Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

somnambulist posted:

I am a bit nervous as a whole on the project because 85 minutes long might be EXHAUSTING for 7 tracks but even if the title track was recognizable in terms of sound, it did fly by pretty quickly.

Ya thats another thing I noticed. It really doesn't feel like 10 minutes went by listening to it. The more I listen to it the more it grows on me but the ending is still kind of weak. It just kind of ends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Soooo, turns out the packaging for the new album is going to be pretty nuts...

https://metalinjection.net/metal-merch/physical-version-of-new-tool-album-to-come-with-hd-screen-built-in-speaker

quote:

Tool has created a deluxe, limited-edition CD version of Fear Inoculum. The collectible offering, which was conceived by and directed by bands guitarist Adam Jones. The CD edition features a 4” HD rechargeable screen with exclusive video footage, charging cable, 2 watt speaker, a 36-page booklet and a digital download card.

Macrame_God fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 8, 2019

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I listened to the song last night. Liked it a fair bit but wasn't blown away.

Woke up and the swells from that intro were stuck in my head.

So since then, I've basically been playing the song on repeat and NOW I loving love it. Pardon the fanboy-ish rant, but this poo poo's cool and I'm excited (and it's hard to dissect Tool's music without sounding like an absolute tosser in the first place, but that's what we love about it).

Those swells at the start kinda dictate the whole song, but there's some good foreshadowing going on there. At first I thought it was Adam on guitar, with a delay pedal going to the right. Nope. It's Adam in the left speaker, Justin on the right speaker doing those swells. THAT'S gonna be a dick to play live. Good luck getting the timing right for THAT poo poo. However once I noticed that the rest of the song made a lot more sense.

Basically the whole song is just building on those swells at the beginning. Check out Justin's bass line when he finally gets to do things that aren't volume swells. The accented notes are the same notes for those swells. So the song basically starts off with 4 notes each and then as it goes on, they add more and more complexity to it. Eventually Adam and Justin meet up in the middle for that chorus-ish (Exhale, Expel etc.) bit which is kinda as "heavy" as the song gets.

The way they sorta evolve those riffs and weave them around each other seems super calculated, especially how they "logically" kinda meet in the middle for that chorus. So I don't agree with calling Tool a jam band.

Also, usually for those chorus sections when Adam\Justin come together, they'd put on a big slamming riff (Parabol? Lateralus etc.) but with how Adam\Justin were playing off each other, I kinda feel like it would've been super jarring and not organic if they suddenly burst into The Grudge. It seems more restrained than Tool normally and while I hope we get moments like The Grudge or Vicarious on the album SOMEWHERE, I dig how organic it feels in this song to hold back a bit.

On top of that, Maynard's singing is way more pretty and a bit less edgelord. It's a different delivery to what we've heard him do in Tool (EG: Whispering for 90% of 10,000 Days).

Now that I know the song a lot more, I LIKE it a lot more. Maybe all this poo poo I "noticed" might've been stunningly obvious to everybody else, but they weren't to me and when I noticed them, I thought it was cool. The differences are subtle for what we normally get\had from Tool and if you're a casual Tool fan (Yes, both of you) these difference will probably be completely meaningless to you. But there are definite differences that do feel like a bit of an evolution for me.

...Not as in OH MY GOD THIS IS THE NEXT EVOLUTION OF MUSIC HEY GUYS JESUS HAS COME BACK AND IT'S TOOL MAYNARD IS GOD IS THAT THE FIBONACCI SEQUENCE BRO? LOL LEARN TO SWIM SHEEP "evolution"

But a bit of a different step for Tool. I dig it. I'm excited. The mix is loving amazing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

where are the pictures???

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

I said come in! posted:

where are the pictures???

It's Tool, nobody's going to know what it looks like until the first redditor uploads an unboxing.

edit: actually I take that back, on Tool's website the news update says that an unboxing video will be share shortly, so sometime in the next week or so maybe?

quote:

Anyone, when reading the about the full album package, get a real consumer wasteland vibe? Not that the rest of the world isn’t trash but imagine if a band with as much potential influence as these males decided to go down a less gimmicky-electronics route, and maybe even do something potentially environmentally aware?

While I get what you're saying and really I agree, bands make essentially nothing from streaming and nobody buys regular CDs anymore. If bands want to make any money from the music itself, it has to be in a unique package that they can charge a premium for and get a big margin with low volume. So I understand why they're doing this. It's not like this is really going to move the needle on climate change.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 8, 2019

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

I was curious how they could fit 85 minutes of material on one CD, but apparently it's quite possible with CDs clocking in at 86+ minutes. The more you know. I know it's going to be wonky on my player since it struggles with CDs that are pushing 80 minutes. DVD/BR players ought to be OK. Not that it really matters will rip that disc anyways.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

It's Tool, nobody's going to know what it looks like until the first redditor uploads an unboxing.

edit: actually I take that back, on Tool's website the news update says that an unboxing video will be share shortly, so sometime in the next week or so maybe?

I want to maybe buy this, but also want to know what it costs first and to see pictures / video.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I said come in! posted:

I want to maybe buy this, but also want to know what it costs first and to see pictures / video.

It’s 39 bucks on amazon.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I've always loved tool's ridiculous packaging, but the audio jackoff in me is real caught up on the idea of a 96khz/24bit digital release. Storage is peanuts, give me the two gig album! Like, ultimately, I'm kind of in a place where if it's just more tool, that's fine by me. There's really nothing else quite like it.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I gotta admit, now that the shock of a new Tool song has passed and the new song has processed in my brain I’m really liking it a lot more.

I had a similar (but different) experience with Random Access Memories. When Get Lucky dropped I honestly thought it was fake, it wasn’t what I wanted at all and it took me a minute to get used to it but once the hype settled down a bit I really enjoyed it.

This is different in the sense the song wasn’t a radical departure from their past work like RAM was, it’s so familiar and new at the same time- but I wasn’t sure WHAT to expect after such a long hiatus.

There’s a lot of layers and stuff to unravel in this 10 minute song, but I’m really hoping the whole album is a great experience. Here’s hoping.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
First impression of title track: it’s like a computer algorithm was fed every Tool album and generated this. 10 minutes long for no reason, just plods along with nothing to justify its length.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
One thing I dig about the song is that the main riff at the beginning is in 4/4, then it switches up later to be the same riff with a 3/8 tag on the end (basically making it an 11/8 variation). Some of the musical ideas are derivative of their old stuff but there’s enough interesting stuff going on to keep my interest.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
I must be getting old, I really don't like this song. Lyrics read like some adolescent poetry, that bridge or whatever spoken part is awful, and while most of the music seems ok it doesn't really do anything for me.

Never been too wild about Tools guitarist, but I really liked their early albums (opiate, undertow, aenima). Seems most people enjoy it so I guess it's just me. It sucks getting old.

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

Overbite posted:

Ya thats another thing I noticed. It really doesn't feel like 10 minutes went by listening to it. The more I listen to it the more it grows on me but the ending is still kind of weak. It just kind of ends?

The way it ends makes me think it's going to lead into another track on the album as to where the single version cuts short, but i'm also talking out of my rear end here.

I'm in the camp where i wasn't nuts about this song at first, but i kept it on repeat because i figure i've waited long enough, might as well just keep blasting this poo poo and now i love it. It's similar to Lateralus/10,000 Days for sure, but i don't need them to reinvent the wheel to entertain me. i wish they'd do a track that sounded similar to something off Opiate, but that's me.

the album name i don't mind much either. it's corny, but all of Tool is and they could've called it Stinkfist 2 and i'd be okay with it.

though i am extremely more interested in hearing the other two songs performed at the live shows. the snippets i've heard are exciting and i'm pretty optimistic heading into the album. not having interludes will be spooky for 85 minutes, but i'm not a fan of interludes/skits on most albums anyways.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ænima is unlistenable as a full album because of all the stupid-rear end multi-minute interludes.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Lol @ all the Adam Jones haters coming out of the woodwork. Where have you been all this time? I thought I was the only one.

Remember when he tried playing the National Anthem? Holy moly.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The more I listen to this song I really like it and I feel like it's leading into a more aggressive track ,2 that will put it all in perspective. But the Adam Jones guitar solo at the end is just terribad.

I want to like him because he seems like a cool guy and his Instagram is fun but he's just not on the same level as Danny Carey and Justin Chancellor.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ænima is unlistenable as a full album because of all the stupid-rear end multi-minute interludes.

The circus music intermission before H is awesome what the gently caress.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

The circus music intermission before H is awesome what the gently caress.

Jimmy? Yeah that gets a pass. Die Eier Von Satan is funny but I always skip it. Having an interlude between almost every song is lame.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
What's with all the Adam Jones hate? I think he's a monster player. To come up with some of those ridiculous riffs is drat impressive and while he's not flashy like Vai, a lot of it is pretty fuckin' hard to play because of the stupid timings and variations and...well...being Tool.

I think he suits the band perfectly.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Because you can only listen to bland drop D chugging and the same 3 note "solos" so much before you're sick of it. Dude knows like 5 power chords and had already exhausted their potential combinations during the Bush administration.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocE2mxkwG_w
Tool's riffs aren't complex. I looked at the Lateralus tabs again, and none of it looks technically challenging.
https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/tool/lateralus_tabs_130956

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I don’t turn to tool when looking for squealing guitars and power metal solos

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Overbite posted:

I don’t turn to tool when looking for squealing guitars and power metal solos

Well that's kinda it.

Adam's stuff is simple, but I think it's appropriate. With all the rhythmic complexity and ridiculously cool bass stuff, I reckon Tool would sound like a hot mess if you suddenly added augmented 13ths and sweep picking.

Petrucci playing for Tool would probably be the worst idea possible.

Chacmool
Apr 12, 2007

I like the title, love Descending and Invincible and while I like the title track I agree it's very much a mash up of old songs especially Reflection. Also a bit worried about it being only 7 tracks. Still buying it.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Tool will always sound like Tool, they have a “sound”. It’s not technically complex but it has a certain mood.

Give me more songs like Parabol, Wings for Marie, and Right in Two mixed with a few bangers like Eulogy, Parabola, and The Grudge and I’d be a happy camper.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Think that's asking a lot tbh

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

ICHIBAHN posted:

Think that's asking a lot tbh

I mean it seems plausible , we’re most likely getting 1-3 tracks that are “dark and mystical” like Parabol , and the others more like the title track and probably 1-2 heavier songs. We’ll see!

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I think another new track is a drum session with Carey called CCTrip. It was played at live shows. While I'm sure the drumming is technically skillful I bet it is another snoozey soundscape track.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Was thinking about how creative and interesting 10, 000 Days is - The Pot, Jambi, Vicarious, Wings, Rosetta, Right in Two... And how normal and ordinary this new song is. Yuck. It's alright but it's just alright.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

ICHIBAHN posted:

Was thinking about how creative and interesting 10, 000 Days is - The Pot, Jambi, Vicarious, Wings, Rosetta, Right in Two... And how normal and ordinary this new song is. Yuck. It's alright but it's just alright.

You really need to pay closer attention to it. Especially when comparing it to The Pot (which is a bitching song, but hell most of it is 4\4).

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

This is dumb.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
What does it even mean?
Bad President= More Tool?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
My super hot take: The title track is ok

It's not great but it's not bad, and it's definitely Tool.

Danny Carey is still amazing

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
It me, the 36 year old who was in-fuckin'-sufferable about TOOL in high school. The number of poor dates that had to listen to me talk about Aenima for an hour... :smith:

Anyway, I'm very curious how the new album is going to feel to me because I've outgrown almost every band I used to love in high school. I don't like any Deftones after White Pony, I don't like any Korn after Follow the Leader, I can't listen to Limp Bizkit at all anymore, I don't like any of Alec Empire's new output...

Tool is like the last obsession that I haven't "engaged with" as an old. (I'm much more into atmospheric or minimalist electronic music, hip hop, and a little bit of doom metal now)

As far as my take on the new title track (I don't like live versions so I'm avoiding the other two), I both agree with the "It feels like an AI procedurally generated a Tool song" takes and the "weirdly, it's growing on me" takes. It's nothing special and kinda whatever, but it's easy to vibe out on while at work or whatever. It's got that trademark "mystical prog" feeling that Tool excels at. I could see myself gettin' a good buzz or high going and just zoning out to an album that sounds like this. And maybe that's just what 2019 needs right now...

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'd be very disappointed in an album of similar tone.

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Digging the new track and the two on Youtube that have been cleaned up pretty well from concert footage.

Getting the CD is becoming a real chore though.

Ordered from Amazon UK when price was £77 ($45 in US), it said the CD would be delivered release day).

Since then the price has changed to £79.99 and is now an Amazon EU purchase, that will be delivered on September 4th.

No-one at Amazon has a clue what's going on.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
I also moved on from Tool (or Opeth). It is easier now to get more music than ever. I also get the feeling most people don't care about new things and would rather watch The Office.

One thing I have to give to Tool: the production, especially on Undertow.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvia_Massy
Didn't know she did the first SOAD album too.
edit: Oh wait. It was the engineering. Whatever the difference is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

It seems that preorders on Amazon US sold out.