Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

She's a villain, just of her own faction. She was exiled, but she could have gone anywhere in the world but the Horde.

HorseLord posted:

You can say that she treats her kids in lovely indefensible ways but I mean yeah, she's a mother, they all do that, it's baseline human behavior. Part of being an adult is deciding which way you pretend it didn't happen to you.

My mom was 100% supportive of me all the way in whatever I wanted to be growing up

CuwiKhons posted:

This is the wildest statement I've ever heard and if you look at Shadow Weaver and see "just a normal mother" then you should consider the possibility that your mom was an abuser.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Aug 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

HorseLord posted:

You can say that she treats her kids in lovely indefensible ways but I mean yeah, she's a mother, they all do that, it's baseline human behavior. Part of being an adult is deciding which way you pretend it didn't happen to you.

This is the wildest statement I've ever heard and if you look at Shadow Weaver and see "just a normal mother" then you should consider the possibility that your mom was an abuser.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Bee posted:

There's plenty of doubt in the Princess Alliance as a unit, and even civilians like Bow's parents don't seem exceptionally concerned about the Horde. It honestly feels less like the Horde controls the entire world, and more like they're a slightly unpleasant kingdom that is kept in check but constantly pushing its luck.

It feels like the show was originally going to be almost like a magical girl team-up show, but shifted gears hard after the fact.

fair point I have vauge memories of the original show which was vastly different than this

But it was more a rebels hiding int he woods kinda stuff.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HorseLord posted:

:stare:

You, uh, might wanna see someone about that one, chief.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

galenanorth posted:

My mom was 100% supportive of me all the way in whatever I wanted to be growing up

Darth Walrus posted:

:stare:

You, uh, might wanna see someone about that one, chief.

Well this helps explain why I find Catra the best character in the show. :arghfist::mad: ... :shobon:

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

The happiest ending this show can provide is the whole drat planet getting therapy. Healthy patterns of behavior and cognition disappeared just like the stars when Mara sent them to Despondos.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Gaunab posted:

I noticed it too. A lot of the villains have backgrounds that make them sympathetic but not sympathetic enough to make me forget that they're knowingly trying to subjugate the world. And while they've raised the stakes to intergalactic levels, I think more time could be spent developing the world they're on now. As long as the kids love it and learn something from it though then my opinions don't carry much weight. 3/5

Yeah, I think if anything the fact that we want the setting developed more is a point of credit to the show. I mean, they turned around Hordak, who had a redesign less striking than his original appearance and such a generic personality, in what. Two episodes? And their spotlight episodes like the Shadow Weaver episode are really cool. The writers clearly know what they're doing.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I can't believe She-Ra is a retelling of Evangelion, complete with Catra starting Third Impact.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SardonicTyrant posted:

I can't believe She-Ra is a retelling of Evangelion, complete with Catra starting Third Impact.

So, what you're saying is that Scorpio is going to bite off Shadow Weaver's head?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

HorseLord posted:

That's really Catra's problem. You either repress the memory and keep going around for sunday dinner, or you cut off contact, but here Eternia's top furry is going around destroying the world and poo poo.
This Be The Verse

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
sorry about your lovely mums

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Labes for days posted:

The happiest ending this show can provide is the whole drat planet getting therapy. Healthy patterns of behavior and cognition disappeared just like the stars when Mara sent them to Despondos.

Bow, Glimmer and Scorpia seem pretty healthy, especially compared to their peers. Bow was afraid to talk to his dads about who he really was, but that's a pretty common attitude, even without the "coming out of the closet" vibes they attached to his desire to be a fighter rather than a scholar. Glimmer is similar, only really have problems communicating with her mom, along with some resentment of her attitude. Again though, that seems pretty normal. Scorpia's biggest issue on the other hand, is that she's a bit of an enabler. Something she appears to have a limit too, given that she refused to let Catra continue to endanger everyone to gently caress over Adora, and seems conflicted now that she remembers Catra tazed Entrapta. Once she finds out she lied to Hordak about Entrapta, it'll probably cause her to put her foot down with Catra.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 10, 2019

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Mom Crew is a mess.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
If the estranged parents thread has taught me anything its abuse is an exceptionary broad term that covers everything from closed fist punches for not folding laundry, to telling your child you are going to the hospital to have them kill you because the child is a disappointment and its their fault when you die, or deliberately forgetting a birthday to teach someone a lesson.

Maybe looking for personal revelations about bad parents and victim behavior in a Netflix cartoon show isn't the best idea?

Its fine as a reminder or positive portrayal of people improving their situation and personal relationships but if you are looking at SW and saying "so what? She treats kids like poo poo no big deal everyone is like that" there's more going on that this cartoon won't fix.

Same with Catra and being a lovely person and hurting others. If you need her to get redeemed to feel good about your situation then you should explore other professional avenues to improve mental health.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

pentyne posted:

Same with Catra and being a lovely person and hurting others. If you need her to get redeemed to feel good about your situation then you should explore other professional avenues to improve mental health.

im currently in therapy for liking a furry, thanks mom

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Now I really want a He-man series to happen to have Angella showing up on Eternia as a cliffhanger.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'd honestly prefer it if He-Man and She-Ra weren't related if they take that tack. If anything, make the new He-Man a PoC to gently caress with people who'd get super butthurt about that.

She-Ra was only able to exist because He-Man's existence legitimized hers. Since she's the headliner now, that's not required, and we know this Adora isn't the OG Adora from the 80s cartoon.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd honestly prefer it if He-Man and She-Ra weren't related if they take that tack. If anything, make the new He-Man a PoC to gently caress with people who'd get super butthurt about that.

She-Ra was only able to exist because He-Man's existence legitimized hers. Since she's the headliner now, that's not required, and we know this Adora isn't the OG Adora from the 80s cartoon.

Nah I want fabulous powers revealed to him :shobon:

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Ok but when are we getting Terry Crews as He-Man, I’m down with the two characters being totally unrelated but existing in the same universe. (As long as He-Man is played by Terry Crews.)

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

God I hate the term "PoC". It's the polite way of saying misc.

Regardless He-Man doesn't need any changes for the modern age because if you put his original design in a modern context it becomes unambiguously gay. He's either wearing tight pink shirts or a sex harness.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
"Grayskull" has to mean something

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

HorseLord posted:

God I hate the term "PoC". It's the polite way of saying misc.

No? It means non-white. This is a very weird thing to say.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Pakled posted:

"Grayskull" has to mean something

CuwiKhons posted:

Good back to back posts imo

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Now, if Adora has learned anything the first episode of the next season will be her going 'hell to the gently caress no' and kicking shadow-weaver out of brightmoon while Shads basically does a dramatic reading of the estranged parents thread.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

CuwiKhons posted:

It is bad to roll everyone up into a binary of either "white" or "non-white". There's more than one kind of non white person in the world, and they aren't interchangeable.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

HorseLord posted:

It is bad to roll everyone up into a binary of either "white" or "non-white". There's more than one kind of non white person in the world, and they aren't interchangeable.

So you want them to specify specifically which non white race they mean? Or do you think maybe they literally do just mean non white in general and the term is perfectly appropriate and you're just having a moment that would be better suited to twitter.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
If there's a text box to type in then one web site is as good as another.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

HorseLord posted:

If there's a text box to type in then one web site is as good as another.

So wise, I'm going to poo poo in your letterbox.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

The only character from He Man I really care about seeing is Skeletor.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

shadowvine118 posted:

Yeah speaking as someone who did not grow up with any Masters of the Universe media or toys, I have no strong feelings about He-Man ever appearing in this series but I would love for Skeletor to show up.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

shadowvine118 posted:

Just think how annoyed Catra will be after He-Man's sword turns her into battle cat

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I'd be super down with old skeletor, punished skeletor, skeletor reloaded or just straight up 80s skeletor

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Motherfucker posted:

So wise, I'm going to poo poo in your letterbox.

no! Bad Catra! BAD! *squirt gun*

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
The thing is Hordak is basically unemployed skeletor.

Stenis
Jun 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

HorseLord posted:

Uh

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
He-man related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j56EyTH27p8

https://web.archive.org/web/20021006002441/http://www.somethingawful.com/article.php?id=140

Ups_rail fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Aug 11, 2019

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Do you think it ever really pissed Skeletor off that someone else lived in the skull fortress and he just had to dorm with some sneople?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I just want to point out that there's precedent for a villain with a sympathetic backstory not getting a redemption arc in a kid's show: Princess Azula. She didn't get redeemed, she had a psychotic break and her last on-screen appearance was her writhing around on the ground screaming and crying in chains and it was incredibly disturbing.

Dang, I need to do an A:TLA rewatch. I've powered through She-Ra, Voltron, Dragon Prince, even Final Space, and still need that animation itch scratched.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I want Hordak Prime to not really give a poo poo about his weird failed clone, and delegate command duties to a sector commander he doesn't like.

A SKULL FACED sector commander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

The Bee posted:

Do you think it ever really pissed Skeletor off that someone else lived in the skull fortress and he just had to dorm with some sneople?

Oh, just because Grayskull is skull-themed, Skeletor has has to live there?

Check your facienormative privilege.