Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cemetry Gator posted:

Season 2 is fast, but it doesn't come off as Pierce riffing on Kick Puncher 2 in Community.

It's true, they were riffing on the movies with the speed and timing of the incomparable Robin Williams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Dawgstar posted:

It's true, they were riffing on the movies with the speed and timing of the incomparable Robin Williams.

I think you were watching the unriffed versions

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Sorry if this has been asked recently/too often. Any news or rumors about the next season?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Franchescanado posted:

Sorry if this has been asked recently/too often. Any news or rumors about the next season?

Nothing. Joel is working on a lengthy live tour, so I wouldn’t expect them to start production of a new season until like next spring at the earliest. This tour seems like a costly proposition, which makes me think they’re confident they’ll get to do more, but personally, I trust Netflix with the show a little bit less each day.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Maybe they got cancelled on the DL, and they're using the tour to run the clock out until they can shop the show to other parties? (Netflix has those stupidly restrictive contracts, which is why One Day At A Time is going to Pop TV and not CBS All Access)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gaz-L posted:

Maybe they got cancelled on the DL, and they're using the tour to run the clock out until they can shop the show to other parties? (Netflix has those stupidly restrictive contracts, which is why One Day At A Time is going to Pop TV and not CBS All Access)

It would be funny if they ended up on Hulu considering Kinga was talking about trying to get Disney to buy them in the first revival season

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/JoelGHodgson/status/1157814311898759168

Good looking out, although that's one of those things I honestly never thought of for the longest time.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Keep in mind that people are actually named gypsy in America sometimes.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
According to the Social Security Administration, 10 out of every million babies born in the US is named Gypsy. That's down from its peak of 20 out of 1,000,000 in the early 70s and another peak in the 1930s.

If she is now GP-C, then we have to wonder what happened to GP-A and GP-B and if those parts were needed to control when the movies begin or end (la la la).

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Tbh, when I've read the original tweet, I thought they were talking about Crow

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CapnBry posted:

If she is now GP-C, then we have to wonder what happened to GP-A and GP-B

KTMA season :haw:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Uncle Tom Servo

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

CapnBry posted:

If she is now GP-C, then we have to wonder what happened to GP-A and GP-B and if those parts were needed to control when the movies begin or end (la la la).

had Mallon voice, were blasted out of airlock

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Are they going to go back and edit out all the offensive jokes from the original shows?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mister Kingdom posted:

Are they going to go back and edit out all the offensive jokes from the original shows?

I don't think so but it's pretty clear Mike and Joel own up to that stuff at least.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Mokinokaro posted:

I don't think so but it's pretty clear Mike and Joel own up to that stuff at least.

I would like to think that the writers' intentions were not harmful in the first place.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mister Kingdom posted:

I would like to think that the writers' intentions were not harmful in the first place.

They weren't. I think the issue is people just did not think of that stuff at the time, even the more progressive writers like Frank.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Comedy is always the thing to age the worst.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

I've been going through the show again and theres very little to about none of the shock jock kind of edgy humor that ages poorly and instead tons of jokes about power structures.

MST is woke.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Burkion posted:

Comedy is always the thing to age the worst.

Yup, sometimes you get ones that age pretty gracefully though

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sharkopath posted:

I've been going through the show again and theres very little to about none of the shock jock kind of edgy humor that ages poorly and instead tons of jokes about power structures.

MST is woke.

LOTS of jokes about white people in the Joel era too and jokes about white privilege and making fun of the great white hunter bullshit. I can recall some good ones in the Mike era as well.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Burkion posted:

LOTS of jokes about white people in the Joel era too and jokes about white privilege and making fun of the great white hunter bullshit. I can recall some good ones in the Mike era as well.

It's true that the social group they picked on the most was that of the white Midwestern male.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
They also tended to make fun of Asian accents, particularly Japanese, and actors who looked a bit feminine/actresses who looked a bit masculine. Not generally overpoweringly so, but it's some flat notes in their history, I find.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Intent and outcome are not always coincident.

People were more prone to making jokes in the 80s and 90s that nowadays we might find problematic. That can't really be helped. But there's nothing wrong with a creator acknowledging that and saying, "Going forward we'll try to be more sensitive." I'd much prefer that to someone who defensively doubles down on their offensive comment.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Yeah, there's not a LOT of jokes that get me in "what were they thinking" mode, but the ones that do... whoof.\

Example: All the male rape jokes from "The Violent Years".

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Mister Kingdom posted:

RiffTrax did at least once edit a transphobic joke out of Laser Mission, one of the earlier VOD riffs.

Somebody mentioned it on Twitter, and Bill responded that he had them remove it from the download at some point. I don’t know if they’ve done it with any other riffs, but they’re generally more on the ball to start with.

Editing the old MST3K episodes would be tougher, but for Rifftrax they still have separate movie and riff audio tracks, so it’s probably a lot easier to do that if needed.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hogama posted:

They also tended to make fun of Asian accents, particularly Japanese

I don't really remember this that much (mostly I remember them making fun of all the bad dub voices in Japanese movies, i.e. "We like it very much!" from Prince of Space), but I do remember in The Skydivers them getting audibly pissed at the song by the in-movie band that literally used the Oriental Riff followed by the Drummer going "Ah, so". In conclusion, MST3K is a land of contrasts.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Angry_Ed posted:

I don't really remember this that much (mostly I remember them making fun of all the bad dub voices in Japanese movies, i.e. "We like it very much!" from Prince of Space), but I do remember in The Skydivers them getting audibly pissed at the song by the in-movie band that literally used the Oriental Riff followed by the Drummer going "Ah, so". In conclusion, MST3K is a land of contrasts.

Don't forget the seance scene in 'Wild World of Batwoman' which is... yikes.

I also always liked the bit in 'Leech Woman' where the great white hunter spouts some gibberish to his native porter and Mike goes, "Clearly, he speaks African."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/kwmurphy/status/1159579360556437504

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Yeah, there's not a LOT of jokes that get me in "what were they thinking" mode, but the ones that do... whoof.\

Example: All the male rape jokes from "The Violent Years".

Eh, that one doesn't bother me so much since the film is clearly going for titillation and they're keying into the fact that this is a male fantasy. But that's not to start an argument.

The only time I ever felt like they went too far was the beginning of The Incredibly Strange Creatures... where the jokes at the beginning...

It wasn't even funny to begin with.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I felt like sometimes they went too far with fat jokes, personally. But, to be fair, they usually did it when a character was over-the-top like in Memory Bank, and they called out movies that had their own tasteless fat humor like Ring of Terror.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Cemetry Gator posted:

The only time I ever felt like they went too far was the beginning of The Incredibly Strange Creatures... where the jokes at the beginning...

It wasn't even funny to begin with.

Yeah that one has definitely not aged well.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Clouseau posted:

Yeah that one has definitely not aged well.

What were the bad jokes? I only remember the shroud of David Schwimmer.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Breadallelogram posted:

What were the bad jokes? I only remember the shroud of David Schwimmer.

Probably the duct tape jokes about that one dancer.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Yeah just a lot of jokes about how mannish one of the dancers was, giving her a deep voice, saying she had to use a lot of duct tape, etc etc.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Angry_Ed posted:

Not related to the current discussion but the Hitler Museum is still one of the single most bizarre moments from MST3K

it just shows up out of nowhere in this long stock footage that's bad enough to make Mike go out of the theatre (where there's no oxygen) and somewhere in the middle of it, HITLER *boom*

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
What's next, the Mussolini Mall?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

What's next, the Mussolini Mall?

The Pinochet Petting Zoo?!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Chokes McGee posted:

Not related to the current discussion but the Hitler Museum is still one of the single most bizarre moments from MST3K

it just shows up out of nowhere in this long stock footage that's bad enough to make Mike go out of the theatre (where there's no oxygen) and somewhere in the middle of it, HITLER *boom*

It's always necessary that, at some point in the conversation about MST3K to those who have only a vague knowledge of it, that Best Brains (and now RiffTrax and assorted) did not hate the movies they riffed.

Except when they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

To this day I wonder what the original context for the Hitler Building stock footage was.