Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I’ll fight someone over a Marie Callender’s Coconut Creme Pie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Realtalk try Michael's, at least for frozen lasagna, chicken parm, and eggplant parm. Surprisingly decent. This post was brought to you by the frozen fast food consortium, working to decrease the number of cherries in frozen cherry pies and increase the number of fingernails.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I lost faith in the frozen dinner/pie segment when Stouffer's discontinued their veal parmigiana entree. Nowhere else could you get a veal dinner for less than $3.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
https://twitter.com/jaconi/status/1158639958552395776?s=21

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

THE RENT IS TOO...high?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I’m honestly curious as to what the endgame is with Manhattan real estate when loving Barney’s and Saks and Ralph Lauren can’t pay the rent.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I just found out earlier this year that they had actual restaurants

Their frozen meals are good and cheap but the last time I went to one of thwir restaurants I literally laughed at what they charged me when I got the bill. It was like 2-2.5X what I was used to paying for that sort of food.

In other words I'm glad they are gonna die. Still butthurt about Fry's tho.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I’m honestly curious as to what the endgame is with Manhattan real estate when loving Barney’s and Saks and Ralph Lauren can’t pay the rent.

An urban wasteland populated by warring tribes of cannibals.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I lost faith in the frozen dinner/pie segment when Stouffer's discontinued their veal parmigiana entree. Nowhere else could you get a veal dinner for less than $3.

That begs the question: Why eat a $3 veal dinner? Veal shouldn't be that cheap.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, there's no loving way that was actually veal.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

UP UP UP

That's it. Just up.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Yeah, there's no loving way that was actually veal.

It was probably the worst possible cuts, at like 0.2lb of actual veal and 0.5lb of sauce.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

UP UP UP

That's it. Just up.

Yeah :lol: at the idea of “endgame.” No, nowadays the hot strategy is to cover your ears and run out of the room when faced with the idea of profit being finite.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Endgame is defined as the end of next quarter.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Endgame is scarfing down $3 veal meals and missing them.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm going to build a skyscraper out of $3 veal.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I have to imagine big city rents have something to do with securitizing assets. If you can value your property at X then you can borrow against those assets or sell shares in it. The landlords may not find anyone to fill Barney's space, but the fact they're charging nearly 30 million a year means their property is worth that much more. Sort of.

And if you're charging 30 million for your space then everyone nearby thinks their property is worth more and everyone raises prices. If the economy is doing really well that hides any supply disparities because there's usually someone with more money than sense who will pay the inflated prices. Lucky for us Trump is doing his damndest to bring NYC rents back down again.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Saks actually owns their flagship 5th avenue store's real estate. It looks like Barneys did too until 2001 when they sold it :confused:. As part of the agreement the buyer was restricted from rasing rent until 2019.

I think this is the landlord trying to kick them out. There was probably some agreement in the sale saying they couldn't be evicted as long as they made rent, and as soon as there was an option to raise it they took it. If you have a good tenant that is paying you regularly and on time for the last 18 years there's no real incentive to get them out. There has to be something else going on behind the scenes.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

buddhist nudist posted:

I imagine even if Best Buy goes into a spiral, it will always be able to survive as long as it's the only dedicated electronics/appliance shop in town (like, say, my town)

It was in a spiral, I think we talked about it in this thread a few years back. All of a sudden they're functional and running smoothly again somehow.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Office space for startups. Gotta burn that venture capital cash somehow.

No, seriously.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Business Insider has the story of Moviepass, and Matt Levine at Bloomberg summarises it wonderfully:

Matt Levine posted:

For instance, under founder Stacy Spikes, MoviePass charged $50 a month for its service, but couldn’t get enough subscribers to break even. Then it was acquired by Helios & Matheson Analytics, whose chief executive officer, Ted Farnsworth, came up with the idea of charging much less:

Business Insider posted:

Why Farnsworth settled on $10 is unclear. Several people told me he wanted a price that would grab headlines. ...

But in July 2017, the MoviePass board agreed to the deal. And on August 15, the price drop went into effect. Thanks to word-of-mouth buzz and press attention, within two days subscriptions jumped from about 20,000 to 100,000. MoviePass had transformed from a scrappy startup trying to keep the lights on to a disrupter in the making.

What an amazing sentence. It went from being “a scrappy startup trying to keep the lights on” (bad) to a buzzy “disrupter in the making” (good) by giving up on trying to keep the lights on. The trick is not to make enough money to cover your costs; it’s to stop trying. Losing a lot of money is better than losing a little money; it has more panache, attracts more attention, certainly gives you that attractive hockey-stick user growth. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure three hundred million pounds, result unicorn.

anyone in this thread should definitely read both

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

ryonguy posted:

It was in a spiral, I think we talked about it in this thread a few years back. All of a sudden they're functional and running smoothly again somehow.

They got a new CEO who wasn't looking to pad his golden parachute. Also fixed their inventory system so people could actually tell what was in stock, and started price-matching Amazon for showrooming customers to capture the sale.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
With how lovely the forums are running today, is it too early to say Something Awful is circling the drain?

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

Iron Crowned posted:

With how lovely the forums are running today, is it too early to say Something Awful is circling the drain?

It's never to late to blame radium.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

divabot posted:

Business Insider has the story of Moviepass,

My friend worked customer/technical support doing calls and tickets for MoviePass right after the Helios takover and their huge subscriber burst. If you ever called support you might have talked to him. (all of their support staff where contractors working from home by the way) It was a shitshow internally from day one. Policies where changing regularly and the customer support people where the last ones to be told. Sometimes customers knew of policy changes before support did. It got MUCH worse near the end when they started restricting what movies where available, the show times, introduced the "demand" charges, etc.. He stayed on the project until they ended phone support entirely and went with "Chats" only. (FYI, starting a Chat just opened a ticket up in their ticket system, from what I could see they didn't get treated any differently, this is why it would sometimes take a day or more for a agent to answer a "chat".)

One of their biggest burst of subscribers came from the Costco promotion.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Please, these dead forums are so dead that being someone who lives outside US timezones I have to go to Reddit just to see what the next new meme or funny picture will be since it will be posted here within the next coming week. Or if I want to get more than two replies per day to any ongoing discussion.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

To bring back Subway chat from a few pages ago, I just saw they now have milkshakes which sounds like just the worst.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Just dip your foot long in your milkshake and eat it that way if you're a disgusting enough piece of poo poo to eat at Subway in the first place.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

Basticle posted:

To bring back Subway chat from a few pages ago, I just saw they now have milkshakes which sounds like just the worst.

What if we replace our rubber meat?

Nah put in a milkshake machine. That’ll fix it. Come for the rubber meat, stay for the beetus.

But Subway has the best drat chocolate chip cookies in the fast food industry.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Basticle posted:

It's not too weird to me because a lot of the Subways near me are half ice cream store anyway, but google says Goodrich is only in like half a dozen states so I guess it's a weird mix to most people.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Late on Microcenter/Fry's chat, but in the Chicago area, Microcenter is the way and the life if you need computer poo poo, and Fry's tried to ape them but had a bad habit of re-shrinkwrapping stuff returned as defective.
If I need computer stuff, it's microcenter, appliances is Costco or home Depot, and I'm not sure how Fry's or best buy are still alive.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

You people are making me jealous. I just looked up Microcenter, and I either have to go to NYC or Boston to go to one, none are in CT.

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Star Wars Is Struggling to Win Over the Next Generation of Kids

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-08-07/star-wars-is-struggling-to-win-over-the-marvel-generation

"Walt Disney Co.’s underwhelming theme-park attendance last quarter was the latest sign that the intergalactic saga isn’t resonating for younger generations raised on Iron Man and Fortnite. Chief Executive Officer Bob Iger was so sure fans would be blasting through the door that he had instituted a reservation system for visitors to enter Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, the new attraction at Disneyland. It turned out not to be necessary.

Star Wars toy sales popped with 2015’s “The Force Awakens,” the start of a trilogy that united Han, Luke and Leia with a new band of heroes, but have slumped since. “Solo: A Star Wars Story,” last year’s spinoff featuring the backstory of beloved characters, utterly bombed. “The Last Jedi,” the second in the new trilogy, was profitable but fell shy of its predecessor’s performance. The next installment, “The Rise of Skywalker,” will have the very future of the franchise riding on it when it debuts in December."

"'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toy sales boosted sales in 2015, and the company had hoped for continuing success. The film saw beloved characters Chewbacca, Han Solo, Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia, reunited alongside new heroes Rey and Poe Dameron. It was the fastest film to reach a billion dollars after 12 days but later would surpassed by Avengers: Infinity War, according to Box Office Mojo.

Overall the total worldwide income from the film brought in $2.06 billion, but the sequels would struggle to reach those same heights. But 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' earned $1.33 billion in 2017, making it profitable but not as successful. And 2018 spin-off 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' earned just $392 million, according to the Mojo.

Disney hopes upcoming film 'Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker' will be a big hit upon its release in December. "

"Toys for 'The Last Jedi' also struggled to make the cut, with manufacturers Hasbro Inc. claiming that they made a mistake, according to Bloomberg. Their Chief Executive Brian Goldner admitted they should not have started marketing the toys months ahead of the film's December 2017 release. Goldner added that then, during the lead-up to Christmas, other toys described as a 'an array of entertainment initiatives' came onto the market.
Despite troubling signs, Igner believes the 'Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge' attractions will be a success."

I was never a huge fan of star wars but I did enjoy the originals for what they were, but once Disney bought the franchise, it was inevitable that it was going to be pimped out as hardcore as they could for every last cent from the dedicated fan base. But how much can they rely on those older fans continuously if newer generations just don't give much of a gently caress about Star Wars unlike the new hotness of Marvel movies? I mean, to make your 'own lightsaber' at the Edge of the Galaxy attraction costs $200 and break super easily. People were expecting to see characters roaming around but apparently its more like random droids. Disney is just shooting itself in the foot churning out too much too fast, but maybe its too late to stop people just not giving a gently caress anymore.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I am looking forward to when Disney gets really desperate in like 2026 and releases Star Wars: The Beep that Booped a movie that features only Ewoks and a bunch of BB-8s that ends on a cliffhanger where all the main characters need somebody to buy them to help them escape certain death.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

"Massively successful film slightly less successful than predecessor. Is the franchise failing???"

Ok.

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Moon Slayer posted:

"Massively successful film slightly less successful than predecessor. Is the franchise failing???"

Ok.

Yeah thats totally what the post was about, spot on, chum!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

There's absolutely nothing in that article to back up the assertion that it's "struggling to win over the next generation of kids." Toy sales slightly down because Hasbro made a mistake and theme park attendance lower than expected doesn't circling the drain make. Even Solo was a profitable movie. Star Wars is doing fine.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
The shareholders demand blood.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I am looking forward to when Disney gets really desperate in like 2026 and releases Star Wars: The Beep that Booped a movie that features only Ewoks and a bunch of BB-8s that ends on a cliffhanger where all the main characters need somebody to buy them to help them escape certain death.

Movie theaters of the future are going to be audience participation, where every seat will have vote buttons and a credit card reader. You have to buy credit and throughout the movie you'll get to vote on how the story goes and you'll even be able to buy toys/merch as soon as you see it on the screen. If you're a superfan of BB-8 now you can invest live into your Star Wars movie-watching experience and have him appear in random scenes in the movie even though he doesn't need to be there. Microtransactions for ideal enjoyment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Moon Slayer posted:

There's absolutely nothing in that article to back up the assertion that it's "struggling to win over the next generation of kids." Toy sales slightly down because Hasbro made a mistake and theme park attendance lower than expected doesn't circling the drain make. Even Solo was a profitable movie. Star Wars is doing fine.
Solo was not profitable. They took a loss on it.

I do think that some of the SW alarmism is a bit much, but as far as toy sales being lower, isn’t that also because more kids just have tablets and stuff? I see that all the time now.