Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Motherfucker posted:

punished skeletor

Solid Skeletor

Or the most deadly of them all - Venom Skeletor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Moon Slayer posted:

I just want to point out that there's precedent for a villain with a sympathetic backstory not getting a redemption arc in a kid's show: Princess Azula. She didn't get redeemed, she had a psychotic break and her last on-screen appearance was her writhing around on the ground screaming and crying in chains and it was incredibly disturbing.

Dang, I need to do an A:TLA rewatch. I've powered through She-Ra, Voltron, Dragon Prince, even Final Space, and still need that animation itch scratched.

Azula was a secondary villain of Avatar, to be fair. While she occasionally antagonized Aang, and even nearly killed him in the finale of the second season, she was mostly Zuko's nemesis. The finale was Aang against the Firelord, while Zuko fought Azula. I was going to say that it's hard to imagine Catra being pushed in to the background, for others to deal with while Adora takes on Hordak or something, but after this season's finale, that is actually plausible. Adora is just loving done with Catra's poo poo, so I could see her leaving Catra to Glimmer, Bow or the Princess Alliance in future because she has bigger things to deal with. And that would infuriate Catra.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

tsob posted:

Adora takes on Hordak or something

I feel like Adora's final nemesis might end up being Light Hope with Shadow Weaver offing Catra (and probably also dying in the confrontation)

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Moon Slayer posted:

I just want to point out that there's precedent for a villain with a sympathetic backstory not getting a redemption arc in a kid's show: Princess Azula. She didn't get redeemed, she had a psychotic break and her last on-screen appearance was her writhing around on the ground screaming and crying in chains and it was incredibly disturbing.

At least one of the creators (writers? I can't remember exactly who said it) have admitted to wanting and planning on giving her one, but it ended up not happening.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

At least one of the creators (writers? I can't remember exactly who said it) have admitted to wanting and planning on giving her one, but it ended up not happening.

It was Aaron Ehasz. Apparently, by the end, they didn't know what Nickeldon was going to do with Avatar. They were juggling a live action flick (which they kept getting pushed out of more-and-more until all of their ideas and suggestions were thrown out), a possible animated movie (which became The Promise comic series), a potential sequel series, and the idea of a season 4. The last of which never made it past a single planning session of possible ways to continue the series into another season.

The general idea was this: "Let's watch the world rebuild after the 100 year war, with a focus on Azula growing into a better person and redeeming herself." This never came to be as the animated movie became a comic, the live action movie being a flop, and the sequel series getting greenlit which was Legend of Korra. The idea of "what happens directly after the 100 year war" became regulated to the comics, which are still being released today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m5oEy8AFfc

This is just a random video on it. Didn't watch it, but I'm sure they regurgitate all the same info from the twitter posts.

Fun fact: the original post by Aaron was on April 1st so people thought it was an April Fool's joke at first.

Covok fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 12, 2019

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I am thinking Catra may get the redemptive sacrifice but honestly so far I haven’t guessed any major twists.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

High Warlord Zog posted:

I feel like Adora's final nemesis might end up being Light Hope with Shadow Weaver offing Catra (and probably also dying in the confrontation)

Jesus this is dark. This thread has gone to a dark place.

It’s a kids show about finding your place in the world and being fabulous as hell while doing so. The whole gang will eventually get together to chaos dunk on Horde Prime and everything will be rainbows forever exvept shadow weaver who got pushed into a black hole

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

HorseLord posted:

I can't really see Shadow Weaver as having any villainy at all, she just takes what side will have her. The only reason she's "Shadow Weaver" in the first place is that she attempted to defeat the hoard her own way, and suffered not only disfigurement but exile because of it. Her choice was death or Hordak at that point. Then Hordak has enough of her, she goes and crashes on Glimmer's couch, being useful and not taking up any of several telegraphed opportunities to betray them.

You can say that she treats her kids in lovely indefensible ways but I mean yeah, she's a mother, they all do that, it's baseline human behavior. Part of being an adult is deciding which way you pretend it didn't happen to you.

That's really Catra's problem. You either repress the memory and keep going around for sunday dinner, or you cut off contact, but here Eternia's top furry is going around destroying the world and poo poo.

seek therapy

like seriously this is yr reaction to an animated kids show

it's ok to have problems but not dealing with them is going to do even more damage to you long-term

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
This is a good read, especially after all the discussion in this thread: https://www.polygon.com/interviews/2019/8/8/20754982/she-ra-season-3-interview-noelle-stevenson

In particular:

quote:

In the last few episodes, Catra makes some pretty drastic choices that further alienate her from Adora. It almost feels like she’s hit a point of no return. Can she come back from this?

Right now she has crossed a line in the sand that she can’t come easily back from. Her story, our story, and her role in this story is far from over. She’s going to have a lot more choices to make as the show wears on. But at this point she has, she’s made a choice that — I don’t think she’s fully ready to deal with what she’s done yet. It’s not an accident that the first false reality that they get thrown back into sort of centers around them [Catra and Adora]. For Adora, she’s looking for some kind of solution, like, at what point could I have fixed things in the past? Because that’s how she sees things. For Catra, it’s hiding. It’s sort of an escape to the last time things made sense to her, the last time things were simple and the last time she was happy. She’s sort of hiding from what she did. I don’t think she’s ready to face that yet. She hasn’t come to terms with it yet. She’s dug her hole and she has keeps taking it deeper. That’s where we are this season.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Catra dig up

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Catra dig up

this is what happens when you overfill the litterbox they just keep going until all the litter's on the floor

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Solid Skeletor

Or the most deadly of them all - Venom Skeletor.
Skolidus Eletor.

But in fact, only one Skeletor is fabulous enough for this show.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Halloween Jack posted:

Skolidus Eletor.

I love that movie, still have the cosmic key as my ringtone

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I just read the last few pages, so I don’t know if this has been discussed or not. If it has, sorry.

Did anyone else kind of get the impression from Mara’s recording that she didn’t send Etheria off into its own pocket dimension to protect Etheria from something, but to protect the galaxy from Etheria?

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
It's a giant magical battery, and SOMEONE just recently adapted Horde tech to run on it, I am sure it'd be fine dropped into the hands of an interstellar expansionist empire. Mara shouldn't have worried so much!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I don’t mean like someone else misusing Etheria’s power, but maybe Etheria itself having been the aggressor in the past, or maybe it being essentially a mammoth weapon of conquest.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Almost every single piece of old one's tech has been hostile when activated, so they might not have been very nice people. Or maybe whatever that disk that causes all that corruption of first one tech got neutralized when Mara pulled them into the phantom zone. At least until it got messed with by Entrapta.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

SHVPS4DETH posted:

seek therapy

like seriously this is yr reaction to an animated kids show

it's ok to have problems but not dealing with them is going to do even more damage to you long-term

I think you should probably not try and diagnose internet strangers just because you don't like them pointing out that being mean to kids is not on the same level as world domination or genocide.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Phylodox posted:

I just read the last few pages, so I don’t know if this has been discussed or not. If it has, sorry.

Did anyone else kind of get the impression from Mara’s recording that she didn’t send Etheria off into its own pocket dimension to protect Etheria from something, but to protect the galaxy from Etheria?

Yeah, this is how I read that too. There's some things that don't make sense unless Etheria's the aggressor. Stuff like Mara destroying the tower thing to weaken Light Hope's capabilities, the red virus that Entrapta was messing with acting more like a "kill every enemy" switch that seems more like an Old Ones tech feature than a bug, or how Light Hope noting that Adora's emotions are making her go down the same path as Mara. My guess is that Mara's a lot like Adora and Huntara in that she's a soldier who realized the harm their side was doing and tried to make things right.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

HorseLord posted:

I think you should probably not try and diagnose internet strangers just because you don't like them pointing out that being mean to kids is not on the same level as world domination or genocide.

i never pretended to know what yr problems are but i know pain when i see it

i'm sorry that empathy wounds you

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Rae Geiger posted this so it’s basically canon ok

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
The original Scorpia had some very Divine eyeshadow, and a deep voice. I don't know if that was deliberate, or if it's just because Linda Gary was already doing 6 other voices on that show.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

amigolupus posted:

Yeah, this is how I read that too. There's some things that don't make sense unless Etheria's the aggressor. Stuff like Mara destroying the tower thing to weaken Light Hope's capabilities, the red virus that Entrapta was messing with acting more like a "kill every enemy" switch that seems more like an Old Ones tech feature than a bug, or how Light Hope noting that Adora's emotions are making her go down the same path as Mara. My guess is that Mara's a lot like Adora and Huntara in that she's a soldier who realized the harm their side was doing and tried to make things right.

There was a ton of stuff packed into those scenes.

- The purple hologram doesn't look a thing like the sad Mara and looks/sounds like Light Hope. Might mean nothing but the red tech was easily able to take over Adora so the First Ones clearly had a control trigger if She-ra ever went berserk.

- Mara was part of the first group to settle Etheria to study the magic, its not the original First Ones home so there would have to be other "First Ones" in the universe not a part of whatever was going on

- Stuttering about Light Hope, a weapon of some kind, panic. Light Hope has repeatedly tried to push Adora to ignore and not care about her friends or other people and just focus on being She-ra.

- Mara pulled Etheria away to keep "everyone" safe, warns of death and destruction if found, its needs to stay hidden for the good of the universe.

It's almost deliberately ambiguous enough to make a case that Etheria was either the source of the destruction or so powerful that it sparked massive conflict and war over control of it. It's not even clear if Light Hope is shaping up as an antagonist or she's just a lawful neutral AI that doesn't regard using the power of Etheria as a problem for defense or attack.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

The original Scorpia had some very Divine eyeshadow, and a deep voice. I don't know if that was deliberate, or if it's just because Linda Gary was already doing 6 other voices on that show.

I think it was literally just because yeah, her voice repertoire was stretched to its limit with how much they used her. Melendy Britt's Catra voice was similar (and hilarious) - it was pretty much just a pitchier take on her Adora voice with a bunch of random yowls and MYAAAAs thrown in, to the point where Catra sounded like she was constantly on the verge of having a stroke.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Halloween Jack posted:

Skolidus Eletor.

Frank Langella's Skeltor is best version of the character, its the only time Skeltor has any gravitas, menace or competence. Hell the starting point of the movie is Skeltor won. Shame the rest of the movie is a dumpster fire.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Literally the only scene of that movie I remember is when they first arrive on earth and Man At Arms somehow finds a bucket of buffalo wings or something and shares them with everyone in the good guy team.

Everyone is enjoying the meal until someone asks him what they're actually eating and they all lose their minds when he tells them it's meat, because they're advanced space aliens and don't do that.

So, everyone spits out the food, but Man At Arms is still happily chomping away on his chunk of fried meat with the bucket tucked under his arm.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Dangit Catra, stop making Garfield funny!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

side_burned posted:

Frank Langella's Skeltor is best version of the character, its the only time Skeltor has any gravitas, menace or competence. Hell the starting point of the movie is Skeltor won. Shame the rest of the movie is a dumpster fire.

Best bit of trivia from that movie is that apparently Langella had an absolute blast and Skeletor is, like, his favourite role and he really wanted to do it again.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ElBrak posted:

Almost every single piece of old one's tech has been hostile when activated, so they might not have been very nice people. Or maybe whatever that disk that causes all that corruption of first one tech got neutralized when Mara pulled them into the phantom zone. At least until it got messed with by Entrapta.

The old ones are pretty much Eternians though? There’s not a lot of other reasons saying a password phrase with “Grayskull” in it would turn you into a hulking musclehead.

Also I’d like to take a moment to appreciate that Adora is a loveable clumsy oaf whose skill range includes “punch thing” and “get big to punch things harder.” Any time she’s called upon to engage in nuance and deception she inevitably makes the whole thing laughable :allears:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Chokes McGee posted:

The old ones are pretty much Eternians though? There’s not a lot of other reasons saying a password phrase with “Grayskull” in it would turn you into a hulking musclehead.

Eternia’s pretty much the same as Etheria, though, isn’t it? A bunch of feudal society goombuses messing around with advanced technology left behind by a precursor race.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Phylodox posted:

Best bit of trivia from that movie is that apparently Langella had an absolute blast and Skeletor is, like, his favourite role and he really wanted to do it again.

He *really* likes playing a villain. Watch "Dave" if you haven't before. He was also by far the most enjoyable part of "Cutthroat Island." Can't really recommend you watch *that* one, though - even though I really, really, *really* like Geena Davis.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Cutthroat Island is a notoriously massive box office bomb, but it's not a bad movie. They spent lavishly on location shooting and practical effects, and it shows.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Phylodox posted:

Should get Langella to voice Skeletor

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Moon Slayer posted:

Dang, I need to do an A:TLA rewatch. I've powered through She-Ra, Voltron, Dragon Prince, even Final Space, and still need that animation itch scratched.

Counterpoint: I find Catra rather charming, in a deranged way, but Azula was absolutely loathsome and deserved what she got. So you can't really compare the two. At least it doesn't work with me!

Edit:

Azula is more like Shadow Weaver, as in both are characters which incite nothing but contempt and irritation whenever I have the bad luck to watch them on screen. :argh:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 13, 2019

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

It extremely sucks that Glimmer is stuck with World's Worst Mom now.

ItWasMoida
Jan 31, 2019

I only come out when it is wet.
So how do people of feel at the end of S3 with Adora giving Catra the "Samurai Jack," eyes?

That was the highlight of the whole season for me. Just the look on Catra's face told me this was the first genuine time she was afraid of She-Ra .

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

ItWasMoida posted:

So how do people of feel at the end of S3 with Adora giving Catra the "Samurai Jack," eyes?

That was the highlight of the whole season for me. Just the look on Catra's face told me this was the first genuine time she was afraid of She-Ra .

It loving ruled. My partner and I were whooping and hollering.

ItWasMoida
Jan 31, 2019

I only come out when it is wet.
Same here. It was a hand to mouth, "OooooooOOOOoo!" moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Azhais posted:

Should get Langella to voice Skeletor

This is the best idea, and thus can't happen.