Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Larches, might talk to a lawyer now and sort of have things ready just in case. He cantell you what things to keep up with.

This way, you can nail them with all sorts of lawsuits. Include stuff that would cause audits, and people to dig into their business.
You don't have to win, only make it so disruptive and annoying to them, that it gets settled out of court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The guy wants you out, it's going to happen one way or the other. The pressure to not gently caress up is going to make your work miserable and you're going to get incredibly stressed out without necessarily realising why. You don't want to stay there, but leave on your own terms. gently caress them.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

rndmnmbr posted:

You know, if he's hunting for reasons to fire you, it may be time for you to nut up, walk in the director's office, and straight up ask him what his loving problem is. Maybe drop that he's a bully and you're fed up with it and going forwards he can shut up and keep his dickbeaters off your IT policy.

There's no benefit to being polite if you're already on the way out the door.

That being said, I hope you have enough dirt to burn the whole administration down on your way out.

This, but whoever's above him in the reporting chain.

MJP posted:

Seriously, that was insane.

Sweet merciful gently caress, that's awful. Document what you can, but unfortunately I've found that hearsay doesn't tend to get you anywhere with HR. Good luck however you end up handling it.

I'm in the middle of an argument with a co-worker on our internal bitch-board. We recently jettisoned a bunch of silly cultural appropriation we'd been doing internally since the company was founded. I'm being intentionally vague here for those of you who still haven't guessed where I work, because it would likely dox me. Anyway, after someone leaked some internal conversations to the press, our board had to take decisive action in order to not look like assholes, so they made the choice to start phasing out some of our internal terms for things that were borrowed from another culture.

Dude wades into the message board and says it's dumb that we can't just keep doing something that was "intended to be fun." I shot back that it was never "fun" for our indigenous co-workers of said culture.

Things are, predictably, circling the drain. And my boss is out all week, I'm fully off my leash :getin:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

MJP posted:

but holy poo poo, nothing feels worse than being treated disrespectfully by someone in a position of authority over you on a frequent and daily basis.
I frequently remind the head of information security at my client that I don't work for him. Knowing that I can de-facto "quit" with zero notice and leave them hosed while not harming myself at all is a thing I want to keep fresh in his mind.

larchesdanrew posted:

Is there a mixture of :yotj: and :smith:?
You're looking for :confuoot:

Also maybe it's time to report that creepdad to the cops and have them nosing around.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Luckily, there is no end to the number of companies doing dirty to indigenous peoples so your secret is safe, DRJ.

Are you Chief Wahoo?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... isn't :yotj: celebrating that you got a job?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Zereth posted:

... isn't :yotj: celebrating that you got a job?

:yotj: isn't a new job, it's a state of mind.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

rndmnmbr posted:

It buys you time because even if your boss is actively looking to get rid of you being anything but polite gives them a reason to prioritise actually doing it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sickening posted:

Windows client engineering is a very thankless, very low return in value for your time as an employee IMO. It could be an upgrade for your career depending on where you are in it. I would say its more like email management, nobody ever notices except when something doesn't work right. It wouldn't be something I would want to focus on long term.

Just don't be like my engineer group who refuses to increment version numbers when they make changes to the standard image. We had a release today that was "Win10 x64 X.Y Addresses INCZZZZZ and INCAAAAAA."

Versioning isn't loving hard people. x.y-FINAL-USE THIS.ISO would be more useful

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

rndmnmbr posted:

You know, if he's hunting for reasons to fire you, it may be time for you to nut up, walk in the director's office, and straight up ask him what his loving problem is. Maybe drop that he's a bully and you're fed up with it and going forwards he can shut up and keep his dickbeaters off your IT policy.

That being said, I hope you have enough dirt to burn the whole administration down on your way out.

NO no no, this isn't how you do things and for the love of god I hope nobody read this and took this seriously.

A face to face conversation to make sure there isn't any misunderstandings is definitely the way I would go about it. Diplomacy is key. If this situation can get turned around, that is how you do it. Even if this person has made up their mind at the moment that you have to go, interviewing your replacement can sometimes open their eyes to how hard to get the perfect candidate is. They hired you for a reason. Keeping functional relationships with your boss and peers is critical.

Scorched earth when you don't even know for sure you are on your way out is dumb and should be heckled.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Is faxing HIPAA compliant or not

I have a user screeching they need to keep their physical fax because of it and they dont trust our existing cloud fax service. I'm too busy with other things to give a poo poo but eventually will have to decide on something.

WWYD?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mythicknight posted:

I have a user screeching they need to keep their physical fax because of it and they dont trust our existing cloud fax service. I'm too busy with other things to give a poo poo but eventually will have to decide on something.

WWYD?

Yes, sorta. They just can't willy-nilly fax info all over the place, but if it's faxes to health providers, insurance companies, etc... then it's allowed.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

mythicknight posted:

WWYD?

It is, but it’s not the only HIPAA-compliant option. They’re just afraid of change.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Without defending faxes in themselves, I think a lot of folks like the idea of ramming paper into a machine, typing some known identifier and having it turn up at a destination. In itself, that desire is understandable.

However, being to afraid to change that to ram paper into a machine, press buttons, get a file in a known location and email that... sigh...

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Heners_UK posted:

Without defending faxes in themselves, I think a lot of folks like the idea of ramming paper into a machine, typing some known identifier and having it possibly turn up at a destination. In itself, that desire is understandable.

However, being to afraid to change that to ram paper into a machine, press buttons, get a file in a known location and email that... sigh...

FTFY

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Possibly turn up, and if it does, is probably illegible.

My mom had a penpal of sorts, and they'd share hand-written letters by fax. Which is kind of cute, but tl;dr, they've been emailing for the past 10 years since my mom finally got rid of her home business's fax line.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Sickening posted:

NO no no, this isn't how you do things and for the love of god I hope nobody read this and took this seriously.

A face to face conversation to make sure there isn't any misunderstandings is definitely the way I would go about it. Diplomacy is key. If this situation can get turned around, that is how you do it. Even if this person has made up their mind at the moment that you have to go, interviewing your replacement can sometimes open their eyes to how hard to get the perfect candidate is. They hired you for a reason. Keeping functional relationships with your boss and peers is critical.

Scorched earth when you don't even know for sure you are on your way out is dumb and should be heckled.

Too many people in this industry let themselves be walked on by bullies. Stand up for yourself and loving push back. If it costs you your job then the job wasn't worth having. They hired you for a reason, they should be the ones to act like it, instead of treating you like trash. Being a door mat for any reason is dumb and should be heckled.

If your boss is the one soaking the bridge in gasoline, you should be the one to start lighting matches.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

rndmnmbr posted:

Too many people in this industry let themselves be walked on by bullies. Stand up for yourself and loving push back. If it costs you your job then the job wasn't worth having. They hired you for a reason, they should be the ones to act like it, instead of treating you like trash. Being a door mat for any reason is dumb and should be heckled.

If your boss is the one soaking the bridge in gasoline, you should be the one to start lighting matches.

I agree with you to a point. Standing up for yourself is very valuable and is something I suggest a lot. Being civil and standing up for yourself can exist together. In fact THEY should exist together.

The rest of your post is loving garbage, fantasy land poo poo that isn't going to benefit anyone.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

A call came in for my coworker which had 3 people try to assist him before I arrived on it. The call was at 45 minutes. The issue was trying to find why when a user hit the 2 num pad button in their Citrix session it would cause them to launch a random http://abak/ website in IE. Logging into another thin client had the same issue, removing keyboard mouse etc made no change, looked in accessibility options and they were all turned off, logging in as myself it worked normally, deleting roaming profile didn't fix it, deleting user files made it still happen but a message about the shortcut not existing. Deleting both fixed it, logging off and restoring the user files it still worked normally when I logged in on my machine. Had user test, also worked. Cool we're good and it took nearly 2 hours.

Today she called back saying it returned. So because I said it took 2 hours I guess it meant I had to spend the missing time on finding why. Ran set in cmd seemed normal, logged into it myself again, worked fine, checked all favorites in IE, no link to what she saw. Start frantically googling and looking at random poo poo in registry. Look at her desktop hovering to see what the url for the shortcuts were... Wait. This one is the url. Right-click, properties, Shortcut Key: Num 2.

I asked the user to never keep her thin client logged in while she was in lunch again and chalked it up to a practical joke. Adding it to the ctrl+shift+arrow keys arsenal of rear end in a top hat things to do to someone.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Sickening posted:

The rest of your post is loving garbage, fantasy land poo poo that isn't going to benefit anyone.

This. It especially won't benefit the poster in question who has already stated that IT jobs in his area are few and far between, and moving is not an option due to kids.

It sucks, but sometimes you have to choose the paycheck over proving how much of a dick your boss is.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I'm apparently too big to fail.

Today was quarterly performance appraisals. The email to faculty was an order to the principal to see what faculty experience with IT has been. The principal editorialized the email so that responses would only be negative.

Ironically, every single response was glowing. He shared the email chain with me during the review and said my performance has been exemplary and the sentiment is shared with employees. (I noticed he conveniently left out the principal's initial request)

I got 5s across the board except for attendance (I'm a single dad, eat dicks) and appearance (I accidentally wore jeans once when the governor was on campus and I never tuck in my shirt because I am very oddly shaped OK A Y).

I also came prepared with the results of a satisfaction survey I submitted to all non-administrative employees last week. Average score on all responses was 4.8/5.

Nearly every person that responded included a comment at the end about how ridiculous it is that after 3 years they still have this as a single person department. One person commented that "the fact that this entire campus hasn't burned to the ground is a testament to Larchesdanrew's knowledge and commitment to this institution."

So, I still have a job.

I'm still looking for a job.

Also lol at the guy suggesting I storm into my boss's office and do a bunch of chest thumping.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Now you can unionize and have a work stoppage for better pay

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Now you can unionize
I know this is meant as a joke, but with his single vote equalling 100% support to form a union, this actually wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.

You should talk to Unifor or whatever the other big one is and see what would be involved.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

nexxai posted:

I know this is meant as a joke, but with his single vote equalling 100% support to form a union, this actually wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.

You should talk to Unifor or whatever the other big one is and see what would be involved.

Education tends to have very strong unions (source: I come from a family of teachers). You should be able to make some quiet inquiries and see if any of them apply to you.

When I was a web developer and print designer for a state university, I was part of the software engineers union by default.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

larchesdanrew posted:

..."the fact that this entire campus hasn't burned to the ground is a testament to Larchesdanrew's knowledge and commitment to this institution."

So, I still have a job.

Also lol at the guy suggesting I storm into my boss's office and do a bunch of chest thumping.

gently caress yeah, dude. That line would have me grinning for a while.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

I am friend-shaped
Fixed. :colbert:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Standing up for yourself is well and good, but we've already established that he's in an area where IT jobs are few and far in between and can't move away for good reasons. It does not make sense to start lighting fires without a plan to go elsewhere, and even then it's not very helpful or professional.

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm apparently too big to fail.

Today was quarterly performance appraisals. The email to faculty was an order to the principal to see what faculty experience with IT has been. The principal editorialized the email so that responses would only be negative.

Ironically, every single response was glowing. He shared the email chain with me during the review and said my performance has been exemplary and the sentiment is shared with employees. (I noticed he conveniently left out the principal's initial request)

I got 5s across the board except for attendance (I'm a single dad, eat dicks) and appearance (I accidentally wore jeans once when the governor was on campus and I never tuck in my shirt because I am very oddly shaped OK A Y).

I also came prepared with the results of a satisfaction survey I submitted to all non-administrative employees last week. Average score on all responses was 4.8/5.

Nearly every person that responded included a comment at the end about how ridiculous it is that after 3 years they still have this as a single person department. One person commented that "the fact that this entire campus hasn't burned to the ground is a testament to Larchesdanrew's knowledge and commitment to this institution."

So, I still have a job.

Glad to hear your review went well. Who was your review with if not the principal? Is he aware that the principal has it in for you?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Entropic posted:

Most of these places are used to like NEC or Nortel systems where they have line appearances. So they go from being able to press hold, hit the page button, and say “call for joe on line 2” to having to hit the “more” button on their phone screen to expose the Park button, park the call and remember the park code it displays, page “call for Joe on Park 7020”, then joe, if he’s lucky enough to have desk phone, has to dial that park code, or if he’s one of the poor schmucks they set up on Jabber he has to dial that in there except oops they forgot to send them headsets. So much simpler! Also they couldn’t figure out how to page through overhead and speaker phones simultaneously so it’s just the overhead now.
Did they get poo poo phones without enough buttons? Every VoIP system I manage (FreeSwitch/FusionPBX, Freeswitch/Kazoo, Asterisk/FreePBX, and Asterisk/Grandstream) supports having BLF buttons pointed at parking spaces directly. Users can either put a caller on hold and press a specific parking space or just push a "park" button which will read back to them which space it was placed in, then others can just pick up the phone and push that button to pick it up (or dial the parking space extension if they're on a cordless phone)

This shouldn't be a technically challenging problem as long as the right phones were purchased.

If you have users who just absolutely refuse to learn anything slightly different, figure out some business-friendly way to tell them to eat a bag of dicks. The concept of lines is dead, it's never coming back, and that's a good thing. Parking spaces, when used correctly, provide the same benefit.

quote:

Also they have to dial 9 1 (area code) before every number now when they were used to just dialing 7 digits for local.

minusX posted:

We can hit just 9 with our Cisco system and dial local. If we do 9 1 it assumes long distance and we require a pin for it, even if local (but not if 800 number).

GreenNight posted:

We just made it 8 1 so there are no mistakes.
We're not on mechanical phone switches nor connecting a physical outside line the moment you press the trunk access key anymore.

There's not really any good reason to require any of these. In 15 years in the VoIP industry I've never had a problem with just letting people pick up a phone and dial a number, either 10 or 11 digit style. We set up our systems to strip preceding 9s in case someone has bad habits and then just let it go. It works great and users who are used to cell phone dialing these days love it. We don't enable 7 digit dialing by default because most of our primary area has overlays, but we have done it by request. Trunk access codes are a legacy thing that made sense with the limitations of the ways things used to be done but aren't relevant to anything not involving actual analog lines.

minusX posted:

We have a message that plays saying make sure you really need it and it needs confirmation first. I don't know how legal that is.
NAL but I'm pretty sure that's not legal, or at least not a good idea. We looked in to what we could do when a resident at one of the nursing facilities we manage kept dialing 911 and our lawyer basically told us not that if a legitimate call is impeded we'd be vulnerable to a very expensive lawsuit. We eventually just got the facility to take her phone away.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 9, 2019

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

wolrah posted:

Did they get poo poo phones without enough buttons? Every VoIP system I manage (FreeSwitch/FusionPBX, Freeswitch/Kazoo, Asterisk/FreePBX, and Asterisk/Grandstream) supports having BLF buttons pointed at parking spaces directly. Users can either put a caller on hold and press a specific parking space or just push a "park" button which will read back to them which space it was placed in, then others can just pick up the phone and push that button to pick it up (or dial the parking space extension if they're on a cordless phone)

This shouldn't be a technically challenging problem as long as the right phones were purchased.

If you have users who just absolutely refuse to learn anything slightly different, figure out some business-friendly way to tell them to eat a bag of dicks. The concept of lines is dead, it's never coming back, and that's a good thing. Parking spaces, when used correctly, provide the same benefit.

We're not on mechanical phone switches nor connecting a physical outside line the moment you press the trunk access key anymore.

There's not really any good reason to require any of these. In 15 years in the VoIP industry I've never had a problem with just letting people pick up a phone and dial a number, either 10 or 11 digit style. We set up our systems to strip preceding 9s in case someone has bad habits and then just let it go. It works great and users who are used to cell phone dialing these days love it. We don't enable 7 digit dialing by default because most of our primary area has overlays, but we have done it by request. Trunk access codes are a legacy thing that made sense with the limitations of the ways things used to be done but aren't relevant to anything not involving actual analog lines.

NAL but I'm pretty sure that's not legal, or at least not a good idea. We looked in to what we could do when a resident at one of the nursing facilities we manage kept dialing 911 and our lawyer basically told us not that if a legitimate call is impeded we'd be vulnerable to a very expensive lawsuit. We eventually just got the facility to take her phone away.

Oh the phones have plenty of programmable softkey slots, the people responsible for programming the system just didn’t use any of them. And they’re pushing half their users onto Jabber softphone clients which apparently don’t support anything like BLF keys. The end users will absolutely hate it.

I’ve seen it a million times, big companies will roll out an expensive solution with good quality equipment and then half-rear end the implementation and try to cheap out on providing the equipment to all the people that actually need it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Eh it's not your problem, just try and deflect as much moaning as you can back to the support team that are responsible

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Antioch posted:

I had an absolute poo poo as a Director as well. He would constantly belittle the team, played favorites blatantly, and once had a screaming fit because we chose to use his home branch of the bank as a testbed, since it was the closest to the office. This screaming fit included calling myself and a coworker "incompetent children" and "absolute morons".

You weren't allowed to make decisions without involving him, but if you 'bothered' him with something he considered beneath him, which was everything, he acted like you had come to him with poo poo on your shoes. There was no winning any time you had to talk to him, so a lot of us just stopped trying. Which caused us to be labeled as cowards or lazy.

Our training budget was handled by HR but required signoff from the director, which literally in my three years under him never once happened. There was never a need or there "wasn't enough in the training budget" - mainly because he would spend the entire budget on jetting off to RSA Conferences and VMWare conferences for "Exploratory Exercises". During one of these conferences he ended up being quoted in the Washington Times and holy GOD ALMIGHTY you'd think he was the second coming of Christ.

Over the course of my employee there I went to HR twice to lodge complaints, and was told both times that "That's just the way he is, you need to learn to work with it". Good job HR, you're garbage.

Anyway the guy sucked like, a lot. When I put in my notice he refused to look at me for two weeks, and after I left I found out that he had tried to hold back my last paycheck for unrecovered expenses, and he torpedoed my going away party citing budget. Because a cake and 30 minutes of social time is just overkill for someone leaving the company after 11 years.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up running the IT department.

There was a director that... left my work within the last couple of years that sounds remarkably similar to this; yet I am almost positive this can't be the same company.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Ugh, we had the "dial 9 to get out, then 1 then...wait, what number was I dialing? I think it was 1, and then OH gently caress OH gently caress OH gently caress [hangs up]" problem for a while. I kept having to deal with the police on it, until I quietly disabled the ability to dial 911 directly from your desk. I'm pretty sure that's bad form, but my co-workers needed to be insulated from their own stupidity.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Ugh, we had the "dial 9 to get out, then 1 then...wait, what number was I dialing? I think it was 1, and then OH gently caress OH gently caress OH gently caress [hangs up]" problem for a while. I kept having to deal with the police on it, until I quietly disabled the ability to dial 911 directly from your desk. I'm pretty sure that's bad form, but my co-workers needed to be insulated from their own stupidity.

It's not just bad form, it's actually illegal from what I understand.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Proteus Jones posted:

It's not just bad form, it's actually illegal from what I understand.

I hope that office burns to the ground with everyone in it, so if no one has fixed it in the 11 years or so since I left, I don't care.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sickening posted:

I agree with you to a point. Standing up for yourself is very valuable and is something I suggest a lot. Being civil and standing up for yourself can exist together. In fact THEY should exist together.

The most important word in an IT professional's vocabulary is "No".

Sometimes it takes half an hour and 30 slides to pronounce correctly, but "No' is often your best answer.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I present my first ticket of the day in its entirety:

quote:

Good Morning,
I can not get my computer to open, I hav Chan
Sent from my iPhone

I have no idea who sent this. They sent it from a personal email address that has no identifying information in it. I am concerned, however, that they have apparently taken Chan hostage.

:shrug:

EDIT: A follow-up came in while I was writing that:

quote:

Good Morning, I can not get my computer working. I have changed the batteries but still want come on. Whenever you are available please stop by.
Thanks
Sent from my iPhone

I still don't know who this is.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

larchesdanrew posted:

I present my first ticket of the day in its entirety:

I have no idea who sent this. They sent it from a personal email address that has no identifying information in it. I am concerned, however, that they have apparently taken Chan hostage.

:shrug:

EDIT: A follow-up came in while I was writing that:

I still don't know who this is.

:ohdear: They're gonna torture Chan with a car battery! Don't take any chances, call the police! Let them handle this.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Obviously it's somebody external to the organisation trying to get in using social engineering, so you'd best wait until they say who they are and then contact them using details that already exist on file.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The principal will poo poo on him for not providing prompt customer service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

The principal will poo poo on him for not providing prompt customer service.

He would, if he weren't locked out of his computer.