Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
That little guy is delightful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Ever since we scored that Corolla II SR I've been trying to find more pictures of one like it. I have found 1 in the same color scheme but without the lower body cladding. Finally found another one with the extra body bits though:

Freakin' RIP. This one is an automatic with a standard 3A-U engine rather than the twin carb fancy 3A-SU one, so I guess the body cladding was just something you could add to any SR model? But not all SRs have it, as seen here on the only other one I've found:

The only place I've seen the alloys represented is on this single toy car photo:

Otherwise every Corolla II SR has the steel wheels with the black inserts. I guess what I'm really getting at is I'm going to make the ad "ULTRA RARE KNOW WHAT I GOT L@@K" when I go to sell it :v:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
As someone who stares at auctions all day long, who reads about JDM stuff all day. You got that unicorn brother. It don’t exist anywhere I see. Love it.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Who wants to play fireman? Scored this last night. 2,300 actual miles.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

Who wants to play fireman? Scored this last night. 2,300 actual miles.

lmao that owns hard. More so than anything you've bought we NEED detailed pictures of it and what its like to actually drive this thing.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Rear, not many pics Mat hovered over a few more in a video. Was rated a 4. No AC but no fire service vehicles have that. They’ve removed some equipment and radio. Was looking for one that had the normal bed and not a ton of pumps and stuff. 3700 actual verified km. Won it for crazy for what it is, had a 555 bid won for 335 usually these go for around 800.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sorry Kaker but you ain't gonna top that one.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Sorry Kaker but you ain't gonna top that one.

*KakerMix passed Rhyno his beer*

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I eagerly await the double decker bus that Kaker is going to buy tonight.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
If only you knew Rhyno what I bid on, actively trying to buy a Toyota Coaster or Nissan Civilian. Doing some hard looks at a super nice G Wagen tonight.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I absolutely love the white pinstriping on that fire truck. Awesome. I bet you make a mint on that one.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I bought a CRT

Auction Sheet posted:

at, ac, intercooled turbo, leather seats, sunroof not working, dashboard and console peeling, seats worn, interior slightly dirty, undercarriage surface rust, other dents scratches paint dull, paint peeling in front bumper area

Inspection Report posted:

battery dead, engine starts one shot, idles and revs fine, no timing belt sticker, no sludge, coolant ok, no oil leaks, surface rust spots in engine room, tires 40% but cracks, spare ok, no leaks mold or rust in trunk, undercarriage surface rust but no flaking or holes, paint dull, windshield chips small, drivers seat worn on door side, other seats ok, dashboard felt faded and loose, door trim faded and loose, ceilingl iner ok, no burns, ac ok, at no shock or lag, check lamps off, lights ok, mirrors ok, windows ok, wipers ok.

1988 Toyota Soarer 3.0 GT Limited with the 7M-GTEU and an automatic transmission. Digital gauges, leather seats, 240 hp (when new :v:) and a small CRT in the center. Oh it also has 32,000 km on it. Essentially it's a Supra but in a business suit. The sunroof isn't working but I'm pretty confident I can get it going, and that front bumper strip needs a repaint but otherwise I'm pretty stoked. If I had my way it would either be the Aero Cabin (only 500 of those made) or a 5 speed (no manual Aero Cabins), with the pearl paint and gold bottom section with the aero kit.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Seeing these little trucks modified for all sorts of interesting things is so cool and got me thinking about my own needs.

Are there any with a payload above 350kg? Is every model having that payload capacity possibly a manufacturers gentleman's agreement so they don't eat in to their half-ton sales? If so, any models that are known to be under rated?

The tiny size, dirt cheap pricing, and ability to covert to flat bed would make one of these so useful for me, but being able to regularly haul 500kg would be a bit of a necessity (and ideally able to go up to 700kg or so for a couple km of careful low speed driving without destroying anything).

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I have no doubt these kei trucks would be ok with 500kg but certainly my Hi ace or there are literally hundreds of different bigger trucks up daily that can do as much as you need.

Love Soarers Kaker warms my heart to see you getting random. What you going to do with that bumper?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
It's a little bit bigger than a kei, but the Bongo is a dually with a respectable load limit IIRC

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
You have tons of choices bigger trucks. Dynas canters elf’s oh my

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Field Tourer

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Oh no, they peeled those decals off?

Or did you ask them to?

Edit: my wife actually asked me to bid on that fire van and I kinda forgot to look at it, I just showed her the pics and she was like THAT'S THE ONE!

:hfive:

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 3, 2019

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
They took the old man stickers def did not ask for that, just to rant I’m about to rage and tell them I’m done and they can just hit me back with deposits. Me and my buddy are missing poo poo left and right just not getting back to us or forgetting to put bids in. I’ve spent nearly $100k bucks and I’m not happy. Going to sleep on it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Kreez posted:

Seeing these little trucks modified for all sorts of interesting things is so cool and got me thinking about my own needs.

Are there any with a payload above 350kg? Is every model having that payload capacity possibly a manufacturers gentleman's agreement so they don't eat in to their half-ton sales? If so, any models that are known to be under rated?

The tiny size, dirt cheap pricing, and ability to covert to flat bed would make one of these so useful for me, but being able to regularly haul 500kg would be a bit of a necessity (and ideally able to go up to 700kg or so for a couple km of careful low speed driving without destroying anything).

Kei trucks are so cheap that you could just get one and see how it does. I know they regularly loaded down with waaaaay over their rated capacity in so far as what the sticker says. I don't have any actual proof but I take it that the stickers that say the weight limits are just the legal ones, rather than the practical weight these things can move around. If you want to get one the Suzukis are the most prolific but you kinda can't go wrong with any of them be it Honda, Subaru or Daihatsu. As was mentioned though, something like a Lite Ace, Bongo or Delica (yeah they come in trucks) would satisfy tiny truck life but without so much of the compromises of a kei. The Bongo we had was a truck bigboy car that could go on the highway. A bit more expensive than a kei truck, but a bit more capable.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Oh no, they peeled those decals off?

Or did you ask them to?

Edit: my wife actually asked me to bid on that fire van and I kinda forgot to look at it, I just showed her the pics and she was like THAT'S THE ONE!

:hfive:

They are magnets and I just assume that the people take them off to keep them, though I wonder why they leave them on when they sell them. I don't have the one that was on my Joy Pop either, but eh. If I wanted it badly enough I'd order one and put it back on.

everdave posted:

They took the old man stickers def did not ask for that, just to rant I’m about to rage and tell them I'm done and they can just hit me back with deposits. Me and my buddy are missing poo poo left and right just not getting back to us or forgetting to put bids in. I've spent nearly $100k bucks and I'm not happy. Going to sleep on it.

Quite opposite of my experience and the couple other people outside of SA that I've turned on to JCD.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 3, 2019

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I am friends with my guy but it’s getting ugly. I get better treatment than my buddy but he’s won and paid for one I’ve won line 12 now. I don’t want to talk out my rear end but we are getting upset. My buddy had a 975 bid on a cruiser that sold for 6 something that got forgot to put in. I am either getting inspections after auction over or just not hearing poo poo back til I ask. I do not get port pics unless I ask 100%, at this point I’m not amateur hour look at what I’ve bought

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
How does the price on this seem to you?
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-honda-beat-22/
If the rust isn't too bad on the underbody, seems like a good deal.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

everdave posted:

I am friends with my guy but it’s getting ugly. I get better treatment than my buddy but he’s won and paid for one I’ve won line 12 now. I don’t want to talk out my rear end but we are getting upset. My buddy had a 975 bid on a cruiser that sold for 6 something that got forgot to put in. I am either getting inspections after auction over or just not hearing poo poo back til I ask. I do not get port pics unless I ask 100%, at this point I’m not amateur hour look at what I’ve bought

Sounds like you should take a break honestly. Leave it a couple months without even looking and try again later.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I am getting a little fed up too with just not getting information back unless I ask or getting inspections back like... One minute before an auction?

It's weird too I think I am just having bad luck because I'll bid like 400,000 on some kinda ratty hiace and then it ends up selling for 600,000 but then whenever I don't bid it seems they sell for like half of that.

Mat keeps telling me I have to bid more but I am like can't I just get one of these for like 350000?

I don't want to get into a bidding war and drop like 8-9 grand to get a van... It's just a van.

Definitely understand that I am small fry in this compared to most people bidding but it still sucks when they are openly just sorta half paying attention and missing poo poo, then telling me I need to bid more.

Like when he told me I bid too low on the last hiace... Then sent me the additional hi res pics. After the auction was over. Like uh yeah I would have bid a lot higher if I had seen those before the auction? It's extra frustrating too because they still have both my deposit and like 600,000 yen from reselling that rusty hiace I bought.

I could ask for it back but I want to get a van dammit!

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Kei trucks are so cheap that you could just get one and see how it does. I know they regularly loaded down with waaaaay over their rated capacity in so far as what the sticker says. I don't have any actual proof but I take it that the stickers that say the weight limits are just the legal ones, rather than the practical weight these things can move around. If you want to get one the Suzukis are the most prolific but you kinda can't go wrong with any of them be it Honda, Subaru or Daihatsu. As was mentioned though, something like a Lite Ace, Bongo or Delica (yeah they come in trucks) would satisfy tiny truck life but without so much of the compromises of a kei. The Bongo we had was a truck bigboy car that could go on the highway. A bit more expensive than a kei truck, but a bit more capable.

Cool, hearing that I think it's worth giving a shot. The extra foot width of the bigger trucks like the Bongo make them a deal breaker for my situation. When I get a couple days where I'm not rammed I'll poke around what's available locally, looks like it's a 50/50 split between private sales selling older well loved and seemingly well maintained trucks, and importers selling low mileage 2000+ stuff fresh off the boat.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Sounds like they've gotten too popular and taken on too much work.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Charles posted:

Sounds like they've gotten too popular and taken on too much work.

I mean, there's like 10 goons doing this now right? And I know three guys locally into it as well. It's just going to get more crowded and competitive.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
The one singular difference between everdave, wilfredmerriweathr and I in regards to Japan Car Direct is that both everdave and wilfred have Mat as their guy, where I have Yoshi. I've got nothing but positive things to say about Yoshi, and the two other people outside of SA that I've sent to JCD have also gotten Yoshi, and both of them have bought. One guy has bought two vehicles (Land Cruiser 70 and a KZ HiAce) while the other dude bought a 70s Bluebird. They both are having good times too.

Fairly certain that JCD more acts like some sort of financial backing while Yoshi and Mat operate more or less independent of each other, and probably even minor competitors. It very well might be that, as Charles suggests, that they have a bit too much work and not enough staff. Their instagram has shown that they have hired a third person though, so we'll see how that changes things. Basically I'm just as happy with JCD and Yoshi as I always have been, Yoshi owns.

EDIT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOz1apmT5U4

GORGEOUS
SPORTY
HIGREAD

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 5, 2019

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

When I was initially considering going through JCD and importing a car I was working with Yoshi. He was really awesome, always prompt and seemed to make the extra effort on anything I asked. My boss that imported the HJ61 Diesel LC also had Yoshi and it was a fairly painless process as well.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah, I was looking at some vehicles a while back when Mat was on vacation so they had me deal with Yoshi, and Yoshi was definitely waaaaaaay more prompt, responsive, and all around hassle-free to work with.

I was wondering how they divvy their customers up, to be honest.

Edit: I should clarify, sometimes Mat is great to work with, but you can never really tell when he might be flaky or straight up forget to respond/do something you need or if he's going to be on point. And generally speaking, the swings happen often enough that you can never really be sure whether or not he's forgotten or just gotten busy.

I definitely get the feeling that he, at least, is overwhelmed at times.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 5, 2019

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
Just wanted to say I've been dealing with Yoshi all of last month while waiting for the right car to pop-up. I had many inspections done and he was always quick to provide translations, of both the sheet and inspections, to me asap and get back to me if I had any questions.

Also yes I had the "issue" where I put in a low-ball max-bid initially for the first few cars (I think like 240k yen) and they were all going for like 260-300k, so then upped my max bid to 360k and ended up spending 354k.:11tea: Granted the car I won is in slightly better condition that the cheaper ones I lost out on but I think it's just 10% understanding/reading the market + 90% luck.

Also, I'm importing my car to New Zealand and using Autohub as the export/import broker because apparently we're a bit different (Yoshi's words) when it comes to the whole process. Ship gets into port in two weeks time, once I've gone thru registration process with it here I'll do a complete end-to-end write up as well for all you NZ people/lurkers.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

I was looking into the whole JDM thing last year and got Mat, who seemed nice to begin with but after a couple of back and forth emails just stopped responding entirely. Kinda turned me off the whole thing, never bothered with it again. He was also fairly insistent that I ship to a port in Germany despite it not being a particularly convenient one for me :shrug:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I dont know if this will piss Mat off, but I was waiting for a response and translation on a car that was about to go today and he just wasn't getting back to me, so I sent an email explaining that to Yoshi and in 15min I had a translation and a very nice 'please let me know if you need anything else' from Yoshi.

Turned out there was a problem with some of the glass not being sealed so I won't be bidding on it but that was a really nice assist from Yoshi. At this point I am going to go with the guy who I know will actually respond.

Edit: this is loving classic - Mat just responded... With a video translation of a bunch of e46 BMWs. That's not quite what I asked for, hahahaha!

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 7, 2019

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I dont know if this will piss Mat off

What’s he going to do, stop talking to you?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Midjack posted:

What’s he going to do, stop talking to you?

Hahaha, zing!!!
In all seriousness I am just curious about their dynamic at jcd. It can't be the first time someone just ditched Mat for Yoshi. Check out my edit, lmao at this poo poo. It's also not the first time that I've received the wrong translations from him - everyone makes mistakes, but considering the car I was inquiring about goes up for auction in 20min that could make or break a sale.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 7, 2019

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Dock Pics Time

Needs some details taken care of, front bumper obviously, but the emergency brake boot is hella gross too. Seats look rad and ultra future, dashboard cluster and CRT monitor situation are cool as hell. We've got TEMS along with auto-height adjust. Steering wheel controls for both the heat and AC (not exactly sure but it has the source button right on it so ???) and I believe radio controls. Also did include the air purifier option. And the best part, that odometer that reads 31,940 km :getin:

EDIT
Also those tires goddamn

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 7, 2019

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Is that crt a touchscreen, Buick reatta style?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Finally got a hiace that looks good! 238,000yen, October 1994 manufacture so I gotta wait a couple months but probably worth it.

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-moPiyHUoCoqdEV.htm

(Sorry about the double post!)

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Cool man, whats the details, it have the hot/cold box or anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I have no details on that, there were no further pictures, all I know is that aside from some paint fade on the roof it's supposedly pretty mint on the exterior, "rust basically nonexistent" is what Mat said for the underside. There is a squealing fan belt, but timing belt was done regularly, sounds like it's got records, 290k on it now but timing belt was last done just after 200k. "Not too much tobacco smell" on the inside and slightly dirty were the only comments the inspector had.

Going to have them replace the squealing belt and change the fluids but aside from that it seems solid enough. Hoping the previous owners took good care of it.

All the wife and I could tell is that it doesn't have the sonar backup stuff, and that Mat stated it has the "middle bench" so I guess it's probably not the highest optioned super-custom ltd.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 8, 2019