Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm still baffled by trade. I just had pirates spawn in a system with an armed station :confused:

Being armed doesn't inherently stop spawning; what happens is trade value is turned into pirate probability, which can then be brought back down by the presence of ships and certain starbase buildings and modules. But if you've got a really rich route, spawn chance can still be above suppression if you don't have a fleet in-system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Ms Adequate posted:

Being armed doesn't inherently stop spawning; what happens is trade value is turned into pirate probability, which can then be brought back down by the presence of ships and certain starbase buildings and modules. But if you've got a really rich route, spawn chance can still be above suppression if you don't have a fleet in-system.

Are you sure about that? I have played multiple games under the understanding that an upgraded starbase made a system safe for any amount of trade, and haven't seen anything to contradict it.

The wiki backs me up:

quote:

Every trade route that goes through a system without an upgraded Starbase will attract piracy in that system, slowly growing for 10 years until it reaches 25% of the Trade Value going through the system.
https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Trade#Piracy

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Piracy is a lovely distraction and the last thing I need is another drain on my economy. Neutralize it with this mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1586735803

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Do you have any tips on how to play Servitors well in 2.2? I last played them when the game had tiles and loved everything about them, but I tried again when the game switched over to its current state and didn’t do that well.

Put Slow Breeders on your trophies, laugh your way to the bankinterstellar conquest

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

ulmont posted:

Are you sure about that? I have played multiple games under the understanding that an upgraded starbase made a system safe for any amount of trade, and haven't seen anything to contradict it.

The wiki backs me up:

Did they spawn in system with a base and everything, or did they come from next door?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Doctor Zero posted:

Did they spawn in system with a base and everything, or did they come from next door?
I was the one who posted about pirates spawning in a system with a starbase, and yes the spawned *in* the system with the starbase.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It can happen if there was already piracy in the system before the starbase was built. I had the same thing happen once while I was constructing a base along my main trade lane. The base prevents piracy levels from growing, but doesn't cause it to fall I think. Once my handful of Corvettes blew up the station that forced it to zero and it never mattered again.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Last night I looked at my phone and it was 10pm and I said "Just let me clean this up and I'll go to bed."

When I looked at my phone again it was 3:30am. It only felt like 11pm.

Game's good. Trying to figure out how to fight a Federation war on multiple fronts when my fleet limit only allows me to have one fleet that can survive a fight.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

It can happen if there was already piracy in the system before the starbase was built. I had the same thing happen once while I was constructing a base along my main trade lane. The base prevents piracy levels from growing, but doesn't cause it to fall I think. Once my handful of Corvettes blew up the station that forced it to zero and it never mattered again.
Ahhh yep this explains it. Its bizarre that it can happen and I find that kinda stupid that its a possibility but mechanically it makes sense.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Do gestalt / authoritarian races have migration issues even if you enable migration rights for all species? Or was I being too obsessive and not letting my planets get overpopulated? I was moving pops around the second anyone was unemployed (barring big changes that in early 2.2 dumped everyone out of jobs for awhile to reorganize).

Fhqwhgads posted:

Last night I looked at my phone and it was 10pm and I said "Just let me clean this up and I'll go to bed."

When I looked at my phone again it was 3:30am. It only felt like 11pm.

Game's good. Trying to figure out how to fight a Federation war on multiple fronts when my fleet limit only allows me to have one fleet that can survive a fight.
The first step to fighting a federation war is don't join federations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I made a bunch of custom empires based around movies, books, and games I like. And I also threw in some original creations I thought might be interesting. I was getting sick of generic AI empire 5634.

So I start a new game as an empire inspired by the Terran Federation in Starship Troopers. Turns out I am surrounded by The Blorg (Borg), Klangons (Klingons), and an advanced start Tyranid empire (devouring swarm). Also in the galaxy are Not Daleks, Gorn. :aaa:

Maybe I should make some good guy empires....

On the up side after building speed bump stations and thankfully having the Blorg and Not Daleks go after each other, I was able to break the backs of the Tyranids and I’m now recreating Starship Troopers in-game.

This is great. I should have done this a long time ago.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Today I am actually playing a game of Stellaris instead of running observer mode in fast forward.

Militaristic Post-Apocalyptic Technocracy with the backstory "We learned nothing".

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 5, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Doctor Zero posted:

I made a bunch of custom empires based around movies, books, and games I like. And I also threw in some original creations I thought might be interesting. I was getting sick of generic AI empire 5634.

So I start a new game as an empire inspired by the Terran Federation in Starship Troopers. Turns out I am surrounded by The Blorg (Borg), Klangons (Klingons), and an advanced start Tyranid empire (devouring swarm). Also in the galaxy are Not Daleks, Gorn. :aaa:

Maybe I should make some good guy empires....

On the up side after building speed bump stations and thankfully having the Blorg and Not Daleks go after each other, I was able to break the backs of the Tyranids and I’m now recreating Starship Troopers in-game.

This is great. I should have done this a long time ago.
This is awesome.

I just suffered the consequences of force-spawning some badboy civs in a vanilla Admiral difficulty game I started. I had a Devouring Swarm, Fanatic Purifier Mantis Shrimp, and a Determined Exterminator all spawn near me and hooo boy was saying alive a rough prospect. I managed to secure some relief when I managed a surgical strike at the FP Shrimp - I built a hellstation in a system with a Pulsar, drew their nearest fleet into it and massacred it by bringing my fleets in once they were engaged to the station, then rushed their homeworld and took it. Taking it gave me my 4th planet and like 40 same-biome slave pops to kick my economy into overdrive just in time for the DE robots to come knocking.

Splicer posted:

Today I am actually playing a game of Stellaris instead of running observer mode in fast forward.

Militaristic Post-Apocalyptic Technocracy with the backstory "We learned nothing".
lol

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Splicer posted:

I'm appreciating how realistic this concept is.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Splicer posted:

Doing a megacampaign for reality I see.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
It's too bad you can't do that and start off cyborgs to recreate the Omar ending from Deus Ex: Invisible War.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Doing a megacampaign for reality I see.

I always considered finding empty tomb world sol 3 to be the most realistic of all the options

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Darkrenown, I noticed that both the Zroni and Baol digsite spawns don't have a fallback in case there are no valid systems. I found this out when the 3rd Zroni spawn was in the same system as the Matriarch. By the time I had a large enough fleet to destroy her, there were no uncolonized worlds to spawn a new digsite on. All 5 Zroni digsites require unique habitable planets, with sites #2-5 also requiring them to be empty and either unowned or owned by the player.

The Baol spawn 3 also checks for an empty habitable planet. I would probably change it to a search for a valid system, and then if nothing exists have a fallback to spawn a new system nearby with the digsite in it.

code:
immediate = {
        closest_system = {
                limit = {
                        has_access_fleet = root.owner
                        NOR = {
                                is_same_value = root.solar_system
                                has_star_flag = first_zoroni_site @root.owner
                                is_same_value = root.owner.capital_scope.solar_system
                        }
                        OR = {
                                has_owner = no
                                owner = { is_same_value = root.owner }
                        }
                        any_system_planet = {
                                habitable_planet = yes
                                is_colony = no
                                has_anomaly = no
                                NOT = { exists = archaeological_site }
                        }
                }
                min_steps = 1
                max_steps = 10
                random_system_planet = {
                        limit = {
                                habitable_planet = yes
                                has_anomaly = no
                                is_colony = no
                                NOT = { exists = archaeological_site }
                        }
                        create_archaeological_site = zroni_digsite_3
                        add_deposit = d_zro_deposit_3
                }
        }
}

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
This was way too much work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1BdQcJ2ZYY

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

183 planets. :negative:

Colossi for the win.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I can't help but notice you have food production despite being killbots, friend...

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Shugojin posted:

I can't help but notice you have food production despite being killbots, friend...

I was too busy to demolish or replace all the agricultural districts on the last few civilizations I conquered

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Armacham posted:

I was too busy to demolish or replace all the agricultural districts on the last few civilizations I conquered

With the galaxy cleansed, the murderous killbots can engage their true passion: gardening.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Armacham posted:

I thought that automatically happened but I guess I'm misremembering :shobon:

e:

Great Beer posted:

With the galaxy cleansed, the murderous killbots can engage their true passion: gardening.

THE ORGANICS WERE WARNED TO KEEP OFF THE GRASS. THEY CHOSE NOT TO OBEY THE SIGNS.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Somehow I managed to make fanatic militarist materialist tombworld turtles that lost 85% of their fights. I even found the Azizian slugs but couldn't get them deployed because it was so hard to keep an economy going. It also didn't help that I lost a lot of early hardware going after crystal aliens and a really nasty Grand Dragon that popped out of the excavation of the Skaven homeworld.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Shugojin posted:

I thought that automatically happened but I guess I'm misremembering :shobon:

e:

THE ORGANICS WERE WARNED TO KEEP OFF THE GRASS. THEY CHOSE NOT TO OBEY THE SIGNS.
No you're right about machine worlds taking out the food districts. There are still a few errant hydroponics buildings floating around that I don't feel like tracking down with 183 planets

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

ulmont posted:

The wiki backs me up:

Huh well I thought I knew what was up but I guess not!

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Not sure how I feel about Megacorp. I bought it and so far the most significant addition was the annoying busy work of managing happiness because I got a criminal corp neighbor and they love spamming those buildings. So I have to conquer them completely to get them to stop? Even as a vassal/tribute they'll keep spamming? They are weaker but a big rear end sprawling empire and I don't want to manage their planets. I guess I can conquer them and then turn their sectors into vassals but still a bother.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

FuzzySlippers posted:

Not sure how I feel about Megacorp. I bought it and so far the most significant addition was the annoying busy work of managing happiness because I got a criminal corp neighbor and they love spamming those buildings. So I have to conquer them completely to get them to stop? Even as a vassal/tribute they'll keep spamming? They are weaker but a big rear end sprawling empire and I don't want to manage their planets. I guess I can conquer them and then turn their sectors into vassals but still a bother.
I had a problem with one and it turns out that if you have zero crime on a planet for long enough it closes down their underworld rear end in a top hat buildings

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I had a problem with one and it turns out that if you have zero crime on a planet for long enough it closes down their underworld rear end in a top hat buildings

Yeah I've killed like a dozen+ of their crime buildings by keeping zero crime. It's just tedious since they spam them all over my big rear end empire. My last conquest I forgot about replacing some of their buildings with police stations and while I wasn't paying attention suddenly I had crime everywhere there. The funny thing is I'm crazy high positive rep with them and a much bigger fleet so I wish I had a diplomatic option to tell them to knock it off.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

You can declare an expropriation war or something right and seize all their offices when you win.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Saros posted:

You can declare an expropriation war or something right and seize all their offices when you win.
Won't they just open them again as soon as the truce runs out?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Poil posted:

Won't they just open them again as soon as the truce runs out?

That seems to be the case. It'd be interesting if I could have a war goal of regime change. I just want them to stop being a criminal corp they can be lovely capitalists otherwise all they want.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice

FuzzySlippers posted:

That seems to be the case. It'd be interesting if I could have a war goal of regime change. I just want them to stop being a criminal corp they can be lovely capitalists otherwise all they want.

Switch your war policy from conquest to liberation. You’ll carve out a new state that matches your ideology.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'm doing an Inward Perfection/Agrarian Idyll empire, I have Battleships and Tier 5 Lasers/Railguns and it isn't even mid-game yet. It would be swell if any of these other empires would attack me, I want to try out my new toys.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Make a ship design (of each class) that has no weapons/shields/armor. Retrofit your entire fleet to these designs.

Your fleet power will drop to nothing.

Start insulting your neighbors.

When they declare, retrofit back to the good designs.

Make sure you have enough shipyards to retrofit quickly.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ConfusedUs posted:

Make a ship design (of each class) that has no weapons/shields/armor. Retrofit your entire fleet to these designs.

Your fleet power will drop to nothing.

Start insulting your neighbors.

When they declare, retrofit back to the good designs.

Make sure you have enough shipyards to retrofit quickly.

This is a war crime and I'm going to start doing it immediately

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Potato Salad posted:

This is a war crime and I'm going to start doing it immediately

I’ve played a couple of fanatic pacifist games where this was my primary method of expansion.

Mothball everything. Piss off neighbor. Retrofit everything. Crush them and take their poo poo.

Mothball everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ConfusedUs posted:

I’ve played a couple of fanatic pacifist games where this was my primary method of expansion.

Mothball everything. Piss off neighbor. Retrofit everything. Crush them and take their poo poo.

Mothball everything.

Only registered members can see post attachments!