Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Ive never read the book and im seeing it tonight so ill report back. Im a sucker for anything with Del Toro's name attached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

david_a posted:

Based on the screenshot it looks purple.

I now want more than anything for it to just be purple. Like, the producers asked the director how he planned to show a color outside the visible spectrum and he was like “it’s purple” and said it with such conviction that they couldn’t argue against it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

tbh id be totally satisfied with that

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Kvlt! posted:

The color out of space is impossible to film. How do you even do it? You either never show the color (boring) or you make the whole movie in black and white and then the meteor in color (boring).

While this version followed your second definition of boring, the cast really knocks it out of the park regarding the multilayered warping effect of the color.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqbYOs_sE20

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
As unlikely as it is, I'm SUPER HYPED about Richard Stanley's The Color from Space.

There have been numerous attempts to put to film Lovecraft's seemingly unfilmable short story. Some were memorable but most fall into the mediocre schlock pit by virtue of shameful special effects or a loose grasp on the story. Soft adaptaions have been more successful (Annihilation), but we live in a world that produced Naked Lunch so anything is possible.

But as crazy as it is, I think Richard Stanley is the perfect mixture of visionary, headfucked and madman to pull it off. I have no idea in hell why any studio would give him money after he proved too insane to competently direct a major motion picture, but I'm glad they did.

The dude did a few spooky music videos after making Hardware (awesome) and Dust Devil (wicked). Disgraceful mental collapse aside, the bro has vision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHIsIVB7C8A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09AZd1Z-Ek0

God help me, I have hope.

e: If you haven't read the original, Horrorbabble has a great book on tape recording. Treat yourself by playing this with headphones, wine, weed and in total darkness.

TheOmegaWalrus fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 8, 2019

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I feel the need to inform you all that, despite numerous warnings from the Scream Stream veterans in the horror discord, CelticPredator attempted to watch Chillerama and made it about 15 minutes before giving up.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Even better I skipped to Adam Green’s segment and gave up seven minutes into it.

So I made it 15 minutes but not a whole 15 minutes.

Tbh I might watch the last one because the drive in stuff and opening was kind of well shot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/Meg_Kaylee/status/1159546641319378944

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Even better I skipped to Adam Green’s segment and gave up seven minutes into it.

So I made it 15 minutes but not a whole 15 minutes.

Tbh I might watch the last one because the drive in stuff and opening was kind of well shot.

It does have a notable castration scene

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

In the opening? Yeah that was alright.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

flashy_mcflash posted:

Unrelated: HOLY poo poo The Color Out Of Space is playing TIFF next month!!!

Whoa, this is finished? Go Richard Stanley.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Hey horror thread I need suggestions for a sea monster or nautical , blue in main color from 60s and 70s this is for my bathroom.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I wonder why Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark's embargo was lifted so late. I was expecting a dire RT score but it's pretty good. My nostalgia is relieved.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Shneak posted:

I wonder why Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark's embargo was lifted so late. I was expecting a dire RT score but it's pretty good. My nostalgia is relieved.

Honestly? I'd bet it's because reviews, whether positive or negative, get nerds (like us in this thread) talking poo poo and hating a movie we haven't even seen yet.

Scroll back a few pages to when Midsommar had reviews out but no public showings yet.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Null of Undefined posted:

Honestly? I'd bet it's because reviews, whether positive or negative, get nerds (like us in this thread) talking poo poo and hating a movie we haven't even seen yet.

Scroll back a few pages to when Midsommar had reviews out but no public showings yet.

I know that affects Marvel/DCU movies a lot but horror send to go in the opposite direction in my circles. Reviews are positive pre-release and get worse as they hit the mainstream.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I know that affects Marvel/DCU movies a lot but horror send to go in the opposite direction in my circles. Reviews are positive pre-release and get worse as they hit the mainstream.

Horror is also weird because a huge majority of the genre's best films had terrible reviews and box office results. Like The Thing was pretty much dead in the water on release.

When it comes to horror I'm very picky about who I listen to (a lot of those voices are in this thread), and even still will most likely see a movie I'm interested in even if it has a low review score.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Tart Kitty posted:

When it comes to horror I'm very picky about who I listen to (a lot of those voices are in this thread), and even still will most likely see a movie I'm interested in even if it has a low review score.

I think that fits a fair amount of us. Unless I hear from someone who's opinion I trust that a film's awful, I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I enjoy a lot of horror movies that get poor reviews. Wayyyyyyyy more frequently than any other genre.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

horror movies tend to get dunked on a bit by critics but i'll give any horror movie a go, and usually find something to enjoy in it, even if overall i didn't like the movie

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I base my horror choices on (a) appeal of promotional material, (b) word of mouth (usually here), or (c) what I'm in the mood for. Or random darts. I just watched some terrible Billy Zane zombie movie purely because I was bored and it had a cool looking image on Prime.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Prime has a really excellent horror section. There a lot of terrible stuff but it's all been terrible in a fun way, in my experience.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

Prime has a really excellent horror section. There a lot of terrible stuff but it's all been terrible in a fun way, in my experience.

The depths of prime poo poo horror movies are never ending....they will stream any psychopath’s masterwork

The best ones are always the ones without cover art and it’s just text on a generic background.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

flashy_mcflash posted:

I discovered the 1970's Tales From the Crypt movie that way. It was solid, not brilliant, I had never scene a Peter Cushing movie other than New Hope before, nice to know he had a lot of range.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, sometimes I'll just pick a random Prime horror that's art catches my eye and sit back and marvel at how terrible it is and what exactly the filmmakers felt they were doing.

The Billy Zane zombie film was great because it was this absolutely terrible comedy that somehow had everything feeling muted like I was suffering from insomnia or something. And Zane spent the entire film in this weird, stilted performance that I kept expecting to result in him snapping or letting loose and it just never did. I could only conclude the entire thing was conceived of, filmed, and edited on Billy Zane's stash of quaaludes.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tubi is free and has an amazing horror selection. They have a ton of great witchy movies from the 70s, and also have a bunch of the boutique label titles (Arrow, Shout, etc.).

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm positive that there's an R rated cut of Scary Stories somewhere that's a much better movie and I hope we get it at some point. From the stuff on the effects I've seen there's definitely more stuff with the toeless corpse that was filmed and isn't in there, and the end of the sequence feels like a reshoot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'm positive that there's an R rated cut of Scary Stories somewhere that's a much better movie and I hope we get it at some point. From the stuff on the effects I've seen there's definitely more stuff with the toeless corpse that was filmed and isn't in there, and the end of the sequence feels like a reshoot.

If they ended up with an R adapting those stories and had to scale it down they hosed up somewhere because despite the creepy artwork of the book the actual tales are pretty tame.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ruddiger posted:

Tubi is free and has an amazing horror selection. They have a ton of great witchy movies from the 70s, and also have a bunch of the boutique label titles (Arrow, Shout, etc.).

And Chillerama!!

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, sometimes I'll just pick a random Prime horror that's art catches my eye and sit back and marvel at how terrible it is and what exactly the filmmakers felt they were doing.

The Billy Zane zombie film was great because it was this absolutely terrible comedy that somehow had everything feeling muted like I was suffering from insomnia or something. And Zane spent the entire film in this weird, stilted performance that I kept expecting to result in him snapping or letting loose and it just never did. I could only conclude the entire thing was conceived of, filmed, and edited on Billy Zane's stash of quaaludes.

Was that the one with the tainted organic burgers? It got suggested to me from the 'Because you watched X..'.

ruddiger posted:

TubiTV really surprised the hell out of me with the selection they offer. It's worth dealing with the occasional commercial break for what they offer.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

If they ended up with an R adapting those stories and had to scale it down they hosed up somewhere because despite the creepy artwork of the book the actual tales are pretty tame.

A man gets skinned at the end of one of the stories. A co-ed gets decapitated and the killer is still hiding in the dorm room. A woman playing hide and seek knocks herself out hiding in a trunk and dies there, her dessicated corpse found by a maid years later. A wendigo drags a man until the friction grinds his legs down to the knees.

Also I just finished DeadTectives and it was a pretty fun movie.

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 9, 2019

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

As Untreatable already said, not really. Even the stuff they adapted here is pretty grisly, if bloodless. They don't do a single clear close-up of the toeless corpse, for instance, despite having made a perfect recreation of it.

Also apparently the original writer got fired and replaced at some point, so the explains a lot of... Weird poo poo in it. Lines that come out of nowhere only to set stuff up, the draft dodger thing, a year before the draft even went into effect, with the moral being if you don't go to Vietnam to die you're a coward?? And various other things the feel hacked together.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Untrustable posted:

A man gets skinned at the end of one of the stories. A co-ed gets decapitated and the killer is still hiding in the dorm room. A woman playing hide and seek knocks herself out hiding in a trunk and dies there, her dessicated corpse found by a maid years later. A wendigo drags a man until the friction grinds his legs down to the knees.

Also I just finished DeadTectives and it was a pretty fun movie.

Yeah but none of that poo poo is described in any detail. If it was it would've been totally inappropriate for kids. I can think of a million ways to film all that without showing anything too grisly. The only one that's tricky is the skinned man, and even then they only describe the skin flapping in the wind, the actual skinning is only left implied in the story. You could totally pull that off.

Vince MechMahon posted:

As Untreatable already said, not really. Even the stuff they adapted here is pretty grisly, if bloodless. They don't do a single clear close-up of the toeless corpse, for instance, despite having made a perfect recreation of it.

Also apparently the original writer got fired and replaced at some point, so the explains a lot of... Weird poo poo in it. Lines that come out of nowhere only to set stuff up, the draft dodger thing, a year before the draft even went into effect, with the moral being if you don't go to Vietnam to die you're a coward?? And various other things the feel hacked together.

Sounds like they should've just made it a loving anthology.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah but none of that poo poo is described in any detail. If it was it would've been totally inappropriate for kids.

It’s one of the most banned books in recent history for this very reason.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Sounds like they should've just made it a loving anthology.

I thought it was. Goddammit did they pull a Goosebumps and do a "we found this book and now the stories are coming to life!" kind of thing?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Untrustable posted:

I thought it was. Goddammit did they pull a Goosebumps and do a "we found this book and now the stories are coming to life!" kind of thing?

That's been my understanding of it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Untrustable posted:

What? Explain. I've never heard of this.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They find the book and the stories start to come to life, but they happen to the kids.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Oh jesus, I thought we were talking about IRL and parents were complaining about the books coming to life or something super stupid. I didn't even think about the plot to the Goosebumps film. I really should get my rear end to bed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I heard scary stories is a slightly more harder edged goosebumps, which imo sounds perfect and cool.

Goosebumps was real good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

I heard scary stories is a slightly more harder edged goosebumps, which imo sounds perfect and cool.

Goosebumps was real good.

Yeah that's about where it's at. Of course they could have gone in harder with the gore or whatever, but an R-rating would kill this film's marketing and cut the legs out from any kind of success. I thought the amount and tone of the horror elements was perfect for the kind of audience they're trying to go for here.

The draft dodging/Vietnam thing was there intentionally, and from my reading was an attempt to show that the kids live in a time where, even absent a spooky book, death is hanging over them all the time. I will say that Dean Norris was kind of underused, though he gets one pretty good scene towards the end where he's on the phone with his daughter.