Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

SPY x FAMILY (pronounced as Spy Family) is a new manga written and illustrated by Tatsuya Endo, author of Tista, Gekka Bijin, and I Spy. It’s fantastic and is published every other week online in Shonen Jump Plus. Read the official, free English simulpub HERE to support the author!

e: Why are some of the middle chapters unavailable to read on MangaPlus?

Clarste posted:

That's how they make money with this free service. You can read the first three chapters and the latest three, but if you want the ones in the middle you need to buy... something. I'm not sure if that something currently exists or not.

Latest chapters will still be available first on MangaPlus, but you'll have to search elsewhere to read the other chapters for now.

e2: Viz has licensed the series, so if you're a SJ member, you can also read the entire backlog directly at their website as well.

Overview
The master spy codenamed <Twilight> has spent his days on undercover missions, all for the dream of a better world. But one day, he receives a particularly difficult new order from command. For his mission, he must form a temporary family and start a new life?! A Spy/Action/Comedy about a one-of-a-kind family! (description from MangaPlus)

Or in other words, Mr. & Mrs. Smith plus adorable child/family antics.

Main Characters

/

Codename: Twilight / Lloyd Folger (aka Loid Forger)

Spy Dad. Member of Westalis’s intelligence organization, WISE, and is currently infiltrating the country of Ostania as a psychiatrist. Tasked with finding a child to infiltrate the prestigious school Eden Academy and gain access to his target, Donovan Desmond. A serious man who focuses on completing his mission, but ultimately wants to create a world where children won’t have to cry.

Yoru (aka Yor) Briar / ”Thorn Princess”

Hitman Mom. Office worker by day, contract killer working for Ostanian officials by night. She enters into a fake marriage with Twilight in order to maintain her own cover while also being unaware of his occupation as a spy. Kind of oblivious, but does her best!

Anya Folger

Esper Daughter. A 6? year-old (more like 4 or 5) currently on the run from the organization which gave her mind-reading powers. Was adopted by Twilight to fulfill his mission. Anya is probably one of the cutest child characters you’ll ever see in fiction :3:

Other Characters

Frankie

Lloyd’s Ostanian informant and basically Anya’s cool uncle.

Housemaster Henry Henderson

É L É G A N T

Damian Desmond

Youngest son of Donovan Desmond, Twilight’s target. A brat.

Becky Blackbell

Anya’s first friend, has strong big sister vibes. She’s cool!

Yuri Briar

Yor’s younger brother. Works for the Ostanian government as a Ministry elite. Actually second lieutenant of the State Security Service, the in-universe equivalent of the east German Stasi.

/

Bond :shittydog:

PRECOG DOG and a very good boy!

Why You Should Read It

SPY X FAMILY has great art, writing, and pacing! If you’re into the Cold War-East/West Berlin aesthetic at all, and/or appreciate characters with well-written personalities and motivations, then definitely check this series out.

Post more cool panels itt

Nondevor fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Just a heads-up: Anya is going to be Ania soon.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Clarste posted:

:negative:

I'll add that to the OP then. Still think Anya is catchier though.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Here's to an Élégant thread.

Clarste posted:

This is the opposite of what I just said. Although I expected it given the nameplate on her door. Does someone want to remind the japanese they don't really understand how to spell western names?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
To be fair, the author did not specifically ask for Ania, I'm just changing it ahead of time so it's less disruptive when they inevitably do.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nondevor posted:

Housemaster Henry Henderson

É L É G A N T
:golfclap: incarnate.

And finally this manga has its very own thread!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Wasn't it spy family?

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Darth TNT posted:

Wasn't it spy family?

I mean, it's written out as Spy x Family both on the official site and in the title. Pronounced as Spy Family though.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Nondevor posted:

I mean, it's written out as Spy x Family both on the official site and in the title. Pronounced as Spy Family though.

Ah, the Hunter Hunter situation.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Any(i?)a is cute as a button as everyone can clearly see but let's not ignore how cute our adorable fake married couple is. :3:

This manga is indeed très élégant.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Super Jay Mann posted:

Any(i?)a is cute as a button as everyone can clearly see but let's not ignore how cute our adorable fake married couple is. :3:

This manga is indeed très élégant.

They need a date night without incidents.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

chumbler posted:

They need a date night without incidents.

Heck, I'm sure they can turn a date night full of incidents into something romantic anyway. See: end of chapter 2.

That proposal scene is still one of the best of the series imo, but all of it is pretty great. Looking forward to how much better the inevitable real proposal will be, though :v:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Nondevor posted:

Heck, I'm sure they can turn a date night full of incidents into something romantic anyway. See: end of chapter 2.

That proposal scene is still one of the best of the series imo, but all of it is pretty great. Looking forward to how much better the inevitable real proposal will be, though :v:

Proposal via mutual attempted murder.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

They're going to impersonate the bride and the groom on a blind marriage between two mafia families in order to assassinate the other person; the jig's up at the altar when the veil is lifted but at that moment they'll also realize they're made for each other and get married for real

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Nondevor posted:

Anja will bring them together.:allears:

CupNoodleKing
Feb 17, 2011

Series good, names bad, Anya cute.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Nondevor posted:

There will absolutely be a chapter, that will begin with them wanting to kill each other, will consist of them demolishing the neighborhood while fighting each other and will end with them kissing passionately. That's non-negotiable. :colbert:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Nondevor posted:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
This manga is freaking amazing!
It's also being really well received. On the mangaplus site, it's the top series under One Piece and Dragon Ball Super. And volume 1 has passed over 300K sales after 22 days.

Please everyone poor one out for Gene Simmons cow.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Anya is so cute it should be illegal

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Kill All Humans posted:

Series good, names bad, Anya cute.

:yeah:

Nondevor posted:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Lt. Lizard posted:

There will absolutely be a chapter, that will begin with them wanting to kill each other, will consist of them demolishing the neighborhood while fighting each other and will end with them kissing passionately. That's non-negotiable. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU3WQVcfyCY

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
New Chapter is out.

Ah yes this is going to go great for Twilight

Yuri is the feds

Dexo fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 11, 2019

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I just binged through this and it is amazing. I love every character so much. Everyone having a different extremely important secret real job is a great gimmick, and Ania is going to save the world.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Dexo posted:

New Chapter is out.

Ah yes this is going to go great for Twilight

Yuri is the feds
Not the feds, the SSS.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Not the feds, the SSS.

Yeah especially since this is the whole east/west germany alternate history kind of story. Yori works for the Stasi.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

gnome7 posted:

I just binged through this and it is amazing. I love every character so much. Everyone having a different extremely important secret real job is a great gimmick, and Ania is going to save the world.

You did well.

This chapter instills a lot of confidence in me. I was wondering how serious this would end up being. The humor has been excellent, but I was hoping for more spy stuff and it looks like we're getting it. :)

Also lol at Loid reading chapter 1 of Ania's comic.

And I for one love the new Forger name. :allears:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Sure... Keep telling yourselves that.

Mulderman fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 11, 2019

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
One thing that is mildly bothering me about this manga is how Loid has zero curiosity towards Yor's skills. He is so meticulous about every other aspect of his mission but just kinda accepts that she can catch a flying tray of hot food with one foot in high heels or beat up half a dozen bad guys in an instant. I guess it's a sign of how warped his perception of normal is, but I think its very funny how he is so incredibly suspicious of everyone except the assassin he invited into his house. Sure she's extremely convenient for his mission, but its still very silly. Maybe her brother being uncle gestapo will improve Loid's paranoia.

Not to say that I think the manga would be better if he was more suspicious of her, it's just a very funny blind spot for this otherwise overcautious super spy to have.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

You know what they say, love makes blind.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
The YES / YES pillows absolutely killed me. Someone put me into a cryogenic chamber until the next bunch of chapters release. thanks in advance.

I’m glad the release schedule is biweekly instead of monthly, at least.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its weekly it just has breaks like everything else now and then

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Just read chapter 1: Lloyd is cool, Anya is adorable. Gonna be a fun read, going through the rest of it now for sure.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Next time, we will learn Yuri is actually Yur.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Elfface posted:

I dunno, I think Yuri makes sense in the European naming schemes as it's a Russian male name (e.g. Yuri Gagarin). But who knows!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Elfface posted:

Hunter from the future.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
By the way, the author has a twitter and usually posts illustrations whenever new chapters pop up. Chapter 11’s is Yuri.

https://twitter.com/_tatsuyaendo_/status/1160571048053506049

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Doing his best Aki from Chainsawman impersonation.