Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

It is really awful when you find out what an utter sexual creep your father is. That's been a... very longtime problem for me. My dad cheats on his wives, compulsively. And lies about it, all the time, in ways that are absolutely shameless.

Also, for what it's worth, my parents were born in the same year and had a DEEPLY creepy, hosed up relationship with lots of power imbalance and psychological abuse and all sorts of bad poo poo. I really think a lot of the "age gaps are bad and creepy" stuff is somewhat anecdotal. After a certain age, a difference of up to 10 years (for instance) really just does not matter.

Generational differences usually wind up being more important. Like, the biggest reason I can't date people more than a few years younger than me is because I often find their cellphone habits appallingly rude. I mean, there are other things but that's the huge one! But I don't have the same problems with people more than a few years older than me, and I don't think a guy in his 40s would be creepy at all for dating me (34).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Jesus, my mother was like 15 when she got pregnant by my father who was around 20.

Almost 30 years later she found out he had abused a couple of sisters (one was 12), had children with both of them, and the girls' father kept asking my father for money if he didnt want to go to jail. It was a huge mess and mom just decided to divorce ( I think legally she couldnt do much).

Anyways :sigh: I remember she kept, while me and my sis were growing up, telling us to beware of men if they ever tried to convince us to have sex. " They 'live proof' is a lie."

Hah. Then also coming to terms that my ex raped me, among other lovely poo poo, while we were dating makes things so bad. I'm a mess of a human being. lol

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Desperado Bones posted:

Jesus, my mother was like 15 when she got pregnant by my father who was around 20.

Almost 30 years later she found out he had abused a couple of sisters (one was 12), had children with both of them, and the girls' father kept asking my father for money if he didnt want to go to jail. It was a huge mess and mom just decided to divorce ( I think legally she couldnt do much).

Anyways :sigh: I remember she kept, while me and my sis were growing up, telling us to beware of men if they ever tried to convince us to have sex. " They 'live proof' is a lie."

Hah. Then also coming to terms that my ex raped me, among other lovely poo poo, while we were dating makes things so bad. I'm a mess of a human being. lol

Jesus. That's a lot of terrible bullshit that happened to your mom and you.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 minutes!
I never asked cause I dont want to know

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s so weird to think about how we might not have ever existed if our dad’s had respected women more

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Jesus. That's a lot of terrible bullshit that happened to your mom and you.

For starters, a big apology it if was too much. poo poo happened. And I never realized I was abused until now that I'm older, and years later after I severed the relationship. It's was a big ol' "that's the way things are when you are dating, right?". I started to remember things one day and had OH poo poo reaction.

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s so weird to think about how we might not have ever existed if our dad’s had respected women more

Honestly, I always think I wouldn't mind not existing if that meant for my mom to have enjoyed her teenage years. I know she regrets falling for my dad.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

kaworu posted:

I really think a lot of the "age gaps are bad and creepy" stuff is somewhat anecdotal. After a certain age, a difference of up to 10 years (for instance) really just does not matter.

Yeah like one set of my grandparents had a two decade age difference. But my grandma, the younger one, was 34 and a senior nurse already (and my grandpa wasn't at all involved with the hospital) so like. No real issue? Like when the younger one is independent, an actual adult and has a job with stability and power themselves it's a lot less of a problem.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Yeah like one set of my grandparents had a two decade age difference. But my grandma, the younger one, was 34 and a senior nurse already (and my grandpa wasn't at all involved with the hospital) so like. No real issue? Like when the younger one is independent, an actual adult and has a job with stability and power themselves it's a lot less of a problem.

Both of my parents were born 7 months after my grandparents were married, but my grandparents were age appropriate for each other.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Skwirl posted:

Both of my parents were born 7 months after my grandparents were married, but my grandparents were age appropriate for each other.

Your parents are twins? :wth:

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

We no joke have probably had 15-20 pages of discussion in the Bojack thread here with like 1 dude who insisted multiple times it wasn’t that bad and “whom among us” and just seemed incapable of recognizing things like age gap, class gap, power dynamics, etc. and just maintained a steady “if she’s down, then she’s down”

Something Awful is as much of a cess pit as the rest of the internet, the sickos are just better at hiding in their own discords then they used to be. If you play games with goons at all you’ll regularly encounter people who still talk like it’s Halo team speak in 2002.

I must've missed that in the Bojack thread. At least it sounds like it was one nonce getting dogpiled rather than the other way round.

I don't doubt there are a lot of weirdo gamer goons, but I used to play a lot of Destiny and Diablo 3 with goons and only ever had positive experiences with cool guys. Which was nice, because most of the time that I've interacted with randoms in games it's a string of racial slurs punctuated with poo poo about how they 'raped' someone in a game. I pretty much exclusively just play with real life friends nowadays.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
For anyone not in the know, the new animated show from the Bojack team “Tuca & Bertie”
largely revolves around sexism in the workplace, different levels of sexual assault and inappropriate behavior, and how these things can easily both confuse the victim and pollute their personal relationships.

I honestly wasn’t totally on board until the last 2 episodes and then it fell into place and I really enjoyed it. It’s a shame that Bojack can get 6 well deserved seasons to discuss sexism from a male perspective and Tuca & Bertie gets canned after one season from the female perspective, and I have to admit I didn’t even think of its cancellation as being motivated by sexism, assuming it had more to do with Tornante’s recent unionization for its animators, but after finishing it it last night I’m much more open to that idea.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Quote-Unquote posted:

I don't doubt there are a lot of weirdo gamer goons, but I used to play a lot of Destiny and Diablo 3 with goons and only ever had positive experiences with cool guys. Which was nice, because most of the time that I've interacted with randoms in games it's a string of racial slurs punctuated with poo poo about how they 'raped' someone in a game. I pretty much exclusively just play with real life friends nowadays.

Same. I've largely stopped playing online games because I loving hate most of the people I interact with when it's random people. Goons are the only people (that I don't know personally) that I'll game with, join a guild with, whatever, because they're generally speaking decent people (or can at least fake it online) compared to the randos I would encounter elsewhere. Diablo 3, as you mentioned, is a good example of that. Regular gen chat was a cespool of racism and rape "jokes". The LLJK goon group was a cool group of goons I'd join for running Rifts.

Online gaming is where I adopted my life motto, "People are the worst". It's served me well in the real world the past few years, too.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ll say that the goons I play with in SA Elite Gamers are very good about policing that poo poo and you will get called out and removed from goon groups for any repeat offenses.

The Nazis and CHUDS all play The Division 2 and EVE, if you aren’t playing those or Batllefield it’s probably fine.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Krankenstyle posted:

Your parents are twins? :wth:

Ssh, in public they pretend he's Robert Baratheon's son

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I’ll say that the goons I play with in SA Elite Gamers are very good about policing that poo poo and you will get called out and removed from goon groups for any repeat offenses.

The Nazis and CHUDS all play The Division 2 and EVE, if you aren’t playing those or Batllefield it’s probably fine.

Are there nazis on SA? Or do you just mean in general?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yes there are legit Nazis, they have a discord called BMW Goonz or something like that. One of our Destiny players got invited accidentally and when they caught him screen shotting their Nazi bullshit and trying to match user names with forums handles they booted him and scrubbed the server but he mentioned at least 30 active users, this was like 2 months ago.

You’ll see them pop up in TGRS, it’s like they literally spend their free time waiting for Posters of Color to be happy about something and then try to destroy it.

Like we crowdfunded Koalas March to go to Wakanda Con because she’s a great black female voice in this deeply white male space and her gofundme got reported and all the donations froze until we could get it cleared up. Literally trolling the black people sub forum just to try be nasty assholes.

Sorry for derail, but it pays to be aware.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Yes there are legit Nazis, they have a discord called BMW Goonz or something like that. One of our Destiny players got invited accidentally and when they caught him screen shotting their Nazi bullshit and trying to match user names with forums handles they booted him and scrubbed the server but he mentioned at least 30 active users, this was like 2 months ago.

You’ll see them pop up in TGRS, it’s like they literally spend their free time waiting for Posters of Color to be happy about something and then try to destroy it.

Like we crowdfunded Koalas March to go to Wakanda Con because she’s a great black female voice in this deeply white male space and her gofundme got reported and all the donations froze until we could get it cleared up. Literally trolling the black people sub forum just to try be nasty assholes.

Sorry for derail, but it pays to be aware.

I'm glad you made me aware.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

I didn't know about any of this, but it's so cool people did that generous thing for her. I enjoy her posting and her clear enthusiasm in TVIV a lot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/therealaftonw/status/1157932009244827650?s=19

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Bust Rodd posted:

...The Nazis and CHUDS all play The Division 2...

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Are there nazis on SA? Or do you just mean in general?

There were obvious Nazis in the Division 2 thread in Games. Invoking Holomodor* out of the blue when the game's fash as gently caress sub-human Other narrative was addressed. It was genuinely shocking.

*A massive red flag talking point used to deflect criticism of the Nazis and Holocaust.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
a lot of fashy types flock to mmos for some reason

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

There were obvious Nazis in the Division 2 thread in Games. Invoking Holomodor* out of the blue when the game's fash as gently caress sub-human Other narrative was addressed. It was genuinely shocking.

*A massive red flag talking point used to deflect criticism of the Nazis and Holocaust.

gently caress, this is so depressing. I'd have thought that poo poo would've been weeded out.

Phi230 posted:

I mean, I'd assume it's fantasy fulfillment. It allows them to be as fascist as they wanna be.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Phi230 posted:

they get to organize with like minded fashy types without having to leave their house and be lovely to real human beings with no consequences beyond getting banned and having to rebuy the game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Who are the nazis in the Division 2 thread?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
If I remember correctly the guy invoking Holodomor was Despera.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Bring back Helldump but for Nazis.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GrandpaPants posted:

Bring back Helldump but for Nazis.

not an emptyquote

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Bring back that thing from 2 Fast 2 Furious with the rat in the bucket but for Nazis

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Trump Labor Secretary Alex Acosta resigns amid pressure from Jeffrey Epstein sex traffic case
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/12/labor-secretary-alex-acosta-is-resigning-as-pressure-mounts-from-jeffrey-epstein-case.html

Epstein Trial Will Have a MILLION Pages of Evidence, Lawyers Tell Court
https://www.thedailybeast.com/jeffrey-epstein-trial-will-have-a-million-pages-of-evidence-lawyers-tell-court

Ohio Police Officers Who Arrested Stormy Daniels Face Departmental Charges
https://news.yahoo.com/columbus-police-officers-who-arrested-stormy-daniels-face-departmental-charges-151927695.html

kaworu posted:

On youtube, people can say exactly what they feel without fear of consequences - I think it more accurately reveals the 'id' of America than any other wildly popular site.

Yea, some of the most unfiltered and explicitly libidinous stuff is on there. If you look through comments on some music videos it's revealing. I remember watching an Olivia Newton-John video and more recently Ariana Grande and scrolling through the comments you'd think you'd gone to some fetish site. Dozens of long crazy sexual fantasies and then all of them have hundreds of YouTube thumbs-up votes.

Another thing that really reveals what people think is the raw Google search data which has become a modern day de facto confessional among other things. Although that isn't public information some people have been given access to some of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gBViHUDYD0

Also, Yahoo comments especially before they started aggressively banning people.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
https://twitter.com/juliamacfarlane/status/1160172238475337728

welp

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Props to Jeffrey Epstein; say what you will about him, but he's the guy who killed Jeffrey Epstein.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

21 Muns posted:

he's the guy who killed Jeffrey Epstein.

I mean... maybe

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
how did nobody post about Matt Groening

he got a foot massage on air epstein

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There is no loving way he killed himself. People with his ego don't commit suicide.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Trump and the Clintons and also the Lannisters send their regards

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

For gently caress's sake.

This guy is the head of an international pedo trafficking ring, you can't be bothered to put eyes on him 24/7?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Crackbone posted:

For gently caress's sake.

This guy is the head of an international pedo trafficking ring, you can't be bothered to put eyes on him 24/7?

He was supposed to be on suicide watch after attempting this two weeks ago. Eyes probably were on him. Or at least they were supposed to be.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm sure it all went exactly as planned.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
LMAO at people unironically advancing Clinton Body Count conspiracies ITT. Yes, there are (generally black) people who are murdered by guards in prison and have their deaths covered up as suicides. No, they aren't billionaires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

21 Muns posted:

LMAO at people unironically advancing Clinton Body Count conspiracies ITT. Yes, there are (generally black) people who are murdered by guards in prison and have their deaths covered up as suicides. No, they aren't billionaires.

Why do you think that makes it less likely