Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

a goon who can't even murder his famil. a shameful goon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Miss posted:

a goon who can't even murder his famil. a shameful goon

I mean, as a consequence of his actions and murderous intent, his parents are dead. It's virtually the same as killing them, it just didn't play out exactly according to keikaku*.

*keikaku means plan

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

There better be some overly detailed drawings of prison food

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Mr. Steak posted:

sike, bitches! we're nowhere near done!

Oh thank God, this comic is the gift that keeps on giving.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

I am strapped in and ready

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

You had me going, I thought you were bluffing with the "nah bruv it's super long really".

A_Account
Nov 29, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I feel like I'm playing baseball with all these curve balls coming my way.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Help me out with Japanese legal system and the seemingly ‘ask for an arrest get 5 years’ loophole. I didn’t fully understand that part.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Five years hard labor?!

Oof, Tohru definitely didn't think this plan through. Now he has to work!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
He's gonna get involved with a prison gang, leave the system as a hardened* Yakuza.

*Meaning he strained his ankle once.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Mordja posted:

He's gonna get involved with a prison gang, leave the system as a hardened* Yakuza.

*Meaning he strained his ankle once.

As amusing as that would be, I don't think he'd be able to have much contact with any other prisoner during his time.

In Japanese prisons, you live like a loving robot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCF6eAKPtRQ

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Negrostrike posted:

As amusing as that would be, I don't think he'd be able to have much contact with any other prisoner during his time.

Oh, so not much different than working in Japan.

I really thought he was going to say he killed them - by driving them to suicide. But I guess that's what actually happened so.

I'm glad whatever he tried didn't work.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Negrostrike posted:

Wow, this video makes Japanese prisons seem really effective at rehabilitation.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Did he want to go to prison? The evidence and his parents actions really should have worked in his favor...

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Man he sure owned that policeman.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
:neet:

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Mr. Steak posted:

Wow, this video makes Japanese prisons seem really effective at rehabilitation.

Some if it looks smart or effective but there are some big red flags even with some of the basic premises (like only allowing 8 mins/day of socialization) that show they have fundamental misconceptions about what rehabilitation is. Or maybe they know exactly what it is, and know what the goal of their habilitation is - drones.

e: i only watched the first 40 mins before i had to get back to work so maybe they touch on this

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

gently caress me, that video is terrifying.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Kazak posted:

Did he want to go to prison? The evidence and his parents actions really should have worked in his favor...
Unless something's changed recently(which I doubt), Japan's justice system relies a lot on pressuring people to confess, so he basically guaranteed he was going to prison once he confessed to a crime he didn't commit. If he never lied about doing it, he probably would have been fine.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So he confessed to murder to get guaranteed 5 years as opposed to going to trial with the possible death sentence?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

best bale posted:

So he confessed to murder to get guaranteed 5 years as opposed to going to trial with the possible death sentence?

He confessed to murder in order to throw the investigation into chaos.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Huh. His plan sure is somethin’

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
How long until the protagonist discovers his super powers or is aided unconditionally by a supernatural being?

Really dragging it out here!!!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Chomp8645 posted:

How long until the protagonist discovers his super powers or is aided unconditionally by a supernatural being?

Really dragging it out here!!!

That was the narrator

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Just marathoned the whole comic. This is much more eventful than I was thinking. I thought he would still just be googling "how to own the libs"

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

best bale posted:

to be honest, i have no idea what the cop dude meant about the 5 years/death penalty thing. i just put the literal meaning of his words, shrugged, and posted it haha

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Still, it does make sense like...the detective is all: "Huh...this kid is just confessing, to take the shorter hit rather than the possible harder one, is it?" not knowing that with Tohru he's totally overthinking it and that he's too stupid to be doing it for any long-term reason. It's just the immediate 'I wanna be a criminal!' if that means lying his way into jail.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I wonder what they would do if tohru or anybody just came up and said "pls to imprison me, i would like to be a convict"

Can you check into jail.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

projecthalaxy posted:

I wonder what they would do if tohru or anybody just came up and said "pls to imprison me, i would like to be a convict"

Can you check into jail.

That would mean the state would have to give food and accomodations to any citizen that requested it, which would be insane.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
heres how the trial probably went:

tohru: "i plead guilty." (prove me wrong, fuckers)
judge: "okay, take him away boys."
tohru: "what? the trial's not happening?"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Lies about doing crime and goes to jail.

Typical NEET/Millennial. Doesn't want to do the work, just wants to get straight to the result!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

projecthalaxy posted:

Can you check into jail.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5564124/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Hey, thats neat. Thanks for the link.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Glad to know I wasn’t the only one not understanding his plan.

Tohru = galaxy brain moron

Captain Crunk
Jun 19, 2005
Lurking for 2 years...
Just binged all 45 pages. Thanks for the "work" Mr. Steak - gonna check out your other links now.
Deffo didn't expect random suicide

Tch.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Steak posted:

It just so happens that I've read about 75 pages of the "crime" branch, so I know that it is both hilarious and also absolutely not what you probably expect or wanted.

none of you can complain

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Let me get this straight: his dad definitely killed himself? our hero didn't force father's hand?

If the criminal branch is him going upriver on a false confession that's some flimsy poo poo

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Let’s be honest, he was just going to waste the next 5 years anyways.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

personally I feel like this is the best way things could have gone (as far as my entertainment, anyway)

whoever said this was like death note with idiots is right, and i love everything about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

Can you check into jail.

I'm pretty sure that was an episode of something I briefly watched once. There were some homeless people or something that were in jail for a bit and refused to leave because they had four walls, a roof over their heads, and meals, but they had to commit a crime to be there.

I really liked the parts where you can see what the detective is thinking and what Touru thinks the detective is thinking, and they don't line up at all, haha.