Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I wonder how compromised Peter Jackson's doc will be, given the "the Beatles Were Perfect Revisionist History Machine"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

RichterIX posted:

I wonder how compromised Peter Jackson's doc will be, given the "the Beatles Were Perfect Revisionist History Machine"

After Eight Days a Week, it will be "very" or "completely."

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

Next year - Peter Jackson is doing a new doc using all the unused footage and the original film will be included as well.

Aww yea. I hope it happens for real this time.

RichterIX posted:

McCartney himself said that the Beatles Anthology miniseries and book are so full of misinformation that it might as well have been called "The Beatles Mythology".

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Hey, just a heads-up, the BFI Herzog collection is on sale on UK Amazon, and currently has 51% off the usual price.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

What's a good place to look up if a bluray exists in non-region A (so not blu-ray.com), if it can be played in a region A player such as the Xbox One X or PS4k, and where's a good place to import?

Specifically, I want to get seasons 7+ of Adventure Time on bluray, and see if I can do that without having to buy a new bluray player.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

IUG posted:

What's a good place to look up if a bluray exists in non-region A (so not blu-ray.com), if it can be played in a region A player such as the Xbox One X or PS4k, and where's a good place to import?

Specifically, I want to get seasons 7+ of Adventure Time on bluray, and see if I can do that without having to buy a new bluray player.

I'm not too sure (although blu-ray.com does show different releases and region coding), but in this case Adventure Time has a Region B release on blu that's region free to my knowledge.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

I'm not too sure (although blu-ray.com does show different releases and region coding), but in this case Adventure Time has a Region B release on blu that's region free to my knowledge.

You know, I never noticed that little flag in the search bar until you said something. Thanks.

...The last few seasons all say region B, A/C untested. Guess I won't bother then.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

IUG posted:

You know, I never noticed that little flag in the search bar until you said something. Thanks.

...The last few seasons all say region B, A/C untested. Guess I won't bother then.

https://www.reddit.com/r/adventuretime/comments/7vu6gz/madman_season_7_bluray_region_b_works_fine_for_me/

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

To further this, I just tried my Region B flagged Season 1 and 2 discs in the player I use solely for Region A Criterions and it definitely works. At least the Australian dollar is pissweak at the moment so you'll get them nice and cheap!

Also, thinking about it, isn't Cartoon Network owned by Warner Bros? They're pretty universally region free releases as far as I can remember, so you should be safe.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

I've gotten into steelbooks. they're real nice but my OCD is flaring up from keeping track of which store has which steelbook and whether it's still in production.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

I, Butthole posted:

Also, thinking about it, isn't Cartoon Network owned by Warner Bros? They're pretty universally region free releases as far as I can remember, so you should be safe.

AT&T>WarnerMedia>Turner>Cartoon Network

Either way, they've been region free since the Blu-Ray v HD-DVD wars so you'll be fine.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

In general, you're safe with stuff by these studios:

Warner - Nearly everything is region free worldwide
Universal - Any titles released by Universal in the US and UK/Europe are region free (some are locked if there's different rights across continents)
Paramount - Same
Indicator - Nearly all films licensed from Sony (Their website conveniently notes region status for each title)
BFI - Most independently-owned films are region free, usually listed.
Twilight Time - Usually region free, check Blu-ray.com
Arrow - Any titles with simultaneous UK/US releases tend to be region free
Criterion - They've recently been encoding a lot of titles as A/B due to simultaneous releases or at least in proximity.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Thanks all. Now I just have to find a place to order them on sale, because the last three seasons seem to be $100 at full price. :whitewater:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

McCartney himself said that the Beatles Anthology miniseries and book are so full of misinformation that it might as well have been called "The Beatles Mythology".

The Beatles really aren't even that good. Somewhere in my closet I have a cassette tape my dad recorded off the radio at some point, probably in the 80's, about the whole "Paul is dead" mythology, and that whole thing is a hell of a lot more fascinating than anything else the Beatles have ever done before or since. I should digitize it at some point, but I need to get a cassette player.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Iron Crowned posted:

The Beatles really aren't even that good.

Why would you say something so controversial yet so brave?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
How's that Goofy Movie blu ray? Did Disney gently caress it up like they do with so many of the old movies?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

IUG posted:

Thanks all. Now I just have to find a place to order them on sale, because the last three seasons seem to be $100 at full price. :whitewater:

S8: https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-shows/movies-tv-shows-on-sale/tv-childrens/adventure-time-season-8/341377/
S9: https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-shows/movies-tv-shows-on-sale/tv-childrens/adventure-time-season-9/346981/
S10: https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-shows/movies-tv-shows-on-sale/tv-childrens/adventure-time-season-10/354247/

$75AU which works out to about $50US; not sure what shipping would cost, though. If you keep an eye on JB Hi Fi they have pretty regular 20% off sales, and more infrequent buy two get one free sales on TV show sets.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Unmature posted:

How's that Goofy Movie blu ray? Did Disney gently caress it up like they do with so many of the old movies?

It looks fine. Just a 2.0 audio track, but that sounds fine. No extras.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

egon_beeblebrox posted:

It looks fine. Just a 2.0 audio track, but that sounds fine. No extras.

I really would love some movies with an optional "theatrical experience" audio track which sounds like poo poo, but it's a genuine experience for watching something from 1986

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
I made am eme

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just wanted to note that BN.com has good prices on Warner Archive Blu-rays. They recently put out/or about to release The Thin Man, Jezebel (Bette Davis/William Wyler), Merrill's Marauders (Sam Fuller WWII film), and Footlight Parade (James Cagney/Busby Berkeley). Nothing but positive word on the new restorations. There's also a remaster of The Witches (Nicolas Roeg's adaptation of the Roald Dahl story) coming in a week or two.

Better than WBShop's pricing outside sales and as good as Amazon, except Amazon has been horrible about the releases since they tend to take almost two months to ship, even if pre-ordered.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Just wanted to note that BN.com has good prices on Warner Archive Blu-rays. They recently put out/or about to release The Thin Man, Jezebel (Bette Davis/William Wyler), Merrill's Marauders (Sam Fuller WWII film), and Footlight Parade (James Cagney/Busby Berkeley). Nothing but positive word on the new restorations. There's also a remaster of The Witches (Nicolas Roeg's adaptation of the Roald Dahl story) coming in a week or two.

Better than WBShop's pricing outside sales and as good as Amazon, except Amazon has been horrible about the releases since they tend to take almost two months to ship, even if pre-ordered.

There needs to be a Track 29 blu-ray. There was a DVD several years back but I read that it sucks and isn't even in widescreen. I'd like for Criterion to do it, but I'd be satisfied if anyone at all would release the loving thing.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

There needs to be a Track 29 blu-ray. There was a DVD several years back but I read that it sucks and isn't even in widescreen. I'd like for Criterion to do it, but I'd be satisfied if anyone at all would release the loving thing.

Indicator put out a Region B disc:
https://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/collections/frontpage/products/track-29-le

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Warner Archive just announced their September titles:

The Letter (1940)
The Set-Up (1949)
A Touch of Class (1973)
My Favorite Year (1982)
Popeye the Sailor: The 1940s Volume Three (1947-1949)

This month and last also have a ton of greats: The Thin Man, Footlight Parade, Fritz Lang's Moonfleet, Sam Fuller's Merrill's Marauders, William Wyler's Jezebel, the complete original The Jetsons, V: The Original Miniseries, John Ford's Wagon Master, and Nicolas Roeg's The Witches.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I only have a region 1 player. :(

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
So, a heads-up for the Bad Boys of Region B:

Amazon have got Criterion's UK release of It Happened One Night for sale.

They've also got Studio Canal's Jean-Luc Godard collection (it includes Breathless, Une Femme Est Une Femme, Le Mepris, Alphaville and Pierrot Le Fou) and Jean-Pierre Melville collection (Bob Le Flambeur, Army of Shadows, Le Cercle Rouge, Un Flic, Le Doulos and Leon Morin, Pretre), also by Studio Canal on sale as well.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Unmature posted:

Wolf of Wall Street is one of the best films of the decade

I think I can safely call it the best role of DiCaprio's career, and also a role he totally shouldn't have been cast in. He's absolutely nothing like Jordan Belfort, but he makes it work somehow.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/indicatorseries/status/1163874334986911748?s=21

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Big deluxe Twin Peaks box set:
https://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/twin-peaks-from-z-to-a-collection/?fbclid=IwAR2UsgI-7rlfS0z9QOKi1P4ZemLsNcYvPhRd8_g_9Fzvzf8vIU_J_Avfu-g

Limited edition with only 25K copies worldwide. Biggest new feature is a UHD disc with the pilot (and international version) newly remastered in 4K plus Episode 8 of The Return in 4K.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Hell Comes to Frog Town My Mail Box today! :woop:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Hell Comes to Frog Town My Mail Box today! :woop:

I'm sorry to hear that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Looks like The Wizard of Oz is getting a UHD release in October. HDR + Wizard of Oz is something I definitely want to see so I'm looking forward to it.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Does anyone have a recommendation for a blu ray burner?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk

Indicator sale going on this weekend. Doesn't include their 2019 releases, but lots of great stuff. I ordered the Fuller and Castle Vol. 2 sets, plus Fat City and Experiment in Terror. All the Harryhausen and Hammer boxes are marked down (except for the Sinbad trilogy, which is OOP)

edit: Also picked up the standard editions of Hardcore, Night of the Demon, and 10 Rillington Place plus the limited edition The Big Heat.

Basebf555 posted:

Looks like The Wizard of Oz is getting a UHD release in October. HDR + Wizard of Oz is something I definitely want to see so I'm looking forward to it.

Color and contrast should be incredible. I saw a 35mm dye-transfer print years ago and I couldn't believe how deep the black levels were, especially the Wicked Witch's costume.

That'll sort of make up for Disney releasing Sleeping Beauty on Blu-ray for the third time instead of releasing a UHD. It's insane that they upscaled Toy Story from sub-1080p to UHD while they're not putting out one of two animated features shot on large format Technirama (the other is The Black Cauldron). It would easily be 4K reference material since it was not only shot in large format 8 perf Technirama, but with sequential exposure B&W so there's literally no color fade.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 23, 2019

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Studio Canal are releasing Léon the Professional on 4K in the UK in October.

They also announced the stats for Wizard of Oz. Brand new 8k 16-bit scan of the original Technicolor camera negative with DolbyVision HDR. This is gonna be GORGEOUS!

Liar Lyre fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 24, 2019

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Now that a Tammy and the T-Rex blu-ray is officially happening, I wonder if this thread even has a purpose anymore.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Now that a Tammy and the T-Rex blu-ray is officially happening, I wonder if this thread even has a purpose anymore.

Still got The Day the Clown Cried coming in 2025

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Still got The Day the Clown Cried coming in 2025

If Trump gets a second term we might get it sooner.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CPL593H posted:

Invader Zim isn’t on Blu Ray yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The Duellists needs to be in high definition, God Dammit