Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Gerblyn posted:

That... is an interesting idea!

On second though, since that’s more of a Assembly thing, what about painting them red and giving them incendiary damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Cheers, Gerblyn! You guys are doing great!

And now we know you're adding a new Xenoplague mod; I'm just hoping it's something basically like toxin rounds or whatever so early game shooters will at least have some flavor.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I, for one, like that heroes are more limited. AoW3 heroes were a little overboard: each one carries a wardrobe on them, and also a blowpipe, a crossbow, a longbow, a gun, a toolbox, a slingshot in their pocket. There are lots of cheap abilities that aren't that noticeable. And making hero a dedicated caster required ignoring all the big juicy skills like bonuses to the whole army.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I'm really liking the game mechanics and how everything interacts, but I'm having the hardest time enjoying the actual game because of the extremely lacklustre combat animations. There's no "hit" effects like when a bullet or melee weapon makes contact, and the melee animations themselves are way too sped up most of the time. My arcblade commander kind of looks like he spasms for a quarter of a second and causes enemies to fall over dead. I know this makes me shallow but it just kills my enjoyment for some reason

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i would like if the secret tech units looked a bit more like their host faction. like i know they change the base bodytype, but its really hard to tell that the psynumbra guys are assembly at all.

i also still can't settle on a faction/tech

i like assembly and i like xenoplague but them together feels a little bit like a vampire zombie pirate. like they're undead cyborgs AND infected with the plague? just seems a little too much.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Gerblyn is a hero and helped to fix my victorious first save! It turned out to be a bug with sector ownership being transferred on your victory turn, and was easily fixed on my end.

So now that Syndicate/Promethean is done, it's time to move onto another combination! I'm thinking Vanguard/Synthesis.

Reharakhti
Oct 9, 2012

Secretly Sekhmet

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i would like if the secret tech units looked a bit more like their host faction. like i know they change the base bodytype, but its really hard to tell that the psynumbra guys are assembly at all.

i also still can't settle on a faction/tech

i like assembly and i like xenoplague but them together feels a little bit like a vampire zombie pirate. like they're undead cyborgs AND infected with the plague? just seems a little too much.

Working on it.. I'm already making too many mods :negative:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I'm really liking the game mechanics and how everything interacts, but I'm having the hardest time enjoying the actual game because of the extremely lacklustre combat animations. There's no "hit" effects like when a bullet or melee weapon makes contact, and the melee animations themselves are way too sped up most of the time. My arcblade commander kind of looks like he spasms for a quarter of a second and causes enemies to fall over dead. I know this makes me shallow but it just kills my enjoyment for some reason

Make sure you're not double right clicking (a second right click makes the animation play faster) but yeah this bothers me a little too - there are some things like the Trance Sniper that as far as I can tell have literally no animation at all - you right click an enemy, your hero points their gun and doesn't fire, the enemy takes damage.

Is there a way to auto-explore with scouts? If I remember right that either didn't exist or was patched in later for AOW3 but I'm not seeing it here either way. Also is there a way to set up a 6 player skirmish and make sure each race is represented without manually assigning a commander to each AI? I just quick-started a game as Assembly and 3/5 of the AI players were also Assembly.

I'm also really enjoying the mechanics and setting, but my major complaints so far are that everything is visually very busy and I'm having a hard time telling things apart on the map (may just be because I'm not used to the aesthetic/setting yet) and also, much like the quoted post every unit/faction feels samey to me because while units might have different stats, they basically all behave the same in combat (stand behind cover, shoot at things - OR use your gap closer as melee to gap close on people standing behind cover shooting at things). To a certain extent I like that (since the high tier units feel different and unique) but this is the first AOW game where I've felt like battles are too small and since armies consist of a lot of generic rifleman type units that don't have a whole lot of "presence of spectacle" it'd be nice to have 2-3x as many of them on the battlefield, and give the high tier units some big rifle lines to smash through or whatever.

It hasn't gripped me yet quite the same way AoW3 did, but I don't think AoW3 did that until after the expansions, so I'm hoping the DLC will really flesh this out with some more secret techs, non-human races, etc.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 9, 2019

Reharakhti
Oct 9, 2012

Secretly Sekhmet

deep dish peat moss posted:

much like the quoted post every unit/faction feels samey to me because while units might have different stats, they basically all behave the same in combat (stand behind cover, shoot at things - OR use your gap closer as melee to gap close on people standing behind cover shooting at things). To a certain extent I like that (since the high tier units feel different and unique) but this is the first AOW game where I've felt like battles are too small and since armies consist of a lot of generic rifleman type units that don't have a whole lot of "presence of spectacle" it'd be nice to have 2-3x as many of them on the battlefield, and give the high tier units some big rifle lines to smash through or whatever.

Are you only looking at the primary abilities? Because in contrary to every other AOW game before, units all have gimmicks, no 2 units are the same, they nearly all have unique abilites and crazy poo poo.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ah yeah I know that they have abilities, but they don't `feel` different and a lot of the abilities feel very low-impact on low tier units (not all of them obviously) or not much different from regular attacks.

That's not very different from older AoW games (armies go from generic to specialized the higher up the tech tree you get) but since in Planetfall there's such a crazy large percentage of units that are "guy with gun" it leaves everyone feeling the same to me.

Reharakhti
Oct 9, 2012

Secretly Sekhmet
Had a look through all the units but theres not many guy with gun characters in the game, even if I'm being very generous with what would count as that.

What are you playing?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Units have baseline functionality but they are more of a canvas whose potential you can bring out with mods. Even the 2 most similar riflemen units, the syndicate indentured and vanguard troopers, start having notably different gameplay focuses when mods and support units start playing into it. Vanguard basic mod is the nano-injectors which heavily favors defensive cover-based gameplay, having great sustain and a resist buff. Syndicate basic mod favors aggressive flanking tactics by rewarding them with extra damage, which also is the case for the cerebro-collars (run up to flanking position, get cerebro'd, unload. X-Com Run and Gun.)

e: off the top of my head, there's vanguard troopers, syndicate indentured, and paragon soldiers. To be fair, those are the 3 factions on Leave-6... I think? The campaigns are jumbled in my head.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 9, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've gotta be honest here, I've only been manually fighting the easy battles and letting the AI auto-resolve the big ones because most of the time the game is smarter at the combat than I am.

Hirotishi
Apr 12, 2004
I’ve been trying out Xenoplague in my first game, and there’s a lot of opacity in that system. Enemy units dying with Parasitic Infection have a chance to spawn Pustules, or if you have the relevant techs apparently evolve your Pustules involved in the battle into Destroyers, or your Destroyers into Plague Lords.

This obviously rules, but I’m having a hard time figuring out what the odds are of this stuff happening and how I can improve it, outside of one doctrine. If I knew the odds more clearly I could accurately value making suboptimal attacks in order to try to get enemies Infected, etcetera—right now it’s a little frustrating how opaque it is.

Is this information anywhere?

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Game is great so far but the doesn't appear to be a way to set combat animations to fast. Am I just bad at finding the setting or do I have to reset it every battle and double click everything?

Also same question for world map movement.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

orangelex44 posted:

Just paint the Dvar Xeno units grey and give them the Cyborg trait.

Or give the Dvar a mid game tech called “Sillicate DNA” that gives their machines the biological trait and vice versa.

E: Or or, swap the Xeno units with Quartzites because they’re cool.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Really enjoying this so far, even if I haven’t had enough time to get past the tutorial campaign. Civ by way of XCOM and the beautiful world of Endless Legend is extremely my stuff.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I'm having a hard time using T3+ units. Seems like they take too long to get to for the actual benefit of having them. A fully modded lower tier unit feels almost as strong in most cases, too.

Maybe the campaign maps are just too short for them to come into their own.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.

Triskelli posted:

E: Or or, swap the Xeno units with Quartzites because they’re cool.

Tech 1: dig deep.
Tech 2: dig deeper.
Tech 3: dug too deep, where man was not meant to tread.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ojetor posted:

I'm having a hard time using T3+ units. Seems like they take too long to get to for the actual benefit of having them. A fully modded lower tier unit feels almost as strong in most cases, too.

Maybe the campaign maps are just too short for them to come into their own.

T3+ units are pretty goddamn fearsome once you actually get them on the field, but the various demands of research mean that they're a mid-lategame thing, yeah. You wouldn't have the cosmite to produce them before mid-lategame anyway, since most T3s seem to clock in at 20-30 cosmite base before even adding mods, which would be prohibitively expensive early on.

I have noticed that it really feels like you're encouraged to sort of "pick" whether you're going for a racial or a secret tech focus with regards to units, since trying to split your focus means you probably won't hit the high end stuff in any reasonable timeframe. After so much AoW3 it's hard to break the idea that your "class" might be something you largely ignore/bypass depending on the specific combo, but the races are much more individually robust in this one.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 9, 2019

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Kanos posted:

I have noticed that it really feels like you're encouraged to sort of "pick" whether you're going for a racial or a secret tech focus with regards to units, since trying to split your focus means you probably won't hit the high end stuff in any reasonable timeframe.

Given how flexible T1s are this has got to be the intention.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

As much as I’d like to command an all-Tyrannodon army across the sweeping plains of Bedlam your Cosmite growth won’t really be enough to do that, in addition to all the mods you then have to slap on. It becomes a big limiting factor for those high tier units.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Low-tier units can generally keep up on the damage, it's utility they lack going into the mid and late game. T3 units generally bring a similar or higher damage while also rocking 2+ utility skills that are frequently devastating. My favorite unit by far, the not so humble Rift Generator, is douchebag incarnate. Every 4 turns they'll block a unit from using skills for 2 turns(this includes attacks and it's a debuff that can't be removed) and they'll also do an AoE stagger attack every 4 turns that randomly moves units affected around. Oh, and their regular attack is a repeating AoE. And they phase through obstacles. Plus they're hard to hit.

Rift Generators are incredibly annoying to fight in Landmarks, but once you have your own and get to modding, oh baby. Battlefield control never felt better. I'm pretty sure they're too good tbh.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Holy poo poo the second Vanguard campaign mission sure is a jump from the first. The first missions seem to be basically RPG-heavy, wandering all over, making friends fairly easily, somewhat compact to the point that you can maybe just have like two or three colonies. The second is some proper 4X territory war poo poo, and you better know how to expand and even forward-settle in order to keep up.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

yeah if you forego covering the bases its not that hard to get to t3 units, or t3-unit equivalent mods/operations.

Not all are created equal though. Struggling to make the Dvar Baron useful. Slow and short ranged is a bad combo. Think he might purely be an anti-melee or even anti-Assembly counter unit. Didn't really get the chance to play around with builds though.. maybe you just get him to like 10 armor and slap a regen item on him then walk forward for victory.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

yeah if you forego covering the bases its not that hard to get to t3 units, or t3-unit equivalent mods/operations.

Not all are created equal though. Struggling to make the Dvar Baron useful. Slow and short ranged is a bad combo. Think he might purely be an anti-melee or even anti-Assembly counter unit. Didn't really get the chance to play around with builds though.. maybe you just get him to like 10 armor and slap a regen item on him then walk forward for victory.

The Baron kicks rear end. He is slow and short-medium ranged, but he's a tough son of a bitch and his cannon is a repeating ranged weapon with stagger(try upgrading it with the flame ammo mod to make it aoe for aoe stagger!). The intent for the unit is to utilize his multiple(extremely good) support abilities on the way in(try having two barons use turbocharge on each other for fun times) and once you're in engagement range he switches over to kill mode.

He's probably the most Dvar unit in that he exemplifies the faction's core philosophy of slowly grinding forward with a wall of armor and killing everything in front of you by virtue of not dying before they do.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Gerblyn posted:

Anyways, I'll probably go quiet here for a bit, unless someone directly asks me something. It feels a bit weird for a Dev to get involved in these conversations, like you guys should be able to argue about this stuff without feeling I'll get offended or start lecturing or whatever.

No I think your insights into how you guys imagined the game playing are very helpful. You've made a game that, while similar to AoW3, is very much doing its own thing and your posts have been helpful for me personally to come at it from another angle/shed my preconceptions.

One thing though, and this is a small quibble but...the Inferno Fists item on Kir'ko heroes. Is there any way you guys could make it use the Kir'ko Lightbringer claws model? Kir'ko heroes having human fists looks super goofy.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
I think the gameplay, graphics, AI, writing and worldbuilding are topnotch but the animations, combat sounds and voiceovers are very mediocre to bad. Did they run out of money or something

That being said I like how this weird cyborg man is insulting me all the time to try and goad me into declaring war on him considering he is stronger than me.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I love the voice acting in this, is it just me? AOW has always been about jank rear end animations too

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Jack Gelder and the Vanguard announcer in general sound like the auditory equivalent of a stock photo, but this game already has more voicework in it than every other entry in the series combined so I can't get too upset. They've never had AAA production values.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
If just thinking about halfling slingers from aow 1 hucking a few rocks at a big rear end orc which instantly flatten him, looney tunes style, doesn't warm your heart, just i dont even know

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Quote from the Reddit ama

quote:

spent like 3 months making a sort of airforce simulation thing, you could build airbases and bombers and things, and there was like a thing that simulated dog fights and stuff. The idea was to replace the magic system from AoW3 with something like a high tech airforce. It seemed like a good idea on paper, but in practice it felt like horrible busy work and everyone hated it :(

As for the other robots, I guess you mean the Autonoms? They are still in the game! We just didn't have time to give them a proper dev diary

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Voyager I posted:

Jack Gelder and the Vanguard announcer in general sound like the auditory equivalent of a stock photo, but this game already has more voicework in it than every other entry in the series combined so I can't get too upset. They've never had AAA production values.

I switch to a woman as soon as I finish the tutorial and her voice work in the campaign seems better and less boring.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Quote from the Reddit ama

link to the whole thing: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/ckrzbx/age_of_wonders_planetfall_ama/

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i like the voice acting on the research quotes at least

the most disappointed i've been in the game thus far was the time i tried to throw a smoke grenade. i expected the hero to have some generic throwing animation but instead i watched my guy point his gun forward and fire it, but without any sound. then after a brief pause the smoke appeared

that was pretty jank

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Snooze Cruise posted:

I switch to a woman as soon as I finish the tutorial and her voice work in the campaign seems better and less boring.

I did this with the Dvar and I commend the game for even giving us the choice of sex for our campaign characters.

Honestly, I think the VA is pretty decent for a lower budget game. I do think that in-game dialog is pretty atrocious, though. I don't know if it's the writing itself or the systems in place to convey the writing, buuuuut it's definitely the game's weakest area and could use another pass or two in future campaigns.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
How do you change the campaign heroes' gender? I don't see the button.

But yeah, most of the VA is damned good, especially the Psynumbra and Xenoplague tech voices.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

CommissarMega posted:

How do you change the campaign heroes' gender? I don't see the button.

But yeah, most of the VA is damned good, especially the Psynumbra and Xenoplague tech voices.

When you go into Customize Commander, you can swap the gender (if appropriate to the faction) when you're choosing what they look like.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
This might be hubris, especially considering that the rankings say I'm dead last, but I haven't encountered anything so far in the second campaign mission as Vanguard on Advanced difficulty that 4 modded Troopers, a PUG, and an APC Hero couldn't beat without losing a single man. Some battles were tight, sure, but sheer firepower keeps winning the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

ninjewtsu posted:

i like the voice acting on the research quotes at least

the most disappointed i've been in the game thus far was the time i tried to throw a smoke grenade. i expected the hero to have some generic throwing animation but instead i watched my guy point his gun forward and fire it, but without any sound. then after a brief pause the smoke appeared

that was pretty jank

I think some of the arc weapons just don't have an animation or a firing sound, actually. The SMG, at a minimum.