Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

What's is this?

This is an interactive FMV game set in the Star Trek universe. It plays almost exactly like Star Trek: Klingon. We watch a variety of cutscenes and within each one we need to make a correct choice to advance the game further. There are no Klingons or Holodecks in this game. But we do have a new host, one that you will probably recognise:

We play as Qaylan, our father died in battle and Q gives us a unique opportunity to relive and possibly change the outcome of what happened. John de Lancie reprises his role as Q for this game. For anyone who doesn't know who he is, I will copy and paste this entry from Wikipedia:

quote:

He is an extra-dimensional being of unknown origin who possesses immeasurable power over normal human notions of time, space, the laws of physics, and reality itself, being capable of altering it to his whim. Despite his vast knowledge and experience spanning untold eons (and much to the exasperation of the object(s) of his obsession), he is not above practical jokes for his own personal amusement, for a Machiavellian and manipulative purpose, or to prove a point. He is said to be almost omnipotent, and he is continually evasive regarding his true motivations.

How does it play?

This is an interactive movie, we watch one or more cutscenes in each scenario and are presented with a choice to make. Only one choice in each scenario is correct, each scenario contains at least one or more wrong choices. If you make a wrong choice a variety of things can happen, either the scene resets, we get chastised for making the wrong choice, or the game ends in some situations. Not making a choice is also a valid option in some of the scenarios.

LP details

This will play out pretty much exactly like Klingon. This LP will only contain two videos of the main playthrough as without commentary, this game is less than forty-five minutes long. There will be three additional videos to go along with this LP.

There are plenty of wrong choices to be made. Some follow alternate pathways which ultimately lead to dead ends, some of the wrong choices are the only way to find the answers to several of the puzzles and some of the wrong choices are there for amusement. There are a lot of wrong choices, I have separated them into two videos to accompany each part of this LP.

In this game, Q gives us a special tricorder which enables us to pause a scenario and gather pieces of information. This function is the only way to solve several scenarios within the game, there are plenty of other things that have tricorder entries too. I'll be compiling them all into one video at some point.

Let's Play: Star Trek: Borg

Bonus Videos
Alternate Choices (Part 1)
Alternate Choices (Part 2)
Alternate Choices (Part 3)
Tricorder A-Z

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
It really bothers me that when you go back to Wolf 359 that they are using Voyager era uniforms and consoles. The uniforms are especially since the gal that is briefing the cadets at the beginning is wearing a TNG Era uniform.

Also, I can never get enough of John De Lancie.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

mateo360 posted:

It really bothers me that when you go back to Wolf 359 that they are using Voyager era uniforms and consoles. The uniforms are especially since the gal that is briefing the cadets at the beginning is wearing a TNG Era uniform.

Also, I can never get enough of John De Lancie.

From what I've read, there was a shortage of TNG era uniforms at the time of filming. Most likely though, they used the sets and uniforms from Voyager because they were around and could be used for next to nothing. Consistency probably got thrown out of the window when the subject of the budget came up.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
This game better have a rippin' tune in it somewhere.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

From what I've read, there was a shortage of TNG era uniforms at the time of filming. Most likely though, they used the sets and uniforms from Voyager because they were around and could be used for next to nothing. Consistency probably got thrown out of the window when the subject of the budget came up.

The same thing happened during the filming of Star Trek: Generations. The main cast conspicuously swaps back and forth between the TNG and DS9/VOY uniforms depending on the scene being shot at the moment and using literally whatever they could grab. See: Jonathan Frakes wearing a Voyager uniform that's about 2 sizes too small for him for the entire second act of the film because Riker's TNG uniform wasn't available.

Personally speaking, I really dislike the Voyager uniforms. DS9 was right to ditch them and switch to the First Contact ones as soon as they could, and honestly, Voyager should have too as soon as they got back in contact with Starfleet again. Just like bullshit some excuse like "Oh hey, Starfleet sent specifications for the new uniforms in their latest transmission so we've replicated replacements for everyone"... but Voyager was an exercise in being cheap and lazy, so :effort:

Kick Q in the dick

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
My favorite part is all the chairs with casters. Given what might happen to a ship's contents if inertial damping or artificial gravity fails, having a bridge full of wheely seats seems like a mildly terrible idea...

Also I love how this game finally explains why consoles explode all the time: what do you expect when you run main power taps through them all?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

My favorite part is all the chairs with casters. Given what might happen to a ship's contents if inertial damping or artificial gravity fails, having a bridge full of wheely seats seems like a mildly terrible idea...

Also I love how this game finally explains why consoles explode all the time: what do you expect when you run main power taps through them all?

They're literally swivel chairs from Staples or Office Depot. At least on Voyager itself they got proper stationary chairs for their non-hero Starfleet bridge sets like the Prometheus and the Equinox. Hell, even the Dauntless at least used barely disguised bar stools for its bridge chairs.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

The Man, the Myth, the Legend posted:

Q: You're not afraid of a little space-time continuum-meddling, are you, Cadet? No, I thought not! Shall we?

And that's how you get dragged into an adventure with style!

Seconding kick Q in the crotch, though I think punching him in the face is also an acceptable solution to that, uh, "puzzle."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Snorb posted:

And that's how you get dragged into an adventure with style!

Seconding kick Q in the crotch, though I think punching him in the face is also an acceptable solution to that, uh, "puzzle."

I do appreciate that as much as Q trolls you over the course of the game, he's always on your side when push comes to shove. TNG painted Q as humanity's judge, but really he's humanity's rear end in a top hat defense attorney :allears:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Yeah as much as I also love how corny it is to choose to brush him aside and listen to your dad like a good son :allears:, I gotta go with everyone else and say knee him in the celestial junk. Everyone tried that first, and the glee when it worked is beyond words.

My first time through the game I spent a lot of it being really suspicious of dear ol' dad because of just how much he does weird things in the start. Beating you to the core, by enough time to start the procedure without you and find the weird borg thing, when you got in a direct turbolift ride first. Speaking of which, how the hell did the other borg install it without anyone stationed there noticing? There's at least two other people just working there. And then the multiple layers of bullshit that are that last scene in the video: palming the commbadge, somehow not minding at all that you just decked him and then tampered with his weapon (nevermind know that you did while he was unconscious), the fact that iirc the borg comes from a different direction when you succeed, and then how does everyone seem to know where to find the load-bearing borg circuit straight away? Young me did not yet understand just how goddamn cheesy FMV games would be, or how hilarious they could be.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

What's with all this desire for violence on Q? He's singled us out for a mission to save our own father.

Peace is also an option too, you know?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
True, but how often do you get the opportunity to kick an omnipotent being in the balls and get away with it?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Felinoid posted:

My first time through the game I spent a lot of it being really suspicious of dear ol' dad because of just how much he does weird things in the start. Beating you to the core, by enough time to start the procedure without you and find the weird borg thing, when you got in a direct turbolift ride first. Speaking of which, how the hell did the other borg install it without anyone stationed there noticing? There's at least two other people just working there. And then the multiple layers of bullshit that are that last scene in the video: palming the commbadge, somehow not minding at all that you just decked him and then tampered with his weapon (nevermind know that you did while he was unconscious), the fact that iirc the borg comes from a different direction when you succeed, and then how does everyone seem to know where to find the load-bearing borg circuit straight away? Young me did not yet understand just how goddamn cheesy FMV games would be, or how hilarious they could be.

I was very confused about Furlong beating us to the computer core, I actually quit the game and reloaded because I thought that I initially got the code wrong. I had the same thoughts about the borg device being installed without anyone noticing, did it happen during their lunch break? The only explanation I can think of for the punch was the lack of vocal cords in the main character, but there's no actual explanation of why this is so. If Qaylan really can't speak or communicate then it just raises a lot of questions, why he doesn't use some form of sign language and why does he feels like punching people in the face is a valid form of communication?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I if am remembering correctly, The computer core is usually a low maned area if it needs any manning at all. The problem with it here is they redressed Voyager's Engineering set and then decided to populate the stations and chairs.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

mateo360 posted:

I if am remembering correctly, The computer core is usually a low maned area if it needs any manning at all. The problem with it here is they redressed Voyager's Engineering set and then decided to populate the stations and chairs.

I'm pretty sure they featured the computer core in at least one episode of TNG and/or Voyager and it was basically just a big closet that no one was meant to be in except for maintenance purposes. Computer cores on Federation starships are supposed to be powerful and smart enough to usually be able to maintain themselves without being a full-blown self-aware AI like Data, the Doctor, Moriarty, or Vic Fontaine.

Although Q briefly makes Voyager's main computer sentient as a joke and it immediately tells Janeway to go gently caress herself, which was just :discourse:, and Geordi almost accidentally made the Enterprise-D's main computer sentient too and gave it a body in the form of Leah Brahms.

But yeah, like I'd imagine there'd be at last one Lower Decks type officer hovering nearby the core who basically acted as the ship's internal systems administrator or server maintenance tech.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the first bonus video, it contains all the wrong choices that can be made during the first part of this LP: Wrong Choices (Part 1)

Regarding the computer core, I believe that the USS Righteous is an Excelsior-class ship. According to Memory Alpha, Excelsior-class ships contain three computer cores. The extra personnel seen in the game may just be down to the discovery of the Borg device.

On a side note, I think that I've recorded all the available tricorder entries. The third disc of the game is really buggy, so it may be possible that I may have missed one or two in the late stages.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
the wrong choices highlight another continuity problem I have with this game. Assimilating Sprint and Furlong. Best of Both Worlds made a big deal out of Picard being assimilated. That had that whole scene of him on the table where they gave him his prosthetic arm and paled his skin. I don't think they are suppose to be able assimilate on the fly at this point.

Basically this game is a timeline mess since they made it so much later then when it's suppose to take place.

Also I have always loved the first wrong turbolift destination. "Why? Because I can."

EDIT: I think you missed a choice on the bridge attack. If I remember right you can also hit the small adjust frequency button on Baraka's phaser as you are fight with him for it.

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 10, 2019

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

mateo360 posted:

EDIT: I think you missed a choice on the bridge attack. If I remember right you can also hit the small adjust frequency button on Baraka's phaser as you are fight with him for it.

Thank you for mentioning it, someone else pointed it out too. I've just finished re-encoding the second part after recording it and the additional choices afterwards.

Amwhere
Jan 3, 2013
The only reason that I posted it over on Youtube was because you hadn't updated the post yet. :)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

TaQtical Officer posted:

Q: THE BORG ARE FIRING!!! WE'RE GONNA DIE!!! ...and it's your fault! :D

Once again, quoting probably my favorite line in the game. In a way, I wish there were more FMV Trek games-- these two were awesome just for Robert O'Reilly and John deLancie's performances.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Snorb posted:

Once again, quoting probably my favorite line in the game. In a way, I wish there were more FMV Trek games-- these two were awesome just for Robert O'Reilly and John deLancie's performances.

It's not a game, but if you get the chance I'd highly recommend listening to Spock vs. Q and Spock vs. Q: The Sequel. It is exactly what it says on the tin; Leonard Nimoy and John de Lancie being absolutely hilarious dunking on one another in-character in front of a live audience.

For example:

quote:

Spock: What if we were to engage in a sport?
Q: What's in it for moi?
Spock: What would you like?
Q: Teach me that mind meld trick.
Spock: Ah, you are unable to do that... what a pity.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 11, 2019

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The second and final episode of the main playthrough. When I recorded this I didn't realise that there was a Bijani entry in the tricorder, so I missed out on extra reasoning with solving the second scenario. It's nothing major though. There was a moment later on where Furlong was reminiscing and Q made a comment, I was going to point out about the POV going to poo poo but I didn't want to disturb the peace and happy moments. There are still two more additional videos to follow this.

nine-gear crow posted:

It's not a game, but if you get the chance I'd highly recommend listening to Spock vs. Q and Spock vs. Q: The Sequel. It is exactly what it says on the tin; Leonard Nimoy and John de Lancie being absolutely hilarious dunking on one another in-character in front of a live audience.

For example:

Thank you for the recommendation, I'll check this out for sure.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I didn't know you could grab Targius' arm. I thought it was another case of fail for the answer cause after shooting the borg and then going back, Furlong will stop her from shooting

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

mateo360 posted:

I didn't know you could grab Targius' arm. I thought it was another case of fail for the answer cause after shooting the borg and then going back, Furlong will stop her from shooting

That scene, in particular, is pretty notorious for being bugged. Disc three, in general, has some serious issues with picking up mouse inputs. I didn't even realise that Furlong eventually steps in. I'll have to check this out before I upload the next video upload.

Edit: I've just found it and have recorded it. Thank you!

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 13, 2019

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
When it comes to the tricorder, Q had some pretty interesting commentary in the entry for scanning your hand. (I think there's different entries for "Bijani Hand" and "Bijani Hand (Assimilated)."

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Snorb posted:

When it comes to the tricorder, Q had some pretty interesting commentary in the entry for scanning your hand. (I think there's different entries for "Bijani Hand" and "Bijani Hand (Assimilated)."

Thank you for the tip, I managed to find the Borg Hand entry. I've tried multiple scenarios to find the Bijani Hand but to no avail. Along the way, I managed to find a few more entries that I had missed. I will attempt another sweep of disc three Thursday morning in case I missed anything due to how hit and miss the input is. Apparently, there's an entry for Bulkheads but I'm yet to find it for myself.

I'll upload the second and final video for the wrong choices tomorrow morning. I hope that I haven't missed anything out.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Wrong Choices (Part 2)

The second and final video of the wrong choices. I'll upload the tricorder video in a couple of days time.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
holy poo poo that "come on, everybody. let's go" failure. EVERYONE is disappointed!

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Wrong Choices (Part 2)

The second and final video of the wrong choices. I'll upload the tricorder video in a couple of days time.

Once more you missed one. After Q stops you from plugging the implant into the computer, he doesn't stop you if you try again.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Holy crap he also missed one of the best scenes. Assuming he wasn't just planning to put it in another video since it doesn't really fit as a "wrong" choice. Click on your dad when he wants to brag about you, and he will. It's sappy as hell and I love it. :allears:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I will put together a short part three within the next couple of days. Thank you for letting me know. If there's any more, please let me know.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I'm not 100% sure how to trigger it, but I know there's a video of you and Q in the white void after screwing up a decision. He holds your tricorder in your face and simply says "Idiot!".

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Snorb posted:

I'm not 100% sure how to trigger it, but I know there's a video of you and Q in the white void after screwing up a decision. He holds your tricorder in your face and simply says "Idiot!".

I think that happens in the scenario that mateo360 mentioned above.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I love how Q retains some knowledge of what happens between loops and it just makes him seem like an even bigger rear end in a top hat than before.

Qaylan: [Hyposprays Targus into a vegetative state]
Q: You should have just shot her.
Qaylan: [Shoots Targus]
Q: WHAT DID YOU DO THAT FOR?!

You told me to, rear end in a top hat!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

I love how Q retains some knowledge of what happens between loops and it just makes him seem like an even bigger rear end in a top hat than before.

Qaylan: [Hyposprays Targus into a vegetative state]
Q: You should have just shot her.
Qaylan: [Shoots Targus]
Q: WHAT DID YOU DO THAT FOR?!

You told me to, rear end in a top hat!

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Watching Wrong Choices Part 2, I just noticed that Furlong actually puts in the sequence for Bijani adrenaline (around 8:17, starting from "Hold on, buddy! I need you conscious!") when you get shot instead of the adrenaline blocker. I guess it's there in case you aren't using the tricorder.

Also, I like the implication that you're the only one who can actually see Q for who he is-- as far as Targus is concerned, you grabbed a random Borg, stared at him for a few seconds, then let him go for absolutely no apparent reason. (Apparently she didn't hear "Do you think you're fast enough? Do you really think that'll work on me?" and "You'll be back. Maybe more than once!" either.)

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Snorb posted:

Watching Wrong Choices Part 2, I just noticed that Furlong actually puts in the sequence for Bijani adrenaline (around 8:17, starting from "Hold on, buddy! I need you conscious!") when you get shot instead of the adrenaline blocker. I guess it's there in case you aren't using the tricorder.

Also, I like the implication that you're the only one who can actually see Q for who he is-- as far as Targus is concerned, you grabbed a random Borg, stared at him for a few seconds, then let him go for absolutely no apparent reason. (Apparently she didn't hear "Do you think you're fast enough? Do you really think that'll work on me?" and "You'll be back. Maybe more than once!" either.)

I'll give this a try now. If it's there or not I'll encode the video and upload it afterwards along with the third video of wrong\alternate choices. I would have done it earlier but I had a trip out to London with my youngest. This LP, as well as the Trek adventure saga, will be over in a few short hours.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I had forgotten that I already encoded the video last night. If I had found the entry I would have edited and re-encoded it. It seems like I was having some sound issues that I wasn't aware of during my first recording session of these entries. To be brutally honest, I'm feeling burnt out at the moment and I don't have the willpower to go back in and redo them again. I apologise for the variations in sound quality.

Tricorder A-Z

I've renamed the "Wrong" choices to "Alternate" as not all of them are wrong, and some of them are correct as they are the only way to find the answers to some of the puzzles. Here are the two suggested by mateo360 and Felinoid:

Alternate Choices (Part 3)

Thank you, everyone, for the suggestions and contributions during this LP. I had never played this before and it was an enjoyable experience, John de Lancie was a delight in his reprisal of Q. The game itself was cheesy as hell and very low budget compared to Klingon but it was good fun.

Thank you, everyone, who has been involved in any of the other Trek adventure game LP's too. This all started six months (and a day) ago and now it's ending now after the fifth and final game. I may return with another Trek game or two in the future (Star Trek: The Fallen intrigues me) but for now, I will be concentrating on a list of other games that I want to LP. I'm going to be taking a break for a short time as it's been pretty much non-stop these past few months with the LP's, kids and a full-time job. I'll be preparing for the next one within the next week or two which will take me well out of my comfort zone. If anyone is interested I'll be returning soon with We Happy Few. This has been an extremely fun ride and I'm very grateful for you all, these LP's were made so much better with a lot of input and suggestions from a lot of people. I feel a little emotional now I'm saying goodbye to all of this.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
odd, I could have sworn I was able to plug it in to the console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

The most honest tricorder entry posted:

Q: "Jefferies tube: Conduit routing system." I hope somebody knows what that means, because I don't.

As always, Rocket, thanks for the LPs. I enjoyed watching them, and I hope I didn't overwhelm you too much with library computer data.