Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

aas Bandit posted:

Just in case anyone here might be interested, I picked up Slasher's Keep today (Steam or Humble), and I'm really enjoying it.

It's a first person dungeon crawler with a really slick cel-shaded look to it, and includes melee combat (complete with block/riposte), ranged pew-pew with wands, shops to buy/sell stuff, a nicely done inventory, and even a relatively simple crafting system. The dungeon floors are entirely procedural, and seem to work really well; I haven't seen any terrible ugliness or broken things yet, after about 6 hours of play.

http://www.slasherskeep.info/screens/1.jpg
http://www.slasherskeep.info/screens/2.jpg
http://www.slasherskeep.info/screens/3.jpg
http://www.slasherskeep.info/screens/4.jpg

It's more a roguelite, since death means getting dragged back to your starting cell and losing all your possessions and money, but you keep the majority of earned attributes/levels (and you have an option to drop items down a trash chute from time to time, so that they'll be available to your newly-risen self).

The gameplay seems pretty well balanced, and careful resource management and equally careful play are both rewarded. There are a variety of sneaky/clever tactics you can use from traps and thrown bombs to sneak attacks and just generally using the environment (e.g. dodging behind geo to block enemy shots). You can also use the ever-popular exploding barrels, or swing your weighty inventory sack into enemies to send them flying into handy spiked walls.

And there's nothing like desperately eating tiny crawling bugs off floors and walls to regain an extra sliver of health. :spiderguy:

The game is made by one dude, who does programming, art, animation...everything. And it's way better than I was expecting.

Edit: It *is* currently in early access, but has been for quite a while, and seems pretty drat polished at this point.

Slasher's Keep is really fun, but what really sticks out for me is it's sense of humor. It shows through just enough to have an uncanny quality to it, like the gentlemoleman shopkeeper and orc pinup posters, but it's never played up as more than environmental detail. To the player, they're jokes. To the characters, that's just the way this weird world is.

The crafting system is fun, too. You get to build your weapon out of parts on a blueprint map, so you can put the head or blade and any accessories on it anywhere along the shaft or hilt. That lets you make something truly unique rather than a short sword that's a little shinier than other short swords like in other games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

OutOfPrint posted:

the gentlemoleman shopkeeper and orc pinup posters

Yeah, the one poster with the orc swinging his generous scabbard made me laugh the first time I saw it on the wall. It's a weird place.

The crafting system took me a bit to grok, and then once I did, I realized it added a whole new layer of risk/reward to the game (i.e. "Do I stuff my limited inventory full of immediately valuable things that I can sell, or do I load up on crafting components hoping to find enough to make a Weapon Of Death?").

One lesson I learned last night is to scour the floor you're on for components before actually committing to creating something. I made a pretty decent firey shortsword, and then found a mace head that was literally 4x better a couple of rooms later after I'd used everything up. :cripes:

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Has anyone tried Dicey Dungeons? How does it play?

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I've played a bunch of Dicey Dungeon and it rules. The dice mechanic is leveraged to a great extent and the changing playstyles of each additional character (as well as the challenges that unlock) give it a lot of depth. The music and art are very charming too!

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Just popping in to say dicey dungeon loving rules. It's pretty much as simplistic as a roguelike can be (you get X dice a turn, insert them into equipment to do things) but it goes as hard as it can with the concept.

A winning run should only take like 30 minutes, but each class plays completely different and has like 5 themed runs with different modifiers that drastically changes how you have to play.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
gently caress it, sure, I'll pick it up.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Dicey dungeons looks like a perfect phone game. I see some mentions of android being a maybe, anyone know if it's happening?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It's a 10/10 on Destructoid which is an accomplishment. ...And I was going to complain the header image is grammatically incorrect, but the internet is telling me dice is acceptable in the singular now. What has society come to....

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

ItBreathes posted:

It's a 10/10 on Destructoid which is an accomplishment. ...And I was going to complain the header image is grammatically incorrect, but the internet is telling me dice is acceptable in the singular now. What has society come to....

No, no, no, never. This is too far. I will dice on this hill.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
By extension: dices.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
It is quite possibly the single greatest mechanical champion the d6 has ever known---we could only be so lucky if they go mad with power and ambition to manage a similar feat in the future with the d20.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ExiledTinkerer posted:

It is quite possibly the single greatest mechanical champion the d6 has ever known---we could only be so lucky if they go mad with power and ambition to manage a similar feat in the future with the d20.

have you ever heard of the D20 system

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

When’s that Tydy DLC coming out anyway. I’ve been waiting to start another void bastards game for over a month since I keep thinking it’s about to come out. I;m thinking about thos Bastards

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
More class and racial finery renewed in Caverns of Xaskazien II~

https://virtua-sinner.itch.io/caverns-of-xaskazien-ii/devlog/94688/cox-2-ver-08702-release

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Has anyone played Shadowcrawl, and is it any good? Its got a 80s retro look and sounds almost like a Diablo-like from their store's description, it's also pretty cheap right now so not really worried about blowing money, but if it's :mediocre: I'd rather save my time.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Im_Special posted:

Has anyone played Shadowcrawl, and is it any good? Its got a 80s retro look and sounds almost like a Diablo-like from their store's description, it's also pretty cheap right now so not really worried about blowing money, but if it's :mediocre: I'd rather save my time.

I havent spent much time with it but its super loving weird. It's definitely a turn basedl roguelike but pretty simplified with only a couple buttons outside of movement. For $3 it's probably worth it to check it out?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Did any one get into the beta for the Double Fine RAD game? Reading the steam forums the game seems pretty fun but really shallow.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

BexGu posted:

Double Fine.... pretty fun but really shallow.

But you repeat yourself.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
how did everyone decide psychonauts was some kind of classic? I don't even remember what the gameplay was actually like.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
It has very good writing. The gameplay is third person platforming with a lot of bad parts but the story carries it

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

BexGu posted:

Did any one get into the beta for the Double Fine RAD game? Reading the steam forums the game seems pretty fun but really shallow.

I played it for around two hours. Was a fun isometric platformer where you hit stuff with a bat. Also had performance issues that have since been ironed out I was told.

Never got very far or figured out the gimmick for grabbing items in the pools of toxic water that damaged you.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I played the beta. Was really hard though and I couldn't get past the first boss and each run was too similar to really keep at it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Jupiter Hell got its first EA patch, adding in energy weapons (pistol, rifle, shotgun), element-based status effects (fire fiends are now much more dangerous in terms of attrition due to burning DoTs), explosive barrels with status effects (very useful when circumstances allow for it, like freezing big dudes), new grenades (EMP, gas grenades that are basically offensive smoke grenades), and other various tweaks.

Sadly, it did not resolve the placeholder boss' summons counting for full kills yet, which led me literally being one kill away from 100% and the saltiest I've ever been about JH in my first run after the patch.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
come on doom 2 worked this out in the 90s, summons and revives let you get over 100% kills but don't contribute to less than 100%

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

No Wave posted:

how did everyone decide psychonauts was some kind of classic? I don't even remember what the gameplay was actually like.

It was a novel concept and good writing from a developer that was already loved for their novel concepts and writing. Also, at the time I got it, I think it was basically the only 3d platformer available for PC.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

No Wave posted:

Visual design was fantastic and the writing as already mentioned was very good and the gameplay, while not stellar, mostly kept up.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The gameplay didn't entirely fall apart until the Meat Circus which was at the very end of the game. By that point you were invested enough to either be satisfied with how far you got or driven to complete it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
TBF I think the JH placeholder boss summons less dudes now, considering I'm only 1 kill short instead of 3 or 4. It's just that you more or less need something that can kill them as they appear, because once the boss starts moving towards you, you cannot break focus at all or you will die.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

pumpinglemma posted:

Has anyone tried Dicey Dungeons? How does it play?

To echo the other responses, I've been enjoying it a lot too. At its heart it's a straightforward game of building a loadout and taking it against a bunch of fights, but the abilities have a lot of interesting synergy so there's a lot of potential to build engines, especially on the much weirder characters you unlock after a few runs.

My one potential complaint about it so far is that unlike most roguelikes it starts out quite easy; you have to compete a few runs before it lets you run it in more difficult modes. Fortunately it has a lot of modes with a pretty wide range of difficulty and randomness. The modding support seems to be pretty comprehensive too, so that should give it a long tail.

It might be worth its own thread if there isn't one already? I couldn't spot one on the first couple of pages.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Caverns of Xaskazien II's itch.io page posted:

A rich, graphical game,

Also Caverns of Xaskazien II's itch.io page posted:

no screenshots
:raise:

EDIT: wait, there they are, what the hell

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Question for the thread, an anybody name any examples of Roguelikes with integrated plot metaprogression? The only example I can think of is a PS2/Wii Roguelike called Baroque, where advancement of the story is persistent across runs in what I remember being a slightly nonlinear way. It also integrates the story into the runs, such that you actually can't beat the story on your first time through.

An example is the tutorial, which basically tosses you into the dungeon and you expect to die, fast, at which point it spawns you at the town and you start your runs. However you can actually get to the end of the tutorial if you know what you're doing, which gives you an interesting plot hook before it again dumps you in the town. You basically have to go and do specific things and then die to progress the plot, but they aren't really signposted and the whole experience is...sometimes frustrating.

This seems like something that would be an interesting idea to play around but I can't really think of any games that do it. I remember Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter was supposed to be a game you did a bunch of runs in? but my only experience with it is watching speedruns, and those just blow through the whole game real fast.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Everspace

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah Everspace is the only thing I can think of that really fits that description. It even explains your multiple deaths/attempts via clones.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Heat Signature has the ongoing liberation campaign your ill-fated rebels are undertaking, but it's kinda light on the narrative fluff.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
The Hades game on the Epic Story handles it pretty well. You play the son of Hades and every time you die you just go right back home. The story expandes the more you die and talk to people.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

BexGu posted:

The Hades game on the Epic Story handles it pretty well. You play the son of Hades and every time you die you just go right back home. The story expandes the more you die and talk to people.

Yeah that's a really cool part of Hades. Friendly NPCs in the hub will have different dialogue depending on how you died, where you died, etc. Also bosses will have different dialogue depending on whether you defeated them last time you fought them, or you killed them, or whatever. (I was also really impressed when I entered a boss fight with only a sliver of health on my bar and she taunted me about how I've already done most of the work for her -- felt very natural) It does an excellent job making "runs" feel like one part of a comprehensive story

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Angband 4.20 :420: is out, looks like there are some new classes.

http://rephial.org

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

MORE TAXES WHEN posted:

Question for the thread, an anybody name any examples of Roguelikes with integrated plot metaprogression?

Necrodancer. The different difficulty modes are selected by playing as different characters; Cadence, Melody, and Aria's play modes have associated cutscenes that connect together and tell the overall story of the game. It counts as metaprogression as you have to unlock Melody and Aria by completing runs with prior characters.

By a similar token, Monolith has Normal and Hard difficulties represented by different ships, and it's pretty clear that Hard happens after Normal. Monolith doesn't have a lot of plot, but it doesn't have none.

Everspace is a lot closer to what I think you're talking about though. Maybe Azure Dreams also qualifies? It has a sort of dating-sim mode in the town at the base of the tower, and you can progress in that as you make attempts at climbing the tower.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

MORE TAXES WHEN posted:

This seems like something that would be an interesting idea to play around but I can't really think of any games that do it. I remember Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter was supposed to be a game you did a bunch of runs in? but my only experience with it is watching speedruns, and those just blow through the whole game real fast.

Yeah, Dragon Quarter isn't randomised but kind of has a permadeath mechanic - you can make soft saves and hard saves. Soft saves are deleted as soon as you load them so you don't lose progress; hard saves aren't, but if you revert to one you lose most of your accrued character progress. Losing fights in DQ is kind of difficult since your protag can godmode at-will, but it runs down a timer that leads to an unavoidable game over.

Restarting from the beginning lets you keep your characters' gear and a limited allocation of items, as well as any unspent XP (there's two XP resources, one which is gained immediately and one which you can choose whether to spend).

Successive runs unlock additional scenes, which gives you more information about the plot, and completing the game gives you a rank based on stuff like speed of completion and final character level. Your rank controls what areas you're allowed to access and additional cutscenes, so if you complete the game really well you get to see more content.

I really liked Dragon Quarter, but never 100%'d it, partly because getting the best rank required you to defeat a secret challenge dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

MORE TAXES WHEN posted:

Question for the thread, an anybody name any examples of Roguelikes with integrated plot metaprogression?

Shiren the Wanderer did this on a small scale, where the two towns in the game had small story-lines involving townsfolk that you could progress over a number of runs.