Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

ilitarist posted:

Wouldn't something like "decided to view you as a rival for now" sound better than that incompetence thing? "Incompetence" makes you think it's something about score or alignment.

Even pithier would be “hates your stupid face”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
Disappointed that I can't have my Vanguard troopers fix laser-bayonets and charge the enemy. Also I can infect my Assembly cyborgs with the Xenoplague but I can't cyborgize my horrible gribbly beasts. The game is overall pretty good, though.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

What's a good secret tech for the Kir'ko? They look cool, but I was messing around with them and having a harder time wrapping my brain around them than the Dvar, which I found pretty straightforward.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Jester Mcgee posted:

What's a good secret tech for the Kir'ko? They look cool, but I was messing around with them and having a harder time wrapping my brain around them than the Dvar, which I found pretty straightforward.

Celestrian is a pretty powerful combo with them since it adds a ton of healing which is one of their bigger native weaknesses and a bunch of unit synergy.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Same question, but for Dvar. Promethean? Synthesis (since they have a fair number of mechanicals)?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
According to my friend, you sholdn't be afraid to go to war if you have a chance to grab a small settlement of another faction, and that spending 60 influence to nab an NPC settlement is very much worth it. Some of the easy to research early techs can actually help other faction more than their original one. The very first Vanguard tech gives you a mod that is great for everyone, for example. You don't even have to wait to assimilate a settlement, just take it, hold it a few turns to do the research, then bug out.

He chooses secret tech based on weapons used by a faction. For example, if a faction has a lot of repeating balistic weapons, there's a mod combo with the prometheans, one gives your weapon aoe burning attacks, and the other gives you extra accuracy and damage against people set on fire.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

Zore posted:

Celestrian is a pretty powerful combo with them since it adds a ton of healing which is one of their bigger native weaknesses and a bunch of unit synergy.

I think I don't understand something about Celestrian, because I was checking out the tech tree and couldn't figure out how it adds healing. It looked like it had a bunch of tools that did weird individual things like lower enemy units morale and stuff.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
My current wishlist of Stuff I want (or to be told how to do it):

Repeating production in cities.
"Auto move new units to here" production option in cities.
Move production to the top. (Maybe shift + click the arrow on the build order?)

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Zore posted:

"native weaknesses"? They get a really early mod that flat-out adds regeneration, don't they?

Synergy I agree with, Celestian is all about melee.

Jester Mcgee posted:

I think I don't understand something about Celestrian, because I was checking out the tech tree and couldn't figure out how it adds healing. It looked like it had a bunch of tools that did weird individual things like lower enemy units morale and stuff.

They have a tactical operation that heals based on the number of Enlightened units you control in the fight. I think one of the higher tier units gets the same as an ability? I might be forgetting/mistaking it for something else.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Thyrork posted:

My current wishlist of Stuff I want (or to be told how to do it):

Repeating production in cities.
"Auto move new units to here" production option in cities.
Move production to the top. (Maybe shift + click the arrow on the build order?)

Second one is already there, mouse over any item in the production queue (except the first), you'll see a little upwards arrow appear you can click.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Jester Mcgee posted:

Their very first tactical operation is a direct heal which is super useful early on when you still have mostly melee units who can get focused down easily.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

Second one is already there, mouse over any item in the production queue (except the first), you'll see a little upwards arrow appear you can click.

This is such bad UX. I'd also been looking fruitlessly.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
Counterpoint: I found it easily.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Seen multiple comments about the strength of early units juiced up for late game

What about actual high tier units though?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

victrix posted:

Seen multiple comments about the strength of early units juiced up for late game

Highly-modded T3 and T4 units are terrifying juggernauts of death, but they are also insanely impractical to field. A boatload of production and Cosmite for each one.

Also, what the hell? The Vanguard campaign only goes for two missions?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

toasterwarrior posted:

Highly-modded T3 and T4 units are terrifying juggernauts of death, but they are also insanely impractical to field. A boatload of production and Cosmite for each one.

Also, what the hell? The Vanguard campaign only goes for two missions?

It looks like the campaign is two per faction with a ? finale to me.

Gerblyn posted:

Thankya.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

What about un- or minimally modded?

Just curious if the balance is better than it was in 3 basically, can't tell if people talking about jacked low tier units are just jazzed it's good or if high tier stuff doesn't compare as well due to cost if you're being aggressive and not playing Sims for a long time.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

AoW3 campaigns had high-tier units outclassing lower tiers so hard you would just advance and forget from what I remember.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

Gotcha. Hopefully I still have a save from then I can use.

EDIT: Nope, doesn't seem to have worked :(

I feel like the campaign has some bugged or poorly-communicated quest paths here. It seems like there are multiple win conditions for most maps, and it's not obvious which ones qualify for changing the next mission.

First bit of confusion was Kir'Ko mission one - I killed my inner darkness, agreed to help the celestians, visited the temple, had a vision with my no-longer evil powers.. and next mission i was still psynumbra? Someone told me they managed to get Voidtech at the end of that one by following the psy-fish sidequest line - I ended up winning before my chrysalis evolved to max, it was close, though.

In Syndicate mission 1, I had the named hero you start who was part of the questline die, and he gave his daemon to me as he died - when I captured the synthesis temple, i put the daemon in the Avatar and he talked briefly and then it suddenly swapped over to dialogue with the Psynumbra guy as if I had just captured the Psynumbra temple instead and asked if i wanted a taste of more power despite not having seen any power at all due to having not helped him with his psynumbra temple. I could agree to help him or not with killing the vanguard but it feels like i got weirdly redirected there..

In Vanguard Mission 2 I went to the university, saw my assembly'd boyfriend, and won on the same turn i encountered an assembly player which triggered some dialogue implying his quest chain continued - so i might have screwed up a sidequest there by not encountering the assembly fast enough

I think the main problem I've had with the campaign though is it's possible to win every single map I've seen so far without fighting a single player, barring MAYBE syndicate 1. On Vanguard 1 and 2, and Kirko 1, I beat both maps by just blandly agreeing with everyone i met with and picking the peaceful option and slamming always-accepted peace treaties with good neighbor to not interrupt my expansion and then defensive pacts and alliances if necessary until nobody on the map is not at peace with me, and then just going around going to the various locations the quests pointed me to until victory. Sometimes one person would declare war at me but I'd win before they even managed to attack me once as I still had easily-reached goals on the map.

Even 'good' and 'peaceful' paths should have at least an objective where you have to beat one player otherwise the map kinda fizzles out extremely early - your starting army with a few mods is strong enough to kill almost every single neutral location that might be blocking a quest, so you don't have an incentive to upgrade like you would in a long fight with another player.

Neutral locations other than that horribly rude voidtech facility with the stasis-inflicting voidtech tanks and duplicating enemies are all a total faceroll and could use some love, I think.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

victrix posted:

What about un- or minimally modded?

Just curious if the balance is better than it was in 3 basically, can't tell if people talking about jacked low tier units are just jazzed it's good or if high tier stuff doesn't compare as well due to cost if you're being aggressive and not playing Sims for a long time.

I'll use the T1 Vanguard Trooper versus the T3 Vanguard Walker for this example, mainly because the Walker has a kinetic repeating weapon like the Trooper does, while the Gunship is a T2 unit and therefore a bit more practical to field.

Trooper - 40 energy, 150 production, 40HP, 1 armor, 32 move

- shoots for 9 kinetic, 7 range, 90% accuracy
- grenade with 8 kinetic, 3 range, AoE of 1, Stagger, Demolisher, single action
- Overwatch and Steady Aim (+15% accuracy while in cover)
- can take cover

Walker - 140 energy, 440 production, 25 Cosmite, 60HP, 3 armor, 24 move

- shoots for 11 kinetic, 7 range, 90% accuracy
- rocket with 20 kinetic, 9 range, AoE of 1, Massive Stagger, Demolisher, single action
- resistant to psychic powers, weak to arc
- Overwatch
- usually can't take cover

That's roughly about 3 Troopers to 1 Walker, and the Walker has more utility thanks to the near-max range rocket with stagger and demo. Max modded Troopers with, say, Jetpacks, ammo of choice, and Rail Accelerators (+1 range, +10% accuracy and damage) would probably be rated around 2 Troopers per Walker in terms of energy and production, with significantly more Cosmite. That'll give them the same amount of kinetic damage per full action bar, with Jetpacks more or less giving them at least one full salvo of shooting, while the Walker's circumstances may not be so generous. In addition, the ammo for the Troopers can be either kinetic, thermal, or arc, so you can tailor them to the specific enemy.

All in all, modded T1s (at least, Vanguard Troopers) cost a lot more Cosmite overall but are probably significantly more efficient because they can be fielded at least 2 to 1, with the two units being able to heavily damage/kill a unit on their own while the T3 can gently caress a specific unit up badly. I think it's a measure of Cosmite production; if you can build T3s regularly and still have the Cosmite to give them a single mod, they'll beat out T1s in sheer power.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

victrix posted:

I've been using T3/T4 units a lot, going so far as to prioritize getting them very quickly on my second playthrough, and it's worked out great. T4 in particular tends to be really devastatingly powerful with gamechanging abilities. Last night I had a battle where I was rocking a single army and was completely surrounded by Dvar groups full of trash that in total doubled my ~3.5k army value. On the battle map I started out surrounded in the open with all of their forces being in range by turn 2. I crushed it and left with more health than I started because my units can heal themselves and each of them are killing/stunning multiple Trenchers on every turn.

They cost a lot of cosmite to build and mod out, but you also rarely have to replace them because they're sturdy enough to not eat poo poo instantly and often have fantastic survivability tools. Once you start kitting out Tier 1 units with expensive mods the cosmite difference isn't even that huge. Checking right now my T1 loadout costs 40 cosmite (not even using the most expensive mods). My T3 units are 44-54 (very minor increase), and it's 94 for my T4 hoverboat. 94 is a lot but that thing is a hell of a lot better than 2.35 Indentured. And regardless, the AI is typically extremely willing to trade away all of their cosmite for energy so it's not that bad of a bottleneck.

I also find that it's easier to position with fewer, more elite troops. You start running out of good spots to attack from pretty quickly if you cover the map in T1 units and it makes you very susceptible to AoE.

The biggest issue with them, at least from playing Syndicate and Assembly, is that they have slower movement speed on the campaign map which drags your entire army down. Not sure if it's the same for every faction.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 10, 2019

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Vargs posted:

I've been using T3/T4 units a lot, going so far as to prioritize getting them very quickly on my second playthrough, and it's worked out great. T4 in particular tends to be really devastatingly powerful with gamechanging abilities. Last night I had a battle where I was rocking a single army and was completely surrounded by Dvar groups full of trash that in total doubled my ~3.5k army value. On the battle map I started out surrounded in the open with all of their forces being in range by turn 2. I crushed it and left with more health than I started because my units can heal themselves and each of them are killing/stunning multiple Trenchers on every turn.

They cost a lot of cosmite to build and mod out, but you also rarely have to replace them because they're sturdy enough to not eat poo poo instantly and often have fantastic survivability tools. Once you start kitting out Tier 1 units with expensive mods the cosmite difference isn't even that huge. Checking right now my T1 loadout costs 40 cosmite (not even using the most expensive mods). My T3 units are 44-54 (very minor increase), and it's 94 for my T4 hoverboat. 94 is a lot but that thing is a hell of a lot better than 2.35 Indentured. And regardless, the AI is typically extremely willing to trade away all of their cosmite for energy so it's not that bad of a bottleneck.

I also find that it's easier to position with fewer, more elite troops. You start running out of good spots to attack from pretty quickly if you cover the map in T1 units and it makes you very susceptible to AoE.

The biggest issue with them, at least from playing Syndicate and Assembly, is that they have slower movement speed on the campaign map which drags your entire army down. Not sure if it's the same for every faction.

Map travel is already sooooo slow compared to AoW3 that i can't justify putting 24 movespeed units in any of my wandering armies and just leave any free ones garrisoning a city. They can't do anything because any other unit can literally walk circles around them, and once you have them it'll take you SEVERAL additional turns to reach a location which is enough for them to pump out several units, escape, or destroy your city and leave before you show up to reinforce it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It sucks that Vanguard Walkers have 24 movespeed, but thankfully Laser Tanks have a 9-range attack to encourage anyone sitting pretty to come out or die a burny death.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Wolpertinger posted:

Map travel is already sooooo slow compared to AoW3 that i can't justify putting 24 movespeed units in any of my wandering armies and just leave any free ones garrisoning a city. They can't do anything because any other unit can literally walk circles around them, and once you have them it'll take you SEVERAL additional turns to reach a location which is enough for them to pump out several units, escape, or destroy your city and leave before you show up to reinforce it.

Yeah, I've been using lighter units for defense since they can actually move around and respond to attacks. The big T3-T4 guys are for my offensive armies who are mostly just hitting stationary cities, which I find have a difficult time running away.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Vanguard Purifiers do NOT get a cool jetpack graphic when they are equipped with one and I have never been more disappointed in my life.

Hot Dog Day #42
Jun 17, 2001

Egbert B. Gebstadter
In AOW3 you could preview the difficulty of a dungeon before committing to the fight. Is there any way to do that in this game?

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
streaming the first MP attempt with Ninjew

https://www.twitch.tv/orangelex44

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i am streaming as well

https://www.twitch.tv/ninjewtsusa

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Hot Dog Day #42 posted:

In AOW3 you could preview the difficulty of a dungeon before committing to the fight. Is there any way to do that in this game?

When I enter a site, I still have the ‘run away‘ button?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Hot Dog Day #42 posted:

Yeah, if you attempt to go in it'll have a list of defenders pop up and you can engage or back out.

Hot Dog Day #42
Jun 17, 2001

Egbert B. Gebstadter
Hmm, I guess I somehow failed to notice that running away was still an option. Thanks!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I just found out that the Military Engineering Guild will give armor bonuses to Specialist and Skirmisher units at level 3 and onwards. Some Reddit post claimed that due to how defensive stats add up (Thanks Gerbyln BTW!), reaching 7 total defensive stats (armor, shields, and resistance) basically doubles your EHP. This is a multiple, apparently, so if you can somehow get 14 total defensive stats, you'll be...tripling? your EHP, which sounds terrifying.

So yeah, even if you're playing on a Frontier planet (no landmarks at all), 2 production sectors in a colony will definitely make it an optimal place for producing units, outside of sheer speed.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Vargs posted:

good :words: about tiers

I'm playing a Syndicate Psynumbra game right now where I'm trying the "carpet the battlefield in T1s and T2s" concept by leaning on the Syndicate Psynumbra benefit(+1 damage per indentured on the field) and it's not feeling great for a lot of the reasons you hit on. T1-2 units are very versatile and efficient, but to achieve that efficiency they need mods, which makes them very cosmite-intensive as you balloon your forces. Add that to the fact that even modded many T1 units will die like flies in any significant battle and your cosmite costs begin expanding even more because you need replacements - unless you opt to field unmodded dudes, which sucks a huge amount of power out of your low tier guys.

I think a mix is definitely optimal because higher tier units are both powerful and much more efficient on cosmite over time.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Pro-tip: Get a subjugator, and then you can get new indentured free via one of their abilities.

They’ll probably already have mods too!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

On my first world I tried to put too many of my Armaddon dudes in my forward armies and it killed my mobility. Now I'm on a frontier planet with Amazons and in addition to having more forest hexes for movement, I've been speeding along focusing more on Harriers and Tyrannodons.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

The social research that gives you enhanced movement in your own domain is ace for self defense, since you can pretty much cross an entire domain in a single turn, even taking into account terrain types.

Also good god what is up with Amazon Lancers and their lances. One with relatively few mods was hitting for like 46 damage on shielded up Syndicate units :yikes:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Zore posted:

I've personally started like 20 games and its been like 80% Paragon, 10% Growth, 10% Autonom and I haven't seen Psi fish or Spacers at all.

The RNG can be weird. I'm four games in and I've gotten Spacers once, Psyfish twice, and Paragon once. Of course the first time I tried all random opponents I got five Dvar, one Assembly, and one Vanguard when I was playing Vanguard. I pick my opponents off the menu now. :rolleyes:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I think the last major thing escaping my understanding in this game is the sector exploitation system. Apparently, just because a bonus building gives a resource of a certain type in a sector, it doesn't necessarily mean the corresponding exploitation is the best pick because if you don't have the right kind of terrain in the sector, you can only level it up so much? Like, imagine a sector with Mountain and Fungal terrain. Mountain provides production, but Fungal isn't, so at best I can only level said exploitation and attached specialty building up to 3 in that sector? Is that right?

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014
In the last four games I have gotten Growth every time.
I get at least 3 Kir'Ko every game and all of them always hate me regardless of my setup.

Also if you pick up research on the first turn before you are researching anything does it just get wasted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
The more I play, the better this game gets. And my initial opinion was pretty positive already!