Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

necrotic posted:

im also an idiot who continues to use vim. ive spent too much time getting all my terminal poo poo just how I like it to migrate to other options at this point.

oh, i have no problem with that. after all, i'm a child who needs colours and pictures to help me work with a core part of my job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

me at work & at home:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvBD1Rh86tI

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

necrotic posted:

im also an idiot who continues to use vim. ive spent too much time getting all my terminal poo poo just how I like it to migrate to other options at this point.

my excuse for still using vim is that i spent a long while working with locked-down BSD systems where vi was the only option other than ed.

that and my debugging strategy of hot-patching within running containers because lol interpreted languages

floatman
Mar 17, 2009
I once knew a guy who was terribly condescending about people choosing not to use command line git.

This was the same guy that declared, "I don't use docker because I tried it 2 years ago and didn't like it." So instead of docker, web projects in that company had this structure:
To start working on a web project, first you got to pull the web project repository into your computer.
Next, you have to pull this special repository called "infrastructure" and make sure it's on the same directory level as the project you just pulled.
After which, go to the project directory and type "make-abc-xyz", in which "abc-xyz" are totally arbitrary strings. I.e. if it's a Laravel project it's "make-laravel" or "make-silverstripe" for some other weird rear end framework.
After doing the initial make, be prepared to execute many other "make-what-thefuck" commands from terminal. The follow up commands are non standard, and change from project to project, and for God's sake don't just type "make" because it'll start registering and pulling down production settings.
Finally, once all the make is done, nothing works because to run the PHP server it all depends on hard coded PHP executable paths that assume you have this old specific version of a MAMP stack that you need to pay for.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

floatman posted:

I once knew a guy who was terribly condescending about people choosing not to use command line git.

This was the same guy that declared, "I don't use docker because I tried it 2 years ago and didn't like it." So instead of docker, web projects in that company had this structure:
To start working on a web project, first you got to pull the web project repository into your computer.
Next, you have to pull this special repository called "infrastructure" and make sure it's on the same directory level as the project you just pulled.
After which, go to the project directory and type "make-abc-xyz", in which "abc-xyz" are totally arbitrary strings. I.e. if it's a Laravel project it's "make-laravel" or "make-silverstripe" for some other weird rear end framework.
After doing the initial make, be prepared to execute many other "make-what-thefuck" commands from terminal. The follow up commands are non standard, and change from project to project, and for God's sake don't just type "make" because it'll start registering and pulling down production settings.
Finally, once all the make is done, nothing works because to run the PHP server it all depends on hard coded PHP executable paths that assume you have this old specific version of a MAMP stack that you need to pay for.

I still haven't figured out how to use Docker for a production-like set-up, but I'm really happy that
I've managed to figure out how to make a somewhat acceptable dev environment using it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
red hat's set of container tools seem to take the core ideas of docker and implement them in a way that doesn't involve being docker

still not in a hurry to use them tho

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

Arcsech posted:

intellij's built in git thing is really good actually, and so is the merge tool

yeah it rules

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

pseudorandom posted:

I still haven't figured out how to use Docker for a production-like set-up, but I'm really happy that
I've managed to figure out how to make a somewhat acceptable dev environment using it.

fwiw you wouldn't want to use docker itself directly, instead you'd be using docker images as a vehicle for moving artifacts around. the images themselves would then be run using some orchestration system like kubernetes. dockerd sucks and nobody should touch it

yes it's a cambrian explosion alphabet soup at the moment but hopefully things will narrow down as investment money dries up

floatman
Mar 17, 2009
From what I did with docker, I think it's great that you could just pull down a repo and run a set of common docker commands to get your local Dev setup.

I understand if people don't want to use docker. What I don't understand is people who don't want to use docker, then proceed to make their own in house lovely version of docker that doesn't even work.

I just remembered that that "infrastructure" repository was shared among all projects, so once in a while your project would fail to boot because MR 10X decided to mess around with the code for some other project breaking other unrelated projects in the process.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
always use “git rebase -i “

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

floatman posted:

From what I did with docker, I think it's great that you could just pull down a repo and run a set of common docker commands to get your local Dev setup.

oh right i completely forgot about the use case of running things locally on your machine, in which case plain ol' docker to pass around your dependencies is totally acceptable and even preferable if e.g. youd otherwise be stuck with some bullshit trashfire dependency management such as whats offered by go or python

i just meant for like running the production setup. for that specifically it's more like dockerd-ont

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

also update on my dumb life: I'm back in a team lead position for an international company. I got to hire someone, which I haven't done before. although they sent my new hire a contract which they signed, corporate hasn't signed it themselves and I can't seem to navigate the lovely process of getting them added to Slack and all that. it makes me kinda nervous but I've had execs tell me it's 100% gonna get done and we're already working together regardless. just make me kinda nervous.

I didn't get a pay increase and nor did I ask for one. I think my previous lead has some doubt about what we're doing, since it's kinda new territory/R&D, but it's actually 100% what I was hired to do on day one and (the team) just never got done. so there's a bit of pressure, but I'm confident at the moment because of the cocaine!

it sounds kinda solid, but half the reason I got this position is because of a big beef that happened between me and another guy on the old project. I was employee #2 and this new guy came in (I think I posted about it here 1000 pages ago) and did a whole bunch a annoying stuff, which in part led to like 75% of our plans and processes for the project being dropped. my old lead said they were "adapting to the team", but shouldn't they lead the team to fulfill objectives rather than drop features cause so-and-so didn't like them? what the gently caress?

I stayed clear of the guy as much as humanly possible so the tension could die down, but he never stopped harassing and starting poo poo with me which I never engaged in. the lead on that project refused to discipline or fire the guy because he thinks he's a genius for no reason, so they opted to try move us to different projects. I took that opportunity to connect with other executives and fully take the lead on a new project :)

that actually made my former lead act a little strange. first asked me to work 60% on his project and I said I can't commit to any amount yet, but can take on overflow work later on. said I should do things this way and that way to make things "backwards compatible" but I said our (previous) project abandoned sharing components and never worked from a universal design document, so doing that would require very messy code that tries to detect if the app using the components is new or our 5-month older one (his). I said nah, just implement our stuff over time and adopt the components gradually if/when they are not compatible, and we'll version them to try help. so next day he said I might get fired or whatever for over-reaching, but he had to concede once I explained that I got approval from the right people and all is good.

so yeah I'm back on top (a position I use to be basically anti-lead and just facilitate folks doing what they do best, mentoring softly when they need help, and peer programming as much as possible to build knowledge and create a healthy team culture).

still, I have to break away from the on-premise part of the job which is only a few hours a week that I barely adhere to. anyway, it's going pretty good.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

red hat's set of container tools seem to take the core ideas of docker and implement them in a way that doesn't involve being docker

still not in a hurry to use them tho

Openshift is definitely an improvement but it still feels like it has a long way to go. We tried using helm with it but that was a mistake, it's almost easier to just manage the config by hand.

it suffers a bit from poor documentation and being half kubernetes half over stuff, so if you want to do something you'll find a load of articles about how to do it in plain kubernetes which isn't what you want

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

git --rebonghit

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
rancher is the answer, OpenShift has too much proprietary poo poo in it that's different than k8s native and That's Bad because it's IBM messing around in there.

if you're using it as a service, ok fine but don't run your own, use rancher.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
If stack overflow doesn't require kubernetes then odds are that your bullshit fart app doesn't either

Have you considered using libraries whose api stability periods are not measured in weeks?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Sapozhnik posted:

If stack overflow doesn't require kubernetes then odds are that your bullshit fart app doesn't either

Have you considered using libraries whose api stability periods are not measured in weeks?

afaik this isn't an option if you work in web development

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i have no opinions on docker for production, but for local dev purposes I’m always happy to see a dockerfile. at worst it’s an authoritative list of deps that doesn’t accidentally depend on things he developers happened to have installed globally.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
after having used bitbake a bunch at work, I really really wish I was back on docker. Raspberry pis can be a docker host just fine we're not stretching the hw at all.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
docker and k8s are pretty good. we run prod clusters in 5 aws regions, a staging cluster, and a dev cluster and they're perfectly needs suiting

my team doesn't manage the cluster tho and outages can be a pain because our operations team is in a different time zone but those are pretty infrequent

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
what I want to know is: for my personal stuff I have 1 VM running container os. what i would like is something that I can change the image tag in a single file and it'll update to the new image and then keep it up. right now i have to ssh in, docker down, docker pull, docker up manually.

i deffo do not want k8s, and docker swarm still seemed more for multiple machines in a cluster?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
If you change the image it has to restart, if that's what you mean by keep it up. Otherwise, without something to manage the container (an orchestrator) you'll have to do the down/pull/up. docker-compose could at least remove the pull step, and maybe even a single restart command would see the change to the compose file.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

necrotic posted:

If you change the image it has to restart, if that's what you mean by keep it up. Otherwise, without something to manage the container (an orchestrator) you'll have to do the down/pull/up. docker-compose could at least remove the pull step, and maybe even a single restart command would see the change to the compose file.

that's a pretty good suggestion! yeah I don't mean anything hotloading or whatever, just restart it if it crashes.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

gonadic io posted:

after having used bitbake a bunch at work, I really really wish I was back on docker. Raspberry pis can be a docker host just fine we're not stretching the hw at all.

Yocto is terrible.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Serverless seems like it'd be nicer to live with in prod than containers but obviously some apps don't fit in that particular hole

I will say a lot of the container ecosystem seems to be built to solve problems that containers have, themselves, created

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
serverless is just per request billing

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
it's funny that it only becomes serverless when you have a poo poo-ton of servers

animist
Aug 28, 2018
take a look at my serverless website:

[picture of a book]

also. i'm always infuriated by programmers who think "basic understanding of HCI" is just weakness. like no, i don't want to use deliberately awful interfaces if i can avoid it

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
i have a little program that generates text files. specifically, it takes a bunch of mods for the game dominions 5, puts them all into one file, and then replaces the IDs used so that there aren't conflicts.

however it seems to also randomly place one large block of null bytes in the middle of the file. which line it does it on seems to be different each time too, and there's only ever one.

wtf could possibly be happening? it's in rust so i'm hoping i don't have memory corruption. i looked at the lines surrounding the block, and their original locations, and couldn't see anything weird - none of the input files have the null bytes in them.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

animist posted:

take a look at my serverless website:

[picture of a book]

also. i'm always infuriated by programmers who think "basic understanding of HCI" is just weakness. like no, i don't want to use deliberately awful interfaces if i can avoid it

you will never become a project manager with that attitude

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I was once tasked with doing something on the front end of our site and once I started posting js libraries for CLI poo poo in our work slack that task got reassigned to someone else pretty quick

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

take out the code that writes the null bytes op

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

gonadic io posted:

i have a little program that generates text files. specifically, it takes a bunch of mods for the game dominions 5, puts them all into one file, and then replaces the IDs used so that there aren't conflicts.

however it seems to also randomly place one large block of null bytes in the middle of the file. which line it does it on seems to be different each time too, and there's only ever one.

wtf could possibly be happening? it's in rust so i'm hoping i don't have memory corruption. i looked at the lines surrounding the block, and their original locations, and couldn't see anything weird - none of the input files have the null bytes in them.

maybe you are replacing ids with shorter ids but keeping the string the same length?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I was once tasked with doing something on the front end of our site and once I started posting js libraries for CLI poo poo in our work slack that task got reassigned to someone else pretty quick

lol clever trick

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

power move :hmmyes:

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

pseudorandom posted:

Assuming you've got C++ experience, or are good in other languages and don't need an intro level book, I really like Effective C++; paired with Effective Modern C++ would probably be good.

Once I finally understood them, I really started to like C++ templates. I recall starting to use them for fun type-safety stuff, and traits, to satisfy my desire to be programming in Rust instead.

late reply, but i just want to point out that C++ Templates, 2nd Edition is a book but maybe that was :thejoke:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

me, today: drat this massive nested interface object structure is pretty clever, also reflection is cool

me, in 6 months time: gently caress, why did I use reflection this is a pain in the assssss

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

im hitting a debug assert in my c# app but cannot attach a debugger for some reason is there a way to get the full stacktrace outta the stupid lil abort/retry/quit window

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bloody posted:

im hitting a debug assert in my c# app but cannot attach a debugger for some reason is there a way to get the full stacktrace outta the stupid lil abort/retry/quit window

no, but if you find out i'm wrong please let me know so i can go back in time and punch myself

god that was a bad day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

me, today: drat this massive nested interface object structure is pretty clever, also reflection is cool

me, in 6 months time: gently caress, why did I use reflection this is a pain in the assssss

being clever is never, ever worth it

My coworkers are often clever.