Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
LTT obviously does a fair bit of "Top Gear" shenanigans, especially the heat sinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

If your job has enough secrets that you could feasibly attract the attention of state actors, why the gently caress is it anywhere where you could misplace it, and why is it attached to the internet at all?

I remember the spi workup. That was beautiful.

Specifically regarding state actors: you don't need to be handling classified material or be involved in some defense industrial base supply chain to possess information desirable to adversaries.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

hi :) I'm looking to expand my PC's storage, use case: installing some games since apparently somewhere in the last 2-3 years games suddenly started taking 40-100 GB each, and my current SSD is about 70% full just having my normal rotation of games installed

so I currently have a Crucial MX500 m.2 1TB SATA populating my first m.2 slot, and a free m.2 slot that will only take NVMe

I have two options right now:

- Intel P660 m.2 2TB NVMe (QLC) for about 205€
- Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB SATA (TLC) for about 200€

both seem to be well suited to my use case (high capacity with "normal" SSD performance), is there any reason I should choose one over the other? I'd like the NVMe one just to avoid the hassle of cabling, and I don't think I'll ever need the PCIe slots that will be disabled by putting it in the 2nd m.2 slot, but Crucial MX500 just looks more "dependable" to me, being TLC and very well tested by now

also are prices likely to drop anytime soon? I could postpone buying this until Christmas or so if there's a chance to get a much better deal, though prices seem to be real low right now

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Prices are already pretty low; I don't know however whether holiday sales in 💷-land will take very much off. I've been surprised before.

MX500, hands down, in my opinion. Faster nand, better controller (I think). Very good firmware.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

gdi double post

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

TorakFade posted:

I'd get the MX500 but first I'd look around to see if anyone else is selling the 660P for less -- in the US it's a substantial discount.

quote:

also are prices likely to drop anytime soon? I could postpone buying this until Christmas or so if there's a chance to get a much better deal, though prices seem to be real low right now
Seems to be holding steady for now, maybe there will be better deals around black friday. 2TB drives still have a premium that could get discounted. (does :911: black friday spread to europe?)

Potato Salad posted:

Prices are already pretty low; I don't know however whether holiday sales in 💷-land will take very much off. I've been surprised before.
If I was in the UK I'd be buying now on the basis that every time Boris opens his mouth your currency drops.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Anyone seen any gen4 nvme drives in AIC/u.2 yet? The only ones I’ve seen so far are the m.2 with Phison E16 controllers.

Got a couple of those in for characterizing but they are not too super exciting performance wise, very good for the price though.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

TorakFade posted:

both seem to be well suited to my use case (high capacity with "normal" SSD performance), is there any reason I should choose one over the other?

May I suggest an alternative which could net better performance, at the cost of some of your time spent tracking down the right choice to buy for your locale? Some Phison E12 controller NVME SSDs are close to those prices. I just bought a E12 reference design 1.92 TB (brand: MyDigitalSSD BPX Pro) for $230 USD, which is apparently about the same as 205€.

The reason to go for one of these is that unlike the 660p, they’re typically (maybe always?) TLC. 3GB/s class read performance, similar write for as long as the SLC cache lasts. The BPX Pro (and most other brands of E12 reference designs I looked at) uses Toshiba 3D TLC NAND.

You do have to be willing to live with buying something that is likely to have less support than a major brand like Intel. One thing mitigating this is that most Phison SSD vendors seem to stick with the reference PCB design and firmware, meaning you can get firmware updaters direct from Phison’s website.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

TorakFade posted:

so I currently have a Crucial MX500 m.2 1TB SATA populating my first m.2 slot, and a free m.2 slot that will only take NVMe

both seem to be well suited to my use case (high capacity with "normal" SSD performance), is there any reason I should choose one over the other? I'd like the NVMe one just to avoid the hassle of cabling, and I don't think I'll ever need the PCIe slots that will be disabled by putting it in the 2nd m.2 slot, but Crucial MX500 just looks more "dependable" to me, being TLC and very well tested by now

If you're asking which SSD to get but only have one m.2 slot open and it's NVMe only, well you only have one choice there as the 660p is the only NVMe SSD of the pair you listed. Also, in the US market at least the 660p 2 TB has always been cheaper than the MX500, which has made it almost a no-brainer; it's a little odd to see that it's the reverse in your market.

Also, you've got it backwards with the "disabled slots" thing; adding a SATA SSD into an m.2 slot often disables a specific SATA port. Installing an NVMe SSD will only use 2 or 4 PCIe lanes, and you probably aren't going to run out of those unless you've got a bunch of other expansion cards installed.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Atomizer posted:

If you're asking which SSD to get but only have one m.2 slot open and it's NVMe only, well you only have one choice there as the 660p is the only NVMe SSD of the pair you listed. Also, in the US market at least the 660p 2 TB has always been cheaper than the MX500, which has made it almost a no-brainer; it's a little odd to see that it's the reverse in your market.

Also, you've got it backwards with the "disabled slots" thing; adding a SATA SSD into an m.2 slot often disables a specific SATA port. Installing an NVMe SSD will only use 2 or 4 PCIe lanes, and you probably aren't going to run out of those unless you've got a bunch of other expansion cards installed.

My motherboard (msi b450 gaming pro carbon ac) has 2 m.2 slots, one of which takes either nvme or SATA (disabling 2 out of 6 of the normal SATA ports if you put SATA in it) and is already populated with a SATA m.2 mx500, the other only takes nvme and disables all pcie slots except the GPU one and is currently free. Don't ask me why everything you do disables something, probably because they wanted me to spend 200€ instead of 120€ on a motherboard, but screw them :)

What I am looking at is a classical 2.5" SATA ssd vs a m.2 nvme one because I can't install anything else without adapters or shuffling things around, hope it is clearer now :) in those categories the Intel p660 and mx500 are the best options I could find, but

BobHoward posted:

May I suggest an alternative which could net better performance, at the cost of some of your time spent tracking down the right choice to buy for your locale? Some Phison E12 controller NVME SSDs are close to those prices. I just bought a E12 reference design 1.92 TB (brand: MyDigitalSSD BPX Pro) for $230 USD, which is apparently about the same as 205€.

This is interesting... How do I recognize which ones have this phison e12 controller? Is that something that is on spec sheets? Never saw much info about controllers in online shops

makere
Jan 14, 2012

TorakFade posted:

This is interesting... How do I recognize which ones have this phison e12 controller? Is that something that is on spec sheets? Never saw much info about controllers in online shops

It's usually in the spec sheet or just Google the cheapest nvme drives you find. Sadly there's substantial premium on these drives in Europe.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

TorakFade posted:

My motherboard (msi b450 gaming pro carbon ac) has 2 m.2 slots, one of which takes either nvme or SATA (disabling 2 out of 6 of the normal SATA ports if you put SATA in it) and is already populated with a SATA m.2 mx500, the other only takes nvme and disables all pcie slots except the GPU one and is currently free. Don't ask me why everything you do disables something, probably because they wanted me to spend 200€ instead of 120€ on a motherboard, but screw them :)

What I am looking at is a classical 2.5" SATA ssd vs a m.2 nvme one because I can't install anything else without adapters or shuffling things around, hope it is clearer now :) in those categories the Intel p660 and mx500 are the best options I could find, but

Off the top of my head (plus a quick Google of model numbers):

Corsair Force MP510 ( I own one),
MyDigitalSSD BXBP (can't rememer if it's BXBP or BPXP. I own one),
Sabrent Rocket ( My favourite one, as I have the 1TB version in my gaming PC, and it's a nice colour),
SIilicon Power (don't own one),

There a a couple more if you Google "Phison E12 NVMe drive". Here's a pic of my 1TB Sabrent Rocket, as I'm currently installing my new 3600X into my mini-ITX gaming rig:

I have sucessfully used the Corsair firmware updater to flash both my Corsair and the MyDigitalSSD before. I believe that they all have Toshiba NAND memory: controlled by the Phison chip. This may be a sweeping statement and there may be some outliers, but in my experience of owning 4 of these drives I can say that all of mine are a Toshiba/Phison combo and I haven't tried it on all of 'em yet but I would not be in the slightest surprised if the same firmware updater program can flash all different brands.

The benchmark tests I have read indicate that they run at Samsung 970 Evo performance levels and I can say from personal use (and as a 970 EVO owner) that I cannot tell the difference when I am looking at my screen and loading things or playing games from using a 970 EVO.

The only think I haven't read is if these Phison/Toshiba drives will last as long as a 970 EVO. I suspect that they will have somewhere near the durability levels of the Samsung 970 EVO's but I don't have anything to back that up. It's just guesswork, since the technology for these sort of items seems to be at a maturity phase.

In case you couldn't tell, I like these drives :-)

apropos man fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 3, 2019

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
So my hdd is failing pretty bad, and I need a replacement asap before it goes kaput. I currently have a samsung 860 evo as my install drive, but I'm looking at the mx500 to replace the separate storage drive.

How much of a headache will having two different ssd brands in my computer cause? I mean the samsung uses its own proprietary software for maintenance, and I don't know how compatible the mx500 would be with it.

Cost difference isn't all that much for a 2tb, so I can go either way.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sprite141 posted:

So my hdd is failing pretty bad, and I need a replacement asap before it goes kaput. I currently have a samsung 860 evo as my install drive, but I'm looking at the mx500 to replace the separate storage drive.

How much of a headache will having two different ssd brands in my computer cause? I mean the samsung uses its own proprietary software for maintenance, and I don't know how compatible the mx500 would be with it.

Cost difference isn't all that much for a 2tb, so I can go either way.

You can uninstall samsung magician if you've got your firmware version up to date, it doesn't do anything (and rapid mode isn't useful). The brands of SSDs in your system won't matter, they're all talking to the computer over sata or nvme.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Even if you keep Samsung magician installed, it won't touch non-Samsung drives. Or even some OEM Samsung ones.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

bottom line: no complications

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It's rare for me to have offbrand SSDs last more than a year or 2. Just saying.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Ok, perfect! That settles everything, thanks. I'll grab the mx500 asap then. I've had to reinstall an mmo 3 times cause it kept breaking until I realized it was the hdd failing.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Just retired a laptop at work that had a Crucial M4 SSD in it. I think this is one of the first SSDs I ever bought at work...

4.7 hours of power on time, still 84% health.

I remember this one suffering the 5,128 hour bug.. One it hit that amount of power on time, it would fail to detect. You had to leave it powered for 20 minutes, and then warm reboot. It would be detected then and you could apply the firmware that fixed that issue.

Edit: I guess its not so healthy after all...

stevewm fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 6, 2019

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14728/phison-previews-nextgen-ps5018e18-pcie-40-ssd-controller-up-to-7-gbs-nvme-14

Phison has shown off their new E18 controller, a new PCIe 4.0 controller to follow up the E16 (which was more or less just an E12 hooked up to PCIe 4.0). Sequential speeds are increased to about 7 GB/sec read and write, and somewhat more interestingly there's a more noticeable increase in random IOPS compared to the E12 (1M vs 700k read and 600k write on the E12). Maybe that will actually translate to some modest improvements in random access speeds. Retail availability of drives on this controller is expected in Q3 2020.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

https://www.liqid.com/products/composable-storage/element-lqd4500-pcie-aic-ssd

Great googly moogly

- Raw Capacity: Up to 32 TB
- Read Bandwidth (GB/s)~24
- Write Bandwidth (GB/s)~24
- Ran. Read IOPS (4k)~4,000,000
- Ran. Write IOPS (4k)~4,000,000
- Read Access Latency~80 μs
- Write Access Latency~20 μs

:eyepop:

Whose controller do they use or their own, I wonder.

Kinda smells of vaporware at this point with all the renders

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

priznat posted:

Whose controller do they use or their own, I wonder.

Their careers page doesn't list any positions I'd associate with controller development, and they list Phison as a partner, so presumably Phison.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

BobHoward posted:

Their careers page doesn't list any positions I'd associate with controller development, and they list Phison as a partner, so presumably Phison.

They do stuff that high end? Perhaps it is going to be 4 of the upcoming E18s behind a switch or something weird like that.

I know some folks who were at FMS so I should ask them if they saw their booth.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Corsair MP510 still a solid choice? Ordering my parts for a Ryzen build, just waiting for the 2TB to come back in stock at Newegg.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Good choice although there are alternatives if availability is being a bitch. I'm liking my 2TB sabrent although $250 is sort of a meh price for them; got mine for 220 a month back.

Just ran this now on mine:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm considering upgrading my SSD, and I'm a little confused. My motherboard, a Gigabyte Z370XP SLI (rev. 1.0) has two M.2 slots with the following:

quote:

1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 SATA and PCIe x4/x2 SSD support) (M2P_32G)
1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280 PCIe x4/x2 SSD support) (M2Q_32G)
Are these NVMe or SATA? (Both?) What should I get? I definitely want NVMe if it supports that.

I currently have a SATA SSD that I forgot what it was. Maybe a Samsung 850?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Endless Mike posted:

I'm considering upgrading my SSD, and I'm a little confused. My motherboard, a Gigabyte Z370XP SLI (rev. 1.0) has two M.2 slots with the following:

Are these NVMe or SATA? (Both?) What should I get? I definitely want NVMe if it supports that.

I currently have a SATA SSD that I forgot what it was. Maybe a Samsung 850?

First one will allow you to use either a SATA or an NVME M.2 SSD. Second one is NVMe only. You may want to double check and see if using one of those slots renders one of the SATA ports inoperable. Not a huge deal unless you're using all your SATA ports, but always good to know.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

As for which one to get that Adata XPG SX8200 Pro is a pretty smoking deal at $149 for 1TB:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/adata-xpg-sx8200-pro-ssd,5955.html

Also Samsung970 evo, WD Black etc

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

First one will allow you to use either a SATA or an NVME M.2 SSD. Second one is NVMe only. You may want to double check and see if using one of those slots renders one of the SATA ports inoperable. Not a huge deal unless you're using all your SATA ports, but always good to know.
Cool, thanks! I will definitely check that out, but I'm pretty sure I'm only using three SATA ports (and I will probably take out the SATA SSD I have in there, regardless), so it should make a difference.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Mike is in the DC area, so the Inland 1TB Premium at Micro Center for $108 is an option as well.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 13, 2019

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I have an ADATA SU800 in my Unraid NAS as a cache drive. What should I have my temp warning threshold be? SSDs can and do safely run warmer than HDDs, right? I think the default might be 45c and that keeps getting triggered.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I have an ADATA SU800 in my Unraid NAS as a cache drive. What should I have my temp warning threshold be? SSDs can and do safely run warmer than HDDs, right? I think the default might be 45c and that keeps getting triggered.

https://www.adata.com/upload/downloadfile/Datasheet_SU800_EN_201608.pdf

The bottom of page 1 has your answer.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Thanks!!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

wow.. I would have gotten something with better NAND for a NAS. Maybe an 860..

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Even the 50°C figure you commonly see (particularly as the default in CDI, for example) is arbitrary. 45° is pretty ridiculously low, especially for an SSD, and there was a Google study of HDDs from several years back that found that they didn't increase their failure rate at temperatures as high as 60°C; actually low temperatures (IIRC <30°) had that effect.

redeyes posted:

wow.. I would have gotten something with better NAND for a NAS. Maybe an 860..

It's a cache drive, dude, the NAND flash doesn't matter! :psyduck: If anything, if you're running the workload that's most likely to wear out an SSD you'd want to use a cheap one! That's exactly why I use old SSDs in PrimoCache!

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I put together a Ryzen 2700x system recently, with a Crucial P1 500 M.2 NVMe, and was having a lot of stability issues.
I was attempting some mild overclocking so I mostly attributed stability to that and eventually put everything to back default clocks and other BIOS settings and things seemed more or less OK, but I ran into more problems just last night where it mysteriously rebooted itself.

I'm running OpenSUSE Tumbleweed and it seems to only really be a problem when I run particular app (mprime) with a workload that is configured to use a large portion of RAM: about 8 of 16GB total (it's definitely not hitting swap when it happens, there is 7GB or so physical mem still free). The strange thing is I don't think this workload does much disk IO at all, just a lot of memory, and CPU. But it seems I can trigger it somewhat consistently with enough RAM allocated to the process.

I already ran memtest86 for a bit and got through 3 passes with no errors.

Basically a couple minutes into the work stage that uses high RAM, it just quits X and bumps me to virtual console login prompt, where it doesn't seem to be able to let me log in directly. Still I am able to ssh in and get dmesg to work, but I can't run sudo or su commands(until I reboot) because they give "Input/Output error". The drive is in readonly mode when this happens.

Here is some dmesg output I see after the "crash" happens, which makes me suspect drive failure:
code:
[ 9117.462381] perf: interrupt took too long (9831 > 9807), lowering kernel.perf_event_max_sample_rate to 20250
[ 9261.476036] nvme nvme0: controller is down; will reset: CSTS=0xffffffff, PCI_STATUS=0xffff
[ 9261.603999] pci_raw_set_power_state: 19 callbacks suppressed
[ 9261.604009] nvme 0000:01:00.0: Refused to change power state, currently in D3
[ 9261.604430] nvme nvme0: Removing after probe failure status: -19
[ 9261.632241] print_req_error: I/O error, dev nvme0n1, sector 15247304 flags 100001
[ 9261.632255] BTRFS error (device nvme0n1p2): bdev /dev/nvme0n1p2 errs: wr 1, rd 0, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
[ 9261.729511] nvme nvme0: failed to set APST feature (-19)
[ 9261.739582] BTRFS error (device nvme0n1p2): bdev /dev/nvme0n1p2 errs: wr 2, rd 0, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
[ 9261.739591] BTRFS error (device nvme0n1p2): bdev /dev/nvme0n1p2 errs: wr 3, rd 0, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
[ 9261.739595] BTRFS error (device nvme0n1p2): bdev /dev/nvme0n1p2 errs: wr 4, rd 0, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
[ 9261.756670] BTRFS error (device nvme0n1p2): bdev /dev/nvme0n1p2 errs: wr 4, rd 1, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
[ 9261.756951] BTRFS error (device nvme0n1p2): bdev /dev/nvme0n1p2 errs: wr 4, rd 2, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
[ 9261.758061] BTRFS error (device nvme0n1p2): bdev /dev/nvme0n1p2 errs: wr 4, rd 3, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
[ 9261.758368] BTRFS error (device nvme0n1p2): bdev /dev/nvme0n1p2 errs: wr 4, rd 4, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
[ 9261.759112] BTRFS error (device nvme0n1p2): bdev /dev/nvme0n1p2 errs: wr 4, rd 5, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
[ 9261.759138] BTRFS error (device nvme0n1p2): bdev /dev/nvme0n1p2 errs: wr 4, rd 6, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
[ 9262.276359] Core dump to |/bin/false pipe failed
[ 9262.336595] resource sanity check: requesting [mem 0x000c0000-0x000fffff], which spans more than PCI Bus 0000:00 [mem 0x000c0000-0x000dffff window]
[ 9262.336817] caller _nv000939rm+0x1bf/0x1f0 [nvidia] mapping multiple BARs
[ 9262.975980] snd_hda_codec_hdmi hdaudioC0D0: HDMI: invalid ELD data byte 62
[ 9263.012987] Core dump to |/bin/false pipe failed
[ 9263.015801] Core dump to |/bin/false pipe failed
[ 9263.035986] snd_hda_codec_hdmi hdaudioC0D0: HDMI: invalid ELD data byte 1
[ 9263.134288] Core dump to |/bin/false pipe failed
[ 9265.580609] BTRFS: error (device nvme0n1p2) in btrfs_commit_transaction:2234: errno=-5 IO failure (Error while writing out transaction)
[ 9265.580610] BTRFS info (device nvme0n1p2): forced readonly
[ 9265.580611] BTRFS warning (device nvme0n1p2): Skipping commit of aborted transaction.
[ 9265.580612] BTRFS: error (device nvme0n1p2) in cleanup_transaction:1794: errno=-5 IO failure
[ 9265.580613] BTRFS info (device nvme0n1p2): delayed_refs has NO entry
[ 9292.708719] btrfs_dev_stat_print_on_error: 320 callbacks suppressed
[ 9292.708723] BTRFS error (device nvme0n1p2): bdev /dev/nvme0n1p2 errs: wr 123, rd 208, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
[ 9368.485780] BTRFS error (device nvme0n1p2): bdev /dev/nvme0n1p2 errs: wr 124, rd 208, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
[ 9577.728458] BTRFS error (device nvme0n1p2): bdev /dev/nvme0n1p2 errs: wr 124, rd 209, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
[ 9577.728508] BTRFS error (device nvme0n1p2): bdev /dev/nvme0n1p2 errs: wr 124, rd 210, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
[ 9577.728715] BTRFS error (device nvme0n1p2): bdev /dev/nvme0n1p2 errs: wr 124, rd 211, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
[ 9577.728768] Core dump to |/bin/false pipe failed
[ 9578.059425] BTRFS error (device nvme0n1p2): bdev /dev/nvme0n1p2 errs: wr 124, rd 212, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
[ 9578.059466] BTRFS error (device nvme0n1p2): bdev /dev/nvme0n1p2 errs: wr 124, rd 213, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
[ 9578.059531] BTRFS error (device nvme0n1p2): bdev /dev/nvme0n1p2 errs: wr 124, rd 214, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
[ 9578.059555] BTRFS error (device nvme0n1p2): bdev /dev/nvme0n1p2 errs: wr 124, rd 215, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
[ 9578.059574] BTRFS error (device nvme0n1p2): bdev /dev/nvme0n1p2 errs: wr 124, rd 216, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
[ 9578.059590] BTRFS error (device nvme0n1p2): bdev /dev/nvme0n1p2 errs: wr 124, rd 217, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
[ 9578.059604] BTRFS error (device nvme0n1p2): bdev /dev/nvme0n1p2 errs: wr 124, rd 218, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
[ 9608.872774] btrfs_dev_stat_print_on_error: 1 callbacks suppressed
[ 9608.872777] BTRFS error (device nvme0n1p2): bdev /dev/nvme0n1p2 errs: wr 125, rd 219, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
[ 9608.872797] BTRFS error (device nvme0n1p2): bdev /dev/nvme0n1p2 errs: wr 126, rd 219, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
[ 9608.872805] BTRFS error (device nvme0n1p2): bdev /dev/nvme0n1p2 errs: wr 127, rd 219, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
Should I just be returning this drive or is there a chance that some BIOS config is wrong or whatever and causing some kind of bus error that only happens when RAM is hit hard? After looking at some of the other reviews on Amazon, I see a couple others complaining that it fails under heavy loads(didn't specify disk/memory/cpu load), sounds similar to my situation though.

Any particular diagnostics I should run on this? I'm not really familiar with interpreting SMART data.

If the answer is to just return it(hopefully I can still find the box, i think its in the recycling bin) what should I replace it with? Are there any budget minded recommendations, which have decent reliability?

Edit: bleh I forgot about SSD firmware updates, looks like latest is from 7/23/2019, *maybe* that will solve my problems?

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 16, 2019

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Are you still running overclocked? Some PCIe devices don’t like overclocks if the BCLK frequency is changed which some motherboards use for the PCIe reference clock.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

priznat posted:

Are you still running overclocked? Some PCIe devices don’t like overclocks if the BCLK frequency is changed which some motherboards use for the PCIe reference clock.
No I set everything in BIOS back to default settings (except for choosing the corresponding RAM XMP profile, but I wouldn't really count that as overclocking).

Anyways, I applied the SSD firmware update and it seems stable for the past couple hours so far.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

peepsalot posted:

No I set everything in BIOS back to default settings (except for choosing the corresponding RAM XMP profile, but I wouldn't really count that as overclocking).

Anyways, I applied the SSD firmware update and it seems stable for the past couple hours so far.
Welp, I guess I just got lucky on that run. It was going well for many hours, then I stopped the workload and restarted it and the same issue happened again. So back to the original question: should I be looking to return this drive or is there anything else to check at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

makere
Jan 14, 2012

peepsalot posted:

Welp, I guess I just got lucky on that run. It was going well for many hours, then I stopped the workload and restarted it and the same issue happened again. So back to the original question: should I be looking to return this drive or is there anything else to check at this point?

What if you disable XMP?