Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

This is the only other good thing he’s done.

The guy just irritates me. He’s always so grating, and not in a good way. I have bad memories of some lovely Fox sitcom with him too. But he was supposed to be an irritating piece of poo poo in Justified, so it worked for me.

Same. The sitcom was Titus, and I hated it solely from the constant commercials from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

He was also the lead in an abysmal sitcom called "The War At Home" that largely revolved around his character having a constant meltdown because his son was gay.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

One of four living Titus fans chiming in to say: Rapaport was not in Titus

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Oh wow yeah, I just totally transposed one terrible Fox sitcom with an unfunny tall pale guy with another.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Sisters Brothers is streaming on Hulu.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Titus went to some interestingly dark places. The War At Home was just garbage.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Has Dear White People abandoned the structure of each episode focusing on a character, and the early episodes being more or less concurrent?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Titus ruled. I think. I haven’t tried going back to it but jokes about being abused by your alcoholic dad are evergreen

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Titus's cousin was my friend's (shoddy, strung out) handyman. His son has a sad let's play channel on youtube.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The Sisters Brothers is streaming on Hulu.

This is a very good movie for anyone who is on the fence. A bit of a hangout movie—sweet, melancholy, cozy. Incredible performances from all involved.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Detective No. 27 posted:

Titus's cousin was my friend's (shoddy, strung out) handyman. His son has a sad let's play channel on youtube.

Does he play the games while sad or is it just a bad channel?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It was really bad. I wouldn't be able to find it anymore. Most videos had 0 views.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How will handmaid's tale season 3 fare for someone who thought the first season was great and the second season was kind of poo poo?

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

veni veni veni posted:

How will handmaid's tale season 3 fare for someone who thought the first season was great and the second season was kind of poo poo?

It didn't get good until ep 11, and even then. . .

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

veni veni veni posted:

Take Orange is the new Black and inject your boredom with Piper.

The titular handmaid makes plot decisions.

I support her staying back to ruin Gilead but

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Started listening to select podcasts at 1.5x speed, sometimes even faster. Then I started doing similar on youtube.

I'm watching Another Life which is a too drawn out Sci-Fi series and kinda miss the ability to speed up because there is so much filler drama. I guess there are some chrome extensions but I use a PS3. I wouldn't want to watch a movie at an increased speed, but the idea of officially requesting a playback speed feature and causing some people to meltdown made me laugh internally.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Chunjee posted:

Started listening to select podcasts at 1.5x speed, sometimes even faster. Then I started doing similar on youtube.

I'm watching Another Life which is a too drawn out Sci-Fi series and kinda miss the ability to speed up because there is so much filler drama. I guess there are some chrome extensions but I use a PS3. I wouldn't want to watch a movie at an increased speed, but the idea of officially requesting a playback speed feature and causing some people to meltdown made me laugh internally.

Fitfortdanga you aren’t even banned, why would you need a parachute account

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Baskets with Zach Galifianakis is so good, but then the twist ending: its executive producer is Louis C.K.. Galifianakis and Louis Anderson are so incredible, though, and even though it's set in California I get this almost supernaturally perfect Florida vibe, it really jumped out at me during a TV commercial for a cheap strip mall college.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Inspector Hound posted:

Baskets with Zach Galifianakis is so good, but then the twist ending: its executive producer is Louis C.K.. Galifianakis and Louis Anderson are so incredible, though, and even though it's set in California I get this almost supernaturally perfect Florida vibe, it really jumped out at me during a TV commercial for a cheap strip mall college.

They ended their relationship with CK the same day he admitted to being a sex pest. He’s not credited or compensated for anything on the show anymore.

It is a great series though, it’s extremely touching and genuine for a show about a rodeo clown with a mom played by Louis Anderson. I love it to bits and I’m kinda gutted that this is the final season.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
Wu Assassins is available!

https://www.netflix.com/title/80230293?s=i&trkid=13747225

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They ended their relationship with CK the same day he admitted to being a sex pest. He’s not credited or compensated for anything on the show anymore.

It is a great series though, it’s extremely touching and genuine for a show about a rodeo clown with a mom played by Louis Anderson. I love it to bits and I’m kinda gutted that this is the final season.

I had no idea, I thought this was a new show when my cousin showed it to me. Alright, good show with impending disappointment, the full streaming experience.

I'm also watching Third Rock from the Sun on Prime. I loved this show when I was a kid, and it's just as good now, maybe better. The dynamic of the Solomons reacting with puzzlement or shock at American culture means they accidentally in the mid-90s wrote a show that has essentially the social sensibilities as today. There are some lines, especially from August, that were probably written to be overbearing but just come off as prescient commentary now.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 9, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Glow AKA the best show on Neflix is back

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
The Clovehitch Killer (Hulu) is really good. A kid finds stuff around his house that makes him suspect his dad (Dylan McDermott) is a serial killler. The story is pretty straightforward but the acting and tone are both great. Very tense movie. The killer was heavily inspired by BTK.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Think I'm getting old. 4 eps in and The Boys is just okay so far. Certainly not worthy of the gushing praise it's been getting. I just finished a rewatch of Deadwood though, so maybe it's not fair to put a superhero show up against writing of that quality.

The Spice Girls pep talk made me roll my eyes. The writer thought they were just sooooo clever.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I too was joyless but then it went mainstream.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I’ve been watching The Shield on Hulu. I remember seeing ads for it all the time when I was a kid but it always looked like a boring cop show to me. I just finished the first season and it’s entertaining enough to keep watching but I wouldn’t say it’s particularly great at this point yet.

The depiction of these “dirty” cops is kind of amusingly quaint too. Like there’s one episode where one of the cops shoots a guy who turns out to be unarmed, so they plant a gun on him. But then it turns out that guy was turning his life around so the cops all feel bad about framing him, so they hatch this other scheme to get rid of their illegally planted evidence. Like, what the hell? Hopefully they get more evil later on because I’m not really into the “bad cops but they still have a code” thing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I mean, the first episode shows that they're pretty evil fucks. It certainly gets worse than the planted gun, the strike team have different levels of corrupt.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I’ve been watching The Shield on Hulu. I remember seeing ads for it all the time when I was a kid but it always looked like a boring cop show to me. I just finished the first season and it’s entertaining enough to keep watching but I wouldn’t say it’s particularly great at this point yet.

The depiction of these “dirty” cops is kind of amusingly quaint too. Like there’s one episode where one of the cops shoots a guy who turns out to be unarmed, so they plant a gun on him. But then it turns out that guy was turning his life around so the cops all feel bad about framing him, so they hatch this other scheme to get rid of their illegally planted evidence. Like, what the hell? Hopefully they get more evil later on because I’m not really into the “bad cops but they still have a code” thing.

watch it all the way for one of the best series finales ever. things get insane around season 5

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Also get used to one incident with Aceveda being replayed over and over and over in previews throughout the show's run.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

kittenmittons posted:

Also get used to one incident with Aceveda being replayed over and over and over in previews throughout the show's run.

Does it still always show "previously on The Shield..." On Hulu?

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Medullah posted:

I'm not sure, to be honest.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Medullah posted:

It does, although I just skip past that.

This show’s music choices are extremely early 2000s. That was a dark time. Carl Weathers just showed up though, that’s cool.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
You've got so much good stuff to look forward to in The Shield

Glenn Close, Anthony Anderson, Forest Whitaker, and plenty of :tviv: moments

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

A major tension in The Shield is that the Strike Force is simultaneously "good" and "bad", and will do things with (sorta) society-good outcomes for very morally-bad reasons, and vice versa (and it's a big part of how they escape justice for so long). Also, they have their own individual belief patterns and structures of right and wrong, as does everyone else around them, but their corruption is ultimately a virus that infects anyone who gets near them. Chilkis isn't "bad cop with a code" so much as he's a bad cop that sometimes knows he's doing something bad and feels bad about it because he's human. Goggins is the same except much dumber and short-sighted.

If you want a show about mustache-twirling evil cops then watch L&O:SVU episodes that focus on the blonde female detective because she's basically two steps (if that) from full Chud.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
The Shield is a very good show that is elevated to great simply by virtue of it's finale. I think it might be the greatest show ending ever, everything just fits.

I finished The Boys, good stuff, interesting to see what they do now they will have to diverge from the comics.

I also started Wu Assassins and I love it. The story ain't great and the special effects when mystical poo poo happens ain't great, but the fight scenes rule and I even like the stuff about cooking and owing a restaurant. It also has one of my favorite things in fiction, where every character in the story is a martial arts master of some sort, no matter how unlikely that may be. Good fun.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
Anyone know why something like 75% of the movies on Amazon now have a Dolby vision symbol next to them? They don't appear to actually be in Dolby vision. Tried googling this to no avail.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Watched Escape Plan 2, Three Days of the Condor, and the first season of Documental all on prime. All were enjoyable in their own ways.

Escape Plan 2 was awful, but still quite enjoyable and the cast was solid featuring Stallone, 50 Cent, and Bautista. Overly fast paced and not well written at all, but the gimmick kept it fun. You could tell they were trying to appeal to the Chinese market, but I liked Huang Xiaoming's character who was basically the lead of the film. It's fun seeing meathead action stars portrayed as hyperintelligent prison break experts.

Three Days of the Condor was pretty solid. I always like a good spy flick and this definitely scratched the itch. It was definitely better than Escape Plan 2, but I was ultimately pretty neutral on it.

Documental was a pretty hilarious Japanese comedy show. It's a reality show about 10 comedians putting around $10,000 on the line each then going into a room for 6 hours and trying not to laugh while also trying to make the other comedians laugh to eliminate them, winner takes the pot. Don't go in expecting witty comedy, it's a bunch of comedians trying to make each other laugh with juvenile bits and slapstick comedy.

There's some kinda iffy racial humor here and there that probably wouldn't fly in an American show, but it's pretty much all coming from the half black comedian using his race as a tool to get the other guys, who are less used to diversity since Japan is a lot more homogeneous, to crack. There isn't too much directed at him, and it's never all that egregious when it is.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Trying to decide on Incendies and Place Beyond the Pines, both streaming on Netflix. Thoughts?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Trying to decide on Incendies and Place Beyond the Pines, both streaming on Netflix. Thoughts?

How bad a mood do you want to be in later? Pretty bad, or fifth of whiskey bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I haven’t seen Place Beyond the Pines, but Incendies is probably my second favorite Villeneuve behind Enemy. I haven’t seen all of his stuff though, just those two and Prisoners and Arrival. I don’t know if you’re into the rest of his stuff, but this one’s kind of a heavy movie. Very much recommend though.