Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Just buy a new genesis they cost like 10 bucks for 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I got Julia and Poison with fight money, but haven't tried them since every time SFV tries to have a halfway decent character, they just won't let that character be fun normally and will essentially lock the second "half" of the character behind V-Trigger.

I was playing a long set the other day with one of my best friends, and we've played fighting games and SF since high school and we're now 30+. He was feeling bummed because the game just felt so ... off; every move was hella stubby, hit boxes were deceiving as gently caress even on lights, combo routes were limited, fireballs were bad, and you are still better off taking a throw 3 times in a row than missing and getting shimmied or eating a crush counter. I also had to explain to him that in their attempt to simplify things, they made it so that frame data is the only thing that matters; find your character's +2 or frame trap and then abuse. Some other moves might not even loving exist.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I think the modern herzog zwei is called airmech

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

P-Mack posted:

Somebody tell me what the real present day version of Herzog Zwei is okay I can't find my Genesis.

AirMech and if you want a 3D version StarHawk though like with WarHawk it's long dead.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man doing cr.Fierce thunder knuckle cancel in cr.Fierce again is some annoying rear end poo poo in SF4.

No I do not care the current topic is not about USF4 combo trials

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't think I've ever done a combo in a match in SF4

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:

Gutcruncher posted:

Just buy a new genesis they cost like 10 bucks for 3

Yeah, but a legit copy of the game is like $55 for the cart only on Ebay. I guess as long as it works nobody cares if the cart's a repro though. Or you just get an Everdrive and have near everything ever made on there so you can stare at a menu and go "Great, it's all there, I should go get something else done" once every other week.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

In Training posted:

Sakura and Yun are some fun combo chars

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Captain Baal posted:

Sakura and Yun are some fun combo chars

I can count on one hand the amount of times I've played SF4 since it was before I got into FGs, but I always like Juri when I played. SFV Juri is a warcrime

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is anyone else having trouble spectating in casual in samsho? I have never once viewed someone else's match all the way to the end, I always get dropped back to the lobby halfway through. I've never been dropped from an actual match

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

HerniaFlange posted:

Yeah, but a legit copy of the game is like $55 for the cart only on Ebay. I guess as long as it works nobody cares if the cart's a repro though. Or you just get an Everdrive and have near everything ever made on there so you can stare at a menu and go "Great, it's all there, I should go get something else done" once every other week.

Its coming to Switch with online play at some point for like $10

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

In Training posted:

does j.HK sweep count

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

In Training posted:

I can count on one hand the amount of times I've played SF4 since it was before I got into FGs, but I always like Juri when I played. SFV Juri is a warcrime

Did they ever change her or does she still take 3 charges plus v-trigger to do one real character's 3-hit combo worth of damage

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

exquisite tea posted:

If I had to design a fighting game I wouldn’t even start with character ideas but with about 40-45 enormously bullshit things, then try to spread them around equitably among the cast.

this is how smash ultimate works

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Saint Freak posted:

Did they ever change her or does she still take 3 charges plus v-trigger to do one real character's 3-hit combo worth of damage

They nerfed her if you would believe it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Her stocking specials thing is a neat idea, but unfortunately the rest of her is pretty bad besides some okay normals and her single, only v trigger I guess. Then G comes along and does the whole powering up thing much better.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Imagine working at capcom, pointing to Juri and telling your subordinates “this bitch right her, just gently caress her poo poo up”

Can you even live with yourself?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I always liked Viper more

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

imagine working at capcom

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Hey the Monster Hunter and DMC teams own a whole lot.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I always liked Viper more

Favorite SF character.

drat shame I suck.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Gutcruncher posted:

Imagine working at capcom, pointing to Juri and telling your subordinates “this bitch right her, just gently caress her poo poo up”

Can you even live with yourself?

sfv juri is just the laziest poo poo. Even their music guy just kinda threw up his hands and gave up.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

big nipples big life posted:

Hey the Monster Hunter and DMC teams own a whole lot.
It's actually fascinating just how much Capcom Dev 1 (who do DMC and RE) have their poo poo together in comparison to the fighting game guys. Capcom is a land of contrasts indeed.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

In Training posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvDCciuBRpc

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
the sfv juri theme aounds like its recorded outside the club where the real juri theme is playing inside

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The worst song ive ever heard

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zand posted:

the sfv juri theme aounds like its recorded outside the club where the real juri theme is playing inside
this is how it feels to play sfv juri also

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:
Woolie just posted this vid of a new indie fighter called Arcus Chroma, and visually it looks great (the direction Nidhogg 2 should have gone in in my opinion, even though I love the weird freaky style it has as well), but there's no jumping so that feels weird. Would anyone be interested in a trip report if I buy it? It's in an early access state but it's only 8 euros, so about $9 and I've spent more on worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HMsOTEBOX0&t=465s

HerniaFlange fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 10, 2019

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

The Kins posted:

It's actually fascinating just how much Capcom Dev 1 (who do DMC and RE) have their poo poo together in comparison to the fighting game guys. Capcom is a land of contrasts indeed.

It's pretty frustrating to look at what Capcom's done since MHW dropped and having a hell of a run (MM11, REmake 2, DMCV)... while getting nothing FG-wise. Hell, the best thing that's happened to SF in that period is Ken getting announced for Smash.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

chumbler posted:

Her stocking specials thing is a neat idea, but unfortunately the rest of her is pretty bad besides some okay normals and her single, only v trigger I guess. Then G comes along and does the whole powering up thing much better.

play AC jam

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

HerniaFlange posted:

Woolie just posted this vid of a new indie fighter called Arcus Chroma, and visually it looks great (the direction Nidhogg 2 should have gone in in my opinion, even though I love the weird freaky style it has as well), but there's no jumping so that feels weird. Would anyone be interested in a trip report if I buy it? It's in an early access state but it's only 8 euros, so about $9 and I've spent more on worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HMsOTEBOX0&t=465s

I picked it up a while back, it's still pretty raw tbf. The button feel is good even if moves are a bit stubby and walkspeed is nice. There's a command overhead that works pretty much like assault in unist and forward/back dodges that can cross up.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

If I had to design a fighting game I wouldn’t even start with character ideas but with about 40-45 enormously bullshit things, then try to spread them around equitably among the cast.

Did you work on SoulCalibur VI?

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

DiscoJ posted:

I love the everyone has dumb bullshit of game design so much.

dhamster posted:

sfv juri is just the laziest poo poo. Even their music guy just kinda threw up his hands and gave up.

Is she still super negative on everything too? Man I remember when they last announced Juri got nerfed watching literally everyone go loving why!!??! was great

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

SirKibbles posted:

I love the everyone has dumb bullshit of game design so much.

Agreed, UNIST owns

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Xand_Man posted:

Agreed, bbtag owns

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DiscoJ posted:

If I did then Hilde would already be in the drat game, hire me Okubo-san.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
Beating a dead horse somewhat but still relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G451d4cXHM0

Momochi ragged on the lack of proximity normals and how the SF5 neutral game sucks pretty much right after this thread started talking about it.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I'll die on this hill. What are the upsides of proximity normals that offsets not having complete control over which button you get? Assume that my opponent is just as good at spacing as I am.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I play Boxer in ST and Chun in 3S, btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

I'll die on this hill. What are the upsides of proximity normals that offsets not having complete control over which button you get? Assume that my opponent is just as good at spacing as I am.
Well,

Broken Loose posted:

I play Boxer in ST and Chun in 3S, btw
ill answer your question but first would you like to enjoy a fine cask of amontillado