Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

He said something like she came 3 times, which seems a tall order for the guy who barely lasted three thrusts in the one event we saw screen. Its admittedly a crack theory but there is some disconnect in his sexuality on screen and what we are told he's done to Becca.

His relationship with Queen Maeve is obviously a little suspect too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Rubellavator posted:

I haven't read the comics but it was my understanding that homelander really thinks that he's the one who is doing all these bad things when it's really black noir. Also, black noir is his clone so the baby looking like him is not surprising.

That's the case in the comics, but I'm betting they're gonna do something different in the show or it seems like it so far, at least.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
So far Black Noir hasn't done anything particularly heinous. Even Homelander praised him.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Panfilo posted:

So far Black Noir hasn't done anything particularly heinous. Even Homelander praised him.

If homelander praises him, we REALLY ought to be concerned about what he's been up to behind the scenes (aside from making a VCU film with Seth Rogen)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Rubellavator posted:

He said something like she came 3 times, which seems a tall order for the guy who barely lasted three thrusts in the one event we saw screen. Its admittedly a crack theory but there is some disconnect in his sexuality on screen and what we are told he's done to Becca.

His relationship with Queen Maeve is obviously a little suspect too.

If I'm not mistaken we don't authoritatively know what happened with Becca was non-consensual. We only have some footage from afterwards, outside the room and the word of a CIA operative who wanted to recruit him to go on. Butcher is far from a reliable narrator at the best of times, and may have been actively deceived. And in either event, Homelander wouldn't be the first guy to exaggerate his performance; there's probably Lascaux cave paintings where Ugg the Caveman overstated his prowess.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Homie's experience with Stillwell seemed less virginal and more "oh god I'm finally loving this mother figure I've always wanted to gently caress," to me

edit for tags

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 7, 2019

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

I loved it when the fish guy Louis CK'd the Iowa gal

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This show is so well done, it makes me hate the new season of Preacher even more. Only two episodes in and it's a disjointed mess, and "God" doing an in-show ad for Diet Dr. Pepper is a little much.

Yeah I have no idea what Cassidy is doing this season. Like leave at night dude, I’d hope you get how being a vampire works by now.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This show is so well done, it makes me hate the new season of Preacher even more. Only two episodes in and it's a disjointed mess, and "God" doing an in-show ad for Diet Dr. Pepper is a little much.

Yeah I have no idea what Cassidy is doing this season. Like leave at night dude, I’d hope you get how being a vampire works by now.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea Homelander has one seriously hosed up oedipal complex in the show.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Phenotype posted:

Scenes like the super who accidentally crushes the guy's head under her rear end

That guy was such a nice dweeb. I felt bad for him. I knew he was toast the second he accepted the invite. At least it was an accident and he died doing what he loved until the head explode.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Compound V is a hell of a drug.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Homie's experience with Stillwell seemed less virginal and more "oh god I'm finally loving this mother figure I've always wanted to gently caress," to me

edit for tags

That was my take too

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

McSpanky posted:

I think the unspoken caveat here is that the government/military would have gotten them before they became power-drunk unstable assholes and such.
I can't think of a lot of things that would gently caress someone up worse than being raised in a lab by a military contractor. But being raised in a lab by the CIA is one of those things.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rubellavator posted:

I liked season 1, I had a couple of theories while I was watching that turned into deadends and some new ones after I finished and read about the differences with the comics.

I thought the reason that A-train never recognized Hughie was because they used Doppelganger to do the apology and handshake instead of wasting A-trains time.

Im also wondering if it was indeed black noir who raped Becca, just because of how virginal Homelanders experience with Stillerman was.

the first is to show a-train didn't actually care. a "for me it was tuesday" situation.

the second is how i read the scene and why they may still be keeping the comic storyline partly.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

the second is how i read the scene and why they may still be keeping the comic storyline partly.

That wouldn't surprise me either. Casting an actor as Black Noir serves a double purpose. First, it throws people off the scent of the twist. In the comics we get it when BN shoots down the airliner at Herogasm; because Homelander is at an orgy at the time you don't question why he's flying around naked. Second, it has the extra benefit of not having to shoot scenes twice to duplicate him.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

I can't think of a lot of things that would gently caress someone up worse than being raised in a lab by a military contractor. But being raised in a lab by the CIA is one of those things.

Starlight shows it's not impossible to raise someone with superpowers and have them turn out okay. Just let them live as normal a life as posssible, and then recruit them when they become adults.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Crimpolioni posted:

Starlight shows it's not impossible to raise someone with superpowers and have them turn out okay. Just let them live as normal a life as posssible, and then recruit them when they become adults.

She managed to be alright growing up as the equivalent of a child pageant starlet with an helicopter mom, so even better than that.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Honestly Starlight should be a super hosed up Republican Christian fascist with all the ungodly pressure and poo poo she was subjected to.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really appreciate that while Starlight starts out as a victim she arcs into a totally believable badass.

I appreciate the lip service they paid to her fighting technique (“and the Tae Kwan Do!”) because it always bums me out when super strong people don’t also know how to fight.

This was first pointed out to me 20 years ago in the issue of Preacher where Jesse beats Cassidy’s rear end in a fist fight while yelling that at him.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Just finished this last night, what a fuckin ride. Some of the beats are easy to see coming if you've ever read Garth Ennis but there are some great twists, I loved the Mesmer stairwell fakeout.

Crimpolioni posted:

My takeaway was that it was the Vought celebrity circus that hosed them up more than the superpowers. It's implied that Maeve was just like Starlight before she got burned out on everything, and I think the Deep's scenes show that he cares enough that he could have been a good guy.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

So, regarding the big confrontation in the final episode: Homelander totally let Stillwell's baby die, didn't he?

I ended up liking this way more than I expected. All the actors were very good, Homelander was perfectly done, the gore and weirdness was suitable for the tone of the show without being egregious, and it was funny without being cheesy. Looking forward to season 2.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That kid was done the moment Stillwell asked Homelander to get him away and not to get *Homelander and the kid* to safety.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
He was never in danger though.

Another reason why I think they're going in a different direction to Black Noir from the comics.

We see him get his rear end fairly put out of balance by the Female (idk her show name) so I don't think it's likely he's Homelander's clone, who appears to be much more powerful than the comic version.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bedshaped posted:

He was never in danger though.
Not the point at all, homie.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Yeah I'm really curious what the twist is going to be, because Homelander seems dangerously crazy and completely out of the league of every super powered person we've been introduced to so far. In the books Maeve is supposed to be about on his level at least strength wise. I guess there's some possibility that a new one or one of the terrorists will be able to go toe to toe with him but at the moment there's not much stopping him from just grinding every person who gets in his way to dust besides the sheer boredom of it.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yeah I'm really curious what the twist is going to be, because Homelander seems dangerously crazy and completely out of the league of every super powered person we've been introduced to so far. In the books Maeve is supposed to be about on his level at least strength wise. I guess there's some possibility that a new one or one of the terrorists will be able to go toe to toe with him but at the moment there's not much stopping him from just grinding every person who gets in his way to dust besides the sheer boredom of it.

She is? Sure didn't seem like it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
In the books it's *implied* that Maeve is "almost his equal" or somesuch.

People say the same about Wonder Woman, since she's technically a mythological being conjured/sustained by divine mojo/magic, she should theoretically be able to kick Superman's rear end, but never has, and every so often DC loves to show that Superman is so unimaginably powerful that any comparison is meaningless.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

Mat Cauthon posted:

In the books Maeve is supposed to be about on his level at least strength wise.

In the comics the only one that's equal/stronger than Homelander is Black Noir. Every hero is afraid of pissing HL because he will manhandle/laser eye them. Near the end of the comic run Maeve pushes Starlight off the Seven's base, attacks HL with her sword which breaks on impact, and then HL punches her head clean off her shoulders. Homelander throws the head past Starlight before he goes to face Stilwell.

Black Noir punches Homelander's jaw off before ripping him apart

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Just in-universe propaganda, given how things go down.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Diverging from the comics in regards to Black Noir opens them up to do a lot more other things for Season 2. Among the possibilities:
-Black Noir is still the 'failsafe' against Homelander, but isn't necessarily a clone, maybe his real superpower is just brain rays that kill Homelander dead or something.

-Doppleganger being more relevant in events that didn't necessarily reveal him (though this would kind of be a cop-out to have flashbacks that were 'suprise it wasn't [person] all along!'.

-Starlight ending up more powerful than she was in the comics, as we see her survive .50cal rounds and who knows how strong her light attacks could be with enough juice to draw from.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Panfilo posted:

Diverging from the comics in regards to Black Noir opens them up to do a lot more other things for Season 2. Among the possibilities:
-Black Noir is still the 'failsafe' against Homelander, but isn't necessarily a clone, maybe his real superpower is just brain rays that kill Homelander dead or something.

I bet it going to be something like a piece of Homelander-kryptonite Vough developed just in case.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BIG HEADLINE posted:

After Homelander, she's definitely the toughest supe we've seen on the show. Stopped that armored car and didn't even flinch.
Translucent would be next, but :rip:.
Then I guess The Deep since he can swim down to 2 miles and not get crushed by the pressure and Starlight(taking .50 cal shots, getting punched by A-Train and not ending up like Robin).
So really that just leaves A-Train(compound V force I don't gotta explain poo poo?) and Black Noir(Kamiko cut him once or twice with her nails in their fight) as the least durable members of The Seven.

Panfilo posted:

I really want to see this now.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Interesting to note about compound V is that it is rather harmful to adults in the long run. It eventually gives A Train a heart attack I assume. Homelander also mentioned it took a bunch of tries to get some terrorist Superheroes. I think the reason Homelander is the most powerful among the Supes is because it was given to him as an embryo, so I bet the earlier you get it the greater and more stable the super powers are.

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 9, 2019

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Panfilo posted:

Interesting to note about compound V is that it is rather harmful to adults in the long run. It eventually gives A Train a heart attack I assume. Homelander also mentioned it took a bunch of tries to get some terrorist Superheroes. I think the reason Homelander is the most powerful among the Supes is because it was given to him as an embryo, so I bet the rape you get it the greater and more stable the super powers are.

You might want to reword that last sentence. You seem to have changed your flow partway through it. I don't disagree with anything you said, though.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I'm ten issues into The Boys and it's really disappointing so far. There are some good bits but it's so Garth Ennis juvenile that it just undercuts everything it tries to do. Gay this, gay that, the villain's entire motivation was that he hates gays, the superhero was caught being gay and now he's very sorry and has to leave the team (really? even in the nineties or aughts I wouldn't have thought Wolverine would have gotten kicked out of the X-men for banging some dude), the other superhero haha omg you guys he just can't stop loving things haha lol we're so funny. Homelander makes much less sense in the comics, he's the one who forces Starlight to blow him but he's talking about truth, justice, and the American way right up until he drops his pants, so it's like why is he putting on this act in private? It's because Garth Ennis is kind of a hack and wanted the abrupt transition to "Now suck my dick."

The TV show is much, much better than what I've seen so far. Ennis is one of those artists like Justin Roiland where he really, really needs a co-writer or editor that's able to say no to him. Left to his own devices he just ends up playing around in the poo poo he writes, and unlike Roiland he's not even that inventive, it's just sex and gore and shock value.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Jedit posted:

You might want to reword that last sentence. You seem to have changed your flow partway through it. I don't disagree with anything you said, though.

Weird typo thanks

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
Homelander is genetically Stormfront's son too, in addition to getting pumped of V while in the womb. Kinda wanna see how they're going to handle this bit when FemStormfront is introduced in the series.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Then I guess The Deep since he can swim down to 2 miles and not get crushed by the pressure and Starlight(taking .50 cal shots, getting punched by A-Train and not ending up like Robin).

Is it a .50 cal that she gets hit with? It seems like rubber bullets or some other kind of non-lethal round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

According to IMFDB it's a .50BMG rifle, the aptly acronymed Serbu BFG-50A.

That would be an extremely unusual caliber to find a less-than-lethal munition for, and even if the bullet were made of rubber, it would be at best severely injuring for a normal human at the kind of range Butcher was shooting Starlight

Worth noting it's the same weapon used in the failed attempt to kill a caged Translucent.