Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Solkanar512 posted:

How in the hell is it legal to pretend to be that restaurant, and charge fees like this? They aren’t providing an additional service to anyone, they’re rent seeking.

Disruption!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Move fast, break things

Especially if it's stuff from other people.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Especially if it's people.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's pretty clear that the entire worldwide political mainstream will trip over itself to give sloppy blowjobs to 'entrepreneurs' no matter what they do because they're supposed to be instrumental in keeping the myths of upward mobility and success by merit in capitalism alive.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's pretty clear that the entire worldwide political mainstream will trip over itself to give sloppy blowjobs to 'entrepreneurs' no matter what they do because they're supposed to be instrumental in keeping the myths of upward mobility and success by merit in capitalism alive.

funnily enough poo poo like that yelp stunt would be impossible in the EU, data protection, privacy and competition still have laws and power attached to them

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Goa Tse-tung posted:

funnily enough poo poo like that yelp stunt would be impossible in the EU, data protection, privacy and competition still have laws and power attached to them

Move fast; break things.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

rewatching the theranos doc and this never fails to make me laugh:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

We knew this for years and yet the uber booth at the compsci job fair had the longest line.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

SardonicTyrant posted:

We knew this for years and yet the uber booth at the compsci job fair had the longest line.

well, it's the job fair, not the investor fair

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yelp/Grubhub has like a fake phone network/phone numbers that it replaces restaurant phone numbers on Yelp's site/app with without informing the restaurants on this. This is done so that your calls get forwarded through Yelp before reaching a restaurant so that Yelp can charge additional marketing fees per phone call to a restaurant and does not inform restaurants of this. So like you can call a "restaurant's" phone number on Yelp and end up getting forwarded to the wrong restaurant or/and otherwise whatever happens where you don't even place an order and the restaurant gets charged like $8 for that.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/wjwebw/yelp-is-sneakily-replacing-restaurants-phone-numbers-so-grubhub-can-take-a-cut

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

PhazonLink posted:

is this the same food delivery company from a several weeks ago or a different one?

GrubHub wants more money from the restaurants that have teamed up with it, using activities ranging from increasing fees to creating their own versions of their partners' websites to guarantee commissions.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=20321260

From June 28:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/28/19154220/grubhub-seamless-fake-restaurant-domain-names-commission-fees

quote:

Grubhub is using thousands of fake websites to upcharge commission fees from real businesses
They also list phone numbers that don’t belong to the actual business

By Natt Garun@nattgarun Jun 28, 2019, 4:08pm EDT

Grubhub has been buying tens of thousands of domain names that resemble those of businesses they either work with or are pitching to get on the platform, reports New Food Economy. Those domains, of which Grubhub owns as many as 23,000, are used to resemble a landing page for the official business, complete with an online ordering form, despite the sites being completely unassociated with the restaurants themselves.

Restaurant owners are calling the practice predatorial, noting that Grubhub is leading customers to believe they’re ordering directly from restaurants to help businesses avoid paying fees to Grubhub. The online ordering giant, the largest in the country, is the parent company of multiple food delivery services, including Eat24, MenuPages, and Seamless. However, its spot as the top of the delivery market is being threatened by competing services like DoorDash and Uber Eats.

The Grubhub-owned domains use a template that is consistent across all the shadow sites. They feature items from the restaurant’s actual menu, and sometimes the sites use photos taken from either the restaurant’s official webpage or from competing delivery services. I’m intimately familiar with the tactic because — and here’s the big disclosure — my parents own a restaurant in Queens, New York and they are currently listed on both Seamless / Grubhub and Caviar. They also have an official restaurant site.

However, an alternative website with a similar-sounding URL (.com versus .net) set up by Grubhub without their expressed permission uses the restaurant’s original logo and food photos taken by a photographer from Caviar. The site also includes multiple “Order Now” links that lead to the Seamless listing and a phone number unassociated with the restaurant’s official business number.

https://twitter.com/nattgarun/statu...commission-fees

Grubhub charges anywhere from a 3 to 15 percent commission fee depending on whether a restaurant provides their own delivery fleet. However, if a customer orders from a restaurant using Grubhub’s “marketing” tactics, whether through an app search or these unassociated websites, Grubhub can bill for an additional 20 percent commission on a single order. These fees also extend to phone orders, which Grubhub was sued over after a lawsuit alleged the company was charging commission for bogus phone calls that did not directly result in an order.

https://twitter.com/aurabogado/stat...commission-fees

Grubhub denies wrongdoing, noting that this practice is intended to help boost restaurant orders. "Grubhub has never cybersquatted, which is identified by ICANN as 'generally bad faith registration of another person’s trademark in a domain name,'" the company said in a statement. "As a service to our restaurants, we have created microsites for them as another source of orders and to increase their online brand presence. Additionally, we have registered domains on their behalf, consistent with our restaurant contracts. We no longer provide that service and it has always been our practice to transfer the domain to the restaurant as soon as they request it."

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 7, 2019

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Mister Facetious posted:

GrubHub wants more money from the restaurants that have teamed up with it, using activities ranging from increasing fees to creating their own versions of their partners' websites to guarantee commissions.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=20321260

From June 28:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/28/19154220/grubhub-seamless-fake-restaurant-domain-names-commission-fees

"Yes, we are literally doing the thing you are accusing us of but it's okay because

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1159601240948584451

:piss:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

That's almost twice as much as Boeing lost. Holy poo poo, how can you suck that much?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

its kind of a lovely article but lmao

quote:

Khosrowshahi often likes to talk about abstract concepts, like a $12 trillion “total addressable market” (TAM) that Uber has only just begun to penetrate. That includes things like food delivery, personal mobility, and freight shipping.

uber will not be competitive in freight agency or as a personal mobility firm. investors are trash

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
It's not their money, it's the investors'; as long as their checks keep getting cashed, they'll keep shoveling more coal in.
The worst that can happen to management is being replaced and receiving a golden parachute.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

luxury handset posted:

uber will not be competitive in freight agency or as a personal mobility firm. investors are trash

The total addressable market by MickeyFinn Corp is $120 trillion, shower me with billions.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, don't forget the part that global GDP is estimated to be $80 trillion. Uber is trying to say that it will control 15% of the global economy with a straight face, and the investors are just nodding along. Jesus.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Yeah, don't forget the part that global GDP is estimated to be $80 trillion. Uber is trying to say that it will control 15% of the global economy with a straight face, and the investors are just nodding along. Jesus.

No, that’s not what is being said... Total Addressable Market is what revenues could be out there if there were no competition.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
there's like a huge amount of competition though. i must not be understanding the context in which that metric is used in the business world because that's, like, three completely different and mature economic sectors in which uber claims to be able to compete, despite only credibly having a foothold in one of them. it sounds to me like if microsoft suddenly wanted to start opening hospitals and building airplanes so they could better sell microsoft products

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

imagine if that money went into public transport.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it would be nice but unironically too many people stridently say "these companies should spend the money on things like feeding the poor, or trains" without really getting how that's not possible

not accusing anyone itt of that but tons of folks just don't really get how gov't funding works or the fiscal obstacles in the way of continued mass transit expansion (which is actually on an uptick over the last decade or so)

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Edit: lol I’m the guy luxury handset warned you about

Groovelord Neato posted:

imagine if that money went into public transport.

That’s the worst loving part about all this, isn’t it? Train lines, dedicated bus roads, separated bicycle paths... we could be doing anything with this loving money and we’re spending it in the worst possible way. Humanity sucks.

Edit deux: Honestly though, in Atlanta they keep building the highways bigger and wider, adding toll expressways and other “pay to play” ways to get to work faster when just adding a goddamned train line to the exurb towns outside of the city would’ve been a much smarter use of the money, instead of watching people going from sitting in 4 lanes of traffic for 2 hours to 6 lanes of traffic for 2 hours.

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 9, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ripoff posted:

Edit deux: Honestly though, in Atlanta they keep building the highways bigger and wider, adding toll expressways and other “pay to play” ways to get to work faster when just adding a goddamned train line to the exurb towns outside of the city would’ve been a much smarter use of the money, instead of watching people going from sitting in 4 lanes of traffic for 2 hours to 6 lanes of traffic for 2 hours.

GDOT funding is distinct from MARTA aka The ATL funding though. this illustrates the problem, there is no state government in america more hostile to its largest city than georgia, and MARTA has been historically starved of funding as a result of state politics that have spent decades detracting from atlanta in favor of drumming up rural votes

the money is there. if MARTA asked for ten billion dollars through a bond issuance, investors would trip over themselves to purchase those bonds. the problem is political willpower on behalf of voters and politicians still suspicious of mass transit. see the recent failure of the MARTA expansion into gwinnett county for an example. everyone knows MARTA will expand into the suburbs, it is a matter of time, even the republican political establishment is on board, but they cravenly did not push the issue with voters and split the referendum off so that it would not be included in the midterm ticket. and cobb county likely won't join MARTA for another ten years because cobb sucks and is the worst

meanwhile MARTA is expanding with the recent local SPLOST issuance:

https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt--politics/marta-board-approves-atlanta-expansion-timeline/rJ2JvE8F1h2XWGYfFupwdJ/

e: oh and to bring it back to the thread, there's more political will now for bike lanes and safe streets because people keep getting hit and killed riding electric scooters on the road, to the point that the mayor of atlanta yesterday banned the use of scooters between 9pm and 4 am

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 9, 2019

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

luxury handset posted:

Lots of good stuff

Thanks for the reading, I’m going to dig into this some more to not look like such an ignorant jackass. I had thought that MARTA/ATL was lumped in with GDOT and was disappointed that the I-75 expansion was going on for years and that SunTrust Park was going to be denied public transit options outside of the hilariously bad CCT.

Also I’m done with Atlantachat after this but holy loving poo poo I hate the Braves for moving their park out to Cobb. It’s a loving nightmare to get out here and there has to be a sharp increase in instances of people driving under the influence now thanks to all public transit options being struck off in favor of more parking and driving. gently caress this.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you could tax all these fuckers so they couldn't pour money into companies that cannot succeed.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ripoff posted:

Thanks for the reading, I’m going to dig into this some more to not look like such an ignorant jackass. I had thought that MARTA/ATL was lumped in with GDOT and was disappointed that the I-75 expansion was going on for years and that SunTrust Park was going to be denied public transit options outside of the hilariously bad CCT.

oh no, GDOT is a state level entity who gets tons of funding because everyone likes roads. GDOT is also in charge of expanding/maintaining the georgia chunks of the interstate system so they get nearly guaranteed federal grants for improvements, like all the express lanes going up on i-75 and along the top end of the perimeter. their funding source is bountiful and endless

MARTA, historically, has not received any state funding except for a trickle for capital upgrades starting in the mid 2000s. for a long time MARTA was unique among american cities as being the only major metro transit system which received no state support at all, the next comparable system was toronto's and that was because of some weird jurisdictional thing going on up there, not because ontario made political hay out of making GBS threads on their largest city. so MARTA has to limp along with farebox revenue (extremely high fares to capture as much of this as possible, highest in the nation IIRC), entirely local funding from city/county sales taxes, and some small portion of federal grants. this greatly constrains MARTA's ability to operate because of the capital/operational funding split, which MARTA was again hobbled by because in the charter setting up the system MARTA was forced for decades to maintain a 50/50 split

the difference here matters. capital funding is for new things - new tracks, new vehicles, new stations. operational funding is for day to day expenses, paying wages, buying fuel, paying the electric bill. if there are artificial constraints on what you can spend your money on, then it doesn't matter how much capital funding you have to expand the train lines if you know you won't be able to pay for mechanics to maintain them. this is part of why MARTA stations are so grubby, janitors and station maintenance are low priorities compared to bus drivers and train mechanics. this is turning around over time but if you've used the system in the last 20 years you've seen it

anyway here's an article for more reading

https://www.atlantamagazine.com/great-reads/marta-tsplost-transportation/

it would be amazing if all the investor class renounced their wealth and wrote fat checks to public utilities before loving off to a monastery somewhere but in the meantime, the real problem is politics

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Your Orwellian surveillance device (and probably the rest of your electronic devices) are probably made by children
https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2019/aug/08/schoolchildren-in-china-work-overnight-to-produce-amazon-alexa-devices

I wish I could be surprised.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Groovelord Neato posted:

you could tax all these fuckers so they couldn't pour money into companies that cannot succeed.
Seconded.

I'd rather be upset over stories of fraud in taking advantage of government funded programs than wasting five-loving-billion dollars in 3 months.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Barring extremely high taxes in the wealthy, I'm pretty ok with Uber being a comically effective scheme to take investor money and massively subsidize transportation with it

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

We've been laughing at Silicon Valley reinventing buses, but really, if that's what it takes to even have mass transit, why not let them have that win? Call it UberPool+ or whatever, just keep burning that VC

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
because it will be more expensive and worst and kill people. and richer tech bros will pay more just for status / the security blanket that they dont have a tiny penis for express solo buses that re-reinvented taxis

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

I feel like I need an explanation into how going through an IPO fueled by unattainable dreams of future profitability is not fraud.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ruffian Price posted:

We've been laughing at Silicon Valley reinventing buses, but really, if that's what it takes to even have mass transit, why not let them have that win? Call it UberPool+ or whatever, just keep burning that VC

its not really mass transit though, it's providing convenient service to those who can afford it without taking a loss to provide a necessary service for those who can't otherwise afford it. there's no public function here, it's just rent seeking which will evaporate as soon as it is unprofitable

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Baronash posted:

I feel like I need an explanation into how going through an IPO fueled by unattainable dreams of future profitability is not fraud.

I dont think Uber is legally fraud, because they have actual working technology. Besides, it's not possible to "tell the truth" about future profitability because it's all hypothetical.

The investors' money isnt being embezzled, it's just being used extremely poorly. That is incompetence, not fraud.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

OctaMurk posted:

I dont think Uber is legally fraud, because they have actual working technology. Besides, it's not possible to "tell the truth" about future profitability because it's all hypothetical.

The investors' money isnt being embezzled, it's just being used extremely poorly. That is incompetence, not fraud.

Ah, the Star Citizen defence.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Ruffian Price posted:

oh yeah, i'd love to have essential services pulled out from under me as soon as the vc money dries up

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

luxury handset posted:

there's like a huge amount of competition though. i must not be understanding the context in which that metric is used in the business world because that's, like, three completely different and mature economic sectors in which uber claims to be able to compete, despite only credibly having a foothold in one of them. it sounds to me like if microsoft suddenly wanted to start opening hospitals and building airplanes so they could better sell microsoft products

You’re conflating two things. The metric in general is used to industry potential; a $1trillion industry has more potential than a $100million one for hopefully obvious reasons.

Uber is saying that their foothold in one economic sector, caused by their disruption of the mature taxi industry, will lead them to execute in other sectors and that those sectors make up 15% of the world economy. They won’t own 15% of the economy no matter how well they do, but they will compete in 15%.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Missing Donut posted:

They won’t own 15% of the economy no matter how well they do, but they will compete in 15%.

i get that, i'm disputing that uber is competitive in the freight industry or "personal mobility" in terms of actually producing vehicles rather than renting them along with their driver/owner's time

uber keeps making big claims about how they're going to be transformative with things like air taxis, when personal aircraft is one of the biggest crank sinkholes out there for companies that stack more promises than products

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Quandary posted:

Barring extremely high taxes in the wealthy, I'm pretty ok with Uber being a comically effective scheme to take investor money and massively subsidize transportation with it

It's too bad they're subsidizing literally the worst form of transportation they could find