I mean we'll see, I guess. I personally don't understand the mass switchover from Denver day trippers because you get two resorts instead of four for regular riding.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Agreed, I didn't understand it either.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I'd only ever really make it to A Basin for a few days each season, a few early days and a few late days. Loved the resort but there was no way to get away from the crowds due to the size/layout.

I'll continue to be a lazy rear end and just keep riding at Breck for most of my winters.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

spwrozek posted:

I would guess you are right and I don't have any stats but when ikon came out I would say over 60% of my ride group switched. Two years ago lines seemed shorter at the epic resorts, last year I was mostly broken but really no lines in the 25 days I did ride at epic resorts.

Epic pass sales went up last season hugely. Whether that's from Denverites I guess it's harder to know.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Apparently it's only 5 days with the Ikon base pass at A-basin. 7 with the full. I'll eat me shoe here, that's actually probably the best possible income, still some level of access to the mountain for people on a pass, but keeping it a little more reasonable than the Epic pass was.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Disinterested posted:

Epic pass sales went up last season hugely. Whether that's from Denverites I guess it's harder to know.

I know a bunch of people in southwest Colorado who bought it because it’s cheaper than the 7 days you get at telluride which they can drive to, plus you get all the other mountains.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Disinterested posted:

True, how many resorts did they pick up to Summers ago? I would guess many sales number increases are not in Colorado. The numbers will go way up again this year.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I just want everyone to stop going to the Jane is that so much to ask?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dangerllama posted:

I just want everyone to stop going to the Jane is that so much to ask?

I promise to stay in the back country

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
So apparently our ski club program is going to go to Colorado in mid/late October for training maybe for ~*~reasons~*~

Except IIRC most of Colorado doesn't open for race training until early November? Am I remembering that wrong? I just know that the last time I went to Colorado, five years ago, we were there I think November 7th to 12th or something like that and there was STILL nothing open and everyone had to go to Copper.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I don't know about racing and if they will specifically try to get something going on October for you. There will be no snow.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

HookShot posted:

So apparently our ski club program is going to go to Colorado in mid/late October for training maybe for ~*~reasons~*~

Except IIRC most of Colorado doesn't open for race training until early November? Am I remembering that wrong? I just know that the last time I went to Colorado, five years ago, we were there I think November 7th to 12th or something like that and there was STILL nothing open and everyone had to go to Copper.

You're talking about waterskiing, right?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Fwiw last year you would have had tones of snow in November. November 1- December 25th I skied 17 days and 16 were powder.

E: there is also no waterskiing near Vail though....

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

spwrozek posted:

I mean…how high is the Eagle running right now?

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

HookShot posted:

November can be decent maybe one or two out of five seasons. October skiing is a publicity stunt.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

spwrozek posted:

Fwiw last year you would have had tones of snow in November. November 1- December 25th I skied 17 days and 16 were powder.

Yeah it was absolutely insane. Gonna miss last season a lot.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dangerllama posted:

I mean…how high is the Eagle running right now?

Doable for sure

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I have one more quick Whistler question for my Whistler residing Goon friends.

Is it easy to get around there without driving? I am looking at staying at a place in the "Upper Village" but am a tad worried it might be hard for my elderly parents to make their way to the village center. Am I worrying too much here, or should I be looking for a place closer to village center?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

spwrozek posted:

I don't know about racing and if they will specifically try to get something going on October for you. There will be no snow.

LOL yeah this is kind of what I was thinking.

Like, I know 2014/15 was such an epically bad year for pretty much the entire western side of North America, so I probably shouldn't compare, but we showed up literally three weeks after this planned trip, only Copper had enough snow for a WROD (we were supposed to be at Vail) and literally every ski racing team that showed up for those times ended up on that one run. I feel like expecting there to be enough snow to train on in mid-October is... optimistic.

But hey I'm not going on this trip anyway since I don't even know if I get to train with the club this year until October so whatever it's their problem LOL.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I have one more quick Whistler question for my Whistler residing Goon friends.

Is it easy to get around there without driving? I am looking at staying at a place in the "Upper Village" but am a tad worried it might be hard for my elderly parents to make their way to the village center. Am I worrying too much here, or should I be looking for a place closer to village center?
It depends on where exactly in the Upper Village. Some of what's technically considered upper village is still basically the village, some of it is along the free bus route which would be fine, and there are other parts where I would 100% not recommend doing it with people with mobility issues without having a car. If you want to PM me a link to the place (I'm assuming you're not comfortable posting it here) I'll give you my thoughts :)

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
I've skied Breck in early November before regular open the last few seasons and it's been a death ribbon opened only by snow guns the majority of the time. But last year was good.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Death ribbons opened by snow guns are fine for race training, and honestly more ideal than natural snow a lot of the time.

I'm just wondering if they can even get that far by then.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Last time I was up at Copper in mid November — this was years ago, mind you — they did have a single run up top that was open only for race training. I want to say CDL’s Trail #20, or possibly Ptarmigan.

I wonder if this is an annual thing that they get open super early for just this purpose.

The rest of the mountain will likely be bare.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

Last time I was up at Copper in mid November — this was years ago, mind you — they did have a single run up top that was open only for race training. I want to say CDL’s Trail #20, or possibly Ptarmigan.

I wonder if this is an annual thing that they get open super early for just this purpose.

The rest of the mountain will likely be bare.

Yeah, they open the mountain before it opens to the public every year for race training. A lot of places do this. I've skied at so many ski resorts in November before they were open to the public.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Kind of glad we went for bariloche at the moment...

https://www.tetongravity.com/story/news/conditions-look-bleak-in-chile-as-ski-resorts-shut-down

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
People cutting gondola cables now?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/10/americas/gondola-canada-crash-trnd/index.html

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Doesn't matter it's not to a ski resort.

But TBH it's not all that much of a surprise that this eventually happened here. I've been saying for a couple of years that things are reaching a tipping point vis-a-vis tourists vs. locals.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I can just imagine someone with some big lop shears finally snipping through a gondola cable then immediately getting sliced in half horror movie style.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, the number of people who could manage to cut the wires under that much tension and not get cut in half themselves while doing so is probably pretty low.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Speaking of gondolas seven of you are invited to my upcoming gondola rave:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32969876405.html

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Had my first day of the season over the weekend (Southern Hemisphere baby!) however I have quite a bit of pain on my front right shin (I snowboard regular). I think the pain is mostly the skin rubbing a bit on the end of a screw from when I broke my leg a few years ago.

Are there any kind of pressure spot pads or something that I could use to relieve this a bit? My boots are brand new and pretty stiff so I’m sure it will ease up a bit but keen to see if there are other options too.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Red_Fred posted:

Had my first day of the season over the weekend (Southern Hemisphere baby!) however I have quite a bit of pain on my front right shin (I snowboard regular). I think the pain is mostly the skin rubbing a bit on the end of a screw from when I broke my leg a few years ago.

Are there any kind of pressure spot pads or something that I could use to relieve this a bit? My boots are brand new and pretty stiff so I’m sure it will ease up a bit but keen to see if there are other options too.

Would athletic bandage work? You could wrap it around the area to give a little more cushion.

Link below to an amazon listing of what I am talking about

https://smile.amazon.com/Elastic-Ba...223&sr=8-3&th=1

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

HookShot posted:

Doesn't matter it's not to a ski resort.

But TBH it's not all that much of a surprise that this eventually happened here. I've been saying for a couple of years that things are reaching a tipping point vis-a-vis tourists vs. locals.

There is some dude putting wire across mountain bike trails in Canmore already

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I posted this elsewhere (*cough* SBF) but figured I'd share this here as well.

Thanks to Vince Sanders, I received an early production model of the Never Summer East. I absolutely loved the prototype/demo one I tested. I noticed that the camber profile was ever so slightly different than that of the prototype/demo model I rode last year so I wanted to compare the various camber profiles of Never Summer’s freeride boards. I also included some other boards from my current quiver to compare the CRC hybrid camber to other profiles. (Yes, I'm goofy and run +21, -9/-12)

Production model Never Summer East with NOW O-Drive bindings

Very extended ripsaw hybrid camber profile unique to the East. The camber extends way out to the tips and the rocker is less pronounced than even the standard ripsaw camber and with bindings the tip and tail are flat on the table and are not lifted off the table by the rocker.

Never Summer Chairman with Union Charger bindings

This is the ripsaw hybrid camber profile version. As you can see, the tail touches the table from the weight of the bindings and the nose is slightly lifted off the table as a result. The camber sections are pronounced but don’t extend out as far to the tip and tail as on the East.

My old Never Summer Raptor with no bindings

This is the older rocker camber profile. Without bindings, neither tip nor tail is touching the table as the middle rocker has them both lifted. Rocker appears more pronounced and camber is less pronounced on the original rocker camber than the newer ripsaw profile.

Amplid UNW8 with Burton Diodes

This is as traditional as camber profiles go. This is full traditional positive camber with no modern camber features to make it less catchy or forgiving.

Gentemstick XY with Union Charger base and Burton straps

Here we have Gentem’s accel camber. It’s a modern microcamber (4mm rise) with a huge rockered nose. Not sure if the camber is set back relative to the binding inserts but it is set back relative to the length of the board itself.

This upcoming season’s quiver (the Dad-carving heavy set up):

Never Summer East, Gentemstick XY, Never Summer Chairman (Ripsaw), and Amplid UNW8

Yuns fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 16, 2019

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Those are pretty cool.. and here I am with one 6 year old board that I should probably replace soon. I've never ridden a Never Summer but I was looking at almost buying the Proto last year which seems to be my type of more playful ride.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That post just makes me want to spend so much money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Those Now bindings are neat.