Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

KozmoNaut posted:

24-bit doesn't do this over 16-bit, it literally cannot do that by simply having more bits per sample.

Either the master is different, the volume is different or you're imagining things.

Depending on the settings, the iTunes version could also be less than ideally encoded to AAC. In that case, the CD-quality version would be a better comparison against the "hi-res" snake oil version.

I was talking specifically itunes 256kb vs 24 bit. Not even 320kb MP3 quality. It's not great.

Here's the 24bit version I bought. If you're keen buy a copy and make your own decision after an A/B test https://www.zdigital.com.au/artist/daft-punk/release/random-access-memories-5823747?f=20%2C19%2C12%2C16%2C17%2C9%2C2 between that and itunes quality for the downloads.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Aug 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

256kbps AAC is superior to 320kbps, unless you're using a really bad encoder. It's a much newer format, which reaches audible transparency at lower bitrates, and doesn't have the inherent unsolvable issues of MP3, especially pre-echo.

"Hi-res" audio is a complete scam. That is genuinely all there is to it.

The only way to do any kind of acceptable A/B test is to encode everything yourself, from the exact same source, and to level match everything (some lossy codecs will sometimes slightly attenuate the signal to avoid intersample overs from clipping the signal). Comparing two random downloads off the internet proves nothing.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

KozmoNaut posted:

Comparing two random downloads off the internet proves nothing.

Then I've got nothing. Please continue on your crusade to convert and enlighten the heathen masses.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
So uh, headphones. I picked up some Tin T3s and the cable alone feels like it's worth the price of admission, it's a gold and silver 8 core braided deal and it's soft and comfortable and just feels premium in the hands. As far as the sound, the mids feel a little scooped and the treble feels boosted compared to T2s which is fine, I adjusted the EQ on my dap to roll off the treble a bit which is working well.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

internet celebrity posted:

So uh, headphones. I picked up some Tin T3s and the cable alone feels like it's worth the price of admission, it's a gold and silver 8 core braided deal and it's soft and comfortable and just feels premium in the hands. As far as the sound, the mids feel a little scooped and the treble feels boosted compared to T2s which is fine, I adjusted the EQ on my dap to roll off the treble a bit which is working well.

I had the same experience as you, the T3 cable was worth the price of admission alone. The fact it's a great little unit is an added bonus. It's like buying a really fancy cable and they throw in some nice hybrid IEMs as a bonus.

Plus I don't know if you've tried it but walking around town with your blinged up loving gold plated cables is pretty funny when people give you a "what the gently caress?" kind of stare.

(wide bore tips if you want more bass on those)

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Aug 9, 2019

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

DancingShade posted:

If you're into exotic crazy high-res formats like MQA (if you're a studio mixer you might want this)

Imma let you in on a little secret, audio engineers generally think audiophiles are ridiculous, and would never bother putting an mqa on a portable device because that represents .0000001 of the listening population. Any flaw you hear in that format isn't representative of anyone's real listening experience, so it's a waste of time.

Tracking with 24 bits of dynamic range is wonderful. More dynamic range means easier level control and less compression to tape. There's no chance of that dynamic range actually surviving the mix process, but it's very handy when recording. We'll send a big uncompressed file out to the mastering engineer when we're done, but at that point there's absolutely no way there are 16 bits of range left in the mix, let alone 24.

96khz / 192khz is just a straight up waste of space over 48khz, nobody can hear the difference.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Imma let you in on a little secret, audio engineers generally think audiophiles are ridiculous, and would never bother putting an mqa on a portable device because that represents .0000001 of the listening population. Any flaw you hear in that format isn't representative of anyone's real listening experience, so it's a waste of time.

Tracking with 24 bits of dynamic range is wonderful. More dynamic range means easier level control and less compression to tape. There's no chance of that dynamic range actually surviving the mix process, but it's very handy when recording. We'll send a big uncompressed file out to the mastering engineer when we're done, but at that point there's absolutely no way there are 16 bits of range left in the mix, let alone 24.

96khz / 192khz is just a straight up waste of space over 48khz, nobody can hear the difference.

That's cool.

DancingShade posted:

Yeah I don't want to seem like I'm advocating for MQA. It's just a format I used as an example for potential file size.

It's fine to shriek about snake oil and I encourage people to do so. The topic was data storage.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 9, 2019

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I only collect flac because why not. I can reencode into whatever the latest data saving format is for my phone. Even having a decent sized collection, its still way less than 1tb.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
My Jaybird X3s just developed intermittent sound in one ear due to a loose wire connection that I'm pretty sure is irreparable. I was going to move on to some X4s but the reviews have me worried. I mostly listen to podcasts and audiobooks so I'm not trying to overpay for best-in-class audio. I just want a reliable set with good bluetooth connectivity and secure in-ear fit. The X3s would routinely get jittery connection when I played basketball with the connected phone within 20 feet. I also use them when sleeping so a small profile would be preferred.

Any recommendations in the $50 - $120 range? Thanks in advance.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Salvor_Hardin posted:

My Jaybird X3s just developed intermittent sound in one ear due to a loose wire connection that I'm pretty sure is irreparable. I was going to move on to some X4s but the reviews have me worried. I mostly listen to podcasts and audiobooks so I'm not trying to overpay for best-in-class audio. I just want a reliable set with good bluetooth connectivity and secure in-ear fit. The X3s would routinely get jittery connection when I played basketball with the connected phone within 20 feet. I also use them when sleeping so a small profile would be preferred.

Any recommendations in the $50 - $120 range? Thanks in advance.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/beats-by-dr-dre-geek-squad-certified-refurbished-beatsx-earphones-black/6348603.p?skuId=6348603

I bought these over a year ago for about the same price and have had no issues.

IMO they are the best bang for the buck in that price range.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Hello thread. I've been using a pair of wireless Sony MDR XB650 BT headphones for about a year now, and I've been pretty happy with them. Unfortunately, they've broken beyond repair. I'm tempted to just buy the same pair again, but I thought I'd shop around a little.

I'd like to keep things around or under 100 bucks, and I'm aware that that limits my options, particularly as I want them to be wireless over-ear or on-ear headphones. I'm not a super stickler for sound quality, but something with a healthy oomph when it comes to bass would be nice, as I listen to a decent amount of electronic music. Before these headphones I used a pair of Brainwavs HM3 headphones for several years and was generally very happy with them (though they did get a bit uncomfortable after a few hours, probably because my head is weirdly big).

Montalvo fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 12, 2019

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

If you just want cheap durable and functional Bluetooth earphones I like Anker, their products tend to be very good for their price ranges

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Wheeee posted:

If you just want cheap durable and functional Bluetooth earphones I like Anker, their products tend to be very good for their price ranges

I have a pair of wireless Anker earbuds that I use for going on runs, I'd like something slightly pricier to use in the office or while commuting.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

I haven't heard them as they're impossible to find in my country, but the Cambridge Audio Melomania are true wireless and very well reviewed from what I've seen, and I believe they run around $100ish USD.

What makes them stand out at that price point is their support for both AAC and AptX codecs, meaning they'll sound good on either iOS or Android devices. If they're beyond your acceptable price range, look for alternatives that work with either AAC (iOS) or AptX (Android) codecs, as that will be the largest factor in sound quality.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Thank you for the suggestion! I'm actually looking only for over-ear or on-ear headphones but I'll bear those in mind for when I'm looking to upgrade my wireless earbuds. I'll edit my original post to make sure it's clearer that I'm looking for headphones.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

I can't offer any specific options at your budget, but Sony and Audio Technica both make some good Bluetooth headphones in the $100-200 range.

They won't necessarily be audio nerd approved, but Skullcandy tend to be popular with normal people who've never heard of something so ridiculous as an amplifier for headphones.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
My Etymotic ETY IEMs are almost dead and I’m thinking of moving towards closed over headphones that are wireless this time around.

Everyone seems to love the Sony WH-1000XM3, is that the way to go? Assuming they are comfortable.

They are a bit above my price range so I’m keen to hear if there are any other headphones to check out. I’m keen on neutral, detailed sounding if possible.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

I've only listened to the WH1000XM3 in a store but they were boomy and muddy sounding with too much exaggerated bass. I actually liked the H900 a lot more, though their ANC isn't quite as good.

If you like neutral tuning and Etys by all means try the XM3, but definitely try before you buy.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Wheeee posted:

I've only listened to the WH1000XM3 in a store but they were boomy and muddy sounding with too much exaggerated bass. I actually liked the H900 a lot more, though their ANC isn't quite as good.

If you like neutral tuning and Etys by all means try the XM3, but definitely try before you buy.

Yeah after doing more reading I realise they aren’t really very neutral.

Anything else you would recommend trying?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

I have owned a pair of ATH-DSR7BT for a while now and am torn on whether I'd recommend them; they are significantly better tuned and more detailed than the Sony and Bose Bluetooth headphones I've listened to, but they suffer from a high noise floor resulting in an audible hiss when you have the volume turned up on quiet tracks such as classical or jazz. Aside from that hiss (And the lack of ANC) they sound much better than their competitors imo

Ultimately unless you need ANC a better solution to Bluetooth headphones is a Bluetooth DAC/amp that you can plug wired headphones into, such as the ES100 or BTR3K. Even the best wireless headphones are good for wireless headphones.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Wheeee posted:

I have owned a pair of ATH-DSR7BT for a while now and am torn on whether I'd recommend them; they are significantly better tuned and more detailed than the Sony and Bose Bluetooth headphones I've listened to, but they suffer from a high noise floor resulting in an audible hiss when you have the volume turned up on quiet tracks such as classical or jazz. Aside from that hiss (And the lack of ANC) they sound much better than their competitors imo

Ultimately unless you need ANC a better solution to Bluetooth headphones is a Bluetooth DAC/amp that you can plug wired headphones into, such as the ES100 or BTR3K. Even the best wireless headphones are good for wireless headphones.

While I agree I did get one of those Fiio dongles to do this for my Etys and while convenient in some ways you still have to deal with the wires which is annoying if I’m honest.

Edit: any opinions on the Plantronics Back Beat 2 pro?

Red_Fred fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 13, 2019

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Nope, sorry

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The specific price point of the Plantronics Back Beat Pro 2 is very competitive so you're basically looking at wireless offerings from every manufacturer. Best to walk into a consumer store where you can at least try them all on and find the best fit.

Comfort first and all that.

I haven't tried them myself so can't offer an opinion. They look nice though.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Just got a really good deal on a Sennheiser HDVD800. Now I just need the seller of the HD800S I was looking at to reply.

evobatman fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Aug 14, 2019

lua
Jun 16, 2013

Sri.Theo posted:

Has anyone seen any video reviews of the Sony WF-1000XM3’s that actually test it’s ‘automatic’ adjustments? Unbox therapy showed the options in the app but didn’t test it. In particular I work in a noisy place but still want to be able to hear people when they talk to me. If it’s able to to automatically detect when people are talking to me and pipe voices through and lower ambient noise cancellation that would be fantastic.

On the WHs (over-ears), which are apparently similar, ambient sound mode is excellent and I use it at work all the time. It’ll pipe in external sound in a way that greatly increases your situational awareness compared to normal headphones, and you can choose to have it focus on voice + choose from 20 different levels.

Adaptive sound control automatically toggles between ambient sound and noise cancelling modes based on what it thinks you’re doing. This is often annoying because it doesn’t always guess right and plays a chime every time it changes. Fortunately you can turn this off in the app and just use ambient or noise cancelling as you see fit.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
What are some common reasons one IEM would gradually become quieter than the other? I've checked obvious things like grime buildup but that's not what's going on. It also doesn't cut in and out so I don't think it's a connector issue.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

internet celebrity posted:

What are some common reasons one IEM would gradually become quieter than the other? I've checked obvious things like grime buildup but that's not what's going on. It also doesn't cut in and out so I don't think it's a connector issue.

Ear canal wax? Hearing loss? Dying electronics somewhere in the chain?

Swap ears with them and see what happens.

If plugging in another pair sounds normal and there is no apparent physical reason maybe something physically went bad inside one of the IEM housings.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Aug 14, 2019

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

DancingShade posted:

Ear canal wax? Hearing loss? Dying electronics somewhere in the chain?

Swap ears with them and see what happens.

If plugging in another pair sounds normal and there is no apparent physical reason maybe something physically went bad inside one of the IEM housings.

I had a multi-driver IEM have either a driver go bad, or the crossover gently caress up not long ago. So that's another option, not much that can be done about it beyond replacement though.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

evobatman posted:

Just got a really good deal on a Sennheiser HDVD800. Now I just need the seller of the HD800S I was looking at to reply.

Aaaaaand secured an OK price for a pair of HD800S. Now I have sent a bunch of money into the aether, and I just have to wait for shipping and hope I'm not scammed!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

And "pop" goes the Burson Playmate. Dead in less than six months. External power brick still "fine" (apparently, the green light comes on at least) but the back of the amplifier now smells slightly of burnt plastic and is utterly dead.

Warranty time. Hopefully it was a single unit defect and not an issue across the whole line.

At least it didn't kill the headphones I was using at the time :toot:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Okay while my favorite amp is off to the makers that be (Burson) for repair I have something else to talk about.

A while back I (pre?)ordered myself a pair of Sony XB900N wireless headphones because sometimes I want to dance like a moron in the privacy of home without worrying about cables and received them today. Went for the full consumer friendly doof-doof XB version because gently caress it why not. Sometimes you have to deviate from sensible neutral.

They're actually pretty good for what they are. Soundstage & imaging isn't terrible at all. Tested using the following albums:

https://kinggizzard.bandcamp.com/album/polygondwanaland
Go straight to track #8 Horology, should be 4 distinct far left/right, mid left/right audio sources in the opening that kick in one at a time plus a slight hum in your left ear until the intro is over.

Of course both Letter and In The Distance from Yosi Horikawa, if you know his work I don't need to say anymore or why.
https://yosihorikawa.bandcamp.com/album/wandering-ep

And some synthwave because I love this genre:
https://absolutevalentine.bandcamp.com/album/american-nightmares
I'd say track 6 Razorblade Kisses is exactly what these headphones were made for.

So short version is these are actually very nice sounding wireless headphones and the "overwhelming bass" delivers without ruining the rest of the experience. One caveat - if you already have basshead tracks you like well... you can't listen to them using these. At all. The overwhelming bass isn't a joke. A pair of XB900N put heavy bass into tracks where there normally isn't any, and will 18" battleship gun your ears if your favorite track(s) already have a lot of sub bass. Whatever you do watch out for your ears because you only have one pair for life.

Comfort? Sure, it's very good. Lightweight etc. Big dumb head approved.

Fatiguing? Yeah if you feed these music with a lot of bass... well you already know what the outcome is going to be. I think the best music pairing is anything that doesn't already have much happening below 100hz. Because you're about to get a lot in that region and god help you if your tracks already have a lot of thump.

Overall I'd say these are fit for purpose and deliver as advertised. If that sounds like your thing they're a viable option but make sure it's what you want because I'll say it again "overwhelming bass" isn't just for marketing. I like.

Update - if you want to knock the bass down to vaguely normal set yourself an EQ with -10 DB at 60 Hz and -5 DB at 170 Hz. It'll still be a deep bass response but your hearing won't be at risk. Leave the rest alone and don't worry about pre-amp settings since you aren't boosting anything.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Aug 16, 2019

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Hi thread. I'm looking for headphones that are:

a) active noise-canceling
b) are powered by USB cable (not battery)

I have a pair of these, which I'm really happy with, but I'm kind of tired of having to charge them frequently. Since I sit on front of my computer all day, I figured I wouldn't mind something that is always connected and powered via USB.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I've been having some trouble with my Beyerdynamic Amiron where the sound in the left earcup was, softer, dropping or becoming fuzzy. After testing the headphone audio with my phone instead of Magni/Modi, and swapping the left/right cables, it appears that the the cable is the problem as the left cup played perfectly and the right was messed up when I switched them.

Now my question is are there are any recommended cables that have both 3.5mm L/R and 3.5mm main connection? Are there any recommended brands/sites to look at? The cable I bought on Amazon turned out to have a 2.5mm connection, and I don't see any 2.5mm to 6.35mm adapters.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TyrantWD posted:

I've been having some trouble with my Beyerdynamic Amiron where the sound in the left earcup was, softer, dropping or becoming fuzzy. After testing the headphone audio with my phone instead of Magni/Modi, and swapping the left/right cables, it appears that the the cable is the problem as the left cup played perfectly and the right was messed up when I switched them.

Now my question is are there are any recommended cables that have both 3.5mm L/R and 3.5mm main connection? Are there any recommended brands/sites to look at? The cable I bought on Amazon turned out to have a 2.5mm connection, and I don't see any 2.5mm to 6.35mm adapters.

https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/collections/earphone-cables/products/hm5-replacement-cables (cheap)

Or perhaps

https://periaptcables.com/ (fancier, costs more, make sure to pick the right cable type & termination you want)

Not enough bling?

https://www.mimic-cables.com/collections/sleeved-cables/products/custom-headphone-cable (again, costs more)

They're all going to sound the same so unless you have a burning desire to get something fancy then go cheap.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
I've been curious about the amirons. How do they sound?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

ChazTurbo posted:

I've been curious about the amirons. How do they sound?

https://youtu.be/bhSUJYDO0Qo

dude’s an engineer and respected, no woo

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 18, 2019

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Wheeee posted:

https://youtu.be/bhSUJYDO0Qo

dude’s an engineer and respected, no woo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc-_lOvrzuU

joshua valour is also a great reviewer. also tend to agree w/ Josh more than metal, though they both were underwhelmed by the focal elex much like I was. Johua's use of descriptors is more clear in so far as describing the actual sound, esp regarding soundstage.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Metal571, Zeos, Joshua Valour are great reviewers.

Another one I like is William Murdock but he tends to ramble a lot (good info if you sift through that) and he doesn't post that frequently. But if you're into HIFIMAN, Kennerton or more exotic boutique stuff he's your guy.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

No

Zeos is a loving meme, never listen to him, dudes a hype generator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Except I've bought all my current headphones on his recommendations and they've all been good? Phillips SHP9500, Mayflower modded Fostex TRP Mk3's, and Koss Porta Pros.