Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Really curious about his genetics now, don't know what you guys think about Embark but we just sent his swab in. Of course he didn't mind for a second when we swabbed his cheek.

Embark testing is really cool and I hope you share the results! I'd definitely believe chow/akita just from his looks but those can be deceiving. I found the health and color genetics stuff super interesting when I did one on my dog but I guess now they have a cheaper version for people who just want the breed testing and not the health stuff. I hope that means more people do them because I'd love for one of my dog's relatives to show up in their relative finder.

DizzyBum posted:

One of my thoughts was to get him a toy that keeps him busy for a while, like one of those treat-dispensing puzzle toys, and only give it to him during computer time, and then take it away when computer time is over.

That sounds like a good plan. Something high value like a bully stick or wet food frozen onto a lickimat or something else that he can lick/chew might be more calming for him and easier for him to focus on when freaked out than a more complicated puzzle toy. It's a weird situation for sure! You could maybe treat it like separation anxiety and start practicing just sitting at the computer for a moment then getting back up before the dog freaks out. Just built up duration and positive associations with being at the computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Embark testing is really cool and I hope you share the results! I'd definitely believe chow/akita just from his looks but those can be deceiving. I found the health and color genetics stuff super interesting when I did one on my dog but I guess now they have a cheaper version for people who just want the breed testing and not the health stuff. I hope that means more people do them because I'd love for one of my dog's relatives to show up in their relative finder.

Yeah the breed info is gonna be the most entertaining part but we're primarily interested in the health info (and further contributing to canine research by shamelessly hawking his data). Oddly enough on Trill's mybuddysplace (which is super cool and gives you a repository for all your dogs info, including health records) we saw that his original rescuers thought he was Chow/Jindo. Size-wise he seems to match that and looking at pictures it makes sense. I'll definitely post his genetic results here when they come.

And to update...looks like he does know some commands in Farsi! We voice chatted the woman that originally rescued him and he definitely responded when she spoke to him. So far sit, "bichin" and come, "bia" work pretty well with him.

Zisky fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 30, 2019

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Also when you guys say teeth get involved in reference to tug play, you mean snarling or baring the teeth, right?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Also when you guys say teeth get involved in reference to tug play, you mean snarling or baring the teeth, right?

Yes, or overaggressively trying to get more of the toy. Apollo liked to creep his mouth up until we were hand to teeth and uh uh, no.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Took the beage out jogging this morning for a couple of miles. Near the end she had a second movement that was both loose and pretty dark with what appeared to be blood and a bit more mucus than usual. I remember being told by our vet that stressful changes in environment can cause some degree of blood in stool so I'm keeping an eye on things and will take her in if it happens again. Anyone else experienced something like this? She's her normal lazy as poo poo self otherwise, always hungry.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Is this a good place to rant about fake 'Service dogs'. Just a XXXX-doodle charge over to another dog at my local cafe. He was friendly (although the way he charged wasn't!) and the owners had no control, despite the very official looking 'service dog' harness he was wearing. I really had to bite my tongue at not saying anything to the owners.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
When we take Sherlock for long rear end walks in the heat he normally has a second poop that is loose and mucous y. No blood, but the rest of it sounds familiar.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Is this a good place to rant about fake 'Service dogs'. Just a XXXX-doodle charge over to another dog at my local cafe. He was friendly (although the way he charged wasn't!) and the owners had no control, despite the very official looking 'service dog' harness he was wearing. I really had to bite my tongue at not saying anything to the owners.

I feel this pretty hard. I'm epileptic, and know other epileptic people who have service dogs. I have people tell me allllll the time to just have Sherlock made into a service dog. What service does he provide??? When I have seizures he gets pissed off bc I interrupt his sleep. He has sneezed in my face post seizure and to even let on that this dog may detect a seizure is hilarious to me. But still. ~make him a service dog~.

your dog isn't providing a service just because you're able to bring him into a restaurant or grocery store, karen.

luscious fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 31, 2019

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Well after doing so well being outside of the crate for 3 months I came home today to both pairs of my dress shoes being destroyed beyond repair and the laces chewed out of my new pair of sneakers :(. I guess it's back in the crate for a while and we can start over with small periods of time at some point. He's a year and a half old so I'll probably have to give it another few months. I try to keep him busy with a Kong and lots of toys while I'm gone but I guess that wasn't enough today.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I mean, I like bringing my hound dog to restaurants but there's plenty of restaurants with dog friendly patios. But I don't let her act a butthole. I haven't done it in a while though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

i vomit kittens posted:

Well after doing so well being outside of the crate for 3 months I came home today to both pairs of my dress shoes being destroyed beyond repair and the laces chewed out of my new pair of sneakers :(. I guess it's back in the crate for a while and we can start over with small periods of time at some point. He's a year and a half old so I'll probably have to give it another few months. I try to keep him busy with a Kong and lots of toys while I'm gone but I guess that wasn't enough today.

Hopefully this was just a phase / random acting out. Young dogs tend to do that kind of thing. Sorry about your shoes though.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Hopefully this was just a phase / random acting out. Young dogs tend to do that kind of thing. Sorry about your shoes though.

Yeah. I thought about it and I went ahead and put all the shoes away in a closet and am going to try leaving him out again tomorrow. The only thing he could get at now is furniture and he's never even tried to bite at that before, so hopefully he doesn't try to branch out

Zisky
May 6, 2003

GoodBee posted:

I mean, I like bringing my hound dog to restaurants but there's plenty of restaurants with dog friendly patios. But I don't let her act a butthole. I haven't done it in a while though.

We've taken Trill to restaurants with patios 3 times, and so far all he does is lay there. He had a puppy meal at one place and interactions with kids of all ages and he's been nothing but chill. This one year old girl totally afraid of dogs but in love with them at the same time even came over and hung out for a minute.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I'm looking after a 9 week old labrador puppy. I've taught it to sit and lie down pretty reliably. The main issue is any time you try to interact with it other than training it with treats it will immediately take a chunk out of your hands or feet. I've read up on how this is normal and i should teach it to bite softer by making a pain noise to make it let go then leave the room for a minute. The problem is that from what i've read reacting in pain should make it let go temporarily, but this dog will bite down as hard as it can and won't let go unless you force it to. If that's normal and i have to lose a chunk of flesh every play session until it learns to be gentler then so be it, i just wanted to make sure i'm not doing anything wrong.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

CJ posted:

I'm looking after a 9 week old labrador puppy. I've taught it to sit and lie down pretty reliably. The main issue is any time you try to interact with it other than training it with treats it will immediately take a chunk out of your hands or feet. I've read up on how this is normal and i should teach it to bite softer by making a pain noise to make it let go then leave the room for a minute. The problem is that from what i've read reacting in pain should make it let go temporarily, but this dog will bite down as hard as it can and won't let go unless you force it to. If that's normal and i have to lose a chunk of flesh every play session until it learns to be gentler then so be it, i just wanted to make sure i'm not doing anything wrong.

Redirect his biting with a toy and/or immediately stop playing/interacting until he understands that biting ends the fun. We’re fostering a puppy right now and standing up and turning my back to him the second he starts biting is working well.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Redirect his biting with a toy and/or immediately stop playing/interacting until he understands that biting ends the fun. We’re fostering a puppy right now and standing up and turning my back to him the second he starts biting is working well.

That's what i'm doing but it's getting her to let go so i can do that which i'm not sure about. As soon as she decides to bite she clamps down and i can only endure the pain for 2-3 seconds so i can't really wait for her to get bored and let go or anything.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

CJ posted:

That's what i'm doing but it's getting her to let go so i can do that which i'm not sure about. As soon as she decides to bite she clamps down and i can only endure the pain for 2-3 seconds so i can't really wait for her to get bored and let go or anything.

9 weeks is still pretty young. We got my male at 7 weeks and he was a biter until 8 or 9 months no matter what we did. I still have scars and he’s 3 now. I will say that once he was done teething at 6-7 months he got a lot better. Just keep doing what you’re doing; dogs (especially young ones) need long term consistency to “get it”, and they will eventually. My boy who was a biter wouldn’t think of doing it now; he even takes his bedtime cookie gently between his front teeth :)

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
That was Napoleon and it took forever for him to knock it the hell off. He only recently just stopped. We just did a lot of redirecting and Hollering. And hiding my hands under couch cushions or behind my back.
Blowing on her nose/mouth usually makes dogs let go of whatever they’re biting.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Instant Jellyfish posted:

That sounds like a good plan. Something high value like a bully stick or wet food frozen onto a lickimat or something else that he can lick/chew might be more calming for him and easier for him to focus on when freaked out than a more complicated puzzle toy. It's a weird situation for sure! You could maybe treat it like separation anxiety and start practicing just sitting at the computer for a moment then getting back up before the dog freaks out. Just built up duration and positive associations with being at the computer.

Yeah, it's really stressing us out right now. She tried giving him a bully stick as she went to her computer today. He was interested in it for about a second before going back to flipping out, and now he's starting to act out by doing things like rooting through the trash or the stuff on the coffee table which he would never do otherwise.

We're gonna keep at it though. It's not like he'll get better instantly.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
So Napoleon just ticked over to 7 months and has turned into a little rear end in a top hat again and I have no idea why. He’s become really bad with chasing the cats, which he used to be pretty good with. Hes been chewing on power cords, and chewing on walls, those 2 are super cool brand new behaviors. He’s also gotten really bad at chewing on blankets and destroyed a comforter and sheet. Is this a pseudo- normal thing or is he just being an rear end in a top hat to be an rear end in a top hat?

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

My pup is nearly eight months and she just started a destroyer phase, too. We got her back in March, and all while she was teething, she never ruined anything other than her own toys and bedding. She used to be really easy to redirect away from stuff she shouldn't chew on, but now I swear it's like she goes back to furniture, walls, or cabinets she was warned away from just to show us that we aren't the boss of her. Bitter apple spray on her most frequent targets has helped a little, but only seems to last a day or two before we have to re-spray.

She's also recently started blowing off commands that she'd been really solid on unless we're holding a treat, and sometimes even that doesn't work. Our trainer suggested alternating in little bits of people food along with her regular training treats, and then if she cops an attitude, make a big show of eating one of the better treats ourselves. We've only been doing it for a few days so I can't tell if it's helping, but she's definitely not a fan of that move. And as much as I love this little terror, it's also really satisfying to play, "oh, this piece of cheese? It was meant for a nice puppy that sits when she's told, but since there isn't one of those around here, I guess I'll just have it myself."

Our biggest issue lately is that she's getting harder to wear out. People keep telling me that if she's acting out then she needs more exercise, but between walks, fetch, and running up and down the fence line to taunt the neighbor dog, she gets over an hour of exercise every day. We also do at least a half hour of training (broken into shorter spurts) and another half hour of food puzzles, nosework games, or other kinds of mental stimulation. She gets at least four outings a week and the occasional daycare visit or play date with friends' dogs, too. We have to crate her to make her nap because she's never had much of an off switch, but if she's up, one of us is actively supervising her. She will play independently or plop down on her own for ten minutes at most unless we give her a frozen kong or a bully stick (which last a blissful twenty minutes to half an hour), so hearing "oh, you should give her more exercise" from folks when my husband and I are already spending 8-10 hours a day being totally focused on keeping the dog safe and occupied is a little discouraging.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

deety posted:

so hearing "oh, you should give her more exercise" from folks when my husband and I are already spending 8-10 hours a day being totally focused on keeping the dog safe and occupied is a little discouraging.

Dang. What kind of dog is she?

I haven't had a dog younger than 1.5 yrs so I can't really give puppy advice.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
My life is a never ending hell hole of pet problems. Dexter just had his neuter and his rabies shot, so we were hoping we’d finally be good on vet visits until his next vaccination right?

Nah, sitting in the emergency vet because he’s had diarrhea and vomiting for the last day. Tried the chicken and rice thing and no dice. So, called our vet and they referred us here since they’re booked out for like two weeks.

Really hoping he didn’t pick something up, which would just be my loving luck. I have to go to the vet at least once a week, if not for the dog, for one of my cats. :smith:

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

GoodBee posted:

Dang. What kind of dog is she?

I haven't had a dog younger than 1.5 yrs so I can't really give puppy advice.

The rescue's best guess was a plott hound/lab mix, and her vet thought that sounded close. My main strategy right now is to calmly praise her and give treats when she settles down on her own for more than a few minutes, and sometimes it seems like that helps? Taking her out somewhere with us helps a lot. If we're out in public she'll usually just lie down and people watch or quietly sniff around our table, which is pretty great because we've been trying to socialize her into becoming a good bar/brewery dog.

I work from home but I still crate her mornings and afternoons (with a two hour lunch break) because she won't just lie down and nap on her own the way some puppies supposedly do. Starting that routine dramatically improved her overall behavior, which makes me think that her restlessness was keeping her from getting enough sleep until we started forcing naps. I think now that she's getting older we just need to experiment and find a better schedule.

I bitch about this pup all the time, and my friends who've had puppies say she sounds like more work than theirs were. But she's also such a freaking good girl. She picks up on training quickly, she's great with most strangers and other dogs, she's not a loudmouth unless she's cranky or bored, and she walks nicely on leash like 80% of the time these days. She's usually eager to please apart from these recent bits of surliness, too. At this point we're just hoping to power through the worst of this puppy stage because I feel like as long as we're consistent with the training on our end, she's going to end up being a really calm, kickass adult dog.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

deety posted:

The rescue's best guess was a plott hound/lab mix, and her vet thought that sounded close.

She looks like my hound dog! My hound looks pretty much just like a Plott so that's what I tell people she is.

I got her almost 3 years ago when she was about 1.5 yrs old.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I'm more used to beagles, so I don't think I was totally prepared for how big she's gonna get (already 40 lbs). Plotts are fairly well-known out in the rural areas near where I live, but we still run into folks who have no idea what they are so I get a kick out of explaining that my happy little slobber monster was bred to hunt bears.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

My girl's a bit over 50 lbs. It's good size. They seem reasonably common around my area but most people seem to recognize them by sight and sound, not breed name.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

50 lbs is the best size because they're big enough to look like proper dogs, yet you can pick 'em up in an emergency.

I always worry about stepping on little dogs...

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

deety posted:

My pup is nearly eight months and she just started a destroyer phase, too. We got her back in March, and all while she was teething, she never ruined anything other than her own toys and bedding. She used to be really easy to redirect away from stuff she shouldn't chew on, but now I swear it's like she goes back to furniture, walls, or cabinets she was warned away from just to show us that we aren't the boss of her. Bitter apple spray on her most frequent targets has helped a little, but only seems to last a day or two before we have to re-spray.

She's also recently started blowing off commands that she'd been really solid on unless we're holding a treat, and sometimes even that doesn't work. Our trainer suggested alternating in little bits of people food along with her regular training treats, and then if she cops an attitude, make a big show of eating one of the better treats ourselves. We've only been doing it for a few days so I can't tell if it's helping, but she's definitely not a fan of that move. And as much as I love this little terror, it's also really satisfying to play, "oh, this piece of cheese? It was meant for a nice puppy that sits when she's told, but since there isn't one of those around here, I guess I'll just have it myself."

Our biggest issue lately is that she's getting harder to wear out. People keep telling me that if she's acting out then she needs more exercise, but between walks, fetch, and running up and down the fence line to taunt the neighbor dog, she gets over an hour of exercise every day. We also do at least a half hour of training (broken into shorter spurts) and another half hour of food puzzles, nosework games, or other kinds of mental stimulation. She gets at least four outings a week and the occasional daycare visit or play date with friends' dogs, too. We have to crate her to make her nap because she's never had much of an off switch, but if she's up, one of us is actively supervising her. She will play independently or plop down on her own for ten minutes at most unless we give her a frozen kong or a bully stick (which last a blissful twenty minutes to half an hour), so hearing "oh, you should give her more exercise" from folks when my husband and I are already spending 8-10 hours a day being totally focused on keeping the dog safe and occupied is a little discouraging.

A lot of dogs hit a hyper brat/rear end in a top hat phase around 8-9 months, they'll start testing boundaries and seeing what they can get away with. Eating the treats when she doesn't behave will definitely help reinforce that she's gotta listen. Where do you have the treats when you're training with her? If they're on your person, start training with them very close by, but not on you (like in a bowl on a counter). Then you can very slowly increase the distance (and by extension, time) between when she does something good and gets a treat. We had a dog that wouldn't listen at all unless he could see you were holding food, and eventually we got to the point where we could get him to sit or down or whatever in any room of the house, then he'd patiently (though very energetically) follow us to the kitchen to get his treat. Eventually you should be able to phase out treats entirely and only occasionally "tune-up" the dog by adding treats back in for a training session occasionally.

It'll also help if you start varying rewards and duration. So if she sits really nicely, count to three and give her a treat, then next time do it right away, next time count to five, etc. Basically you want to teach the dog that they can never be certain when a treat is coming. Also add in praise and pets as she is eating the treat and she'll start to associate those as higher value rewards in their own right. Then, start varying the number of treats, so sometimes she gets one, sometimes she gets two, sometimes if she's very attentive and quick to respond, she gets four or five. It really doesn't matter how big the treats are as long as they're something she wants, and that you only feed them to her one at a time. Dogs don't count unless you make them, so one piece of food and one handful of food given all at once both count as a single treat, so if you're giving her multiples, count them out one at a time. Eventually, once she knows she won't always get the same "level" of treats, you can add in praise or pets instead of food occasionally, and eventually once she's solid you should be able to just use praise or whatever.

As for her energy level, she may not need more exercise. Acting out isn't always a product of a dog having too much energy, it can be due to them being confused about what's being asked of them, overtiredness, stress, diet, lack of a "den" or bed, or any number of other random things. My guess is that if she's being a real pain right now, she might even out as she gets a bit older. You can, to a limited extent, train a dog to be calm, or at the very least to not lose their poo poo if they're not being constantly entertained. My current pup had a bad streak around six months where she would just start destroying things if you weren't entertaining her, and it took a few days of playing tug, then stopping completely and waiting until she stopped trying to climb us to get the toy back. We'd start playing again right away once she was (relatively) calm, and eventually we could stop playing with her and she'd just kind of hang out quietly until we started playing with her again. Dogs sort of hit an adolescent phase around 8-10 months where they start testing pack boundaries and crap like that, so some of them start behaving very weirdly. The breeder I get my dogs from told us that one out of every two or three dogs that she's had has been a bit of a nightmare for about a month around that time.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
As a greyhound owner I feel like I have a fundamentally different dog owning experience from everyone else. Our boy occasionally requires several minutes of exercise and mostly just tries to sleep in the stupidest position possible. He'll go for longer walks and stuff but he seems perfectly content to just lay on his bed for 20+ hours a day.

And the most he's ever "acted out" is to place our shoes in random locations throughout the house. He doesn't chew them or anything, just places them down in case we decide we need to suddenly put a shoe on while we're in the bathroom.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I've been looking at Greyhounds several times, but I also like to hike in the mountains and A) I think it might be too much for them? B) the 'no off-leash' thing is a bit of a deal breaker for me.

My Great Dane absolutely loves hiking.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I remember teaching my mutt to down-stay when he was maybe 1-1.5 years old, about a month or two after I got him. I'd give him the command, then turn my attention away (literally just looking at my computer instead of at him), and when the timer expired I'd treat him and let him run around a bit. At first as soon as I turned away from him after giving the command, he'd start whining/barking and trying to stand up, so I got maybe five seconds of "stay" out of him. But we gradually pushed it higher and higher. I think this helped train him on patience in general too, because nowadays he's pretty good at waiting for me to be ready for him.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

I've been looking at Greyhounds several times, but I also like to hike in the mountains and A) I think it might be too much for them? B) the 'no off-leash' thing is a bit of a deal breaker for me.

My Great Dane absolutely loves hiking.

I've done 10+ miles with mine and he's tuckered out at the end but can certainly do it. If you do it regularly I don't think it will be an issue. He refuses to run more than a mile though. And yeah I've only let him off leash in a fenced park or an area where it's impossible to get lost like a deserted beach.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

My girlfriend moved in with me this weekend and with her came her 9 year old Westie. Her mom has been lax with correcting any bad behavior and the dog basically was able to do whatever the gently caress she wanted whenever she wanted it. She would have the run of her apartment while she was at work and is in general not a great listener. She would also occasionally pee on the floor for no discernable reason but typically only overnight, not during the day when she was gone at work. The only other time she has accidents is when she would dog-sit for a friend and when they were staying she would pretty reliably have issues a couple of times. We mostly chalked that up to being in an unfamiliar space and away from my gf which she does not like to be. She is very very attached and basically follows her around everywhere when she's at home.

She'd been previously crate trained but that was years and years ago but we decided to bring that back to try and curb the peeing especially since we were pretty sure it would happen after they'd moved in. We tried to ease her back into it by giving her the going to work kong filled with peanut butter in her crate but without locking her in before they moved in with me. Just trying to positively associate leaving for work and her kong and the crate and it seemed to work ok. We also got some of these bones filled with peanut butter something or other from costco that we would only let her have in the crate. When we said Time for Bed! before leaving for work she would go in on her own and sometimes would post up in there herself before we were even ready to leave. That is going ok but she is a lot more resistant to going in because she knows now that she's getting locked in there for the day until we get back after work.

We've had a couple issues with mystery liquids the last couple of days. The other night before going to bed I found a wet spot on the comforter where I'd seen her laying earlier. My gf said it was pee but I didn't think it smelled pee nasty, more like wet dog nasty. It was also kind of a small spot. This morning we found another one of those spots on the bed (we let her sleep with us at night with the door closed) but this time I know for certain she was licking her paws before we all fully woke up. We were examining them in bed because we wanted to make sure she hadn't hurt herself or anything. My gf mentioned her sisters dog used to do this due to arthritis. After we got up though we found an actual pee spot where she'd been laying while we examined her. Not a fully released bladder but a little bit of a squirt which I'm assuming was due to us handling her paws? I'm also now not entirely convinced the wet spot the other night was actually pee.

So with all of that said, I was hoping to maybe get some advice on how to try and smooth out all these big changes for her. A lot of stuff is new and we're trying to start up some new routines like not letting her free feed because my cat wants to inhale her dry food. I've got a fan going and some music playing to try and make the new noises of my neighborhood a little less jarring for her while in the crate. Other than her kong she isn't super big into toys but I kind of want to try and find something to give her while she's in her crate if she gets bored or needs some company. Not really sure how to figure out what the best toys are going to be other than trial and error? Do dogs need company in their crate? I also want to try and get her to listen a bit better but she doesn't really seem super food motivated. I've tried a couple different types of high quality treats and even something like sit can take a few attempts. This kind of worries me if we're going to have to do some re-training around going to the bathroom. We've already taken her to the vet a few months ago to make sure she didn't have anything wrong that was making her pee.

Sorry for the e/n post! Any suggestions on helping her adjust well would be greatly appreciated! A lot of this feels like it might resolve itself as she gets comfortable in her new home but I've never owned a dog so I don't know how changes like this typically go.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

bamhand posted:

I've done 10+ miles with mine and he's tuckered out at the end but can certainly do it. If you do it regularly I don't think it will be an issue. He refuses to run more than a mile though. And yeah I've only let him off leash in a fenced park or an area where it's impossible to get lost like a deserted beach.

Ok, that's helpful. Still deciding on the leash issue. Hana could definitely do with a friend at home and I'm not sure I'm ready for another puppy.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

MockingQuantum posted:

As for her energy level, she may not need more exercise. Acting out isn't always a product of a dog having too much energy, it can be due to them being confused about what's being asked of them, overtiredness, stress, diet, lack of a "den" or bed, or any number of other random things. My guess is that if she's being a real pain right now, she might even out as she gets a bit older. You can, to a limited extent, train a dog to be calm, or at the very least to not lose their poo poo if they're not being constantly entertained. My current pup had a bad streak around six months where she would just start destroying things if you weren't entertaining her, and it took a few days of playing tug, then stopping completely and waiting until she stopped trying to climb us to get the toy back. We'd start playing again right away once she was (relatively) calm, and eventually we could stop playing with her and she'd just kind of hang out quietly until we started playing with her again. Dogs sort of hit an adolescent phase around 8-10 months where they start testing pack boundaries and crap like that, so some of them start behaving very weirdly. The breeder I get my dogs from told us that one out of every two or three dogs that she's had has been a bit of a nightmare for about a month around that time.
Thanks for the tips! We have been varying her rewards some, but all this info gives me some more options to work on. While treats work best, thankfully she's also really into praise and basically any form of attention so we've had some luck just by paying a lot of attention to good behaviors and ignoring her when she's a brat. (She went through a brief phase of demand barking which dropped off after maybe a week of turning our backs on her or leaving the room.) I'm definitely going to try that tug game, too.

There are times when it feels like every milestone is a struggle, but on the plus side, the things I was most worried about two months ago aren't even an issue anymore. She has really great self-control when it we're practicing down-stays or doing leave it with a treat, and she's just recently started "asking" for a nap by going down to her crate on her own, which makes me hope that all this constant activity is just a eager puppy thing that'll settle down over time.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Sorry for the e/n post! Any suggestions on helping her adjust well would be greatly appreciated! A lot of this feels like it might resolve itself as she gets comfortable in her new home but I've never owned a dog so I don't know how changes like this typically go.

It might take a couple of months to get settled. It sounds like you've got a handle on the situation.

They make a couple of different kinds of treat toys if you want to try mixing it up. You can also feed meals in the kennel, which helps with the routine. I got metal bowls for my dogs since one of them got bored and chewed up his plastic bowl while he was in his kennel one day. You can also feed meals in the kennel inside of a treat toy if you want to keep them really occupied.

I don't know what time your latest pee break is but you could try going out a little later if you think it might be pee accidents. Some people restrict water at night but I don't know if that's a recommended thing to do.

My hound dog sometimes leaves a wet spot from "doing her nails", she licks her toes clean and chews on her dew claws. But then again sometimes one of my dogs will leave a wet spot from going to town licking their butthole, which is way grosser.

Good call on getting her checked for medical pee problem. My little dog had a UTI and I didn't get her checked out until one day she peed in her sleep, on me. I thought it was either because she's smaller than the other two and I wasn't letting her out late enough or because she's a little poo poo who just likes peeing on stuff.

Ok, that's helpful. Still deciding on the leash issue. Hana could definitely do with a friend at home and I'm not sure I'm ready for another puppy.

I am very pro adult dog adoption. So far I've only adopted dogs in the 1.5 - 2.5 year range but I'd definitely consider older in the future.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

GoodBee posted:

I don't know what time your latest pee break is but you could try going out a little later if you think it might be pee accidents. Some people restrict water at night but I don't know if that's a recommended thing to do.

My hound dog sometimes leaves a wet spot from "doing her nails", she licks her toes clean and chews on her dew claws. But then again sometimes one of my dogs will leave a wet spot from going to town licking their butthole, which is way grosser.

Good call on getting her checked for medical pee problem. My little dog had a UTI and I didn't get her checked out until one day she peed in her sleep, on me. I thought it was either because she's smaller than the other two and I wasn't letting her out late enough or because she's a little poo poo who just likes peeing on stuff.
It actually looks like something might be wrong. We got her a toy she wore herself out tearing up and when we were going to go to bed we noticed she’d basically peed herself laying on the floor and it was plainly obvious. I hope it’s just a UTI even though we went to the vet a few months ago checking specifically for that. Hopefully it just came about coincidentally when they moved :/

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

It actually looks like something might be wrong. We got her a toy she wore herself out tearing up and when we were going to go to bed we noticed she’d basically peed herself laying on the floor and it was plainly obvious. I hope it’s just a UTI even though we went to the vet a few months ago checking specifically for that. Hopefully it just came about coincidentally when they moved :/

That sounds like my little dog. She was laying on the couch right next to me while I was watching TV and she was completely zonked out. Then my leg was wet and she didn't wake up until I poked her so I could clean up.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

GoodBee posted:

That sounds like my little dog. She was laying on the couch right next to me while I was watching TV and she was completely zonked out. Then my leg was wet and she didn't wake up until I poked her so I could clean up.

Yesterday morning my leg was a little damp but I figured it was due to the paw licking/my own sweat since its been warmer than normal overnight :/ I'm glad it happened when it did though so now we know for certain it's involuntary. UTI hadn't even occurred to us and hopefully that's what it ends up being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yesterday, Dexter’s left canine was loose.

Today, well...

Can’t imagine that feels good, poor guy.