Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
There was a maritime history podcast that did a bunch about the early Bosporus. Can't remember what it was called though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Schadenboner posted:

E: Is there a good history podcast thread?

There's no specific thread I've seen.

My subscriptions as the arbiter of all taste:

History of Japan
Tides of History (though I'm falling off this one as it gets early modern, the least interesting European era)
Revolutions
Wonders of the World
History of Byzantium
History of Egypt

I've also downloaded but not gotten to The Ancient World, Our Fake History, and History of China. I listened to a lot of the Chinese History Podcast by Laszlo Montgomery back in the day but he hasn't had a topic interesting to me in a long time so I fell off it. Fall of Rome is a good completed podcast, same guy as Tides of History.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Grand Fromage posted:

And much like History of Rome, the first episodes are rough while he figures out how to podcast then it gets solid. He's already done more episodes than Duncan and is only up to the late 1000s. It has a lot more detail. Not a knock on Mike, the medieval period is much better documented than classical Rome so you can go into more depth from the primary sources.

Yeah you can see that in the span of episodes covering the 700s being fairly short on narrative because we just don't have poo poo from the Roman side.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

paragon1 posted:

Yeah you can see that in the span of episodes covering the 700s being fairly short on narrative because we just don't have poo poo from the Roman side.

Yep. And Basil II's reign is poorly documented so even though it's the longest in Roman history, there's not a ton to talk about.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I've really enjoyed listening to the History of China but small caveat he doesn't do podcasting full time and has never quite gotten the level of professional polish that some of these shows do. Nothing major, just minor editing hiccups and the like.

Edit: It's just about to get to the Yuan dynasty.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I also like the History of the Crusades, if only because it's currently on the Northern Crusades and I know very little about them, but I think the creator has a tendency to go a bit too deep into the weeds and it can be easy for me to miss the big picture in between the names and dates.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I really wanted to like that one but I couldn't get past the sleepy monotone delivery. My brain would just slide right off it and I couldn't pay attention.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yo, o'er here. I think it's one of the least-used subforums, so it's easy to miss.

Some people's podcasting styles I like, and some I don't, and it's hard to tell without just taking the time out to listen. I kinda prefer more active styles that are willing to be funny, but some people actively like going to sleep to podcasts.

And sometimes I'm all gung-ho about listening to a podcast and then halfway through I start to realize that I've absorbed zero information from it, which is a bad sign.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I wouldn't say Robin started History of Byzantium learning how to podcast - when he started he had several fairly long lasting and popular TV show-based podcasts going which used to be his main thing. But he did have to learn how to move from his "talking about nerd tv shows" style to talking about actual history.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

SlothfulCobra posted:

And sometimes I'm all gung-ho about listening to a podcast and then halfway through I start to realize that I've absorbed zero information from it, which is a bad sign.

Yeah I have this problem with a lot of the really long ones. Like honestly how long the Byzantium one is kind of puts me off; I'm sure it's great and all, but it also sounds like the dude can't trim out extraneous information very well. I guess it gets down to what you want to get out of the podcasts, like you mention. I generally listen to them so I can get a picture of a part of history I don't want to actually sit down and read about, but if you're in it for the long haul I guess the longer the better.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Grand Fromage posted:

though I'm falling off this one as it gets early modern, the least interesting European era)

HeyGuns sighs as he draws his pike.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

plz don't draw attention to the bait

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Cyrano4747 posted:

Or was it a muster roll?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
whipping a pike around my body like freaking nunchucks

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cyrano4747 posted:

:suspense:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Koramei posted:

Yeah I have this problem with a lot of the really long ones. Like honestly how long the Byzantium one is kind of puts me off; I'm sure it's great and all, but it also sounds like the dude can't trim out extraneous information very well. I guess it gets down to what you want to get out of the podcasts, like you mention. I generally listen to them so I can get a picture of a part of history I don't want to actually sit down and read about, but if you're in it for the long haul I guess the longer the better.

I wouldn't consider it extraneous, there's just more to talk about since there's more documentation.

But if you were interested in the period and don't want to listen, I would recommend reading all of Anthony Kaldellis' work as I am a huge fan of his approach to the material, then comb his notes and bibliographies for further reading. He gets a lot of stuff from his own translation of Roman documents that have never been worked on in English previously, but also draws on other English books you can head into.

The history of the medieval empire has been so badly treated for so long that IMO you really should not read any books more than about... 20 years old about it until you've read all the current scholarship. Then you can go back and pull out the good bits without getting the lovely narrative that has dominated western scholarship since the middle ages.

Also primary sources are available in English. Procopius and Michael Psellos are good ones to start with. Keep a salt pig on hand when you read Procopius' Secret History but it's a hell of an entertaining ride.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

HEY GUNS posted:

whipping a pike around my body like freaking nunchucks

Give that you are a high honor / high prestige individual, is there a giant silk flag attached to it?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

Give that you are a high honor / high prestige individual, is there a giant silk flag attached to it?
our giant flag dude is tall, highly visible, and can direct the batallion when the hauptmann doesn't

so no

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

History of Byzantium is very good. I thought it took Robin until around Justinian's reign to really get into a good groove, but it's about my favorite podcast now. Plus, he gets way more interviews with authors and academics than Mike Duncan does.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I loved the History of Byzantium episodes about Irene. I love Irene.

I wanna talk a bit about women in history, especially unfortunate royals. Do you guys have some good examples? I was talking to some female friends about time travel and they pointed out how things are generally horrible for women once you travel back in time further than a hundred years. The conversation drifted to royal women who really got it even worse than Sansa Stark.

The worst example I could think of was Marie Louise of Orleans. She was forced to marry Charles II against her will even though she made it clear that she was horrified by looking at him. What follows could be a prequel to 'The Hills Have Eyes'. She had to repeatedly have sex with him to try to get pregnant. Even though she complained that he suffered from a combination premature ejaculation and impotence, they still blamed her for not getting knocked up. So they poisoned her with fertility concoctions that made her poo poo her intestines out until she died. Eventually when Charles II died they found that he only had one single deformed testicle. The end. Pretty depressing.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Does Christina of Sweden count? Father (Gustav Adolphus) died when she was 6; her possibly insane mother (Maria Eleonora) kept his decaying corpse in an open coffin for 18 months before burial. Maria was later exiled for interfering with Gustav’s half-sister, Catherine, who Gustav had named as Christina’s foster mother in the event of his death.

A few years later, Catherine dies, and the Royal Council decides that the ~11 year old Christina should have a rotating foster mother to prevent her from developing an attachment. Sounds healthy!

At 25, she had a nervous breakdown, later abdicating in 1664. She spent most of the rest of her life in Rome, supporting the arts (including opening Rome’s first public theater) and developing friendships with people such as Bernini and Clement IX.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Bobby Digital posted:

Does Christina of Sweden count? Father (Gustav Adolphus) died when she was 6; her possibly insane mother (Maria Eleonora) kept his decaying corpse in an open coffin for 18 months before burial. Maria was later exiled for interfering with Gustav’s half-sister, Catherine, who Gustav had named as Christina’s foster mother in the event of his death.

A few years later, Catherine dies, and the Royal Council decides that the ~11 year old Christina should have a rotating foster mother to prevent her from developing an attachment. Sounds healthy!

At 25, she had a nervous breakdown, later abdicating in 1664. She spent most of the rest of her life in Rome, supporting the arts (including opening Rome’s first public theater) and developing friendships with people such as Bernini and Clement IX.

drat, at least sounds like she had a happy-ish adulthood!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
queen christina had a baller life tbh and gustavus's body wasn't decaying, he was embalmed right after the battle where he died ended.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

HEY GUNS posted:

queen christina had a baller life tbh and gustavus's body wasn't decaying, he was embalmed right after the battle where he died ended.

poo poo really? I read that it was putrefying in the palace.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

HEY GUNS posted:

queen christina had a baller life...

Plus, when she was visiting the King of France, she had a guy killed in the King's living room. Also, when her cousin (who became king after she abdicated) died, she went back to Sweden, took one look at this five year old son, the new king, and said, "Just so everybody knows, if the kid dies, I'm queen again.", which upset the Swedes they made her abdicate the throne again.

She was also in Hamburg when Clement IX became Pope, and threw such a big party in honor of him, a Lutheran mob attacked the place, tried to kill her, and made her run out out the back door in disguise. She also tried to become queen of Poland, with the argument, "I'm Swedish, Catholic and single, plus the Pope likes me". She was also friends with this faith healing alchemist magician who ran around conning people and claiming that God told him the Pope would take over the world.

Christina was a hot mess, in other words, who had a wonderful time doing whatever she wanted regardless of the consequences.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
probably the best vasa

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Epicurius posted:

"I'm Swedish, Catholic and single, plus the Pope likes me".
1. Make Christina king of Poland
2. ?????
3. Saxony-Poland-Lithuania takes over the earth

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

HEY GUNS posted:

1. Make Christina king of Poland
2. ?????
3. Saxony-Poland-Lithuania takes over the earth

That's your theory for basically everything though, just change step one as needed.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Don Gato posted:

That's your theory for basically everything though, just change step one as needed.
yeah isn't it great?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Bobby Digital posted:

whoever told you that had the wrong information; 17th century military people were big into embalming their important leaders. they trucked him home in a big procession. the imperialists did the same for pappenheim, who died on the same day, just in the opposite direction

edit: this is the cloth that was under his head while they were embalming him. it is now in their Rustkammer

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Aug 10, 2019

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Animal posted:

I wanna talk a bit about women in history, especially unfortunate royals. Do you guys have some good examples? I was talking to some female friends about time travel and they pointed out how things are generally horrible for women once you travel back in time further than a hundred years. The conversation drifted to royal women who really got it even worse than Sansa Stark.

The worst example I could think of was Marie Louise of Orleans. She was forced to marry Charles II against her will even though she made it clear that she was horrified by looking at him. What follows could be a prequel to 'The Hills Have Eyes'. She had to repeatedly have sex with him to try to get pregnant. Even though she complained that he suffered from a combination premature ejaculation and impotence, they still blamed her for not getting knocked up. So they poisoned her with fertility concoctions that made her poo poo her intestines out until she died. Eventually when Charles II died they found that he only had one single deformed testicle. The end. Pretty depressing.

Wiki says she died of appedictitis, although the article is really densely sprinkled with [citation needed]s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Louise_d%92Orl%E9ans

Oh wow german wiki says that they celebrated the marriage by autodafe'ing 22 people?? Also they say it was probably salmonella

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Joanna La Loca. Was she insane or did her father want her titles and shut a normal woman into a tower for her entire life? :iiam:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Bobby Digital posted:

I mean, we're all putrefying, just slowly. Papa Nurgle always gets his own.

:shrug:

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

Animal posted:

Queen Anne had to deal with seventeen pregnancies, and none of them lived past 3. I think most of them were miscarriages.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Animal posted:

Catherine Howard. There's a lot of slutshaming in the historiography, but the fact of the matter is she was literally a child, and men took advantage of her for all of her short life.

Anne of Cleves, on the other hand, played it like a boss.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

HEY GUNS posted:

whoever told you that had the wrong information; 17th century military people were big into embalming their important leaders. they trucked him home in a big procession. the imperialists did the same for pappenheim, who died on the same day, just in the opposite direction

edit: this is the cloth that was under his head while they were embalming him. it is now in their Rustkammer

Nelson got shipped home in a barrel of brandy if I recall right.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LingcodKilla posted:

Nelson got shipped home in a barrel of brandy if I recall right.

John Paul Jones buried in a lead coffin in a bath of alcohol.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Now I’m even more impressed by his bass playing

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mr Enderby posted:

Anne of Cleves, on the other hand, played it like a boss.
i love anne of cleves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Platystemon posted:

OK, I apologise for being gross, but does this actually work? Because I feel like the viscera would putrefy long before the alcohol reached them.

HEY GUNS posted:

i love anne of cleves

If you play the game of thrones you win, you die, or you get to chill out in a big country estate doing no harm to anyone.