Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's the best?
Kirika
Dess
View Results

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I love Symphogear but it's rushed pace to get to fights always short changes a lot of neat character stuff which is why I will probably rank it behind Nanoha which usually gets the time for neat character stuff

Also Miku is okay but I like 100% more worried for her now :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Sindai posted:

Agree with everyone on there being too many main characters for a franchise with one cour seasons.

But more importantly, did that guy actually say "show me the end of the world" while looking at Chris's butt and if so, why

utena reference maybe?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sindai posted:

Agree with everyone on there being too many main characters for a franchise with one cour seasons.

But more importantly, did that guy actually say "show me the end of the world" while looking at Chris's butt and if so, why

He clearly believes that Chris has a world-tier end, and hell,

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Sindai posted:

Guessing it's lovely Crunchyroll subs at it again.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sindai posted:

Because Chris is his world.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Lessail posted:

i was ready to be mad at the car chase for forgetting what ogawa is in an effort to move things along, but then car clone happened and i was pleased

its a nice reminder that even if they don't have the same superpowers as the girls, the boys are also insanely badass and it would be a nightmare trying to fight them on their terms

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sindai posted:

https://twitter.com/zoidzero1/status/1160273269121064963?s=20

Anyway at this point what I'm most curious about is probably where the show is trying to go with Maria. Especially considering this implied reveal:

Interesting that it's Maria's gear being implied to be made in opposition/companionship to Noble Red's gold one. And what's the OP getting at with the scorpion?

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 11, 2019

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I love Symphogear but it's rushed pace to get to fights always short changes a lot of neat character stuff which is why I will probably rank it behind Nanoha which usually gets the time for neat character stuff

Also Miku is okay but I like 100% more worried for her now :(

Nanoha actually fell into a similar thing with StrikerS, which was still good but increased the cast size by so much that character stuff got a lot thinner.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Interesting that it's Maria's gear being implied to be made in opposition/companionship to Noble Red's gold one. And what's the OP getting at with the scorpion?

They mention the scorpion when they first discover Spooky Casket, namely that they found it near Spooky Casket despite Spooky Casket being located at Lake Vostok in Antarctica, which is traditionally not scorpion territory, and that it's a species traditionally from the middle east despite being extinct.

They haven't explained the relevance of it yet, but I think it's there to basically spell out that the casket is somehow tied to Fine(and her associates, apparently, based on Bleedy Guy Who Dies In Episode 1 calling out her name).

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
also bush did 911 just so they could steal sumerian artefacts

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I can’t believe the final battle is gonna take place in Iraq, and it’s gonna defeat Japanese racism

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
As someone who only got into Symphogear recently and shotgunned all of the seasons in about a month I'd say that season 1 does have the best overall set of character arcs, but it also sort of has to since it's introducing the principal characters in the first place and therefore has to put in a lot more work in the narrative to explore them. I think G was an overall good evolution of them as a cast and obviously ends on a more definitive spot so I think S1 and S2 together are a great back-to-back stand alone story without too much left hanging (I can't remember if Tsubasa's grandfather was in those early seasons at all).

It almost feels like rather than have GX and AXZ as they were, what they really needed if they wanted one more big story with the entire cast after G is a movie where they could go all in on one last big hurrah.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Aug 12, 2019

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah G was good too. The other two seasons had some good stuff, and weren't entirely cynical cash grabs, so it's weird that they felt so thin.

Also the alchemy Noise are dumb.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah i wish the alchemists had their own enemy type instead of fake-noise. give them low-level autoscorers or something, you could come up with neat grunts based on the doll/puppet theme.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Like no offense to Elfnein but even now she still feels like the kid the characters meet for the first time in a movie story and then have to either rescue or work with them to resolve the conflict.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Elfnein is good and important and I will never hear anything against her.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

Like no offense to Elfnein but even now she still feels like the kid the characters meet for the first time in a movie story and then have to either rescue or work with them to resolve the conflict.

The reason for this feeling is that Elfnein isn't really a full fledged person. I'm not saying that to be a smug dick or to trash the character or something, it's literally true as per her backstory. She got popped out of the homonculus machine, given enough knowledge to do the job that was expected of her(repair the Chateau), then deliberately let loose with Dainsleif as part of Carol's plans. The only memories of a life beyond this that she has are those she inherited from Carol, and she(and the show itself) explicitly treats herself and Carol as separate people rather than aspects of the same person.

This means that she doesn't really have the potential for a deep backstory or personal motivations beyond what we've seen on screen because we've pretty much seen her entire life on screen. Toss in the fact that the show is already spinning a lot of plates and there's not really much time to give her as much depth as she needs and deserves to become a more nuanced character.

Elfnein is very cute and great and I don't mind her being around at all, but I think it would probably have been more interesting if Carol had survived instead and got press-ganged into SONG as penance for her crimes like the FiS girls did. It wouldn't even be the first time the protagonist organization relied on an ancient evil superwizard for technical support.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Isn’t last week the first time we saw elfnein sing?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kanos posted:

Elfnein is very cute and great and I don't mind her being around at all, but I think it would probably have been more interesting if Carol had survived instead and got press-ganged into SONG as penance for her crimes like the FiS girls did. It wouldn't even be the first time the protagonist organization relied on an ancient evil superwizard for technical support.
The primary issue with that one is that Carol can actually fight, which'd make it harder to keep her as pure tech support.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Endorph posted:

The primary issue with that one is that Carol can actually fight, which'd make it harder to keep her as pure tech support.

You could handwave this as her being technically combat-capable but practically not really, because her method of alchemy involves burning memories to generate power and her primary method of sidestepping that issue(a magic robot that kills people and steals memories to use) no longer exists/wouldn't be usable for a protagonist. So yeah she could fight but you might risk your primary scientist/researcher suddenly forgetting how a symphogear works because they burned too many memories.

Genjuro and Ogawa are basically superhumans but they don't deploy them to fight the non-Noise enemies!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It looks like a bunch of Autoscorers are going to be activated.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

It looks like a bunch of Autoscorers are going to be activated.

Are they going to be activated? Or maybe used as fuel?

Or maybe if you wanna go REALLY out there, maybe they're gonna try/did try sticking the God-Bracelet on one?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Bring back Micha

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Kanos posted:

I don't remember, was Carol burning her memories for ALL her powers or just her big destructive gestures? Because if she was giving herself increasing amoutns of amnesia every time she transformed, she'd probably make a pretty terrible ally, especially given her penchant for genocide & genocide

That being said of course the ideal option is for Elf 9 to hulk out into Carol when the dice are down.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

OnimaruXLR posted:

I don't remember, was Carol burning her memories for ALL her powers or just her big destructive gestures? Because if she was giving herself increasing amoutns of amnesia every time she transformed, she'd probably make a pretty terrible ally, especially given her penchant for genocide & genocide

That being said of course the ideal option is for Elf 9 to hulk out into Carol when the dice are down.

The memory combustion only really became an issue when she was exerting herself to fight, i.e. doing big flashy bang boom magic.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/YameteTomete/status/1162301121039413248

"Plucking the strings", "memories once lost linger here"

:thunk:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

OnimaruXLR posted:

Luckily this is Symphogear so we always get the ideal option or better. :black101:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 17, 2019

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

What a good loving show IMO

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Worry for Miku is growing also Autorscorers back yay though I hope not just for one episode also Elfnein mad!

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Jesus this episode was amazing.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hell yeah, I'm excited for the return of Carol and her cool hat, even if it will probably only be temporary. I do hope she sticks around and is able to bring back the autoscorers. They don't need backstories and can just hang around to be cool.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Jesus this episode was amazing.

Yeah this one ruled. It's also going to make for an amazing final live show.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/michiyo_murase/status/1162774834184511488?s=19

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Spoiler!~

https://twitter.com/zoidzero1/status/1162819919391723520

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The autoscorers' VAs have been tweeting about how it was great to come back "for a little bit" so I'm guessing they won't be back again.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

I don't know if this was intentional, but either way, lol.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Every episode is so loving good

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its incredibly anime to get to kill god with a punch and its where this is all going to end up

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Everyone should aspire to one day be able to introduce yourself as THE MURDERER OF MIRACLES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
i love this series