Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Case Files is good but the original episodes haven't really impressed me when held up compared to the novel stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Exia posted:

Episode 0 of Babylonia is now streaming on FUNimation Now

Why does it have to be there when most of the other fate stuff is on Crunchyroll and/or Netflix. :negative:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I was going to watch Case Files 5 but I decided to watch Baylonia 00 first.

E: Babylonia 00 was good and I'd like more please.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 4, 2019

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Grouchio posted:

The lack of El-Melloi talk in here is killin me.

Episode 5 felt better than most of UBW.

UBW has the least Illya and Case Files is giving us Reines every episode, it’s a blowout really

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Waver Velvet, Wizard Detective could probably have a thread to itself, but I know I'm too lazy to make it.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

How many episodes will it have, the usual 12?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

It was pretty funny seeing waver fire off those weak shots and still recoiling while everyone else was killing monsters with ease

You can see why he has his complex

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Arbite posted:

How many episodes will it have, the usual 12?

13, according to My Anime List.

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER
I dread the end of Waver Files but can't wait for Babylon to start.
Glad to finally hear the words Rail Zepplin. Let's go

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Purple star girl, you are really barking up the wrong tree here.

Good episode. Luvia, Reines, and Trim are all great.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Reines is the Best Smug girl in existence and you can't say otherwise. :allears:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The girls are very good and I hope all three of them get more chances to shine. Well, I'm sure Reines and Gray will, but Luvia is a minor character here. Which she'd probably be mad about, but hey, that's still more of a role than Rin has, which offsets that...probably.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Using the Egyptian busts in place of the characters' faces for the "girl's party" discussion was an inspired choice and good bit of visual foreshadowing for the end of the episode.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Aug 11, 2019

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Blaze Dragon posted:

The girls are very good and I hope all three of them get more chances to shine. Well, I'm sure Reines and Gray will, but Luvia is a minor character here. Which she'd probably be mad about, but hey, that's still more of a role than Rin has, which offsets that...probably.

Is the case files timeline the same as FSN? If that's the case, where does Gray run off to between now and when Rin starts attending the Clock Tower?

...She doesn't end up in Avalon, does she? That place is full of assholes!

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

OnimaruXLR posted:

Is the case files timeline the same as FSN? If that's the case, where does Gray run off to between now and when Rin starts attending the Clock Tower?

...She doesn't end up in Avalon, does she? That place is full of assholes!

Case Files is indeed the same timeline as FSN. The last book ends just a little bit after Shirou summons Saber. They specifically mention when it happens and everything.

IIRC, Gray doesn't go anywhere at all. She should be right there for an awkward meeting with Rin, as well as Shirou in UBW, and Saber herself in UBW good end.

Mind you, the last volume of Case Files didn't come out until a couple months ago so there hasn't been any time for any depictions of what happened afterward.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't recall there ever being a depiction of Rin's life at the Clocktower that was detailed enough to make us think it'd be odd for El Melloi II to have an apprentice we just hadn't met.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder how El-Melloi initially reacted (or will) when he heard Shirou merc'd Gilgamesh.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Grouchio posted:

I wonder how El-Melloi initially reacted (or will) when he heard Shirou merc'd Gilgamesh.

Was there any indication that anyone (outside Kirei and Kiritsugu) knew Gil was fully incarnated by the Grail after the 4th war?

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Clarste posted:

I don't recall there ever being a depiction of Rin's life at the Clocktower that was detailed enough to make us think it'd be odd for El Melloi II to have an apprentice we just hadn't met.

We know Waver was her advisor, and if drama CDs can be considered canon they were at least close enough for her to rope him in to help teach her how to drive. At the very least Waver definitely had interest in them and how the HGW shaped up.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Doesn't he aid Rin in dismantling the greater grail ten years after FSN (something yet to be written?)

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Doesn't he aid Rin in dismantling the greater grail ten years after FSN (something yet to be written?)

Yeah, IIRC after the end of Fate and UBW routes, Rin comes back to Fuyuki with Waver, try to dismantle the Greater Grail and the whole thing quickly turns into a full-fledged Magi war against Zouken (who is still alive in those two routes and obviously violently disagrees about the whole dismantling grail thing) that is supposed to be just as huge and wild conflict as 5th Grail War, which they end up winning, killing Zouken for good, saving Sakura and dismantling the grail in the process. The whole thing is also barely a footnote in any available Fate material.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I love the opening theme of Case Files. Then again, I'm a sucker for soaring music that combines violins and flutes.

Need to find a good version of it now.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, IIRC after the end of Fate and UBW routes, Rin comes back to Fuyuki with Waver, try to dismantle the Greater Grail and the whole thing quickly turns into a full-fledged Magi war against Zouken (who is still alive in those two routes and obviously violently disagrees about the whole dismantling grail thing) that is supposed to be just as huge and wild conflict as 5th Grail War, which they end up winning, killing Zouken for good, saving Sakura and dismantling the grail in the process. The whole thing is also barely a footnote in any available Fate material.
Yeah I think there's a reluctance to do any FSN followups since they would require committing to one of the endings (FHA very much being the exception that proves the rule here).

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

That seems like it would be an incredibly interesting and fertile base for a new VN and so there is absolutely zero chance we'll see it unless it becomes a LN first. And then it'll have an infinitesimally small chance.

ffs what was the last VN type moon put out?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
FGO, 2015.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

DamnGlitch posted:

That seems like it would be an incredibly interesting and fertile base for a new VN and so there is absolutely zero chance we'll see it unless it becomes a LN first. And then it'll have an infinitesimally small chance.

It would be way less interesting than what you imagine. It would be cool, no doubt, but it's literally "good guys VS bad guy, then the good guys win and the day is saved", nothing more.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

DamnGlitch posted:

How do VNs do, in financial terms, compared to other media formats in general?

Putting FGO out of the equation because it makes enough money to choke an elephant with 10,000 yen notes, would it be any more beneficial to do a hypothetical Last Fuyuki Holy Grail War project as a VN vs a TV series, or a movie, or as mentioned, a light novel?

I mean, I sure as poo poo know that if I was Nasu, I'd rather write a 120 page screenplay than another multiple-tens-of-thousands pages long visual novel

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think their last VN was Mahoyo. TM VNs will probably sell pretty well due to their massive following but making one has to be several orders of magnitude more effort than making like a 5 minute FGO skit that will probably generate the same amount of money.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

There is also the little problem that VNs are a dying medium.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

YggdrasilTM posted:

There is also the little problem that VNs are a dying medium.
What? Are they really? I have literally never heard this.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Elephant Parade posted:

What? Are they really? I have literally never heard this.

Yep. Visual novels sales in JP have been dwindiling from some time.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

YggdrasilTM posted:

Yep. Visual novels sales in JP have been dwindiling from some time.
Do you have any kind of source to back this up? Because again, I've literally never heard this before.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I think a post-FGO TM VN would do fine regardless though.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Elephant Parade posted:

Do you have any kind of source to back this up? Because again, I've literally never heard this before.

Nope, only second hand discussions on Beast Lair. Feel free to believe them or not.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Elephant Parade posted:

We've known the VN market was dying for years now.

Size of the eroge market in Japan, not counting doujin games. Doesn't count english language stuff, and I dunno if it counts non-eroge VNs like When they Cry, Steins Gate, Mahoyo, etc, but the trend is pretty certain. There have been cases of companies that were once big players filing for bankruptcy every year now. You don't see nearly as many big AAA games like Fate Stay Night or Muv Luv Alternative as you used to, either.

Part of it is piracy (a lot of these games don't have good DRM, and cost more than $100), part of it is shrinking userbase due to competition from other media, fewer young people buying PCs because of smartphones (and fewer of those PCs having optical disc drives because the industry was real slow to adopt download sales), but the main issue is that there are more profitable avenues for companies to pursue now. It's a lot more profitable to try and make an absolute garbage browser game or cell phone game with a gacha attached than it is to write an amazing script for a 40+ hour VN and fully voice it.

Type Moon is on the extreme end of this- they print so much money with FGO that any VNs they'd announced previously like Mahoyo or the Tsukihime remake are basically just vanity projects at this point. But even other big VN studios like Nitro+ make most of their money from non-VN products.

There's some faint hope that companies are finally starting to release stuff through big online retailers like Steam, and successful kickstarters have shown that there's a market for this stuff outside of Japan, but it might be too little too late at this point.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

FSN and MLA are interesting examples because they were both big eroge releases from companies that later produced all-ages VNs (including remakes of those ones) that wouldn't appear in those stats. The incentive to add a couple of sex scenes to your story-based game has largely disappeared and I think that might be skewing that trend somewhat.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 13, 2019

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

remake f/sn with even more sex scenes give us a caster route

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Stairmaster posted:

remake f/sn with even more sex scenes give us a caster route

Caster route implies she doesn't stay with Kuzuki which gently caress you. Don't mess with the only pure relationship in all of Type-Moon. :colbert:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Give us a caster route

Make US Kuzuki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Caster route implies she doesn't stay with Kuzuki which gently caress you. Don't mess with the only pure relationship in all of Type-Moon. :colbert:

caster is my wife actually