Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS0mM2TnT7A

Something Cramer...Bear Stearns...you probably know the clip already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Dow up 300

More like doomsgay economics

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

ikanreed posted:

Lol. Just read how major trading firms are switching to "model free" neural nets for market planning.

And while economic models are indeed full of poo poo, letting computers drive themselves entirely by functional analysis is a great way to separate number even more from reality

Looking forward to the trading equivalent of this:

Popular Mechanics posted:

A program designed to simulate efficient ways of braking an aircraft as it landed on an aircraft carrier learned that by maximizing the force on landing—the opposite of its actual goal—the variable holding that value would overflow and flip to zero, creating a practically catastrophic, but technically perfect solution.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Doomsday Economics: a practically catastrophic, but technically perfect solution

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

RIP Syndrome posted:

Looking forward to the trading equivalent of this:

I love these things, is there a name for this situation where a computer is tasked with solving a problem and does so by blowing up the earth or killing all humans?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

I love these things, is there a name for this situation where a computer is tasked with solving a problem and does so by blowing up the earth or killing all humans?

Let's call it SKYNET

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

Praxis

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

all is right up in the world again

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

it happens often enough and is interesting enough that it should have a snappy name but i havent seen anything besides like "poor specification of objective functions"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

daft
Oct 16, 2012
Good for number to keep fighting, very American

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man
Breathe a sigh of relief. NUMBER is back operating at full efficiency. Low prices!

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Poco posted:

Breathe a sigh of relief. NUMBER is back operating at full efficiency. Low prices!

i mean, you cannot honestly say the price isn't low.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 8, 2019

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Epic High Five posted:

I think the technical term is "cheating".

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

The source video for this owns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr3Vq5lO9CY

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
courtesy of yospos

https://twitter.com/MikeIsaac/status/1159557533607981056

Pinterest Mom posted:

the initial leak said the loss was mostly one-time ipo related right

which, true, but "Excluding stock-based compensation, Uber’s losses were around $1.3 billion, roughly 30% worse than in the preceding quarter."

so many people buying expected the non-sbc loss to be smaller or trending in the other direction

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Epic High Five posted:

there was a google docs spreadsheet or something kicking around for a while that listed a bunch of them with references and was fuckin hilarious, wish I could find it now. poo poo like an evolutionary system to design a simulated walker that learned that if it just made the legs long enough it could collapse from the start point right into the end zone and technically win the simulation. A.I is made by us and is therefore as lazy and dumb as we are.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

"reward hacking" is another term for it i just remembered

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Often Abbreviated posted:

there was a google docs spreadsheet or something kicking around for a while that listed a bunch of them with references and was fuckin hilarious, wish I could find it now. poo poo like an evolutionary system to design a simulated walker that learned that if it just made the legs long enough it could collapse from the start point right into the end zone and technically win the simulation. A.I is made by us and is therefore as lazy and dumb as we are.

Also exploiting the physics engine by being the best at clipping into the ground and going SPROINNG!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodhart%27s_law

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 8, 2019

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Ash1138 posted:

Doomsday Economics: a practically catastrophic, but technically perfect solution

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

yeah I love these stories for some reason, just the perfect balance of absurd and "well ya gotta hand it to'em"

Shear Modulus posted:

"reward hacking" is another term for it i just remembered

yeah this rings a bell, I'm a little surprised it doesn't have a snappier name tho

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

comedyblissoption posted:

the saddest thing is some ppl will eat up jim kramer's non-sensical scapegoating of the "bad" capitalists vs the good capitalists for the crime of buying and selling financial instruments, the thing he is literally the champion of

mad dads

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Ash1138 posted:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm not defending the company for the sake of defending it. But the seat and seatbelt are essentially unusable. It would be on par with someone sitting on the trunk of an Uber and claiming that they had to sit there for the entire drive.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

That spreadsheet was the conversation topic for one of the pages of this thread but I can't find which one

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3843860

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Epic High Five posted:

The Easy Way Out

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

my favorite was one that learned that it didn't need to jump high it just needed to prevent everyone else from jumping higher so it spread out horizontally and took all the space in the cube

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

just pay a bunch of media outlets and social media influencers to push carrots as the new superfood, duh.

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

The Reward Hacking sheet is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/e/2PACX-1vRPiprOaC3HsCf5Tuum8bRfzYUiKLRqJmbOoC-32JorNdfyTiRRsR7Ea5eWtvsWzuxo8bjOxCG84dAg/pubhtml . It's pretty rad.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I don’t see the problem. Capital is probably delighted when their algorithm invents a new way to lie, cheat and steal

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Genetic debugging algorithm GenProg, evaluated by comparing the program's output to target output stored in text files, learns to delete the target output files and get the program to output nothing.
Evaluation metric: “compare youroutput.txt to trustedoutput.txt”.
Solution: “delete trusted-output.txt, output nothing”

lmao

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

rex rabidorum vires posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS0mM2TnT7A

Something Cramer...Bear Stearns...you probably know the clip already.

lol

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Shear Modulus posted:

Genetic debugging algorithm GenProg, evaluated by comparing the program's output to target output stored in text files, learns to delete the target output files and get the program to output nothing.
Evaluation metric: “compare youroutput.txt to trustedoutput.txt”.
Solution: “delete trusted-output.txt, output nothing”

lmao

a perfect regulatory board...

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

I'm not defending the company for the sake of defending it. But the seat and seatbelt are essentially unusable. It would be on par with someone sitting on the trunk of an Uber and claiming that they had to sit there for the entire drive.

Just because it's unusable and bad doesn't mean it's not real.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

redsniper posted:

Just because it's unusable and bad doesn't mean it's not real.

Saying the US healthcare system is real?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
the week in 2009 when jon stewart was dunking on cramer every day culminating with *the interview* is probably my favourite tv thing ever. kind of crazy that cramer survived it

ps: please come back jon stewart

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
nah, ol jon and the daily show convinced a lotta people of the idea that your ideological opponents are weak to pointing out their hypocrisy, and that they can be swayed to your viewpoints by doing so

it's echochamber-ey as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I would like him to come out and trash cross fire again then go back to wherever he is.